Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,954 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:56 PM

My Thoughts And Questions About Religion - Religion (95) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Thoughts And Questions About Religion (229370 Views)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / Questions About Demon Possession - Nairaland Demonology Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) ... (130) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by MuttleyLaff: 9:18am On Jan 21, 2019
kkins25:
""The female G-sp0t (clitoris, which is the equivalent of the base of a males joystick) is even in the wrong position.
God has forced men to use their tongue to obey His commandment;"
- by kkins25(m): 12:03pm On Jan 18
"

Here we go again. undecided undecided undecided
surely, I would do my best, however nairaland is substituting g--spot for centre of gravity, so u may have mistook g--spot for the actual centre of gravity as I see in question 2... I never referred to the actual centre of gravity of the human body.
but you are responding are you saying you and I are in the same league. I'm flattered.
I was in no way discussing about centre of gravity. Blame S.eun for not finding a more appropriate phrase to replace the g--spot. Next question.
I have already stated that I agree with your statement and explained earlier. @bolde I was referring to equivalence in terms of anatomy, i actually meant sensitivity to stimulus. Pardon my error once again.
everyone knows this. I bet my peniis that my 98% of the women in mine and your village have not experienced g--post orgasms. Which means the peniis was not properly designed to caress the g--spot.
Correct me if I'm wrong, with regards to the male g*spot, kindly tell us how it can be accessed. Because like you said I know Nada.
oh yeas sir, I never disagreed. However it was, we know that to do that the man would either hve to have a peniis large and a bit curved up wards to stimulate the g*spot. That's why the easiest positions to was doggy style where friction would be focused on the surface the g*spot resides.
the male g*spot I believe is the postrate gland. Which can only be accessed through anal penetration. I'm not into sex with guys so I don't know much. Do enlighten me. The female g*spot on the other hand is even somewhat a debate. Because it appears when the female is aroused as a rough tissue. You already know this. No need for long talk.
I have seen how and where the misunderstanding with center of gravity came about because of pesky bot used it to replace the word G-sp0t. Well you might need to re-read my original post to catch up where edits have been to reflect G-sp0t(s). Accolades to you for spotting the pesky bot causing misunderstandings with actual centre of gravity of the human body. You still have plenty flaws though, am going like "Argh! For crying out loud, what's wrong with this dude mehn..."

As I was earlier saying, there are still too many holes more than a Swiss cheese in your post submission, but since you dont want long talk, I'll respond to one or two major anomalies and ill-informed

1/ The fact and truth is unlike what you typed, the G-sp0t is not the clitoris, do you accept and agree?
2/ The clitoris is the equivalent of the pennis, and unlike what you typed, it or the G-sp0t, are not the equivalent of the base of a males peniis, do you agree and accept this?
3/ You cant deny that you have the impression that when giving a woman head, you're with your tongue stimulating her G-sp0t, aint that so?
4/ Contrary to what you believe, the peniis is properly designed to caress the G-sp0t, as I've all along earlier said, it is work, it is a marathon exercise, you just have to keep on thrusting to lead to the promised land. Now you didnt know that the male center of gravity can be stimulated from outside, just as the female G-sp0t, as well too can be stimulated from outside as in no penetrative sex going on, or did you know?
5/ I am pleased we have you, a Don Juan in the house, well are you aware that aside doggly style, the missionary position too is another way to get the female G-sp0t stimulated whilst being penetrated?
6/ Are you aware of the techniques, the angles, the props involved for both the doggy and missionary styles, even watering can/libido styles sef too that after a prolonged thrusting will lead the partner to the promised land?
7/ Now, if you conceded that the peniis, started as a clitoris, then you'll understand why female and male G-sp0ts are homogeneous and located in the same part of the human body, then why are you contesting that the female and male G-sp0ts are not homologous? Dont you know that the female center of gravity is the female prostate? There really isnt that much of a fundamental functional difference, is the point
8/ I am feeling despondent, having to talk and explain things about the sources of the male and female secretions to a Cassanova like yourself.
Now wonder, you've never in your life and wildest dreams, giftedly brought any woman to squirt before, you havent left a woman writhing and peaking from a marathon work of successful ultimate G-sp0t stimulation before. How can you, when you dont even know nor believe in its existence, huh? My man, says, its subjective, what a hilarious remark coming from a Don Juan
9/ Working at the prostate for long enough is required for both female and male to sexually benefit from the stimulation, some turn back before the destination, that is why sweet success is elusive.
10/ You dont seem to understand the concept of "know" during love making. Do you know that "know" has to do with discovering, exploring, finding out things, looking for sensual parts, detecting what makes the other tick, sexually quirm and/or purr like a cat, find out the likes and dislikes etcetera?

