Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,491 members, 7,808,815 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:17 PM

Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) (44697 Views)

Mujahidat Daba Dokubo Reacts To Gen. Danjuma's Call To Arrest Asari Dokubo / Prof. Banji Akintoye Jailed By BUHARI Writes A 2nd Open Letter. [@naijapolitica] / Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (**ABSOLUTE MUST READ**) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by calaway: 5:11am On Dec 19, 2014
9jafreak:
First of all, I congratulate you warmly for winning the nomination of your party for the presidency of Nigeria.

Though you and I are different in ethnicity and religion, we have many important things in common. I am a few years older than you – which means that if you and I had been Yoruba boys born in the same Yoruba town or village, we would have belonged to about the same age-grade Association ( with us Yoruba, age-grade loyalty is traditionally a very important factor of life). Moreover, you and I were young Nigerians in an era, the 1950s, when our up-and coming country of Nigeria was a source of great pride to its citizens, and an emerging titan eagerly awaited by most informed people all over the world.

The three regions of our federation (East, North and West) were engaged in an ambitious rivalry for progress and for improvements in the quality of life of our people. They were able to do that and achieve considerable successes because our constitutional structure gave them much leeway to manage their own affairs within the common Nigerian family. We arrived at independence in 1960 believing that our country was set on the path to becoming the blackman’s world power of modern times.

Unhappily, now that you and I are in our seventies, there is nothing left of our country’s ambitions and pride – indeed, there is hardly anything left of our country itself. Relentlessly crooked up, violated, robbed and depleted since 1960, our Nigeria seems now to be stumbling towards its demise.

As you prepare for your election, I decided to write you this open letter concerning our country, because I know you will understand the pain and expectations behind my words. The purpose of most of Nigeria’s rulers since 1960 has been to weaken and even destroy regional and local initiatives in order to gather all power, control and influence together at the federal center. Their success in doing that has enabled them to remove the management of development far away from our people, and to institute at the federal centre a viciously corrupt, wasteful and incompetent monstrosity. Reduced to the status of beggar clients of the federal robber barons, the state governments, as well as the local governments, collapsed and fell in line as submissive incompetents and mini-robbers.

In the process, real and productive enterprise quickly declined among our people, as the best and most ambitious rushed to join the ranks of the sharers of fraudulently acquired wealth from the public coffers. Our schools and universities, our public service, our police force, our military, our judiciary, all our governmental agencies (electoral commission, secret service, central bank, ports service, immigration service, public examination bodies, etc) – all collapsed under the weight of crooked control, massive corruption and generalized disloyalty. Poverty descended mightily into our country and became the lot of the overwhelming and increasing majority of our people. Our government itself admits that, today, about 70% of our citizens live in “absolute poverty” and that that percentage keeps increasing. With the growing poverty have escalated horrific crimes, a culture of dishonesty, a rush of our youths to Salafist fundamentalist terrorism, and mass flights of the educated to other lands – all of which are compounding the poverty.

From your well-known record as a leader of our country, I know that you are not only aware of these things, but that, in common with many members of our generation, you are seriously pained by them. I confess that I was very angry with you during your brief stint as military ruler, 1983-5. First, you seemed to me to be power-drunk at the time—because you made no distinction between the corrupt who had been stealing and sharing public money under Shagari and those who were known to have been resisting the robbery. I belonged to the frontline of senators who were well known to have, on the floor of the Senate, resisted the mass corruption, and yet your military government detained me (and many like me), and I languished for four months in prison without any accusation–even without being asked any question by any official.

And then, you and Idiagbon expended most of your obviously shining capabilities in pursuing nebulous and amateurish programmes like WAI (War Against Indiscipline), when what our country really needed was (after you had fiercely shot down corruption as you did) to massively divert our enormous oil revenues into investments in the lives of our people–through programmes for expansion and diversification of education, modern job skills development, entrepreneurial development, small business development, promotion of modern farming, policies for improving the quality and reputation of our labour force and thereby attracting investments and businesses into our country, policies for promotion of exports, etc. Put a people to work and persistently multiply the economic opportunities available to them, and the attraction to prosperity through competitive enterprise will gradually suppress indiscipline in their land. Fanciful programmes like WAI can have no lasting benefit or future – as I hope you must know by now. That is why the man who ousted you, Babangida, was able quite easily to wipe out all the patriotic gains of your regime.

Furthermore, I though t it was a pity that you did not appear to recognize that the over-centralization that was being given to our federation was the foundation of our ills as a country. You were wrong in thinking that punishing the corrupt leaders would destroy corruption abidingly. What is needed is to change the system into which corruption has been built. In our country’s case, we needed (and we need) to reduce the magnitude of our federal government and empower our state and local governments, which are nearer the people, to bear most of the burden of development. Then we need to give recognition and respect to our various nationalities in structuring the federation – which should mean that our larger nations would each constitute a state, and contiguous groups of our smaller nationalities would be assisted to form states, just as the Indians sensibly and profitably did in the 1960s.

