Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,465 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:20 PM

Adjusting To Life As A Widower - Family (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Adjusting To Life As A Widower (122757 Views)

Poll: How has this thread helped you to appreciate your spouse better and positively affect your relationship?

Very Positive: 90% (9 votes)
Good: 0% (0 votes)
Fair: 10% (1 vote)
Not Really: 0% (0 votes)
Not At All: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Man Bounces Back To Life After Three Days In Morgue (Photo) / Getting Married To A Widower / Adjusting To Parenthood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Nobody: 7:15am On Aug 31, 2013
Its good to hear from you again Uncle Seru. Pray God perfects that which he started. Wish you, Olori and the kids the very best.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Nobody: 7:49am On Aug 31, 2013
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 7:00am On Sep 01, 2013
chaircover: Dancing azonto . . . . .

So i am still the wedding planner?! . . .Yipeeee

In that case you need to send me plenti plenti money so I csn book the cake (8 tier of course) and the rolls Royce.

Glad to hear you are all doing so well. We were really missing you o!. The Balogun aso ebi woman has been phoning me since grin Please greet olori very well from me o!

on a different note, you send me a PM please, there is something I want to ask you. thanks

Yes ma'am. PM on the way in a flash. smiley
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 5:07pm On Sep 03, 2013
Omo Daddy354: Its good to hear from you again Uncle Seru. Pray God perfects that which he started. Wish you, Olori and the kids the very best.

Thank you very much. I sincerely appreciate it. smiley
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by ayde: 9:09pm On Oct 17, 2013
Wow.. Lord you are indeed great! Been on this thread 2days now and can't believe I read through the 28 pages.

It's been a roller coaster of emotions for me, but all in all, I thank God for your life Serubawon, your precious kids, and wonderful Olori. God turned your mourning into dancing and wiped away all your tears. Praise be to His name. HE that started this good work in you will surely bring it to perfection.

Also prittigirl, after 10years of breakup! It is indeed the Lord's doing and wonderful in our eyes.

To the other posters too who dropped their stories and are going through one challenge or the other, the Lord is your strenght and there's surely going to be light at the end of tunnel..just hold on to the Almighty God of Immortal Creation (Olorun Isedaiku).

I've learnt a lot from Serubawon's life and other stories shared on here and has made me appreciate my spouse more and see life in a different perspective.

@Spoilt, God you are so funny cheesy. @Jennykadry..alaye mama wink.
@CC, our events planner, so full of wisdom kiss .
@Analytical Baba, tuale! You too much! cool .
Tgirl, Saisera, Ujujoan, greatgod2012, bellong and every other posters smiley, you all have been great encouragement not only to Serubawon but to all.

Uncle Seru, let's know how the thing dey go oh, so I can e-attend the whole jollification thingy cheesy.

Congrats and it is well with you and family.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by spoilt(f): 1:47am On Oct 18, 2013
This wedding still hasn't happened? How is the family Serubawon? I hope things are still on track. I was feeling kind of down when I logged on but after reading through previous pages of this thread, I feel better. Nothing like a love story. Grown people love story. Thanks all who continually check in.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by yetseyi(f): 4:22pm On Oct 18, 2013
pheww I just read 7years of this thread. I have learnt a lot. I am lifted by ur story mr seru. I m happy things are fine with Olori laa fin.
Madame CC,kadry,spoilt,analytical analyser, I enjoyed ur comments
pwetty happy about your reunion
one of my best threads on NL
I pray for a good home.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 11:10pm On Oct 18, 2013
Hey everyone. I didn't abandon my people o. Just taking things one day at a time. The introduction day has been set (next month). It's going to be done in-absentia (obviously) in naija and after then, we'll tie the knot quietly. All the engagement stress will come at a later date. Right now, we have bigger things ahead of us ( like buying a house). Na now I know say na woman dey buy house, man just be the follow follow wey go pay for am. smiley

It's been extremely eventful and I'll tell the stories after the fact. I must be honest sha, this Olori keeps me on my bloody toes ( no be lie). However, I love the woman and people say I have become "ode" for her o. So be it.

