Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,889 members, 7,802,863 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:52 PM

Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules (8282 Views)

Buhari Does Not Have Right To Cut His Salary — Odinkalu / Church Protests Against Boko Haram Prisoners In Anambra (photos) / UPDATE:Jonathan Lacks Powers To Deploy Troops For Elections- Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules by Nobody: 10:32am On Dec 19, 2014
What sort of judgement is this?
Re: Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules by neuroneXY(m): 10:34am On Dec 19, 2014
Very soon dem go announce make dogs dey vote

#mumu people!
Re: Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules by Baddestguyp(m): 10:42am On Dec 19, 2014
wat of boko haram prisoners, should they be allowed to vote for the politician sponsoring them

1 Like

Re: Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules by kdjo: 10:46am On Dec 19, 2014
no, they should not, they will always vote against the present president

Re: Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules by Sweetlemon(f): 10:46am On Dec 19, 2014
I see.

Promise the prisoners freedom on the condition that they vote for Jonathan.

Bravo!

1 Like

Re: Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules by Spencer28(m): 10:46am On Dec 19, 2014
Its not right, aow can prisoners ve the right to vote?
They ve lost dre rights since the day dey ve bn sentenced to prison.

1 Like

Re: Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules by Sweetlemon(f): 10:47am On Dec 19, 2014
Baddestguyp:
wat of boko haram prisoners, should they be allowed to vote for the politician sponsoring them

My dear!

1 Like

Re: Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules by ogirma: 10:49am On Dec 19, 2014
As a student of criminology this is wrong but since this is a legal issue, I don't really have much to say but that aside
Do prisoners in the First world countries vote?
Why have we not implemented other forms of incarceration in our prison system, like Plea Bargain, House Arrest, social works i.e community service etc.
Issues of welfarism, good prison conditions etc have not been addressed now we want them to vote?
They are incarcerated because they have offended d society now we want them to vote? Which means they have d same right as members of the society.
And pls I want to know is it not the same constitution that bars a convict from contesting an election in nigeria?
Let's see how it unfolds but base on my own view a student of criminology this is wrong
We have not even solve the Issue of Awaiting trial Inmates we are taking of them voting.

3 Likes

Re: Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules by gunther6(m): 10:51am On Dec 19, 2014
That doesn't sound right, Jonathan is desperate with all this kabukabu, retail rulings and injunctions he has been obtaining from corrupt judges. even ex-convicts cannot vote in America.... orisirisi obe la ma ri lojo iku erin

2 Likes

Re: Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules by Sweetlemon(f): 10:56am On Dec 19, 2014
gunther6:
That doesn't sound right, Jonathan is desperate with all this kabukabu, retail rulings and injunctions he has been obtaining from corrupt judges. even ex-convicts cannot vote in America.... orisirisi obe la ma ri lojo iku erin

My dear! cry
Re: Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules by jpphilips(m): 10:56am On Dec 19, 2014
If the members of the armed forces are not allowed to vote (being federal organs), why will a property of state like prisoners vote?
How can an inmate who is on death/life sentence decide the next four years for people living through it?
Doesn't make sense, only the federal govt have the record of all the prison inmates, we don't want another Micheal Jackson ballot paper voting for PDP by Maurice Iwu's standard.

1 Like

Re: Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules by reemix123(m): 10:59am On Dec 19, 2014
Just goes to show the moral decline in our society. The whole purpose of prison is to lock a person away and deny them rights and freedom as a way to pay back to society for the crimes they have committed. The prison is to remove them from society. Giving them the right to vote is totally wrong. But there again criminals have always had more rights in the country so nothing is new

2 Likes

Re: Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules by GogetterMD(m): 11:01am On Dec 19, 2014
Of course! If a convicted criminal could be voted for in prison(Omisore comes to mind), the prisoners should equally have rights to cast their votes
Re: Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules by laroux(m): 11:06am On Dec 19, 2014
Prisoners are the dregs of the society and shouldn't be have any rights whatsoever. This country never falls to amuse me all the time. Where on earth has it been heard that prisoners have the right to exercise their bloody franchise? They lost whatever rights they had the day they were convicted. Nonsense. I'm so surprised so these folks on NL actually support this crap.