You keep saying hearsay, and that is because you personally havent experienced giving and seeing another receiving from you stimulating their G-sp0t from the outside. Well, some of us have salary to earn, I am already late stepping out, havent even brushed my teeth, have a bath, talkess getting dress and have breakfast yet, so I'll pause at this juncture until as soon as possible chance to return back and maybe continue from where I've paused
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:13am On Jan 22, 2019
WE DON'T WANT A CURE!

When I berate religious beliefs for the harm they cause, especially for violence and killing, I can be sure someone will try to rebut me by saying there are other causes of violence to worry about, like greed, anger and envy.

This is like a doctor who announces a cure for HIV being shouted down by fellow doctors because he hasn't found the cure for heart disease!

Let's be clear. Religious beliefs are the root cause of much violence, killing and conflict. Religious beliefs can divide families and lead to the neglect and abuse of children. Religious beliefs underpin systemic discrimination against minorities and women and they promote superstitions that take us back thousands of years and make us gullible and vulnerable.

Despite all these things, there is not a single god that can be shown to exist or a single religion that can be shown to be true. Religion is truly a human disease.

We may not need to accommodate religion and its evil fruits, we may just need to continue to fight to cure it.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by MuttleyLaff: 8:09am On Jan 22, 2019
joseph1013:
WE DON'T WANT A CURE!

When I berate religious beliefs for the harm they cause, especially for violence and killing, I can be sure someone will try to rebut me by saying there are other causes of violence to worry about, like greed, anger and envy.

This is like a doctor who announces a cure for HIV being shouted down by fellow doctors because he hasn't found the cure for heart disease!

Let's be clear. Religious beliefs are the root cause of much violence, killing and conflict. Religious beliefs can divide families and lead to the neglect and abuse of children. Religious beliefs underpin systemic discrimination against minorities and women and they promote superstitions that take us back thousands of years and make us gullible and vulnerable.

Despite all these things, there is not a single god that can be shown to exist or a single religion that can be shown to be true. Religion is truly a human disease.
We may not need to accommodate religion and its evil fruits, we may just need to continue to fight to cure it.
"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved,
clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and longsuffering.
"
- Colossians 3:12

God is the only and single God among other gods, who is self-existent, compassionate and true. The one religion, that God approves of and takes to be true, pure and which you cant find a fault with, is compassion and/or empathy to others.

It is a travesty that compassion, now seen and known as a noun, used to be a verb. There is a nobility in compassion, a beauty in empathy, and a grace in forgiveness, says Irish writer, John Connolly
cc kkins25, Ranchhoddas, 9inches, PastorAIO, frosbel2

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 4:01pm On Jan 23, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved,
clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and longsuffering.
"
- Colossians 3:12

God is the only and single God among other gods, who is self-existent, compassionate and true. The one religion, that God approves of and takes to be true, pure and which you cant find a fault with, is compassion and/or empathy to others.

It is a travesty that compassion, now seen and known as a noun, used to be a verb. There is a nobility in compassion, a beauty in empathy, and a grace in forgiveness,, says Irish writer, John Connolly
cc kkins25, Ranchhoddas, 9inches, PastorAIO, frosbel2
The post modernist type compassion that calls evil good and good evil. The type of compassion that sacrifices human life on the altar of convenience. Am I right?

3 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by kkins25(m): 7:20pm On Jan 23, 2019
9inches:

The post modernist type compassion that calls evil good and good evil. The type of compassion that sacrifices human life on the altar of convenience. Am I right?
Not to forget the anhiliation of the sodomites and gomorrans..
Also the constant outrage towards innocent inhabitants of the milky lands of canaan. wink wink wink
I haven't even mentioned the Allah-ish commandments about stoning to death and so forth in the book of punishment they call levicticus.
When it comes to violence, I agree with MuttleyLaff, jehova is Lord. wink wink wink
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by kkins25(m): 7:49pm On Jan 23, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
I have seen how and where the misunderstanding with center of gravity came about because of pesky bot used it to replace the word G-sp0t. Well you might need to re-read my original post to catch up where edits have been to reflect G-sp0t(s). Accolades to you for spotting the pesky bot causing misunderstandings with actual centre of gravity of the human body. You still have plenty flaws though, am going like "Argh! For crying out loud, what's wrong with this dude mehn..."