I'm happy again. The kids are happy. She's happy. That's all that counts and I consider myself to be extremely blessed to experience this feeling the second time around. Once again, I'm grateful to everyone for helping this story to be what it is Today. I'm grateful to God for giving me a second chance at happiness. I truly look forward to when I'll be able to announce our marriage and possibly the official closure of this thread. It hasn't been a wild ride, it's been a fantastic ride that I honestly wouldn't change for anything.

I received a book offer on this story last month and I must say that caught me off guard. For now, I'm not considering anything, I just want to get on with the rest of my life and be happy. Thanks everyone smiley
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Winneygirl(f): 2:14pm On Oct 19, 2013
Talking about closure of this thread makes me sad.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Nobody: 2:33pm On Oct 19, 2013
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by spoilt(f): 4:33pm On Oct 19, 2013
Take the book deal. Lol. Could pay for kids college.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 7:25pm On Oct 19, 2013
chaircover: Congratulations Serubawon . . . . .

There is so much to say, but I want to choose the right words and so I wont say anything, but I am sure you know how happy everyone is for you and how thankful we are to God for everything.

On behalf of my brother Serubawon, Oluwa Osheeeeeeeeeeee

My sister, thank you. You've said it all. All we have to say is thank you Lord. For His kindness, mercies which endureth forever, wisdom, protection, favor etc.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 7:32pm On Oct 19, 2013
Winneygirl: Talking about closure of this thread makes me sad.

Why should you be sad? The way I look at it is a thread that has spanned over 7 years and has been a source of solace for me ( and others). The saying goes " not by power, nor by might, but by my spirit sayeth the Lord". And that's why I can't take credit for this thread. I started it in the hope of getting answers and I got a whole lot more and I'm grateful. That being said, I believe a lot of us are still waiting to hear your story Winneygirl, abi?

Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Analytical(m): 9:14pm On Oct 20, 2013
Serubawon, it's been a while! I join you and others in thanking God for this journey. This has truly become inspiring and a source of encouragement for many. This is not just a thread, it's a memoir- a journey spanning several years and it's not ending soon, I tell you. Why are you not considering the book offer? I recall saying you have a ready material right here on this thread. All you need is fine-tuning. Please dust your notes and get to work on it.

I am not seeing just one book but two- I see a sequel to this, titled "From Widower to Husband - The Serubawon story" or something like that- the first one ending at the nuptial tie (thus changing the status from widower), the 2nd taking it from there (and chronicling the happy new life, challenges, issues and success of a man finding love and happiness again)!

This story is not ending soon...

2 Likes

Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by shooze: 11:00pm On Oct 20, 2013
Serubawon I wish you a happy married life. Read the whole thread this night and I am inspired. I do not mean to derail the thread but I feel I can get good advice here which I may not get if I start a thread. I am presently depressed and confused. I have had series of relationships they would usually start out well then fizzle out. I am basically a very nice person when I love someone even if its just a friend I can give mh eyes out. An ex told me I was too nice and that's why he ended it . I have tried following all the rules and read every book on dating but I don't know what else to do. I just ended a relationship this evening because I felt It was a little too one sided I.e. I did more of the visiting and all and he sometimes acted like I was bother. I am open to any suggestions and I am willing to answer any questions and accept any changes .
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Nobody: 2:05am On Oct 21, 2013
shooze: Serubawon I wish you a happy married life. Read the whole thread this night and I am inspired. I do not mean to derail the thread but I feel I can get good advice here which I may not get if I start a thread. I am presently depressed and confused. I have had series of relationships they would usually start out well then fizzle out. I am basically a very nice person when I love someone even if its just a friend I can give mh eyes out. An ex told me I was too nice and that's why he ended it . I have tried following all the rules and read every book on dating but I don't know what else to do. I just ended a relationship this evening because I felt It was a little too one sided I.e. I did more of the visiting and all and he sometimes acted like I was bother. I am open to any suggestions and I am willing to answer any questions and accept any changes .
This is just like me.... I can only say, it is who you are and you can't change it. I've had people ask me questions like,"are you actually this nice or you're just faking it?" I may be wrong but those who take advantage of your kindness or niceness are the ones with the problem and not you, you can only pray that God gives you someone who will love you for who you are, appreciate you and also help you to have a control over it.

