Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,469 members, 7,808,686 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:22 PM

How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) - Agriculture (59) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) (168699 Views)

World's Largest Pig Farm In Kano / Mangu-Bokkos-Plateau: The Largest Mechanized Farm In Nigeria / How To Start And Grow A Profitable Plantain Flour Business In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (68) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:06am On Mar 22, 2022
Due to prevailing economic situation in the world right now, logistics challenges,increase in prices of input prices,increase in transportation costs are some of the things that will have direct impact on farmers and agro-preneurs

Prices of ploughing with a tractor is already on the high side; from N8,000 to between N12,000-N15,000 depending on location due to increase in price of diesel

Even before Russia-ukraine war started,we have seen increase of inputs such as fertilizers,herbicides etc go up.
As the two heavyweight in potash production (the raw materials for fertilizer production) continue their war,we will see low supply of fertiliser which will ultimately affect yield (low production)

A bag of fertilizer around August 2021 was around N10,500 - N11,500
Early this year,it skyrocketed to N15,000 and I am predicting,we might have upward movement in price.

So as a farmer who heavily depend on some of this inputs,how do you save money without compromising on yield?

The basic answer is finding alternative that can be locally sourced and used here.

On cultivation with machineries,kò sí à bù jà lóró òpe (there is no shortcut in climbing palm tree); you have no choice on this one,but you can add the cost on the cost of your produce when selling.

Instead of using fertiliser,you can substitute with innoculant or organic manure.
Mixing with the soil during ploughing or harrowing is the best way to it

Pesticides can also be substituted with neem.
Fortunately,we have plenty of those neem around us here and are very less expensive with access to the raw materials.

You can also buy these inputs in bulk now and store before price doubles again during the planting season.

Generally this year,prices of food is expected to go up
If you can successfully substitute some of these critical inputs without compromising on the yield,then you should have a good outing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:41am On Mar 24, 2022
#doagricitpays
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:21am On Mar 26, 2022
Plantain is one of the farm business you should venture into
Itpays
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:25am On Apr 04, 2022
Dear farmers,
This is another monday in the 2nd quarters of 2022,it's another opportunity to push toward our goal of food-securing our nation.
The sustainability of over 200 million people lies in our hands.
Continue to improve on your operational processes to be able to scale and produce more.
Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown.
The whole nation looks up to you
The food crisis is upon us
It's time to till and work
Don't forget to manage the risk associated with your work and at the end of your activities when your efforts start yielding fruits,don't hesitate to take time out to rest and refresh.
This is my today motivation talk
Thank you

2 Likes

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:43am On Apr 05, 2022
Someone posted in the comment section about recent writeups encouraging food hoarding and I think I need to address that this morning

There is a great difference between hoarding food primarily to cause artificial food scarcity to make huge profit and providing storage facilities to extend the lifespan or to add value to it for better revenue.
Imagine having spent lot of money on cultivation of maybe tomatoes ,or any other perishable produce and lost it all to lack of storage or processing facilities or was taken advantage of by the value chain vultures (a.k.a the middlemen/women); paying far lesser amount than the market price.
Would it not be wise to provide these facilities in order protect yourself against those forces?

Afterall, regulatory marketing board that should fix a fair price for farmers' produce has been scrapped so it is now how you can add more value to your produce to get the best price

Don't let anyone guilt trip you

It is about getting the best reward for your efforts by reducing wastage on the farm and this can be done by providing facilities

Imagine a world where we have access to all of our food in fresh state all year round,this cannot be achieve if you don't have the enabling facilities.

Adding value to get the best price from your produce is the best way to go in the economic system we find ourselves

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:18am On Apr 06, 2022
How to avoid losing million of naira from farm theft

Your farm business will not work if you didnot have a secured environment to conduct your farm enterprise

Theft of farm produce,farm properties,machineries,issues with straying cattle rearers (Fulani herdsmen), are some of critical issues that can make or mar the success of your farm enterprise.

If you operate a small scale farm maybe between 1 -50 acres,then you should looking at fencing the land perimeter.

This will solve most of the security issues above

If you operate a medium scale farm,from between 50 and maybe 200,then maybe few security guards will solve some off the security challenges associated with farm business.

If you operate on a larger scale of 200 and above like we do then you should look into incorporating few things into your farm

First,Take care of the community/ies you conduct your venture

Provide social amenities like electricity,road access,water,schools etc if they are lacking.

