Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,638 members, 7,801,847 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:53 AM

How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) (168431 Views)

World's Largest Pig Farm In Kano / Mangu-Bokkos-Plateau: The Largest Mechanized Farm In Nigeria / How To Start And Grow A Profitable Plantain Flour Business In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (68) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 2:52pm On Dec 23, 2014
Important steps to take to start a successful plantain

1.Learn from only successful farmers; a lot of people claim to be successful in plantain farming business but they have no plantain farm; some people call them internet farmers,they lift pictures of farms from the internet to deceive people.

2.Get practical training from successful farmers.

3.Be a learner all the time.learn from mistakes,have a mentor who is a successful farmer.

more to come...stay connected

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:29pm On Dec 23, 2014
What a great day!
9days countdown to 2015...Better years ahead
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by amme1(m): 8:52pm On Dec 23, 2014
Nice write up. Following
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by foluwatosin: 9:42pm On Dec 23, 2014
Sir,thank u for ur enlightment.pls sir,I will like to know if those acres/heactres of land used for dis farming are govt/private owned?cos I need a land for plantain farmin,thanks
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by opo26: 10:20pm On Dec 23, 2014
my boss I dey ur back ooo
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 11:08pm On Dec 23, 2014
amme1:
Nice write up. Following
Thanks for following.
People like you motivate me to give my best.
God bless you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 11:14pm On Dec 23, 2014
foluwatosin:
Sir,thank u for ur enlightment.pls sir,I will like to know if those acres/heactres of land used for dis farming are govt/private owned?cos I need a land for plantain farmin,thanks
Its privately owned.You need your own personal land for plantain,oilpalm unlike cassava that you can lease farmland.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 11:18pm On Dec 23, 2014
opo26:
my boss I dey ur back ooo
Your daily gift blesses me.Thank you.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 11:22pm On Dec 23, 2014
Believe you can succeed and you will

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by stint(m): 11:23pm On Dec 23, 2014
Lesgupnigeria:

Firstly,the time you planted your plantain is not the right time to plant.
From what you stated, you planted in October.
To plant at that time of the year, you need btw 2-3times/week of watering of the plantain.

To reduce cost of production,make use of herbicides to control weeds.
i will elaborate on the kind of herbicides you can use later on this thread.

When last did you water it?

How many acres of land is the farm?

where are you based and where is your farm located?

Thanks for your prompt responce. My farm is located in a farm settlement in osun state. It was late september when i pla6nted, 26th. I know its a bit late but was encouraged by neighbour farms who were still planting at that time. I planted 1600 suckers on approximately 3acres leaving like 2acres empty. I have never wattered it. I went to inspect it recently and found that it need weeding. Some did well while some didnt. But i need to weed so i can more accurately observe the plants. My location is lagos. Its just funds that has really kept me away. I cant afford a well right now. Cost of weeding is not high in my location. 15K will do it. I just think its best that the first weeding is best done manually. Or u thinki it makes no difference if i use herbicodes ?

2 Likes

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by stint(m): 11:31pm On Dec 23, 2014
Oga mi i must confess o. This your suckers look really nice.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:45am On Dec 24, 2014
stint:

Thanks for your prompt responce. My farm is located in a farm settlement in osun state. It was late september when i pla6nted, 26th. I know its a bit late but was encouraged by neighbour farms who were still planting at that time. I planted 1600 suckers on approximately 3acres leaving like 2acres empty. I have never wattered it. I went to inspect it recently and found that it need weeding. Some did well while some didnt. But i need to weed so i can more accurately observe the plants. My location is lagos. Its just funds that has really kept me away. I cant afford a well right now. Cost of weeding is not high in my location. 15K will do it. I just think its best that the first weeding is best done manually. Or u thinki it makes no difference if i use herbicodes ?

It actually depends on how experience and good workers you have in applying herbicides.
If they dont know how to apply herbicides,manual weeding will.be preferable.

Herbicide apllication is cheaper,with good results.

I will highlight some.mistakes you have made on this plantain farm and how to correct them.

First of all,the quantities of plantain you planted was not enough for the 3acres you planted, about 3000 suckers are to planted on that 3 acres.

Another mistake you did was the type of suckers you planted.You actually planted the wrong type of sucker. (the reason some of the suckers does not grow)

On this thread,i have shown you the better kind of suckers to make use of in planting

If the better suckers have been planted,i am.very sure that even with no rainfall, your suckers will still grow and look very healthy ( although the growth rate might not be like when there is rainfall)

I have seen a lot of poor,-growing suckers being advertised by people who claim to.be plantain farmers in this agric section.Beware,next time you are.buying,buy the good suckers.

Even in rainy season,if you make use of poor suckers,some will.not grow ( the cost implication of any of your suckers not growing is that the money you pay for a sucker and the cost of transportation on the sucker is a waste which will eventually affect your revenue).

