Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,284 members, 7,807,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:09 AM

Nigerians Are Underutilizing Their Tablets - Computers (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Nigerians Are Underutilizing Their Tablets (17446 Views)

Nigerian Company Launch Nigerian Laptops And Tablets / Nigerians Are Being Cheated By Isps - Look At My Internet Speed Here In Malaysia / Only 14 Nigerians Are CCIE Certified (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Are Underutilizing Their Tablets by martineverest(m): 8:05pm On Dec 18, 2014
Do u know what windows os means to enterprise?when windows 10 is called unified os..do u know what it means?...it means all windows device(watch,tv,xbox games,phones,tablet,smartscreen,pc and many more) ll now have same 'kernel'..imagine a world where u interconnect numerous devic without hitches,it ll work flawlessly.imagine u buy an app and it will used in all windows device;imagine microsoft launching an intel x86 architecture smartphone(run full windows) to replicate full function of a laptop.incase u dont know,android,blackberry os,ios and windows phone os are ARM based os (meaning they re used for light computing,dats y smartphone and tablet cannot match laptop in terms of function),while mac os and windows 8 or 7 re intel x86 based os.....the gradual fall in ipad an android tablets sales and rise of windows tablet is as a result of what i xplained above......apple ll smoothen d fall of android tablets if it releases ipad pro( with mac os) next year and mac phone in nearest future.
Baddestguyp:
I don't agree with ur last part, android will go out but not anytime soon, not even with Windows 10 launch. people love android because of its flexibility, it gives u almost complete freedom over ur device without even rooting. I can't handle a smartphone device with restrictions now cos it'll seem like trash
Re: Nigerians Are Underutilizing Their Tablets by martineverest(m): 8:15pm On Dec 18, 2014
A smartphone,precisely a phablet can do all these...dats y phblets re replacing tablets in western world..iphone 6plus has helped in fall of ipad due to similar functions
practicalclass:
List of what i use my tablet to do:
1) To read including academic books and lecture powerpoint, novels (fiction, romance, illustrations, etc), motivational books, materials, journals, etc
2) Morning devotion (i have a Bible app with a devotional and bible commentary)
3) Play games including NBA, Gangstar Rio, etc
4) Watch movies esp Season movies and i add dowloaded subtitles to enjoy it more (power of Mx player)
5) Type document on the go e.g. CVs, employment letter and all manner of formal letters
6) Prepare power points especially during sunday sermons for projection to church audience (i work in Multimedia department)
7) Edit pictures for upload and sharing
cool Share files and read flash drives (that is the use of OTG cable)
This is all i can remember for now (not by my power but by His mercies)
I'm waiting to get a tablet with HDMI port so i can use my tablet for powerpoint presentation and forget abt my laptop.
Trust me, the tablet has more functions dan what its used for.

P.S: sorry for the lengthy comment.
thanks for taking your time to read it.
Re: Nigerians Are Underutilizing Their Tablets by globatop: 8:34pm On Dec 18, 2014
I can use my tablet, even 5" Android phone to create and edit Excell and word documents.
Re: Nigerians Are Underutilizing Their Tablets by callmenow: 9:05pm On Dec 18, 2014
I have been a proud owner of ipad air, windows tablet and Android concurrently. I rarely use conventional Macbook/PC. Essentially, these devices are essentials. in my experience, if you have a windows 8.1 tablet/pc. you can do everything that is possible on your 'humble' laptop. The battery is better than laptops. The caching is also better on the tablet too. The power last for between 7 - 9 hours at a stretch. Then my samsung android tablet has access to every app known to man, or to Nigerian at least. Essentially you can do more anywhere, anytime without the worry of power failure. This one is also good because you can add a sim card and it becomes a game changer. Please bear with me. I am deliberately avoiding the social aspects, like taking fotos and videos/TV. Those are standard. The ipad is my tablet of choice. it has less apps, but it has become a part of my life. It is my organiser, notebook and helps me run 3 different disruptive businesses. The calendar pushes information of where I need to be. Then the map tells me how to get there. Then it reminds me of things i need to know before I attend a meeting. The address book is out of this world. If you are serious about upscaling your life, get the ipad. The battery is not so good. With heavy use, i get 3-4 hours at a stretch. It is just a game changer. I do more because of tablets. My advice is to get a windows tablet or Ipad. you will always be a step ahead of the hoi polloi.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Underutilizing Their Tablets by ejiro2130(m): 9:21pm On Dec 18, 2014
Kimoni:
Is there any device we don't underutilize as nigerians? For most of us, we only want to be seen carrying expensive gadgets around even if we don't know how to operate them. It's purely a status thing for us biko. Naija I hail thee!