As I was earlier saying, there are still too many holes more than a Swiss cheese in your post submission, but since you dont want long talk, I'll respond to one or two major anomalies and ill-informed

1/ The fact and truth is unlike what you typed, the G-sp0t is not the clitoris, do you accept and agree?
yes. Nonetheless, I mentioned in my second reply to you, I think, that my gspot was in quotes.
2/ The clitoris is the equivalent of the pennis, and unlike what you typed, it or the G-sp0t, are not the equivalent of the base of a males peniis, do you agree and accept this?
there is concord between you and I on this. However, unlike what you typed, the penis wasn't a clitoris. Check previous reply.
3/ You cant deny that you have the impression that when giving a woman head, you're with your tongue stimulating her G-sp0t, aint that so?
Ahh, common mehn. I'd have to be a giraffe. I completely deny such allegation. I object my lord!! .
4/ Contrary to what you believe, the peniis is properly designed to caress the G-sp0t, as I've all along earlier said, it is work, it is a marathon exercise, you just have to keep on thrusting to lead to the promised land. Now you didnt know that the male center of gravity can be stimulated from outside, just as the female G-sp0t, as well too can be stimulated from outside as in no penetrative sex going on, or did you know?
it wouldn't need to be a marathon if the penis was designed to itch the gspot. Furthermore more, the penis shape and size is different for different races and individuals so, if a peniis can stimulate the gspot in the casual missionary position then it is a lucky dude in the peniis' evolutionary trend.
Less I forget,, that sex is sole for reproduction (from an biological perspective). However, like I mentioned earlier sir, that to ensure that the organism makes considerable effort to reproduce- the sweet sensation were evolved.
Conditioned learning: an organism would repeat a behaviour if it is beneficiary. Biology has nothing to do with orgasm of the female human. She doesn't need climax to reproduce.
5/ I am pleased we have you, a Don Juan in the house, well are you aware that aside doggly style, the missionary position too is another way to get the female G-sp0t stimulated whilst being penetrated?
grin grin. Enlighten me on the external stimulation... Would add it to my kamasutra collection. grin grin
6/ Are you aware of the techniques, the angles, the props involved for both the doggy and missionary styles, even watering can/libido styles sef too that after a prolonged thrusting will lead the partner to the promised land?
sure. This i know. But this was developed as a result of experimentation involving trials and error. This knowledge was not an installment by God as you suggest.
7/ Now, if you conceded that the peniis, started as a clitoris, then you'll understand why female and male G-sp0ts are homogeneous and located in the same part of the human body, then why are you contesting that the female and male G-sp0ts are not homologous? Dont you know that the female center of gravity is the female prostate? There really isnt that much of a fundamental functional difference, is the point
I completely agree. However with me you have to be more precise with your information.
Saying the peniis was a clitoris isn't scientifically correct. For the common man yes. You are right on spot. But for me, you would have to say that during the stage of development of the peniis, it differentiated from a structure called tubercle(the clitoris originated from this structure too) , as I informed you earlier.
8/ I am feeling despondent, having to talk and explain things about the sources of the male and female secretions to a Cassanova like yourself.
grin grin grin grin.. Noo need, im aware.
Now wonder, you've never in your life and wildest dreams, giftedly brought any woman to squirt before, you havent left a woman writhing and peaking from a marathon work of successful ultimate G-sp0t stimulation before. How can you, when you dont even know nor believe in its existence, huh? My man, says, its subjective, what a hilarious remark coming from a Don Juan
9/ Working at the prostate for long enough is required for both female and male to sexually benefit from the stimulation, some turn back before the destination, that is why sweet success is elusive.
I used different methods to arrive at same goal. What's the hustle there?
10/ You dont seem to understand the concept of "know" during love making. Do you know that "know" has to do with discovering, exploring, finding out things, looking for sensual parts, detecting what makes the other tick, sexually quirm and/or purr like a cat, find out the likes and dislikes etcetera?
i guess me and the bible authors have to learn this new defination of know. I guess Abraham didn't properly "know" how to bang sarah until the holy spirit gave him some kamasutra lessons before he then "knew" his wife. grin grin grin

You keep saying hearsay, and that is because you personally havent experienced giving and seeing another receiving from you stimulating their G-sp0t from the outside. Well, some of us have salary to earn, I am already late stepping out, havent even brushed my teeth, have a bath, talkess getting dress and have breakfast yet, so I'll pause at this juncture until as soon as possible chance to return back and maybe continue from where I've paused
Hahaha.. Ohh my man, outside, inside, its all the same. Unless the squirt nature different. But if the nature is the same, then why go to sokoto for orgasm when it's just in your sòkoto(pants) ... Adios amigo.

Hey one last Q&you keep mentioning marathon which by you, is defined as the careful and slow steady...... U know what.. Sir, are you into some sex mantras grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 12:12pm On Jan 24, 2019
WHO ARE THEY KIDDING?

Ask a god-believer why they believe in their god and there's a good chance they will start explaining how the universe could not create itself, so there must be a creator.

BULLS...IT!! This is horribly dishonest. Let's imagine how a believer might pray if it were true.

"Hello creator. I don't know if you can hear me or if you want to hear me but I'm reaching out to you. You might know I exist or you might not. Or you might not care anyway. You might be able to communicate with me or you might not or you might not want to. I don't know.

I don't know if you are male or female or both or neither. I don't know if you are huge, small, subatomic or look like an octopus. I don't know if you are a lone creator or whether you were a member of a team of dozens or billions of creators.