By refusing to go that route, Nigeria has abysmally depressed its nationalities. For instance, my Yoruba nation came into Nigeria in 1914 as easily the fastest modernizing nationality in Black Africa; and we entered into independence with Nigeria in 1960 as the development front-liner and pace-setter in Africa. Today, we are a battered, poor, and disoriented nation, and most of our achievements have been wrecked, thanks to our being part of a Nigeria that destroys its peoples. Every other Nigerian nationality has similar stories to tell. My brother, I am, by nature and by upbringing, averse to merely lamenting an evil development; I act to change it. My potential urge, even as I write this, is to exert myself with others like me towards pulling my Yoruba nation out of Nigeria if Nigeria will not change course – and that is something that we Yoruba are perfectly capable to achieve if we are pushed to start upon it. And the same is true of some other persons and nations. In short, let’s not ignore or minimize the danger of Nigeria’s dissolution.

I know you have what it takes to change and save Nigeria. I wish you luck in your election – and I wish Nigeria luck.

Source: http://saharareporters.com/2014/12/18/letter-gen-buhari-prof-banji-akintoye

ALL RUBBISH !!!!
THIS MAN IS A HYPOCRITICAL SECTIONAL DIS UNIFYING ENTITY WHO NIGERIA MUST DO WITHOUT AS PRESIDENT.

2 Likes

Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by sufido123: 5:17am On Dec 19, 2014
Here he is gathering his baboons for blood soaking after he loses the election in 2015 with the help of his street urchins a/k/a Almajiri

1 Like

Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by sufido123: 5:23am On Dec 19, 2014
Your vote or your blood

Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by Btruth: 5:52am On Dec 19, 2014
If Obasanjo could quote in his book that "it will be better for him to be tried and go to jail in Buhari's government, than for him to see yet another 4 years of Jonathan coming into power" ......that means something seriously has gone bad. Another 4 years of Ebele will be like one journey into hell fire. Vote for a change today, vote APC. The change is here!

2 Likes

Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by mickeyenglish(m): 5:56am On Dec 19, 2014
Purity1:

Forgive me, but this is trash
...THRASH u call it! I don't know if u r dat good in History, but I guess u r not due to ur inability to read as signified by dat previous gentleman. History has made his claims known to us dat d Yorubas were truly an advanced race b4 dis failed experimental lab work known as Naija ,and when u talk of great Kingdoms and Empires in Africa, u will discover that d Yorubas were neva found wanting. Where were the so-called Igbos when we where busy expanding our kingdoms to empires? Where were d so-called ibos when the Ijebus were creating the first African gears of war? Where were dis cannibals when the Oyo empire waded-off the the Fulani jihadist of sheku Ahmadu and Uthman dan Fodio? Where were d slimy git worms know as d ibos when d Yoruba nation decide to av a field marshal over all oda generals in Yorubaland know as d "Aare Ona Kankanfo"? Where were dis creature of d underworld when the Yoruba traditional system of Government was d envy of the Europeans? Where were dis soulsess son and daughter of raped Biafran women when the Yoruba city-states were developing into independent super-powers(ekiti,Ibadan,Ijaiye,Owu,Ilesha)? Where were they when all dis happened...oops! Lemme guess! They were still evolving 4rm Homo-erectus to Homo-sapiens....look u race or tribe is literally unknown to various African history students because u were neva part of d African super power of the 16th,17th,18th and 19th centuries. We know d like of d Bantus, the Koisans and Sans, the Hottentous and d Zulu nation all of which r 4rom d Southern part of Africa simply because they had culture,traditions,norms,values,working system and great warriors of which we can relate to(Shaka the Zulu,Zwide of Dingiswayo)...go to any History class in d world where they teach Africcan History and u would be proud of what d Yoruba nation has acheived as a whole. U bloody ibos should thank ur stupid and dim stars dat u r part of a country where d Yoruba inhabitants dwell... And less I forget! There's no such thing as d "born to rule" syndrome dat u pple clamour about and d envy shown to ur filthy people by the Hausas and Yorubas because dis set of pple have being beta,stronger,powerful and smarter than ur tribe 4rm d creation of mankind. That's just d way tnz are my lady. Ur tribe has being inferior to the Yorubas and Hausas 4rm time past, r inferior now to them,and if u don't pull out of Nigeria, will remain INFERIOR till the rest of eternity. It was not ordained by man, but by God himself. U were meant to be our stooges y we were meant to be ur lords.d Yorubas av being in buisness b4 ur pple came into existense, we av being into advanced warfare b4 u apes became "thinking" creature(d dead BIAFRAN soldiers and warlords would testify to that) we had dabbled into the murky waters of politics when u guys were busy gathering fruits,seeds and nuts(typical of chimpanzees), we av being producing sane intellectuals and game changers b4 ancestors started putting syllabes 2geda to form words( it took an intelectual Awolowo to ensure dat u pple were notoriously and universally disgraced with a Guinness world record of not borrowing a penny 4rom outside d shores of Nigeria), we av being producing great warriors and Generals b4 ur ancestors leaped down 4rm d trees and started exploring and living in caves(it took a certain Colonel Benjamin"Black Scorpion" Adekunle and the 3MCD(3rd Marine Commando Devision) to ensure dat ur tribe remains bitter in agony 4 d rest of their "industrious" lives;in other words, he gave them something to remember..lol), the Yorubas av being erecting great structures 4rm time past even b4 ur pple knew wat "shelther" was meant 4(go to Oke Eri in IJEBU ODE the alleged final resting place of the Queen Of Sheeba( d queen who visited King Solomon)and d Great Pyramid there, the Yorubas av been into International relations even b4 d indigenous apes of d presnt day Anambra knew about d existence of the leave eating chimpanzees of d present day Ebonyi, the Yoruba av being creating magnificient and nearly imposible art works and artifacts( dat d European had to wage unnecesary wars and raids just to still them and take to their countries) even b4 u Orangutans started wearing animal hides and leaves as clothings....lemme stop here b'cos if I should continue u'll be amazed to aw insignicant u pple,WHERE,ARE and WILL always be. As d saying goes"one mans bright future is alway anoda mans gloomy past......!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by starlingbawa(m): 6:02am On Dec 19, 2014
hizroyalflynes:

But d $2.8bn nd 53 suit cases isn't about been a thief

If gmb or GEJ win it still d same thing
The system is corrupt those that make our Constitution didn't think deep even deeper
Nigeria constitution only favors A citizens
Salaries of political office holder is abysmal
Those that did d real jobs are d ones suffering

The money and power that comes with political office is d reason y pple rush and thus turn it to business
20% of budget goes into less than 400 people's pocket yet same system is been relied on to take us to d nxt level
Itz aiming for 5..yet u keep adding 2+1,2+2 it will still be the same thing

Exactly! Please tell them some more!!!!

So the coming of one man will 'AUTOMATICALLY ' eradicate corruption that is deeply embedded in our genes as Nigerians?

All of them clamouring for Buhari: anyone who hasn't in one 'LITTLE' way or the other been involved in any corrupt practice should be the first to raise his/her hand up? I'm sure non would!

You all fail to realise that by calling your friend who works at the bank to enable you jump the queue is a minute form of corruption! I bet a few are doing a rethink right now.

It is so bad that corrupt practices happen by default amongst Nigerians on a daily basis!

What is it? The country has been corrupt for well over 50 years and you all think that it will suddenly grind to a halt if and when Buhari emerges as president(which I know is highly unlikely considering how politics is in Nigeria).

You all should go back, get FELA's song (SUFFERING AND SMILING) and listen carefully to it, I repeat listen carefully to it and then see that the problem lies within you and I as citizens of Nigeria.

Again, I dare you all to watch the documentary 'THE REAL STORY OF NIGERIA' and I'm a 100% sure that you will all understand better how this polity called Nigeria functions!

We as Nigerians have this mentality of 'Make we manage am abeg' and 'I no wan die' and you sit there opening your mouth that Jonathan is bad! Do you people remember 'TIENNAMEN SQUARE RIOTS OF 1989 IN CHINA'

The issue of fuel subsidy protest that popped up in January of 2012 only lasted for 5 days and Nigerians were already tired! What a lazy bunch of people we all are and very corrupt minded by default too!

Until we conduct a 'RADICAL REVOLUTION' that change we so desire will continue to be a mirage.

Stop calling Jonathan corrupt and do the right thing yourself!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by Nobody: 6:10am On Dec 19, 2014
WhiteTechnology:

What the elderly said its what we the people of SS / SE have being talking about on Naira land but you guys failed to understand

CORRUPTION IS NOT THE PROBLEM BUT THE SYSTEM

Resource control / Fiscal federalism

Privatization

True federalism eg state police

Are the shortest route to national development.

Thank God in one of the thread

BUHARI PLAN FOR NIGERIA

I explained it in detail

Buhari won't achieve it because he comes from the part of Nigeria that opposes all these things

Finally

I believe this elderly read my comment which inspired him to write to saharareporters
Why didnt gej, a southerner acheive it too? what did we really gained from the just concluded national conference other than creation of additional states? Stop being ethnocentric!
Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by Nobody: 6:14am On Dec 19, 2014
omack:
whether buhari or osibanjo or whatever GEJ till 2019 APC can go and get fried
This is all you can bring to the discussion. it shows you lack capacity for intellectual discourse. gej till you stop reasoning with your anus and talking from both sides your mouth.
Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by Nobody: 6:25am On Dec 19, 2014
9jafreak:
My opinion:
1. This is the MOST PERFECT & MOST SUCCINCT summation of Nigeria's history, woes, and potentials ever!
2. Once again the Yoruba Nation will decide who 'lords over' over-centralized One Nigeria. But we are no fools. We mostly supported President Jonathan in 2011 and will mostly support Gen. Buhari in 2015 but the core question of our unfettered capacity to properly govern our nation within the Nigerian experiment remains at the height of our deepest desires.
3. And by God we will pull out of Nigeria if the General refuses to heed the words of wisdom.
4. To be honest, we have nothing really to lose in 2015. Jonathan in fact may lead Nigeria faster to the seemingly inevitable disintegration than GMB. We wait even as we plan...