You can save small percentage of your annual farm income to do this.

This is very important I cannot overemphasize it

Secondly,introduce whistleblowing policy

It's difficult to adequately secure cultivated farm size of 500 acres or more from theft.

In the community,everybody knows everybody.

Where you farm,what you cultivate,when you farm etc

You only have a yam farm and you are bringing in plantain to your house,then it means you are stealing

Whistleblowing policy allows members of the community to identify,and report cases of theft to you on the basis that their identity will be protected and they will be rewarded for that.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:42am On Apr 07, 2022
Plantain is one of the crop you can cultivate that can give you sustainable source of income for decades if we'll maintained.
It's one of the crop you should consider venturing into
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Nobody: 2:36pm On Apr 08, 2022
I totally agree......
Lesgupnigeria:
Plantain is one of the crop you can cultivate that can give you sustainable source of income for decades if we'll maintained.
It's one of the crop you should consider venturing into
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:56am On Apr 09, 2022
Oyus:
I totally agree......
Yeah
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:25am On Apr 10, 2022
#happysundaymypeople
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:02am On Apr 12, 2022
How to choose a perfect crop/s or livestock/s to cultivate

Many years ago when we first started farm business,I thought we could make money from any crops or livestock farming but I was very wrong.

Looking back now,I wish I know better what I know now.
And over the years,I have seen many new agro-investors and farmers make that same mistake and it's costing them much.

I was asked recently
"You are a farmer,you should get involved cultivating plantain,rice,corn,wheat, cassava,beans,poultry,piggery,cattle,sheep" etc
And that is the first mistake new entrant into agriculture make
You want to venture into everything

The secret to a successful farm enterprise is to be selective

I will explain how to choose rightly what to cultivate later in this post

That you have the knowledge or a fertile land in a place to support what you are about to cultivate doesnot mean that the enterprise will have great success.

One thing practical farmers can testify to is your paper calculation not matching your reality outcome

You might thought,

"If I plant 1000 plantain suckers on an acre,and at the end of the day,I sold a bunch at N1000,that's N1M"

With 100 acres of plantain,I have the potential of N100M as income

Yes,that maybe possible if all forseenable and unforseenable factors works together for your good but have you find out whether the land is okay to support commercial cultivation of plantain or you have acquire the requisite knowledge about it's cultivation or more importantly,there are no issue of monkeys,disease outbreaks or high rate of theft in the community/ies you are cultivating your farm.
Any of this issue that happen can bring the potential of your farm to zero naira.

Before you make decision on what to cultivate,you need to check all of the boxes
Fertile land ✔️
Knowledge ✔️
Disease outbreak prevention ✔️
Theft prevention ✔️ etc

I remember cultivating watermelon many years ago in a community around ogun state
The watermelon farm was as successful one until when it matured and it was used to serve breakfast; many members of the community passing by stopby to have a taste of the watermelon and some also very wasted because of late harvesting.

So,the type of crop/livestock you choose to cultivate should be one thats immune against theft in the location,even if you don't have enough time to attend to it,it will still do very well.

You do office work from Monday to Saturday,what are you doing with piggery,or fishery that requires your every hour presence
Why can't you look into the sheep,goat or cattle that might not need your everyday attention and still do very well with one or two hands.

That's why on any of our farm estates,we investigate and tick all of the boxes to determine what crops/livestocks we or new entrants who acquire piece of land on the estate engage in.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:25am On Apr 14, 2022
About 8 years ago,I wrote an article about how agriculture will revolutionalised the Nigeria economy and the various mind blowing opportunities Nigerians are not taking up.
He saw the post and immediately got in touch
"Boss
"Thanks for your post"
"I want to venture into agribusiness but don't have much"
"But i want to be bringing clients to you for commision"

That same year,he earned 6 figures in referrals which he use to buy an acre on one of our farm estates for cultivation

Recently,I was invited to see his new farm and was astonished about the hundreds of acres under massive cultivation
If you are waiting for resources to come you before you take advantage of the numerous money making opportunities,then you will have to wait forever
#agriculture

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:34am On Apr 25, 2022
Never give up on your dream!
Good morning
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Nezzjnr: 9:42am On Apr 25, 2022
Lesgupnigeria:
How to choose a perfect crop/s or livestock/s to cultivate

Many years ago when we first started farm business,I thought we could make money from any crops or livestock farming but I was very wrong.