Nevertheless, you can learn how to minimize it, learn when to chill. Don't let it be more of a weakness than it is a strength, don't let anyone take advantage of you. That's the little I can offer, hope it makes any sensegrin
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by getitdone: 5:28am On Oct 21, 2013
I started reading this thread yesterday and the thread made me have another orientation about marriage.
Marriage is sweet when u marry the right person dat gives u joy . It's not abt marrying a person becos u're growing old or something else.
@ Mr Serubawon , U're a rare gem ! U're one in a trillion. I wish my mum read this post when she lost her husband abt 15yrs ago. She was 35 years old then. The lost almost tire her apart to the extent of throwing her ring to the river. I remember she won't wear good clothes becos she was tormented by the devil. She refuses to let go until d lord intervened.
She believed then, that she can never see any man to fill d love her late husband . She belived nobody wuld love her d way her husband does. Besides she doesn't want her children to suffer because of d love she and her husband shared together.
I briefed dis story 2 her after reading pages 1 - 16 . She was like .... 'Wow! dat man was really like me wen I lost ur dad. He his really a gud man . I'm happy he found his love back.'
I think my mum is now wanting a man now #wink#. Becos each time I tell her ur love is on his way coming soon. All she do is smile n tell me examples of women who lost there husbands longtime ago and finally found their love back.
@ Mr Analytical ,I'm so inspired with ur comments on this thread and one other comment I read on dis thread abt a crashing marriage. U really saved that marriage. I wish u're my Uncle or brother .
@ all my Auties in d house who has started commenting on dis thread 4rm 2006, u'Re all Sweet !
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Nobody: 6:20am On Oct 21, 2013
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Nobody: 6:25am On Oct 21, 2013
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by RoyalRoy(m): 7:13am On Oct 21, 2013
shooze: Serubawon I wish you a happy married life. Read the whole thread this night and I am inspired. I do not mean to derail the thread but I feel I can get good advice here which I may not get if I start a thread. I am presently depressed and confused. I have had series of relationships they would usually start out well then fizzle out. I am basically a very nice person when I love someone even if its just a friend I can give mh eyes out. An ex told me I was too nice and that's why he ended it . I have tried following all the rules and read every book on dating but I don't know what else to do. I just ended a relationship this evening because I felt It was a little too one sided I.e. I did more of the visiting and all and he sometimes acted like I was bother. I am open to any suggestions and I am willing to answer any questions and accept any changes .

Please open a thread for yourself. There will be more people who are willing to give you sound advice.

Do copy your text here and paste directly in the thread you opened.
All will be well with you.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by getitdone: 7:41am On Oct 21, 2013
[quote author=chaircover]@get-it-done, where there is true love it is very difficullt to move on after the death of a loved one. It can take years and sometimes you never really get over it

Your mum will open her heart in her own time and I pray that she does find a man who will treat her as well as your dad. Everyone deserves to be happy.

Celebrate your mum, because she is a real mum in the real sense of it. Many women in her situation will go and marry another man who doesnt want her children and the children will be moved from relative to relative and suffering as glorified househelps. You are very lucky to have her. Give mum a hug from me ((hugs)

@ CC, yea, she is really a good mother becos I can bet my life she has no bf or whatever after late husband. Sometimes she stil weep anytime she remember their short memories of love 2gether. But I thank God she remember and just thnk God 4 all she has achieved. Atleast I graduated 4rm a private uni, n my brother who was a 3+ then, wil b in his final year next year by God's grace.
That is y I practically praised Mr Serubawon 4 taking time 2 look 4 a woman not just 4 himself, but his children first. You can just imagine wht wuld av happened to his kids if he had married d earlier lady out of his own selfishness of beign alone . But No ! He he did not, he waited 4 his Olori who now not only love his kids, but also av a strong feeling 4 him too; a strong feelings that mr serubawon wil remember his wife and give glory to God !
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by bellong: 7:43am On Oct 21, 2013

Do not be troubled over the people who don't deserve to have you. Keep being good at what you do and the right man will find you soon. Wouldn't you rather thank the Lord that those guys leave early than becoming a pest in your life when you finally tie the knot.