Pull out of Nigeria ke? Why una wan run na? No be una grand papas fight to keep Nigeria one so there is no running away from you guys. Una go enjoy dis country tire

2 Likes

Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by xklucvG: 6:28am On Dec 19, 2014
Well said but i do not think the General, even with 100% support from us Yoruba would want to change the status quo because it favours his people. Absolute powers is what the Hausa/Fulani understands. Take a look at what happened at the recent national confab Coomasie and all northern deligate were in support of things remaining how it is. Even Senator Femi Okuroumu(the chairperson of the confab) was very disappointed.
Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by ISpiksDaTroof: 6:30am On Dec 19, 2014
eleojo23:
It is amusing that many people think that one man will just come and fix this country with some magic touch. Our problems have accumulated and it's going to take years and a lot of hard work to solve them. These problems have been caused partly by the leaders and to a large extent by the citizens themselves. We want someone who will come and fight corruption when we are not ready to leave our corrupt ways behind and embrace honesty. Everyone claims to have the fear of God but corruption is rife.
Nigeria will only be fixed when the citizens are ready to cooperate with the government. We all must change our values to promote right over wrong.

Until we realize that nation building is not the work of the president alone, we will keep waiting for the 'messiah' and I tell you, it's going to be a very long wait.
Wow, and 43 people actually clicked "Like" for this? You want the country to change but instead of blaming the Government --- which is the body responsible for law and order--- you turn around and point fingers at the ordinary citizens for not policing and prosecuting themselves.

If Government doesn't lead, citizens won't follow. End of story!

And this Govt has shown that it is unwilling to lead in the fight against the scourge called corruption.

1 Like

Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by zubizareta(m): 6:31am On Dec 19, 2014
thefakestan:
Firstly I dedicate my account to "TherealStan"

Well I think the problem of Nigeria is clear to most Nigerians,

The Most Corrupt people are the "Civil Servants / Public Servants, where corruption is a "Norm" to them.
"So soldier go, soldier come, "Barrack" remains".

Our Judiciary is the Bedrock of corruption, If for instance we have an autonomous Judiciary, I'm sure 90% of our problems would be solved, Because I can confidently Sue PHCN or Kaduna or Portharcourt Electricity distribution company whenever they fail to perform their duties and this is also related to other aspects.

No matter How good the Head is, If the Legs are rotten, it cannot take the Head to where it wants to go!!!

N.B - No system is completely efficient, but we can improve greatly.

For Instance

Muhammed said the N9.2billion inclusive of Value Added Tax was approved for the procurement of 750,000 units of clean cook stove and 18,000 wonder bags.

He said the stoves are expected to be delivered by Messrs Integra Renewable Energy Services Limited within a period of 12 weeks.

Same company !!!

The Federal Government and Messrs Signature Value Homes Ltd., on Tuesday signed over 80 million dollars Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to develop 1,672 houses in the FCT.

Where are our Journalists?

So guy u don't know what Messrs mean? who told you those companies are same thing? Smh...
Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by DesChyko: 6:39am On Dec 19, 2014
500GP:

YOU MEAN 2.8 MILLION VOTES, 5 STATES IN SOUTH WEST CANVASS FOR GEJ

HOW MANY VOTES DID SOUTH SOUTH /SOUTH EAST GAVE HIM?

That isn't the point.

The point is that the SouthWest didn't decide the election.
In case you didn't do the Maths, 2.8million out of 22million is less than 13% of the entire votes.
Considering that there are 3 major ethnic groups, a deciding faction should have nothing less than 30%-40% of the votes.
Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by willycrown: 6:39am On Dec 19, 2014
My only prayer is that crude oil price falls below $20 so that this obviously flawed, indolence breeding and growth stunting contraption called Nigeria can be restructured/dismantled. This marriage is obviously not working but, some people want to die in it because of easy oil money.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by coldFLARES1(m): 6:40am On Dec 19, 2014
Chukkasy:
Buhari ruled in the military era, thus he had the power to do add he wished without being questioned......we're talking about democracy here, where the president does not have the full right to determine who goes to prison........he can't even make a law without passing through the house...anything the house refuses can't be implemented. We're talking of a house full of corrupt people....for those of you clamoring for the so called change, I hope you're not bitterly disappointed......before anybody comes to lash me with abuses, I'm not siding with any party, just a concerned Nigerian.
Your fears are quite valid,methinks. Then again we are witnesses to the extensive powers of the president and as such would expect some positive change. Not a transformasun azenda that puts our development in reverse gear.
As for an uncooperating NASS, dissidents would be identified and creative means, like recall, would be used to weed them.
Once there's the will; a way is sure to materialise
Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by moyosore27384(m): 6:42am On Dec 19, 2014
Dear OP, am impressed with ur letter and pls readers i think we shld all repost dis on our fb wall. tnks
Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by eleojo23: 6:48am On Dec 19, 2014
ISpiksDaTroof:
Wow, and 43 people actually clicked "Like" for this? You want the country to change but instead of blaming the Government --- which is the body responsible for law and order--- you turn around and point fingers at the ordinary citizens for not policing and prosecuting themselves.