1 Like

Re: Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules by Nobody: 11:07am On Dec 19, 2014
ogirma:
As a student of criminology this is wrong but since this is a legal issue, I don't really have much to say but that aside
Do prisoners in the First world countries vote?
Why have we not implemented other forms of incarceration in our prison system, like Plea Bargain, House Arrest, social works i.e community service etc.
Issues of welfarism, good prison conditions etc have not been addressed now we want them to vote?
They are incarcerated because they have offended d society now we want them to vote? Which means they have d same right as members of the society.
And pls I want to know is it not the same constitution that bars a convict from contesting an election in nigeria?
Let's see how it unfolds but base on my own view a student of criminology this is wrong
We have not even solve the Issue of Awaiting trial Inmates we are taking of them voting.
Here in the US, two states-Vermont and Maine-allow prisoners to vote thru special absentee ballots. For the most part, voting rights is a state issue here.

1 Like

Re: Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules by donodion(m): 11:07am On Dec 19, 2014
lalasticlala:
BENIN—A Federal High Court sitting in Benin, Edo State, has held that prisoners in Nigerian prisons have the right to vote in all elections conducted in the country.

Justice Mohammed Lima, who made the ruling in a suit by Victor Emenuwe, Onome Inaye, Kabiru Abu, Osagie Iyekepolor, Modugu Odion (for and on behalf of inmates of Nigeria Prisons), against the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, and the Controller-General of Nigeria Prisons Service, also directed the defendants to ensure that the applicants were not disenfranchised.

The plaintiffs had, in the suit, asked the court to determine “whether, having regards to the provisions of section 25 of the 1999 Constitution, as amended in 2011,and section 12 (1) of the Electoral Act 2010, the plaintiffs are not entitled to be registered as voters by INEC.”

They had also prayed the court to determine, whether having regard to the provisions of Section 77 (2) of the 1999 Constitution and Section 12 (1) of the Electoral Act 2010, the plaintiffs were not entitled to cast their votes at any election in the country.

They had also asked the court to determine whether the failure of INEC to make registration and voting provisions for the inmates in the custody of Nigerian prisons does not constitute an infringement on their rights as citizens of Nigeria as enshrined in section 14 (1) (2) (a) (b), section 17 (2) (a), section 24 (b), (c),section 39 of the 1999 constitution and Article 13 (1) and Article 20 (1) of the African Charter on Human and People’s Rights.

In his judgment, Justice Lima, said: “Act byINEC to deny inmates the right to vote is unconstitutional, illegal, irregular, unlawful,null and void and of no effect whatsoever. The defendants do not have the constitutional right to deny the claimants their voting rights.“Being an inmate is not an offence that impedes their registration and voting right under section 24 of the Electoral Act; and that the exclusion of inmates in elections conducted in Nigeria is illegal and ultra vires.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/12/prisoners-nigeria-right-vote-elections-court-rules/
Hahahahahaha..anything to keep the clueless one in power....why not first decide in court if citizens in. the diasporas have the right to vote....we all know wht the result would be.

1 Like

Re: Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules by donodion(m): 11:09am On Dec 19, 2014
laroux:
Prisoners are the dregs of the society and shouldn't be have any rights whatsoever. This country never falls to amuse me all the time. Where on earth has it been heard that prisoners have the right to exercise their bloody franchise? They lost whatever rights they had the day they were convicted. Nonsense. I'm so surprised so these folks on NL actually support this crap.
And you also need to know not everyone in.prison were actually guilty.Many were victims ot circumstances,so many are awaiting trials yet still in jail.
Re: Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules by Nobody: 11:09am On Dec 19, 2014
gunther6:
Ex-convicts can vote in some US states like California and 18 other states.

1 Like

Re: Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules by Suljosh: 11:52am On Dec 19, 2014
ignis:
Good...
Pre election campaign stomach infrastructure will still flood the prison.

I pray it doesn't give room for rigging.
exactly my thinking
Re: Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules by Skimpledawg(m): 12:01pm On Dec 19, 2014
MillionDollars:
it still doesn't change the fact that G.E.J riding back to OTUOKE come FEBRUARY!!!
Na u wan drive am! Abeg ee! Dz shit is becoming stale! Try sth else undecided
Re: Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules by Nobody: 12:06pm On Dec 19, 2014
E come remain the person who go come vote for d gorvernment who imprison him
Re: Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules by HIPROFILE(m): 12:43pm On Dec 19, 2014
Well for me I dant care about what direction the judge has ruled but I can't understand this A CONVICT STILL IN DETENTION BEING GIVEN FREEDOM OF FRANCHISE ?................... Naija anything goes few weeks back it was unknown gun men freeing up prisoners from one prison to another (naija prison break) now the rule of the so called democracy we say we practice in Nigeria is extended to them an anomaly jast in the name of playing to the gallery ......they should also make sure that numerous Nigerians in Ghanian prisons vote too... There was really a country....

1 Like

Re: Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules by KLand(m): 12:51pm On Dec 19, 2014
They can vote but they can't be voted for? This judgment comes as a surprise really.