True talk, I paid heavily for Samsung note 10.1 2014 even before it came out 3months after using I sent it to my sister,expensive classy but very useless to me
Re: Nigerians Are Underutilizing Their Tablets by martineverest(m): 9:30pm On Dec 18, 2014
Guess u re into light computing,otherwise u wont drop ur pc for tablets computing.when u re into productivity tablets ll be a dust collector....after d much hype about tablets,i got to realise dat as an engineer, tablet is for entertainment and notting spectacular...cant wait to get surface pro 3 next yr......
callmenow:
I have been a proud owner of ipad air, windows tablet and Android concurrently. I rarely use conventional Macbook/PC. Essentially, these devices are essentials. in my experience, if you have a windows 8.1 tablet/pc. you can do everything that is possible on your 'humble' laptop. The battery is better than laptops. The caching is also better on the tablet too. The power last for between 7 - 9 hours at a stretch. Then my samsung android tablet has access to every app known to man, or to Nigerian at least. Essentially you can do more anywhere, anytime without the worry of power failure. This one is also good because you can add a sim card and it becomes a game changer. Please bear with me. I am deliberately avoiding the social aspects, like taking fotos and videos/TV. Those are standard. The ipad is my tablet of choice. it has less apps, but it has become a part of my life. It is my organiser, notebook and helps me run 3 different disruptive businesses. The calendar pushes information of where I need to be. Then the map tells me how to get there. Then it reminds me of things i need to know before I attend a meeting. The address book is out of this world. If you are serious about upscaling your life, get the ipad. The battery is not so good. With heavy use, i get 3-4 hours at a stretch. It is just a game changer. I do more because of tablets. My advice is to get a windows tablet or Ipad. you will always be a step ahead of the hoi polloi.
Re: Nigerians Are Underutilizing Their Tablets by scarr: 11:34pm On Dec 18, 2014
WIZGUY69:
I agree with you op
as for me, i don't underutilize any smart phone.
they are some apps in my tablet that one won't believe can be in it .
Nigerian ladies just buy some expenses gadget without knowing the use.
cheesy
apps like?
if u dont mind just curious
Re: Nigerians Are Underutilizing Their Tablets by nenergy(m): 11:44pm On Dec 18, 2014
grin
coldsummer:
I'm guilty as charged

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Underutilizing Their Tablets by practicalclass: 3:51am On Dec 19, 2014
martineverest:
A smartphone,precisely a phablet can do all these...dats y phblets re replacing tablets in western world..iphone 6plus has helped in fall of ipad due to similar functions

A phablet is more or less a tablet but cut in between deciding whether to be a phone or tablet in terms of size (tablet - 7" and above, phablet - from less than 7" to 5.7"wink. I'm sur d op's comparison is with laptops.
Re: Nigerians Are Underutilizing Their Tablets by martineverest(m): 6:32am On Dec 19, 2014
Just saying a phone can do same fuction with tablets,so why buying tablets when u have a phablet.....laptops can do all what a tablets can but tablet cant do 80pecent of what a laptoot can do
practicalclass:

A phablet is more or less a tablet but cut in between deciding whether to be a phone or tablet in terms of size (tablet - 7" and above, phablet - from less than 7" to 5.7"wink. I'm sur d op's comparison is with laptops.
Re: Nigerians Are Underutilizing Their Tablets by SenatorJames(m): 11:54am On Dec 19, 2014
Ladies are more guilty of this than men
Re: Nigerians Are Underutilizing Their Tablets by Nobody: 12:14pm On Dec 19, 2014
martineverest:
Its called 'laplet'....a tablet with laptop hardwares.

Bros if you like call it Lap-give, Lap-lot, Lap-take, or Lap-whatever for that matter, if it gets to 14" and packs a keyboard of equal size, it's a Laptop to me.

Like I said, it's a laptop re-branded with a different name. Please don't call it another name before Nigerians will start running helter skelter to get it, thinking it will make their lives more wonderful than it is.... grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Are Underutilizing Their Tablets by Nobody: 12:22pm On Dec 19, 2014
Evathyst:
Oh! I see! I fear o!
Was thinking maybe I'm one of doz garage chairmen who would just hold their tablet like it's their birth certificate. Use, dem no dey use am. Yet, dey keep displaying it every now and den. Our Landlord's case is even pathetic.