Looking back now,I wish I know better what I know now.
And over the years,I have seen many new agro-investors and farmers make that same mistake and it's costing them much.

I was asked recently
"You are a farmer,you should get involved cultivating plantain,rice,corn,wheat, cassava,beans,poultry,piggery,cattle,sheep" etc
And that is the first mistake new entrant into agriculture make
You want to venture into everything

The secret to a successful farm enterprise is to be selective

I will explain how to choose rightly what to cultivate later in this post

That you have the knowledge or a fertile land in a place to support what you are about to cultivate doesnot mean that the enterprise will have great success.

One thing practical farmers can testify to is your paper calculation not matching your reality outcome

You might thought,

"If I plant 1000 plantain suckers on an acre,and at the end of the day,I sold a bunch at N1000,that's N1M"

With 100 acres of plantain,I have the potential of N100M as income

Yes,that maybe possible if all forseenable and unforseenable factors works together for your good but have you find out whether the land is okay to support commercial cultivation of plantain or you have acquire the requisite knowledge about it's cultivation or more importantly,there are no issue of monkeys,disease outbreaks or high rate of theft in the community/ies you are cultivating your farm.
Any of this issue that happen can bring the potential of your farm to zero naira.

Before you make decision on what to cultivate,you need to check all of the boxes
Fertile land ✔️
Knowledge ✔️
Disease outbreak prevention ✔️
Theft prevention ✔️ etc

I remember cultivating watermelon many years ago in a community around ogun state
The watermelon farm was as successful one until when it matured and it was used to serve breakfast; many members of the community passing by stopby to have a taste of the watermelon and some also very wasted because of late harvesting.

So,the type of crop/livestock you choose to cultivate should be one thats immune against theft in the location,even if you don't have enough time to attend to it,it will still do very well.

You do office work from Monday to Saturday,what are you doing with piggery,or fishery that requires your every hour presence
Why can't you look into the sheep,goat or cattle that might not need your everyday attention and still do very well with one or two hands.

That's why on any of our farm estates,we investigate and tick all of the boxes to determine what crops/livestocks we or new entrants who acquire piece of land on the estate engage in.
Is the 1m on an acre feasible??

Which market will be able to collect such amount of plantains??

I just want to know sir.

And what's the least a bunch of plantain can go for
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 12:45pm On Apr 27, 2022
Nezzjnr:

Is the 1m on an acre feasible??

Which market will be able to collect such amount of plantains??

I just want to know sir.

And what's the least a bunch of plantain can go for
I don't understand the question
Maybe you can restate it
Nevertheless,the least a bunch can go for is around N600
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Nezzjnr: 12:47pm On Apr 27, 2022
Lesgupnigeria:

I don't understand the question
Maybe you can restate it
Nevertheless,the least a bunch can go for is around N600
Can someone get 1m from an Acre as Profit
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 1:03pm On Apr 27, 2022
Nezzjnr:

Can someone get 1m from an Acre as Profit
No,it's not possible
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Nezzjnr: 3:03pm On Apr 27, 2022
Lesgupnigeria:

No,it's not possible
Ohhhhhh..

I see
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:15am On Apr 29, 2022
Nezzjnr:

Ohhhhhh..

I see
Yes
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Sorezo007(m): 8:08am On Apr 29, 2022
What number can i reach u on sir...been trying call ur number isn't connecting!
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:17pm On May 01, 2022
Sorezo007:
What number can i reach u on sir...been trying call ur number isn't connecting!
Send WhatsApp message to 09031147593
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:24am On May 02, 2022
The business of agriculture seems to be easy but it is not....thinking of giving up,don't yet,hold on a bit you are about to turn a corner.
Unlearn old methods,skills and techniques
,relearn new ways of doing things and apply it to your agricbusiness
Every Successful agribusiness also felt like given up one time or the other by they keep pushing.
There is light after the tunnel
Good morning
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:02am On May 05, 2022
Get practical.knowledge if you want to succeed in the business of agriculture
Join the link though the first thread to register for our agricbusiness class
#agriculture#knowledge

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:06am On May 11, 2022
Agricpays
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Sicozone(m): 4:17pm On May 12, 2022
Lesgupnigeria:
Agricpays

Where are you located Sir?
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:48pm On May 15, 2022
Sicozone:

Where are you located Sir?
Ijebu-igbo,Ogun state
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:19am On May 16, 2022
In the early days of starting out as a farmer, I bought a farmland size of about 250acres with the plan of cultivating about 50 acres for plantain and the remaining for livestock farming.