If Government doesn't lead, citizens won't follow. End of story!

And this Govt has shown that it is unwilling to lead in the fight against the scourge called corruption.
So those in government were imported from another planet, right?
They come from among the citizens and majority of the citizens have embraced corruption. Until the citizens change, the government will not change. What is democracy defined as again? Is it not government of the people by the people for the people? So you see that it is the same people that are leading/ruling themselves.
Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by Gordieshegz(m): 6:49am On Dec 19, 2014
judiciarypalava:
Ahhhhh, no wonder ppl don't trust Yoruba ppl. Just because of Thiefnibu puppet as VP you guys are singing different songs jus now, jus now. Proudly Igbo man, if you get money Na for your pocket and your house. So long as my daily bread does not come through you, you are OYO. We forget easily and often, the North is in the mess they are now because of some ingrates and wicked ppl like Atiku, GMB, Babanhida that will rather 'selfishlessly' keep their ppl in a perpetual state of poverty just to have foolish illiterates to work with for popularity. In the North there is no middle class, just the supper rich and the paupers.
That's the kind of orientation you guys want for the young youths. Shine your eyes and be wise nawali or forever remain...
Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by Gordieshegz(m): 6:51am On Dec 19, 2014
judiciarypalava:
Ahhhhh, no wonder ppl don't trust Yoruba ppl. Just because of Thiefnibu puppet as VP you guys are singing different songs jus now, jus now. Proudly Igbo man, if you get money Na for your pocket and your house. So long as my daily bread does not come through you, you are OYO. We forget easily and often, the North is in the mess they are now because of some ingrates and wicked ppl like Atiku, GMB, Babanhida that will rather 'selfishlessly' keep their ppl in a perpetual state of poverty just to have foolish illiterates to work with for popularity. In the North there is no middle class, just the supper rich and the paupers.
That's the kind of orientation you guys want for the young youths. Shine your eyes and be wise nawali or forever remain...

And you are still proud of the very ACEPHALOUS system that has reduced your ethnic group(igbo) to barely a no voice region when issues of national status are deliberated on??The seeming elimination of the middle class you accused the north of applies to every region of the nation and not only the north!!! At least,the present evidence of impoverishment and middle class elimination is traceable to some tribes...All thanks to your "clanswoman",mother in the lord,madam-do-good,the de'facto prime minister NOIweala that masterminded and justified economic measures that have consequently led to the persistent inflation rates giving birth to the supposed elimination of the middle class!!! God bless
Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by PenSniper: 6:53am On Dec 19, 2014
knowledgeable:

Do you know, that most 10 yrs old in Igbo land know that restructuring Nigeria will restructure out those vices like corruption, underdevelopment, bad governance at the center, and ultimately poverty. Why are Nigerians not bold enough to undertake that clear and straight forward approach?, cos some groups are afraid, and therefore are willing to destroy or even bring their group to extinction as long as the other group is destroyed too. This was what Obasonjo daughter was trying to point out to her dad on that letter about the unsustainability of the present system.