I don't know if you are wise or stupid, loving or hateful, kind or wicked or maybe you are none of these things. Or perhaps these ideas are utterly incomprehensible to you.

I don't know if you care how I live or what I wear or how I cut my hair or what I should do with my prepuce. And if you do care, I don't know what you would like.

I don't know if you are alive or dead or if you have moved on to other universes and lost interest in us. I don't know where you came from or even if you were ever alive. Perhaps you never were. Perhaps, you were no more than a glitch in quantum time that made all hell break lose.

The truth is, I don't know anything about you at all. But I would like to. Honestly I would. And that's why I'm praying to you today."

But this is not how god believers pray. They pray to specific gods, with specific prophets and specific holy scriptures with specific rules and rituals.

They do not pray to whatever being/force/entity/process might have created the universe. That is just the excuse they give to salvage some dignity, when none is deserved.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 1:50pm On Jan 24, 2019
joseph1013:
WHO ARE THEY KIDDING?

Ask a god-believer why they believe in their god and there's a good chance they will start explaining how the universe could not create itself, so there must be a creator.

BULLS...IT!! This is horribly dishonest. Let's imagine how a believer might pray if it were true.

"Hello creator. I don't know if you can hear me or if you want to hear me but I'm reaching out to you. You might know I exist or you might not. Or you might not care anyway. You might be able to communicate with me or you might not or you might not want to. I don't know.

I don't know if you are male or female or both or neither. I don't know if you are huge, small, subatomic or look like an octopus. I don't know if you are a lone creator or whether you were a member of a team of dozens or billions of creators.

I don't know if you are wise or stupid, loving or hateful, kind or wicked or maybe you are none of these things. Or perhaps these ideas are utterly incomprehensible to you.

I don't know if you care how I live or what I wear or how I cut my hair or what I should do with my prepuce. And if you do care, I don't know what you would like.

I don't know if you are alive or dead or if you have moved on to other universes and lost interest in us. I don't know where you came from or even if you were ever alive. Perhaps you never were. Perhaps, you were no more than a glitch in quantum time that made all hell break lose.

The truth is, I don't know anything about you at all. But I would like to. Honestly I would. And that's why I'm praying to you today."

But this is not how god believers pray. They pray to specific gods, with specific prophets and specific holy scriptures with specific rules and rituals.

They do not pray to whatever being/force/entity/process might have created the universe. That is just the excuse they give to salvage some dignity, when none is deserved.

Also they say things like the god cannot be investigated yet they know its name is Yahweh or whatever else they call it, as well as the other attributes of the god. How did you know these things if you can't investigate the god?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 4:14pm On Jan 24, 2019
Olatunde Olayinka Ayinde wrote:

My 18 month old daughter doesn't know who Jesus or Allah are. She has no idea of heaven or hell. Neither does she have a complete clarity as to what constitute good or bad behaviour. But somehow she gets to behave within acceptable limits at home and outside the home. How does she achieve this without the threat of hell or heaven?

From when she was born, two things regulated her behaviour: physiological needs such as hunger and primitive instincts such as pleasure. She couldn't be reasoned with to forgo or delay pleasure or feeding.

Now when she eats her food, she sees everyone beaming with approval. Sometimes she gets clapped for. Many times she gets called a good girl for behaving well. We have started shaping her behaviour with praise, cajole, reward and approval. These are positive reinforcements. Occasionally she gets yelled at for bad behaviour. Or someone shouts "no no" when she's about to be mischievous.

When someone is crying or pretending to be crying, she rubs the person's head and says "sorry". Now she's the shoe monitor, shouting all over the place: "wear your shoe!" when she notices that you're not wearing yours, even when you're in bed. When she's eating bread and you're not, she's willing to share hers with you (one tiny bit though, lol).

All of this without knowing about any deity. Good behaviour at this age is partly a balance of the selfish survival instinct and altruistic behavioural carryover from our more humble ancestors, which is later reinforced and modified by the socialization process of living among older more experienced humans in the family and at school - all of that positive and negative reinforcements. This, children at this age share with other primates. For example, monkeys can appreciate fairness. Even lower animals can understand kindness and some have been noted to exhibit altruistic behaviour.
Beyond this age is where humans begin to have problems. This age is the crossroad. All you have to do now is take the 18 month old to Saudi Arabia to live with a Muslim family and in another 20 years she will be absolutely certain that Allah is the source of her good behaviour. Or take her to India. Or any other country with any religion of your choice and the result would be the same.

The seed of good behaviour was present. Religion simply hijacks it. When children begin to talk and reason, adult humans begin to enforce good behaviour by associating it with the pleasure or displeasure of the deities they are familiar with. And this is the point of human divergence in the attribution of moral behaviour.