For instance you use #100,000 to procure 1000 suckers meaning that #100 was used to procure 1sucker and your transportation.cost for the suckers is #100,000 meaning that cost of transporting 1 suckers was #100

Now if a sucker fail to grow,that means you have began to make loss.

You lose about #200 on a sucker.(#100 for procuring and #100 for transporting it)

if 10% of the suckers(100 suckers) fails to grow,then you have lost #20,000 already.

There is nothing you can do about the farm,just wait till February when rain is expected to start.

I am taking my time to.show you how and why many farmers have started making loss even before the harvest time.

Please update me on the status of your farm.
you can post the pictures whenever you are on the farm. i am.very much interested and will offer free services for you and hopefully the farm will pick up and be very profitable.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:50am On Dec 24, 2014
stint:
Oga mi i must confess o. This your suckers look really nice.
thanks.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:15am On Dec 24, 2014
The picture is the good suckers you should always purchase to have good growth,yield and better harvest.

As you can see this sucker,it has already grow and by the time you get this sucker to the field,even with or without rain, you are sure to have good growth.

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:26am On Dec 24, 2014
These suckers will not grow until about 2 months meaning that time to.begin harvest will be more than 12 months and i can assure you that more than 10% will not even grow at all.

Stay connected.... more to.come

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:53am On Dec 24, 2014
I want to use this medium to thank everybody that have made this thread and agric section vibrant this year....people who follow my threads,those who add their input on my threads, those who contribute meaningfully to this threads.

Let make 2015 more informative,more fun.filled,more constructive cruticism and more vibrant.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 11:30am On Dec 24, 2014
I want to use this medium to thank
everybody that have made this thread and
agric section vibrant this year....people who
follow my threads,those who add their input
on my threads, those who contribute
meaningfully to this threads.
Let make 2015 more informative,more
fun.filled,more constructive cruticism and
more vibrant.

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Soloxam(m): 1:01pm On Dec 24, 2014
Lesgupnigeria:
I want to use this medium to thank
everybody that have made this thread and
agric section vibrant this year....people who
follow my threads,those who add their input
on my threads, those who contribute
meaningfully to this threads.
Let make 2015 more informative,more
fun.filled,more constructive cruticism and
more vibrant.
Bros this thread is very educative, well don God bless you sir... Great farmer, Great nation.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 2:39pm On Dec 24, 2014
Soloxam:
Bros this thread is very educative, well don God bless you sir... Great farmer, Great nation.
Amen. thank you.
i have been following your new thread,you are doing a great job.keep it up.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 4:53pm On Dec 24, 2014
We find it difficult to say am sorry because of our arrogant and pride in us but it created good atmosphere if we can say am sorry it prolong friendship check yourself anybody you hold grudges against as this year is passing make your correction.

merry Christmas
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:10pm On Dec 24, 2014
Do Agric....Create wealth
The time is now to start in agricbusiness.

Make more money with less in agribusiness.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 10:24pm On Dec 24, 2014
Thank you @ Aidenehi
God bless you for the message.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Soloxam(m): 10:58pm On Dec 24, 2014
Lesgupnigeria:

Amen. thank you.
i have been following your new thread,you are doing a great job.keep it up.
Thanks boss.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by stint(m): 11:27pm On Dec 24, 2014
Lesgupnigeria:

It actually depends on how experience and good workers you have in applying herbicides.
If they dont know how to apply herbicides,manual weeding will.be preferable.

Herbicide apllication is cheaper,with good results.

I will highlight some.mistakes you have made on this plantain farm and how to correct them.

First of all,the quantities of plantain you planted was not enough for the 3acres you planted, about 3000 suckers are to planted on that 3 acres.

Another mistake you did was the type of suckers you planted.You actually planted the wrong type of sucker. (the reason some of the suckers does not grow)

On this thread,i have shown you the better kind of suckers to make use of in planting

If the better suckers have been planted,i am.very sure that even with no rainfall, your suckers will still grow and look very healthy ( although the growth rate might not be like when there is rainfall)

I have seen a lot of poor,-growing suckers being advertised by people who claim to.be plantain farmers in this agric section.Beware,next time you are.buying,buy the good suckers.

Even in rainy season,if you make use of poor suckers,some will.not grow ( the cost implication of any of your suckers not growing is that the money you pay for a sucker and the cost of transportation on the sucker is a waste which will eventually affect your revenue).

For instance you use #100,000 to procure 1000 suckers meaning that #100 was used to procure 1sucker and your transportation.cost for the suckers is #100,000 meaning that cost of transporting 1 suckers was #100

Now if a sucker fail to grow,that means you have began to make loss.