Unfortunately,it did not go as planned due to factors beyond my control; have to abandoned the land and find another location to

Two years after I purchased it,I discovered many local farmers around start approaching me for land to cultivate.

I thought "instead of allowing the land lie fallow,why can't I lease it out and start generating some money"

That was how I started leasing land for 7k per acre per annum turning some few 7 figures annually

Over the years,I have seen many abandoned farmland wasting away in the rural area, who has owners and should be generating revenue.

This is for our brothers and sisters in the diaspora who buy large acreage and leave it for years.

Even if you don't have the time,or the needed resources for cultivation yet,you can acquire farmland and lease it either to the local farmers or to someone else.

According to estimate,we have about 2 million local farmers looking for land to cultivate their usual 2-3 or 5 acres farm size every season
#agriculture

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:24am On May 18, 2022
One of the things that can make farming difficult for you is acquiring farmland not accessible.

In 2012,we hauled about 10 tons of maize � from a farm down to the buyer.

The road from the farm leading to the main road was poor to the extent that the truck got damaged about 3 times.

The journey of a normal 15mins turned to 2 hours.

The cost we incurred due to poor accesibility was even close to the amount we were to sell the maize.

Like I always say,distance should not be the decision on where to acquire your farmland.

Afterall,what you eat this morning or what you will consume this evening is likely to be from the North especially if you are based in southern or eastern part of the country.

Farm accesibility is everything

Is it accessible?

Can you take your car/truck to the farm with no issues?

Can you transport your produce from the farm easily down to the buyer with no issues?

Fortunately,for those who are yet to make decision on acquiring farmland,our farm estates in ogbomoso, Ilorin,apomu, ijebu-igbo are the right plug for you to acquire your farm; it's very accessible

So in your decision on acquiring farmland,make accessibility one of your major decision process
#waleagro#agriculture

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:57am On May 21, 2022
Lease or outright purchase?

Let me quickly share this for those looking for land to cultivate long term crops such as plantain,oilpalm,cashew,coconut etc

Many years ago,I saw a very good farmland in ijebu-ode to cultivate plantain.
After few findings,I approached the landlord and strike a deal for long lease of 6 years with verbal agreement to re-lease the land for another 6 years after the expiration of the first one.

We started clearing and cultivation and we got a good harvest and yield in the first year and the second year
By the third year,I got a call from my landlord that he has a buyer who is ready to buy outrightly
I was like "but my lease has not expired"

"Don't worry,I will pay you back the fee for the remaining years"

I thought "so all of my established plantain will be gone"
I was not only surprised,I was totally shocked
We scrambled to relocate the plantain stands but it was too late.
Even long farmland lease don't work in our clime here.

If you are looking at leasing,then maybe you are cultivating short term crops such as corn, groundnuts,cucumber, soybeans etc

Outright purchase gives you peace of mind and you are able to take absolute decisions on whatever you want to cultivate on your land.

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:00am On May 24, 2022
#doplantain
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:40am On May 30, 2022
After 5 years of consistent cultivation on all of our farm estates,we narrow down to few short term crops we decided to be cultivating every year these crops as a farm business

You should also consider them due to their market price stability and ease of storage
First,

Groundnut farming

Current price of 100kg of groundnut is N66k,last year it flunctuates around N55k per bag
Your target yield should be at least 500kg per acre if all things work well
We are also looking at cultivating Groundnut on our farm estate this season and we are really prepare for the post-harvest work because that's where the heavyweight of the work is.

Second one is Soybeans farming

Any day,anytime you will catch us with soybeans because it's one of our favorite.
A bag flunctuates between N30k-N37k per bag this year.
If you have at least 500kg yield on an acre,then that should fetch you some few millions on tens of acres

Then third one is Cowpea production
Cowpea is also a good crop to cultivate.
The price flunctuates between N50k -N55k per bag last year and likely to increase this year.
If you are looking at any of this crop,make sure you are well prepared for the post-harvest work.
I guess this is why the price is always on the high side come rain come shine.

Want to acquire suitable farmland for any of these three crops on any of our farm estates or you want to learn how to setup,manage from harvest to sales,we have got you covered.
Just a DM away

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 11:06am On Jun 03, 2022
#plantain

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (68) (Reply)

My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) / 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.