Look ahead, there are better days. Do not let pressure push you to become who you are not. Finally, be patient, take your time and a good man will locate you in God's time.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by shooze: 7:53am On Oct 21, 2013
Thank you all. Will search inwards to see if I come as needy as chaircover pointed out.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by jumzzy448: 5:29pm On Oct 21, 2013
Whew......finally read through the 28 pages.
Where do I start from sef....
Uncle seru, I doff my hat for u. I respect you so much. I tap into your courage. Infact, u are one in a million. Your kids and olori are so so lucky to have you as their father and a husband. Your home shall be full of joy and happiness.

@ edeykay, so sorry. My God will bless u with the one that will stay and also be a source of joy to you and your entire household.

@ CC, have always respected you since the day I started visiting family section on nairaland. I wish to know you offline. God has blessed you with so much wisdom. From the various advice you give to people, it has been of tremendous help to me. I have been able to work more on my marriage. Thanks so much and God bless you.

@JK, the first time I read your comment on nairaland, I felt you were being too harsh. You and someone actually started insulting each other. So I was like no no no, I don't like this aunty. Subsequently, I realise that you actually love saying things the way they were. I've come to love you and appreciate you more.

Mr Analytical, God bless you. You've been a source of strength to everyone here.
Aunty spoilt, tgirl and others that I can't remember your names, God bless you. May God fill our homes with love, joy and happiness.

Sorry all for the long epistle.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Handsomegod(m): 8:23pm On Oct 21, 2013
How I stumbled on this tread(and NL sef),I no sabi! However,I guess it was God himself that led me to it. I painstakingly digested the 28 paged thread in 72 hours!Serubaba,God is with u and just like Job whose latter days dwarfed what ever he had afore,so shall urs be! I lack words to pour more blessings in ur life! U have officially become my brother(by fire by force..lol). To the rest of the gang,CC,Tgirl,Jennykadry,Uju,Prof" Analytically" ,Ikamfa,bellong,Omodaddy,etc etc etc,we all have also become family! Trust me am serious! U guys just created beauty fromm Ashes here and that is what d world lacks and yearns for. The other aunty(forgot ur handle) who had a premature baby(Leona) that later passed on,relax. Was born twins and premature too(barely 7 months).although my twin brother passed on 6 hours later,I survived and today am 6ft 1.5 inch,weighs 80 kg with an unbelieveable mental and physical verve! If I survived and become a blessing,then gear up cos u will still have ur precious babies no matter what ur biological condition may be. The story of my life will make u guys thank god more but I don't wanna bore the house. All I wanna say is,may heaven bless us all! #am out#
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Nobody: 1:20am On Oct 22, 2013
Wow...
can't believe I'm crying
maybe its just the situation i'm in now that reading this thread just got me emotional.

Hey serubobo, CC, analytical, JK(seems ages since u were on this thread) glad to know I was part of this journey.

My friend spoilt! Great to hear from you too.

Seru
Just flash us a pm on the date and we go wear our aso-ebi in remembrance
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 8:09pm On Oct 22, 2013
Analytical: Serubawon, it's been a while! I join you and others in thanking God for this journey. This has truly become inspiring and a source of encouragement for many. This is not just a thread, it's a memoir- a journey spanning several years and it's not ending soon, I tell you. Why are you not considering the book offer? I recall saying you have a ready material right here on this thread. All you need is fine-tuning. Please dust your notes and get to work on it.

I am not seeing just one book but two- I see a sequel to this, titled "From Widower to Husband - The Serubawon story" or something like that- the first one ending at the nuptial tie (thus changing the status from widower), the 2nd taking it from there (and chronicling the happy new life, challenges, issues and success of a man finding love and happiness again)!