You lose about #200 on a sucker.(#100 for procuring and #100 for transporting it)

if 10% of the suckers(100 suckers) fails to grow,then you have lost #20,000 already.

There is nothing you can do about the farm,just wait till February when rain is expected to start.

I am taking my time to.show you how and why many farmers have started making loss even before the harvest time.

Please update me on the status of your farm.
you can post the pictures whenever you are on the farm. i am.very much interested and will offer free services for you and hopefully the farm will pick up and be very profitable.

Thanks a million for your advise. From what u said, i think ill just buy herbocides and employ a good local farmer to spray it for me, then wait for the rains to start. Please which herbicides do i use? Force up, gramazone,....which one?

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by stint(m): 11:40pm On Dec 24, 2014
See the pics above. Many look like they really need water. I hope they survive the dry season. I use 2.5 metres spacing. Is it too much? We had to leave some places we couldnt clear cause of seeuous chukuchuk. Tell me what u think.

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:02am On Dec 25, 2014
MERRY CHRISTMAS PEOPLE.

@stint
i will come back to answer your questions.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:32am On Dec 25, 2014
stint:

Thanks a million for your advise. From what u said, i think ill just buy herbocides and employ a good local farmer to spray it for me, then wait for the rains to start. Please which herbicides do i use? Force up, gramazone,....which one?
Assuming the worker thats going to spray the herbicides has the experience of carrying out the job,then there is no need to cover the plantain with nylon bag before spraying.

There are lots of better herbicides you can use (can't remember names at the moment)
Force up is also good but necessary care must be taken not to touch the leaves of the small plantain.

Never Use Gramozone; it turns green farms to yellow colour.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:11am On Dec 25, 2014
stint:
See the pics above. Many look like they really need water. I hope they survive the dry season. I use 2.5 metres spacing. Is it too much? We had to leave some places we couldnt clear cause of seeuous chukuchuk. Tell me what u think.
i have seen the pictures, some of them will survive.
2.5m spacing is good.
some will still be replanted by february.
How near is the nearest water source from the farm?
Some workers can help you slash the chukuchuk for effectiveness of the herbicides.
There is still hope for your plantain farm,
when rain comes,there is need to act fast.
it will still be profitable.

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 11:20am On Dec 25, 2014
I want to.use this moment to thank the people that added me as their follower on this platform,

I promise that i will bring you the latest and the best information,latest technology and techniques in the world of agriculture and together we can make agric business more profitable and create enormous wealth.

Merry christmas and Happy new year in.advance.

Delatoriaa(f):
koolsammie(m)
niyiduke01(m)
zemaye:
judx(m),
johncuppa(m),
geezzzyy(m),
loneytunes(m),
miccheck58:
Emmaloh,
Nafizzey(m),
Adesiji77,
victoryerons(m),
DrTeeee(m):
bluehorizo(m):
phayee(m)
Abbey1987:
karadjorje
walata2011(m):
ogaAK(m)
Haishophem(m):
Kingslaw(m):
Terrie23:
josPlateau(m)
5p1naz(m):
shdemidemi(m):
Samlo88:
sampark201:
iamord(m):
nolongtin(m):
harbibi:
ejiboy1(m)
waka2:
baldeagle
ghettodreamz(m):
aog
coccinella1888:
PapiDShipCapt(m):
LagosBoi2(m):
Bhurlagy(m):
Geometrix(m):
lookooman(m):
tope777(m):
lanre2009:
MarvelJ
waxingmoon:
miniziter:
lawsbanks
TAJIBADE:
pdf90:
CyreB:
Bobbyjay001(m):
bennyzer(m):
ADEBOSUN(m):
bamzz:
Ghost01(m):
Breeze5000
myads890(m):
Mettal(m):
toluleke(m)

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 2:35pm On Dec 25, 2014
Merry christmas to all the contributors on this thread and on the agric section.
Lets make 2015 a great and more informative.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by stint(m): 3:33pm On Dec 25, 2014
Lesgupnigeria:

i have seen the pictures, some of them will survive.
2.5m spacing is good.
some will still be replanted by february.
How near is the nearest water source from the farm?
Some workers can help you slash the chukuchuk for effectiveness of the herbicides.
There is still hope for your plantain farm,
when rain comes,there is need to act fast.
it will still be profitable.
Thanks the advise. Ill try to weed before Januuary. I ll show more pictures then. When the rain starts im february. What can i plant to make good use of my land. I may not be able to afford plantain but am working on a loan sha. We have cut the root of the chukuchuku, we expect it to dry up. Cutting it give the workers injury. And it takes a lot of time. But by next year i plan to use my land fully and then expand. Am thinking of planting oil palm for the long term and cucumber or pepper for short term.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:29pm On Dec 25, 2014

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (68) (Reply)

My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) / 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.