Interestingly, the natural ingredients of good behaviour already resident within children and already in formation by the socialization process of the home environment need not be derailed by religious myth. Reason and reality can sustain it beyond this age. It is all about teaching children to play, to explore the world, to enjoy things that give them pleasure, but to also be kind to others, to be empathic, to know the things that gives them pain and avoid them for themselves and for others. To know that there are others who might want to inflict pain on them and protect themselves.

The natural world is quite sufficient to teach good behavior to children using naturally occurring, reliable and verifiable resources in themselves and around them. Resources that remain applicable and true anywhere and at every age.

16 Likes 9 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 3:40pm On Jan 28, 2019
THE JOKE'S ON ME!

Someone from Nairaland sent me a DM at the weekend that reminded me of a joke I first heard over 15 years ago.

He said he used to read my posts everyday. He never commented on them but he would shake his head and wonder how I could be so stupid and misunderstand so much. But over a period of three years, he began to see things differently and, eventually, realised he could no longer believe in the god he was raised to worship.

A few months ago, he decided to go through my old posts and spent several hours reading them. As he read he felt physically shocked. How could the passage of time have transformed stupid posts into wise ones? As it usually happens, I just start seeing LIKES flying all over the place.

And the old joke? When I was 15, I couldn't believe how little my parent knew. When I was 25, I couldn't believe how much they had learned in 10 years!

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 3:45pm On Jan 30, 2019
WHO DO YOU HAVE FAITH IN?

Why do some people believe God exists?
Because someone told them he does.

Why do some people believe the Qur'an is true?
Because someone told them it is.

Why do some people believe the Qur'an is perfect?

If you believe in God, you don't have faith in God,
you have faith in the people who told you about God.

If they were wrong, so are you.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 5:05pm On Jan 30, 2019
joseph1013:
Why do some people believe God exists?
Because someone told them he does.

Why do some people believe the Qur'an is true?

YOU CAN'T TELL THEM THIS GOD ISN'T REAL BECAUSE SUDDENLY, THEY NOW FEEL HIM IN THEIR HEARTS EACH TIME THEY PRAY, LISTEN TO SERMONS, OR GOSPEL SONGS.

I WONDER WHY NON-CHRISTIANS DON'T FEEL JESUS IN THEIR HEARTS.
I WONDER WHY NON-MUSLIMS DON'T FEEL ALLAH IN THEIR HEARTS.
I WONDER WHY BUDDHISTS FEEL ONLY BUDDHA, AND ATHEISTS FEEL NO GOD(S).
I WONDER WHY PEOPLE HAVE TO HEAR ABOUT GOD(S) FROM OTHER PEOPLE, BELIEVE, AND PRETEND THAT THEIR BELIEF IS THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH BEFORE THEY CAN GET TO "FEEL" THE TRUE GOD(S) "IN THEIR HEARTS".

THE REALITY OF THIS IS THAT PEOPLE BELIEVE NOT BECAUSE THEIR BELIEF IS THE TRUTH. PEOPLE ONLY BELIEVE BECAUSE THEY LEARNED TO BELIEVE FROM OTHER PEOPLE, WHO ALSO LEARNED TO BELIEVE FROM OTHER PEOPLE.... AND THE EXTENDING CHAIN OF MADNESS CONTINUES.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 9:11am On Feb 01, 2019
LOGIC & THE RELIGIOUS SCEPTIC

"Aliens visit us."
"I won't believe that unless you can prove it's true."

"The position of the stars determines your future."

"Homeopathy can cure cancer."

"If you need something, ask the universe and you'll get it."

"An invisible God exists who made you and loves you."
"I'll believe that unless you can prove it's not true." undecided

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 8:34pm On Feb 03, 2019
RELIGION.... WORSE THAN HARD DRUGS.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 9:40am On Feb 04, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:
RELIGION.... WORSE THAN HARD DRUGS.

These Lord's Chosen guys are a different species.

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 12:42pm On Feb 04, 2019
joseph1013:
LOGIC & THE RELIGIOUS SCEPTIC

"Aliens visit us."

"The position of the stars determines your future."

"Homeopathy can cure cancer."

"If you need something, ask the universe and you'll get it."

"An invisible God exists who made you and loves you."
"I'll believe that unless you can prove it's not true." undecided

This was me until I looked at my god beliefs and asked myself what support I had for it, just like I asked for the others.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 4:02pm On Feb 04, 2019
YOUR FEELINGS AND GOD

If you ask people why they believe in God, most will give you a reason derived from logic (however, tortured and broken it may be) but a sizable minority, ignore logic and rely entirely on their feelings. The question is, are feelings a valid way to determine what is true?

A person might say something like, "I know God exists, I feel him in my heart.".

I have no reason to doubt that this person really does experience feelings but what are feelings and what conclusions can you draw from them? There is quite an extensive scientific literature on the subject. Feelings arise from the release of chemicals--neuropeptides and neurotransmitters in the brain and hormones in the bloodstream. The feeling you get depends upon the mix and quantity of chemicals released and can range from acute fear to utter bliss.