This story is not ending soon...

Hmmmm....... Analytical Baba! Yes, it has been a while. How are you and yours? I pray all is well on the home and business front. 2 book deals? Well, that would be nice. I'm not in a hurry to get into anything and I am thinking about it. I guess I'll let God take care of that decision for me. He's never failed me before and I'm pretty sure he's not about to start now.

Wow, I would like to thank everyone for their comments (Handsomegod, jumzzy448, shooze, bellong, get it done etc). Trying to make sure my head isn't swelling right now.

@Handsomegod. I'm sure everyone would like to hear your story and I'm also sure no one will be bored. This thread is not just about serubawon and his story. It's to help people bring out their stories of overcoming various situations in the face of hardship and thus encouraging a lost soul somewhere that there is hope at hand. Please feel free to narrate your experiences. grin
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 8:37pm On Oct 24, 2013
salsera: Wow...
can't believe I'm crying
maybe its just the situation i'm in now that reading this thread just got me emotional.

Hey serubobo, CC, analytical, JK(seems ages since u were on this thread) glad to know I was part of this journey.

My friend spoilt! Great to hear from you too.

Seru
Just flash us a pm on the date and we go wear our aso-ebi in remembrance

And what situation are you speaking of pray tell?
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Handsomegod(m): 11:05pm On Oct 24, 2013
@Seru. Here is my story from birth..Take it as it is and pick whatever inspire u there. Like I stated above,I was born twins and premature(6 monts 3 weeks).My twin bros passed on 6 hours after conception. We looked so damn unreal that my mom still calls me in Igbo"eriri ghoro mmadu" translates; rope that turned to human beign"! We literaly looked very much like transparent polythene bags suffuced with wires and blood cloths and all dat.According to her ,I was incubated and was never lifted like a baby till I was 13 months old. Because of d complications my mom suffered@my birth,she didn't give birth again until 7 years later in a bid to recover and also have less distraction in taking care of me.I had d best childhood u can wish for.However,I grew up strong and rough such dat between d ages of 9-11 years I broke my arms twice; both compound fractures! I sustained various degrees of toe,leg,knee and bodily injuries owing to my restless nature! 32 years later,the marks are still very much visible! I converted mom and my aunties to nurses!...to be continued.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Nobody: 1:52am On Oct 25, 2013
@seru

Proverbs has a verse - 'Hope deferred makes the heart sick' . Let's just say I've had one hope too many deferred and its become overwhelming - doesn't make any sense.
So seeing this thread again..was just too much jare.

Abeg do quick make I tie gele ooh! grin
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by bellong: 10:05am On Oct 25, 2013
salsera: @seru

Proverbs has a verse - 'Hope deferred makes the heart sick' . Let's just say I've had one hope too many deferred and its become overwhelming - doesn't make any sense.

Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain.

Hope maketh not ashamed.

Whatever you are hoping for from the Lord, I believe that the Lord will answer you soon in His time. He makes all things beautiful in His time. Wait for it sis and you will enjoy it better when it eventually arrive in God's time. It is well with you
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 10:10am On Oct 25, 2013
salsera: @seru

Hey, I know exactly what you mean. I've gone through some experiences in life that would just make your toes curl and clench. They are experiences that I would never want to even dream of, talk less of actually experiencing them. However, in the end, these experiences only made me stronger and presently, I am the pillar of strength for those around me. I would prefer not to have that kind of responsibility on me, but such is my path in life and I accept it.

Whatever you're going through now, ask God for wisdom and patience to help you figure out why you're going through these situations and what he wants you to learn from them. Trust me, you'll thank Him for these situations some time in the not too distant future. Stay strong my sister. smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (44) (Reply)

Man Shares Picture After First Sex With His Virgin Wife (Viewers Discretion) / 17-Year-Old Boy Buys A Car For His Mother In Lagos. See Reactions (Photo, Video) / Concern As More Us-based Nigerians Murder Their Spouses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.