1 Like

Re: Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules by Sweetlemon(f): 1:00pm On Dec 19, 2014
CFCfan:

Ex-convicts can vote in some US states like California and 18 other states.

CFCfan:

Here in the US, two states-Vermont and Maine-allow prisoners to vote thru special absentee ballots. For the most part, voting rights is a state issue here.

And has Nigeria gotten to that stage? have we matured enough for that? Do we have the right things in place to ensure that these prisoners will not be used for something else? The fact only two states out of fifty states in a whole US of A can allow prisoners vote says a lot about how risky it is.

Please let's be real.

1 Like

Re: Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules by Nobody: 1:07pm On Dec 19, 2014
Sweetlemon:

And has Nigeria gotten to that stage? have we matured enough for that? Do we have the right things in place to ensure that these prisoners will not be used for something else? The fact only two states out of fifty states in a whole US of A can allow prisoners vote says a lot about how risky it is.

Please let's be real.
I agree it's kinda risky to make a nationwide ruling allowing prisoners to vote. The FHC's interpretation of the relevant constitutional provisions could still be appealed by INEC at the Court of Appeal.
Re: Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules by rusher14: 1:13pm On Dec 19, 2014
Oga warden, Any of them that refuses to vote for me you don't feed for a week.
Subsequent weeks, hard labour.
Ok? grin

1 Like

Re: Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules by dagbokoncept(m): 1:31pm On Dec 19, 2014
some prisoners go chop small change too be that. Hmmm! no be small matter.
Re: Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules by jaybee(f): 1:41pm On Dec 19, 2014
lalasticlala:
BENIN—A Federal High Court sitting in Benin, Edo State, has held that prisoners in Nigerian prisons have the right to vote in all elections conducted in the country.

Justice Mohammed Lima, who made the ruling in a suit by Victor Emenuwe, Onome Inaye, Kabiru Abu, Osagie Iyekepolor, Modugu Odion (for and on behalf of inmates of Nigeria Prisons), against the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, and the Controller-General of Nigeria Prisons Service, also directed the defendants to ensure that the applicants were not disenfranchised.

The plaintiffs had, in the suit, asked the court to determine “whether, having regards to the provisions of section 25 of the 1999 Constitution, as amended in 2011,and section 12 (1) of the Electoral Act 2010, the plaintiffs are not entitled to be registered as voters by INEC.”

They had also prayed the court to determine, whether having regard to the provisions of Section 77 (2) of the 1999 Constitution and Section 12 (1) of the Electoral Act 2010, the plaintiffs were not entitled to cast their votes at any election in the country.

They had also asked the court to determine whether the failure of INEC to make registration and voting provisions for the inmates in the custody of Nigerian prisons does not constitute an infringement on their rights as citizens of Nigeria as enshrined in section 14 (1) (2) (a) (b), section 17 (2) (a), section 24 (b), (c),section 39 of the 1999 constitution and Article 13 (1) and Article 20 (1) of the African Charter on Human and People’s Rights.

In his judgment, Justice Lima, said: “Act byINEC to deny inmates the right to vote is unconstitutional, illegal, irregular, unlawful,null and void and of no effect whatsoever. The defendants do not have the constitutional right to deny the claimants their voting rights.“Being an inmate is not an offence that impedes their registration and voting right under section 24 of the Electoral Act; and that the exclusion of inmates in elections conducted in Nigeria is illegal and ultra vires.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/12/prisoners-nigeria-right-vote-elections-court-rules/

HAS ANYONE EVER SAID THAT PRISONERS HAVE NO RIGHT TO VOTE AND BE VOTED FOR IN NIGERIA?

CAN ANYONE REMEMBER THAT SENATOR IYIOLA OMOSORE WAS ELECTED TO SENATE WHILE IN PRISON?

THIS IS JUST A CASE TO ADVERTIZE SOME PEOPLE IN A MEDIA SENSATIONAL MASTURBATION.
Re: Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules by BlazeCBK(m): 4:15pm On Dec 19, 2014
Hmmmmmmmmm, if inmates got the rights to vote, equally, they have got a full right to be voted for as well.

Don't be surprise when you see a prisoner vying for presidency come 2019.
Re: Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules by panpan(m): 9:29pm On Dec 19, 2014
Prisoners may have a right to vote, but it is not the duty of INEC to carry people to the registration centre or polling booth. So if prisoners want to vote, they should find a means of transporting themselves to the appropriate place.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos Raises ₦100 Billion Infrastructure Bond / 21,524 APC Members Defect To PDP In Plateau State / Alvan Ikoku: Panel Indicts Okorocha Over Forceful Acquisition Of Land

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.