These chemicals also send signals to your body to prepare it for something that is happening or about to happen, for example, for eating, running, sex or pain.

The release of chemicals is triggered by the brain, specifically by what the brain believes is happening. But there is a problem--the brain is rather easily mistaken. For example, the brain might believe you are about to have sex and trigger all the right hormones but actually you are only dreaming or watching pixels change colour on a PC monitor while watching xvideos!

Or the brain might believe a large spider is approaching and trigger fear and flight hormones only to discover it was a falling leaf. I expect everyone can relate incidents in which strong emotions were triggered by a false alarm.

Actually, even a suspicion can be enough to set the brain off. For example, the suspicion that your boyfriend has been cheating on you might be enough to create powerful emotions.

There are two points here, feelings are triggered by beliefs and the brain is easily fooled into believing things that are not true.

So when someone says they feel God in their heart, they are really saying, when their brain believes God is present it triggers neuropeptides that make them feel fantastic. Logically, this is the same as saying, "I believe in God because my brain believes in God".

It's not much of an argument but it has an attribute that makes it very persuasive--it is a positive feedback loop. The more you believe, the stronger the emotions and the stronger the emotions, the more you believe.

We must conclude that feelings are not evidence for the existence of God--they are only evidence of your belief in the existence of God. If you want to find out if God exists, don't look inward at your brain, look outward at the world.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:27am On Feb 05, 2019
WHERE DID YAHWEH COME FROM?

For many years scholars have thought that Yahweh was an adaption of the Canaanite god El. In this short video, Christine Hayes lists some of the evidence.

Once we know the source of Yahweh, his credibility as a real character becomes about the same as the credibility of Harry Potter.

Christine is the Robert F. and Patricia Ross Weis Professor of Religious Studies at Yale University.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADikz5rAjJU
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:16am On Feb 06, 2019
INDOCTRINATED AND LOVES IT!

I'm a fan of Street Epistemology. Here's a great interview from the Cordial Curiosity YouTube channel. In this video Tia explains she is a committed Christian and would never change her mind.

But why does she believe? She believes because... she believes. Recognise yourself?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-M1EyhcRS8
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 9:08am On Feb 06, 2019
IF YOUR ATM CARD GETS STUCK IN THE MACHINE, OR AN E-TRANSACTION FAILS YOU DON'T GO TO THE BANK AND COMPLAIN.

YOU SIMPLY WALK HOME TO CRY AND PRAY BECAUSE THINGS FAILED DUE TO INSUFFICIENT FAITH.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:25am On Feb 07, 2019
GETTING IT RIGHT

When I'm writing something, there is something I always do before I hit the Enter key. I ask myself if I am confident everything I've written is true. If I have doubts about any sentence, I modify it, research it or delete it.

If I ever do post anything with errors, it is not because I haven't tried--it is because I've failed. I wonder what would happen if my religious friends took the same approach?

I don't think there would be anyone left to argue with... ??

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 2:36pm On Feb 07, 2019
joseph1013:
GETTING IT RIGHT

When I'm writing something, there is something I always do before I hit the Enter key. I ask myself if I am confident everything I've written is true. If I have doubts about any sentence, I modify it, research it or delete it.

If I ever do post anything with errors, it is not because I haven't tried--it is because I've failed. I wonder what would happen if my religious friends took the same approach?

I don't think there would be anyone left to argue with... ??

RELIGIOUS PEOPLE ARE CONFIDENT WHAT THEY SAY AND TYPE ARE TRUE. AND JUST LIKE YOU, BEFORE THEY PUBLISH ANYTHING THEY ALSO RESEARCH. BUT ONLY FROM THEIR BIBLES, PASTORS, AND OTHER RELIGIOUS PEOPLE.

I'M SORRY TO BREAK YOUR HEART BIG BROTHER BUT RATIONAL THINKING AND CRITICAL EVALUATION OF MATTERS BEFORE MAKING CONCLUSIONS DO NOT EXIST IN THE HANDOUT OF A RELIGIOUS PERSON WITH A RELIGIOUS HOLY BOOK.
"GOD DID IT" IS ENOUGH FOR THEM NO MATTER WHAT THE QUESTION IS. THERE'S A LOT MORE PAIN WE HAVE TO ENDURE EXISTING TOGETHER WITH THESE PEOPLE.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 1:49pm On Feb 08, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:

RELIGIOUS PEOPLE ARE CONFIDENT WHAT THEY SAY AND TYPE ARE TRUE. AND JUST LIKE YOU, BEFORE THEY PUBLISH ANYTHING THEY ALSO RESEARCH. BUT ONLY FROM THEIR BIBLES, PASTORS, AND OTHER RELIGIOUS PEOPLE.