Sorry, you are anything but knowledgeable. please change your handle and stop pretending to be what you are not...
Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by xklucvG: 6:58am On Dec 19, 2014
mickeyenglish:
...THRASH u call it! I don't know if u r dat good in History, but I guess u r not due to ur inability to read as signified by dat previous gentleman. History has made his claims known to us dat d Yorubas were truly an advanced race b4 dis failed experimental lab work known as Naija ,and when u talk of great Kingdoms and Empires in Africa, u will discover that d Yorubas were neva found wanting. Where were the so-called Igbos when we where busy expanding our kingdoms to empires? Where were d so-called ibos when the Ijebus were creating the first African gears of war? Where were dis cannibals when the Oyo empire waded-off the the Fulani jihadist of sheku Ahmadu and Uthman dan Fodio? Where were d slimy git worms know as d ibos when d Yoruba nation decide to av a field marshal over all oda generals in Yorubaland know as d "Aare Ona Kankanfo"? Where were dis creature of d underworld when the Yoruba traditional system of Government was d envy of the Europeans? Where were dis soulsess son and daughter of raped Biafran women when the Yoruba city-states were developing into independent super-powers(ekiti,Ibadan,Ijaiye,Owu,Ilesha)? Where were they when all dis happened...oops! Lemme guess! They were still evolving 4rm Homo-erectus to Homo-sapiens....look u race or tribe is literally unknown to various African history students because u were neva part of d African super power of the 16th,17th,18th and 19th centuries. We know d like of d Bantus, the Koisans and Sans, the Hottentous and d Zulu nation all of which r 4rom d Southern part of Africa simply because they had culture,traditions,norms,values,working system and great warriors of which we can relate to(Shaka the Zulu,Zwide of Dingiswayo)...go to any History class in d world where they teach Africcan History and u would be proud of what d Yoruba nation has acheived as a whole. U bloody ibos should thank ur stupid and dim stars dat u r part of a country where d Yoruba inhabitants dwell... And less I forget! There's no such thing as d "born to rule" syndrome dat u pple clamour about and d envy shown to ur filthy people by the Hausas and Yorubas because dis set of pple have being beta,stronger,powerful and smarter than ur tribe 4rm d creation of mankind. That's just d way tnz are my lady. Ur tribe has being inferior to the Yorubas and Hausas 4rm time past, r inferior now to them,and if u don't pull out of Nigeria, will remain INFERIOR till the rest of eternity. It was not ordained by man, but by God himself. U were meant to be our stooges y we were meant to be ur lords.d Yorubas av being in buisness b4 ur pple came into existense, we av being into advanced warfare b4 u apes became "thinking" creature(d dead BIAFRAN soldiers and warlords would testify to that) we had dabbled into the murky waters of politics when u guys were busy gathering fruits,seeds and nuts(typical of chimpanzees), we av being producing sane intellectuals and game changers b4 ancestors started putting syllabes 2geda to form words( it took an intelectual Awolowo to ensure dat u pple were notoriously and universally disgraced with a Guinness world record of not borrowing a penny 4rom outside d shores of Nigeria), we av being producing great warriors and Generals b4 ur ancestors leaped down 4rm d trees and started exploring and living in caves(it took a certain Colonel Benjamin"Black Scorpion" Adekunle and the 3MCD(3rd Marine Commando Devision) to ensure dat ur tribe remains bitter in agony 4 d rest of their "industrious" lives;in other words, he gave them something to remember..lol), the Yorubas av being erecting great structures 4rm time past even b4 ur pple knew wat "shelther" was meant 4(go to Oke Eri in IJEBU ODE the alleged final resting place of the Queen Of Sheeba( d queen who visited King Solomon)and d Great Pyramid there, the Yorubas av been into International relations even b4 d indigenous apes of d presnt day Anambra knew about d existence of the leave eating chimpanzees of d present day Ebonyi, the Yoruba av being creating magnificient and nearly imposible art works and artifacts( dat d European had to wage unnecesary wars and raids just to still them and take to their countries) even b4 u Orangutans started wearing animal hides and leaves as clothings....lemme stop here b'cos if I should continue u'll be amazed to aw insignicant u pple,WHERE,ARE and WILL always be. As d saying goes"one mans bright future is alway anoda mans gloomy past......!
What! Why this so much hate on the Igbos. What is the sin of the Igbo, simply because they wanted out? We Niger Deltans have seen what the Igbos saw years ago and we will secede come what may the Ijaws, Binis, Urhobos, Itsekiris, Aniomas, Ukwales, Esans, Ogonis, all the tribes in the south south region of this geographical location called Nigeria have ceased to be part of your evil and bastard country called Nigeria.
Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by bareal(m): 7:01am On Dec 19, 2014
WhiteTechnology:

Why did you hide my comment

Anyway what this elderly said its what I have being talking about since

CORRUPTION IS NOT OUR PROBLEM BUT THE SYSTEM WE OPERATE

RESTRUCTURE NIGERIA NOW

Resource control/Fiscal federalism

Privatization

True federalism eg state police

Are the shortest route to National development

Buhari won't achieve it because he comes from a part of Nigeria that opposes all these things
My brother, how can you restructure a completely corrupt system when the corrupt are still there and kicking? all effort will be sabotaged like it's happening under Jonathan now..
Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by PenSniper: 7:02am On Dec 19, 2014
safarigirl:
brother go siddon for one corner...Yoruba holds wetin where? Una sabi road to pull out?

We're here talking about one Nigeria and you have the gall to make the entire election about one out of over 250 ethnic groups, shey the ewedu wey you chop this evening no done?

Please take this your tribalistic talk somewhere else, as if only Yoruba people will vote in 2015. Make una no dey spoil Buhari's chances with dumb tribalistic statements

What gutter language and thought !!!
Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by bareal(m): 7:05am On Dec 19, 2014
bonechamberlain:
nice...... but still don't understand the purpose of the letter
Correct! so much talk from the professor without actually saying anything, no wonder he was jailed.
Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by xklucvG: 7:06am On Dec 19, 2014
U just cant comment reasonably without a swipe at somebody? Why the insult at the minister( Okonjo Iweala). No atom of respect from you to anybody you lack proper home upbringing. Shit.
Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by ukandi1(m): 7:18am On Dec 19, 2014
mickeyenglish:

wasted sperms
Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by smilingdon: 7:31am On Dec 19, 2014
9jafreak:
First of all, I congratulate you warmly for winning the nomination of your party for the presidency of Nigeria.