Tnx 4 allayin my fears sha. Besides, I don't own a tablet presently. Don't know if any maga will buy for me in 2015 sha tongue

D GIONEE M2 I use currently, I bought it with my hard earned money from Initialize.

@ Bolded, I have never truly understood the meaning of the term

Is there an easily earned money?

Maga ko wiseman ni...

Well if you really want a tablet, there are lots of options out there you should be able to afford. Don't just go for anything over the roof except you want to invest your 'hard earned' money on something that gets obsolete at an alarming pace.

For your needs as described previously, a mid-range tablet should do, especially one with a durable battery life.

Just let your needs inform your choice, and you won't hate yourself later.... cool
Re: Nigerians Are Underutilizing Their Tablets by martineverest(m): 12:22pm On Dec 19, 2014
Mr. Man,laplet was coined from laptop and tablet.surface is a tablets with detachable keyboard and most especially it has laptop specs......dont be so naive man...its not yet in nigeria.
Kingsleyinfo:

Bros if you like call it Lap-give, Lap-lot, Lap-take, or Lap-whatever for that matter, if it gets to 14" and packs a keyboard of equal size, it's a Laptop to me.

Like I said, it's a laptop re-branded with a different name. Please don't call it another name before Nigerians will start running helter skelter to get it, thinking it will make their lives more wonderful than it is.... grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Are Underutilizing Their Tablets by Nobody: 12:43pm On Dec 19, 2014
martineverest:
Mr. Man,laplet was coined from laptop and tablet.surface is a tablets with detachable keyboard and most especially it has laptop specs......dont be so naive man...its not yet in nigeria.

Mr Woman, all this yapping is simply because I refused to be told that a 14" screen with a keyboard is basically not a laptop?

If the surface pro want's to be different, it should pack it's own unique hardware, and specs.

Coin ko, note ni

Don't try to teach me about form factors, am sure I know enough to get by.

I like seeing things for what they are, simple and straight forward, not market branding.

I bet you have heard about the Activ Q from Samsung, I believe Microsoft is just going in the same direction.

So if you missed the humor in the last post, that can hardly be my fault...
Re: Nigerians Are Underutilizing Their Tablets by Evathyst(f): 2:23pm On Dec 19, 2014
Kingsleyinfo:

@ Bolded, I have never truly understood the meaning of the term

Is there an easily earned money?

Maga ko wiseman ni...

Well if you really want a tablet, there are lots of options out there you should be able to afford. Don't just go for anything over the roof except you want to invest your 'hard earned' money on something that gets obsolete at an alarming pace.

For your needs as described previously, a mid-range tablet should do, especially one with a durable battery life.

Just let your needs inform your choice, and you won't hate yourself later.... cool
Very well Sir, tnx 4 ur advise. Once I hammer dt money I'm envisaging, I do call on my tech expert(Initialize) to recommend for me. I've lived long enough to trust his recommendations on fone matters.

Lest I forget, there's hard earned money o! Pple who do teaching, factory, or go-slow trading stuff know better. tongue

Although, we're praying to d Most High to simplify our means of livelihood.
Re: Nigerians Are Underutilizing Their Tablets by Nobody: 3:50pm On Dec 19, 2014
Evathyst:
Very well Sir, tnx 4 ur advise. Once I hammer dt money I'm envisaging, I do call on my tech expert(Initialize) to recommend for me. I've lived long enough to trust his recommendations on fone matters.

Lest I forget, there's hard earned money o! Pple who do teaching, factory, or go-slow trading stuff know better. tongue

Amen to that prayer.
Re: Nigerians Are Underutilizing Their Tablets by initialize(m): 3:55pm On Dec 19, 2014
Evathyst:

Nice of you.... Feels good reading the 'trust part wink

Thanks

God grant our heart desires. Amen
Re: Nigerians Are Underutilizing Their Tablets by mojeer678: 12:33pm On Dec 24, 2014
PerfumeRepublik:

Well u have a point ....

He actually has 2 points and they're right on top of his head!

grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is It Okay To Read Your Wife's E-Mails? / Google To Phase Out Passwords, Roll Out Fingerprint, Face Scan, Others / Fix Hdcp Compliant Display Error When Watching Netflix Video In Safari On Mac

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.