I'M SORRY TO BREAK YOUR HEART BIG BROTHER BUT RATIONAL THINKING AND CRITICAL EVALUATION OF MATTERS BEFORE MAKING CONCLUSIONS DO NOT EXIST IN THE HANDOUT OF A RELIGIOUS PERSON WITH A RELIGIOUS HOLY BOOK.
"GOD DID IT" IS ENOUGH FOR THEM NO MATTER WHAT THE QUESTION IS. THERE'S A LOT MORE PAIN WE HAVE TO ENDURE EXISTING TOGETHER WITH THESE PEOPLE.

Now that you mentioned it, I wonder how it's not so obvious to me.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 6:13am On Feb 09, 2019
Nwobodo Fortune Chukwuemeka wrote:

For the umpteenth time, I'll ask again...

Why aren't Catholic priests allowed to get married?

Seriously!
As usual, people will quote obscure, outdated verses from the Bible but ask yourself, is it really worth it?
Will they lose their anointing or anything if they get married?
The Anglican priests getting married, have they died? Has the church collapsed?
For over a thousand years leading up to the 12th Century, Catholic priests were allowed to marry. Did the church perish? No! Instead, it was one of the most powerful periods of the Catholic Church.

Child sex scandals have popped up in almost every corner of the planet. Every Inquisition brings up Paedophilia the Catholic Church tried to hide.
Now, it's nuns being sexually assaulted and in some cases used as sex slaves. The nuns who get pregnant are dismissed or forced to abort (the sheer fuckin irony, huh?) while the priests get transferred to other parishes

What if marriage could reduce this? Would it not be worth it for these at risk women and children?

Honestly, the Anglican church isn't paedophilia free either despite the fact that their priests can marry. However, their child sex abuse cases are estimated at 10% that of Catholic Church (according to a 2013 study).
So, they must be doing something different.

Imagine an estimated 90% fewer traumatized women and children. Allowing these priests to marry doesn't eliminate the problem but it significantly reduces it. That's a definite start.

This is probably not going to change though. The church is built on dogma. They will defend the right of grown men to be denied companionship for as long as they can.

However, it should change.
Religion should never be used as a crutch to harm people.
Never!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 4:47pm On Feb 10, 2019
Fundamental to all these strife and discord in Christianity is how subject to private interpretation the Bible is. There are more than 3000 denominations.

Of course, each man says he is right and the other is wrong, quoting scriptures. But think about it, how can the Bible be so plainly written with the Holy Spirit instructing each man (as promised in the Bible), yet there is not a single total alignment in the body of Christ?

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by MuttleyLaff: 10:51pm On Feb 10, 2019
kkins25:
Not to forget the anhiliation of the sodomites and gomorrans..
Are you at all, aware of what the sins of Sodom and Gomorrah were, when from the onset, judgement of destruction, was pronounced on it and its inhabitants?

kkins25:
Also the constant outrage towards innocent inhabitants of the milky lands of canaan. wink wink wink
Are you aware that the threat and/or judgement on the inhabitants of Canaan was prophesised 400 years plus before the actual annihilation

kkins25:
I haven't even mentioned the Allah-ish commandments about stoning to death and so forth in the book of punishment they call levicticus.
Levicticus, means the book of the Levites, or better still, the law book of the Levites. It is a book with instructions that focuses attention on ritual, legal, moral practices and varying penalties for violating them. Sentencing to death by stoning is one of the capital punishment.

kkins25:
When it comes to violence, I agree with MuttleyLaff, Jehova is Lord. wink wink wink
You seem to attribute God administering judgement to mean violence and/or to be violence. God nevers misconduct and so no abuse of power when God administers judgement

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 9:35am On Feb 11, 2019
THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX

Humans are obsessed with beginnings and endings. We see lives beginning and we see them ending. We see families beginning and ending. We see relationships and jobs and careers beginning and ending.

Everything we value begins and ends so we are conditioned to think in those terms. But what if that thinking is just a side-effect of how we experience the world, rather than how the world really is?

Humans and bees see different parts of the electromagnetic spectrum. Humans and bees live in the same world but it appears very different to each of us. If bees could think they wouldn't be concerned with the questions that concern us.

Imagine how an atom sees the world. First it is part of a river, then a cloud, then a rain drop, then a dog and then the earth. It would see a world of stasis and change--it would never be concerned about beginnings and endings, it would find these concepts unfathomable and irrelevant.

Perhaps it is the accident of what we are and how we live that makes us fret over questions like how did the universe begin? Perhaps that question is as artificial and irrelevant as asking what is north of the North Pole? We can ask the question but it doesn't mean anything and cannot be answered.