Though you and I are different in ethnicity and religion, we have many important things in common. I am a few years older than you – which means that if you and I had been Yoruba boys born in the same Yoruba town or village, we would have belonged to about the same age-grade Association ( with us Yoruba, age-grade loyalty is traditionally a very important factor of life). Moreover, you and I were young Nigerians in an era, the 1950s, when our up-and coming country of Nigeria was a source of great pride to its citizens, and an emerging titan eagerly awaited by most informed people all over the world.

The three regions of our federation (East, North and West) were engaged in an ambitious rivalry for progress and for improvements in the quality of life of our people. They were able to do that and achieve considerable successes because our constitutional structure gave them much leeway to manage their own affairs within the common Nigerian family. We arrived at independence in 1960 believing that our country was set on the path to becoming the blackman’s world power of modern times.

Unhappily, now that you and I are in our seventies, there is nothing left of our country’s ambitions and pride – indeed, there is hardly anything left of our country itself. Relentlessly crooked up, violated, robbed and depleted since 1960, our Nigeria seems now to be stumbling towards its demise.

As you prepare for your election, I decided to write you this open letter concerning our country, because I know you will understand the pain and expectations behind my words. The purpose of most of Nigeria’s rulers since 1960 has been to weaken and even destroy regional and local initiatives in order to gather all power, control and influence together at the federal center. Their success in doing that has enabled them to remove the management of development far away from our people, and to institute at the federal centre a viciously corrupt, wasteful and incompetent monstrosity. Reduced to the status of beggar clients of the federal robber barons, the state governments, as well as the local governments, collapsed and fell in line as submissive incompetents and mini-robbers.

In the process, real and productive enterprise quickly declined among our people, as the best and most ambitious rushed to join the ranks of the sharers of fraudulently acquired wealth from the public coffers. Our schools and universities, our public service, our police force, our military, our judiciary, all our governmental agencies (electoral commission, secret service, central bank, ports service, immigration service, public examination bodies, etc) – all collapsed under the weight of crooked control, massive corruption and generalized disloyalty. Poverty descended mightily into our country and became the lot of the overwhelming and increasing majority of our people. Our government itself admits that, today, about 70% of our citizens live in “absolute poverty” and that that percentage keeps increasing. With the growing poverty have escalated horrific crimes, a culture of dishonesty, a rush of our youths to Salafist fundamentalist terrorism, and mass flights of the educated to other lands – all of which are compounding the poverty.

From your well-known record as a leader of our country, I know that you are not only aware of these things, but that, in common with many members of our generation, you are seriously pained by them. I confess that I was very angry with you during your brief stint as military ruler, 1983-5. First, you seemed to me to be power-drunk at the time—because you made no distinction between the corrupt who had been stealing and sharing public money under Shagari and those who were known to have been resisting the robbery. I belonged to the frontline of senators who were well known to have, on the floor of the Senate, resisted the mass corruption, and yet your military government detained me (and many like me), and I languished for four months in prison without any accusation–even without being asked any question by any official.

And then, you and Idiagbon expended most of your obviously shining capabilities in pursuing nebulous and amateurish programmes like WAI (War Against Indiscipline), when what our country really needed was (after you had fiercely shot down corruption as you did) to massively divert our enormous oil revenues into investments in the lives of our people–through programmes for expansion and diversification of education, modern job skills development, entrepreneurial development, small business development, promotion of modern farming, policies for improving the quality and reputation of our labour force and thereby attracting investments and businesses into our country, policies for promotion of exports, etc. Put a people to work and persistently multiply the economic opportunities available to them, and the attraction to prosperity through competitive enterprise will gradually suppress indiscipline in their land. Fanciful programmes like WAI can have no lasting benefit or future – as I hope you must know by now. That is why the man who ousted you, Babangida, was able quite easily to wipe out all the patriotic gains of your regime.

Furthermore, I though t it was a pity that you did not appear to recognize that the over-centralization that was being given to our federation was the foundation of our ills as a country. You were wrong in thinking that punishing the corrupt leaders would destroy corruption abidingly. What is needed is to change the system into which corruption has been built. In our country’s case, we needed (and we need) to reduce the magnitude of our federal government and empower our state and local governments, which are nearer the people, to bear most of the burden of development. Then we need to give recognition and respect to our various nationalities in structuring the federation – which should mean that our larger nations would each constitute a state, and contiguous groups of our smaller nationalities would be assisted to form states, just as the Indians sensibly and profitably did in the 1960s.