Perhaps the universe should not be likened to a living thing that is born and dies but as a circle like the the hydrological cycle--constantly changing from ice to water to gas to water to ice.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 1:26pm On Feb 11, 2019
Quora Question: What was your most embarrassing airport/airplane experience?
CHRIS BUCKLE: This was in 2011. I took a flight from London to Dubai. It was Qatar Airways so we had to change at Doha. The flight took off from Heathrow at 2200hrs, a night flight.
I took my seat and started to drift off to sleep. I've been to Dubai before but only on Virgin so I had no idea what route Qatar Airways would take in fact I didn't give it a thought. The hospitality on Qatar Airways is so good I just drifted off to sleep, couldn't help myself.
Most of the passengers were Arab, I was one of the few westerners.
It turned out that the flight passed somewhere near Mecca or I should say the lights of Mecca were able to be seen far off on the horizon. Apparently the captain announced this while I was asleep and he kept a countdown going of when the lights would be visible. This had the effect of exciting my fellow passengers of Arab origin.
Finally the lights of Mecca became visible out of one of the windows on the starboard side.
I was oblivious to this until the chant of Allah-u-Akbar went round the plane. I opened my eyes to the sight of twenty or so bearded men standing up near me shouting Allah-u-Akbar at the top of their voices. On a plane 30,000 feet up.
I shot up from my seat, terrified. I got into a fighting stance and pushed a few of them back away from the cockpit. I wasn't going to go down without a fight. I was frothing at the mouth shouting "who wants some" at the top of my voice and grabbing at anything I could use as a weapon.
I suddenly became aware that they were backing away from me like I was some sort of lunatic. A couple of flight attendants were standing there telling me to calm down. I looked around the packed plane and saw people staring at me. My fellow western passengers were covering their faces with their palms and saying things like "he's not with us."
I must have taken a full hour to be convinced that the plane wasn't under attack. The stewardesses were holding my hand like I was aged about 6. The stewardesses on Qatar Airways are fantastic in fairness. I think they even gave me some sweets at one point.
We got to Doha, I was getting some terrible looks from all of the passengers. We de-planed and I thought I'd seen the last of them. I went to the gate for the Dubai flight only to rejoin most of them again. I heard a western voice saying "The nutter's back".

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by hahn(m): 2:12pm On Feb 11, 2019
joseph1013:
Quora Question: What was your most embarrassing airport/airplane experience?
CHRIS BUCKLE: This was in 2011. I took a flight from London to Dubai. It was Qatar Airways so we had to change at Doha. The flight took off from Heathrow at 2200hrs, a night flight.
I took my seat and started to drift off to sleep. I've been to Dubai before but only on Virgin so I had no idea what route Qatar Airways would take in fact I didn't give it a thought. The hospitality on Qatar Airways is so good I just drifted off to sleep, couldn't help myself.
Most of the passengers were Arab, I was one of the few westerners.
It turned out that the flight passed somewhere near Mecca or I should say the lights of Mecca were able to be seen far off on the horizon. Apparently the captain announced this while I was asleep and he kept a countdown going of when the lights would be visible. This had the effect of exciting my fellow passengers of Arab origin.
Finally the lights of Mecca became visible out of one of the windows on the starboard side.
I was oblivious to this until the chant of Allah-u-Akbar went round the plane. I opened my eyes to the sight of twenty or so bearded men standing up near me shouting Allah-u-Akbar at the top of their voices. On a plane 30,000 feet up.
I shot up from my seat, terrified. I got into a fighting stance and pushed a few of them back away from the cockpit. I wasn't going to go down without a fight. I was frothing at the mouth shouting "who wants some" at the top of my voice and grabbing at anything I could use as a weapon.
I suddenly became aware that they were backing away from me like I was some sort of lunatic. A couple of flight attendants were standing there telling me to calm down. I looked around the packed plane and saw people staring at me. My fellow western passengers were covering their faces with their palms and saying things like "he's not with us."
I must have taken a full hour to be convinced that the plane wasn't under attack. The stewardesses were holding my hand like I was aged about 6. The stewardesses on Qatar Airways are fantastic in fairness. I think they even gave me some sweets at one point.
We got to Doha, I was getting some terrible looks from all of the passengers. We de-planed and I thought I'd seen the last of them. I went to the gate for the Dubai flight only to rejoin most of them again. I heard a western voice saying "The nutter's back".

3 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 6:39pm On Feb 11, 2019
THERE'S NO NEED TO BOTHER I'M ALREADY ASHAMED ON YOUR BEHALVES.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by swegiedon(m): 9:19am On Feb 12, 2019
[quote author=hahn post=75625808][/quote]

That story was damn funny!.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:40am On Feb 13, 2019
NOT-NICE THEISM

It's not surprising so many people are unconvinced by theism. After all, the arguments theists offer are complete rubbish--so bad, in fact, that they can only keep their beliefs alive by forcing them onto unsuspecting children.

Quite not nice.

PS This is true for all religions from the most mild and innocuous to the most extreme and violent.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) ... (130) (Reply)

Jesus is coming soon. This thread is for faithful watchmen / Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 169
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.