By refusing to go that route, Nigeria has abysmally depressed its nationalities. For instance, my Yoruba nation came into Nigeria in 1914 as easily the fastest modernizing nationality in Black Africa; and we entered into independence with Nigeria in 1960 as the development front-liner and pace-setter in Africa. Today, we are a battered, poor, and disoriented nation, and most of our achievements have been wrecked, thanks to our being part of a Nigeria that destroys its peoples. Every other Nigerian nationality has similar stories to tell. My brother, I am, by nature and by upbringing, averse to merely lamenting an evil development; I act to change it. My potential urge, even as I write this, is to exert myself with others like me towards pulling my Yoruba nation out of Nigeria if Nigeria will not change course – and that is something that we Yoruba are perfectly capable to achieve if we are pushed to start upon it. And the same is true of some other persons and nations. In short, let’s not ignore or minimize the danger of Nigeria’s dissolution.

I know you have what it takes to change and save Nigeria. I wish you luck in your election – and I wish Nigeria luck.

Source: http://saharareporters.com/2014/12/18/letter-gen-buhari-prof-banji-akintoye

I want to thank GMB and his supporters so far for their criticisms against the continuity of our present government but I want to remind them of the proverb that says that "putting off another man's light does not make yours shine brighter" you have done a good job by making out president GEJ more popular, thanks for that.

I want to encourage my president GEJ and also pray that God will strengthen you to rise above all your critics in Jesus name. Amen.

Change as we all know is progressive but always slow if not it will breed a lot casualties and enemies. My country people let us join hands together and support GEJ in 2015 election. The only man who refused to be moved and tossed about despite the covert challenges being fired against him both from political and religious angles.
God bless u my reader!
God bless the president of Nigeria!!
God bless Nigeria!!!
Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by rhymz(m): 7:34am On Dec 19, 2014
I just get angry when I see the southwest media propaganda make statements like the southwest will determine who will win the elections, or the southwest is the determining region, bullshyte.
In the last election, what was the number of votes that cane from the south west to the winner of that election. How did that number decide anything?

Southwest people keep making exaggerated utterances of their importance to decide who wins an election yet in reality we don't see all that. Jonathan got most of his votes from the eastern region, they decided the vote for him followed by the middle belt. What he got from the southwest was around 13percent so where is all this we will decide the vote and all that crappy claims.
Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by Chukkasy(m): 7:42am On Dec 19, 2014
coldFLARES1:
Your fears are quite valid,methinks. Then again we are witnesses to the extensive powers of the president and as such would expect some positive change. Not a transformasun azenda that puts our development in reverse gear.
As for an uncooperating NASS, dissidents would be identified and creative means, like recall, would be used to weed them.
Once there's the will; a way is sure to materialise
even if the president selects saints to be ministers, without the approval of the house, they won't be accepted.check the people that will make up the Senate, they're past governors who are more corrupt than the devil....even this so called APC has one of the most corrupt Nigerian(Tinubu)...what change are they selling Nigerians?
Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by thefakestan: 7:50am On Dec 19, 2014
zubizareta:

So guy u don't know what Messrs mean? who told you those companies are same thing? Smh...

Ok Noted!!!
Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by ayando(m): 7:51am On Dec 19, 2014
eleojo23:

So those in government were imported from another planet, right?
They come from among the citizens and majority of the citizens have embraced corruption. Until the citizens change, the government will not change. What is democracy defined as again? Is it not government of the people by the people for the people? So you see that it is the same people that are leading/ruling themselves.

Majority of the citizens embraced it because it is the order of the day. when the head is corrupt, every other parts will have the leeway to be corrupt too. we still have few who aren't corrupt; that is the change we are asking. For someone who has clean history of discipline ,dont you think he should be allowed as against smone who reeks of corruption himself.
Re: Letter To Gen. Buhari By Prof. Banji Akintoye (A Must Read) by rexzqcom(m): 8:00am On Dec 19, 2014
bareal:

Correct! so much talk from the professor without actually saying anything, no wonder he was jailed.

What the prof said in a nutshell are: our centralized system is what breeds corruptions .He recommended decentralizing into regional system as it was before military intrusion into government. And to encourage regional competition.Bringing govt closer to the people through empowered local autonomy.He also chided buhari as being power drunk during his military regime, because buhari's focus lacked initiatives that could have sustainably abolish corruption in the nation.He wished him good luck in the election. He didn't endorse him nor promise to converse others to vote for him. In my opinion, he sees buhari as incapable to really deal with curruption. Because Buhari doesn't have, or know the wherewithal of real sustainable discipline. Which is only attainable from SELF_DISCIPLINE, that is only possible with basic needs satisfaction. Otherwise, no amount of threat, jail,or prison will deter the needy from intentional breaking laws and damn the consequences.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Northern Group Gives Saraki 3days Ultimatum To Resign As President Of The Senate / Buhari Meets With Nigerian Girls Who Bagged First Class In India (Photos) / Zannah Mustapha Who Set 82 Chibok Girls Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 179
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.