Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,640 members, 7,801,861 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:37 AM

Born In UK But Living In Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Born In UK But Living In Nigeria (19471 Views)

I Want To Travel To Uk But I Don't Know About Travellin Stuff / For Those With Children Born In The European Union / Over 1 Million Nigerians Live In The Uk, But Are They Useful To Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by richietayo: 10:30am On Dec 21, 2014
Hello Everyone,

Kindly assist with information about Nigerian born in the UK but brought back before the 1983 rule.

Thanks...........
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by 2CatWoman: 11:03am On Dec 21, 2014
What do you want to know?
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by Lexusgs430: 2:53pm On Dec 21, 2014
Do you want to return to the UK? What old and present documents, do you have to prove your identity?
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by worry359(m): 3:30pm On Dec 21, 2014
Were either of your parents born in the UK?
Was either of them a permanant resident with papers?
Do you have a British birth certificate?
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by richietayo: 3:04pm On Dec 22, 2014
2CatWoman:
What do you want to know?
I wanna knw my chance of returning back to the UK. i have my birth cert, buh just d small one tho
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by richietayo: 3:06pm On Dec 22, 2014
Lexusgs430:
Do you want to return to the UK? What old and present documents, do you have to prove your identity?

i have just my birth cert......just the small one tho......plus i wanna apply for a UK visiting visa n i av UK as my place of birth on my nigerian passport..... Pls would that be an issue?
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by richietayo: 3:07pm On Dec 22, 2014
worry359:
Were either of your parents born in the UK?
Was either of them a permanant resident with papers?
Do you have a British birth certificate?

i av just the small size birth certificate n both my parent are Nigerians.......
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by 2CatWoman: 3:26pm On Dec 22, 2014
if you were born in the UK before 1st Jan 1983 and your dad wasn't a diplomat then technically you have a right to British citizenship.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/258086/chapter2.pdf

You will need your full birth certificate showing your parants details, will show the address they were living at when your birth was registered and other supporting evidence.

Were either of your parents students for instance?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by justwise(m): 3:28pm On Dec 22, 2014
richietayo:

i have just my birth cert......just the small one tho......plus i wanna apply for a UK visiting visa n i av UK as my place of birth on my nigerian passport..... Pls would that be an issue?

You will not be given visiting visa, apply for British passport as you are qualified for one.

1 Like

Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by richietayo: 3:32pm On Dec 22, 2014
justwise:
[/b]

You will not be given visiting visa, apply for British passport as you are qualified for one.

How.....? so i cant get a visiting visa
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by richietayo: 3:44pm On Dec 22, 2014
2CatWoman:
if you were born in the UK before 1st Jan 1983 and your dad wasn't a diplomat then technically you have a right to British citizenship.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/258086/chapter2.pdf

You will need your full birth certificate showing your parants details, will show the address they were living at when your birth was registered and other supporting evidence.

Were either of your parents students for instance?

D problem here is.....i dont av any of dos,.....all i have is the small birth cert. for example"..... kindly see attached.

Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by justwise(m): 3:52pm On Dec 22, 2014
richietayo:

How.....? so i cant get a visiting visa

You are technically a British citizen so you don't need a visa to visit the UK

2 Likes

Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by justwise(m): 3:54pm On Dec 22, 2014
Please don't post your birthday certificate here, anything is criminally possible

2 Likes

Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by justwise(m): 3:58pm On Dec 22, 2014
From what i saw in your birth certificate you were born 1998 and not before 1983 as you claimed.

1 Like

Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by richietayo: 4:00pm On Dec 22, 2014
dats is not my birth cert oo.......dat was just a google search....just used dat as example oooo.........

3 Likes

Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by richietayo: 4:01pm On Dec 22, 2014
Please i am very open to all ur suggestion, information and contributions........thanks
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by 2CatWoman: 4:09pm On Dec 22, 2014
OP, if you already have a Nigerian passport stating your place of birth and a birth certificate then you can just go ahead and apply for a uk passport online. You can do this yourself without paying any intermediary.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-passport

Read through and follow the instructions and if all goes well you should collect your passport in about 14 weeks.

1 Like

Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by richietayo: 4:26pm On Dec 22, 2014
hmmmmmmmmm.................
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by richietayo: 5:00pm On Dec 22, 2014
2CatWoman:
OP, if you already have a Nigerian passport stating your place of birth and a birth certificate then you can just go ahead and apply for a uk passport online. You can do this yourself without paying any intermediary.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-passport

Read through and follow the instructions and if all goes well you should collect your passport in about 14 weeks.

dont have the requirement they stated on the site..............any oda option?
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by Lexusgs430: 5:21pm On Dec 22, 2014
richietayo:

Do you have baby pictures, list of nurseries or schools attended, certificates from schools (all UK documentations)?
Details and certificates of your parents stay in the UK ?
If you don't, it's going to be more complicated than you think.
No point applying for a UK visa, if you are genuinely a British Subject.
Go and do some digging, and get as much documents as possible of your life, while in the UK.
NB: Hopefully, no one has impersonated in the UK and collected a British passport with your details !!! (If they have, this case just got very very very complicated).

1 Like

Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by 2CatWoman: 5:40pm On Dec 22, 2014
Lexusgs430:

Do you have baby pictures, list of nurseries or schools attended, certificates from schools (all UK documentations)?
Details and certificates of your parents stay in the UK ?
If you don't, it's going to be more complicated than you think.
No point applying for a UK visa, if you are genuinely a British Subject.
Go and do some digging, and get as much documents as possible of your life, while in the UK.
NB: Hopefully, no one has impersonated in the UK and collected a British passport with your details !!! (If they have, this case just got very very very complicated).

Agree with the bolded. There was the recent case of David Ogunmade, the guy even met prime minister Tony Blair whilst taking on the identity of a disabled man.

OP I went through the process using the link below which was where I got 14 weeks. You may need to liase with the British High commision in Nigeria.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by Lexusgs430: 5:42pm On Dec 22, 2014
2CatWoman:

Agree with the bolded. There was the recent case of David Ogunmade, the guy even met prime minister Tony Blair whilst taking on the identity of a disabled man.

OP I went through the process using the link below which was where I got 14 weeks. You may need to liase with the British High commision in Nigeria.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

I have known and dealt with cases of impersonation, and it takes years to resolve.
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by Lexusgs430: 5:47pm On Dec 22, 2014
richietayo:

dont have the requirement they stated on the site..............any oda option?

Did you return back to Nigeria on your own passport or endorsed on your parents passport ?
Did your parents ever apply for the black passport on your behalf, while in the UK?
Do you have or know your parents National Insurance number?
Etc etc etc (this are questions and documents, you need to be laying your hands on).
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by 2CatWoman: 5:50pm On Dec 22, 2014
OP,

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/342797/Supportingdocs3AUG2014.PDF

This PDF link shows all the info and documents you will need. I suggest you use a computer to review. Goodluck.
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by richietayo: 5:58pm On Dec 22, 2014
ok.... thanks @Lexusgs430.. wrili appreciate ur informations ...... but lets say i just want to visit UK....n am apply with my nigerian passport that says i was born in the UK.....would i be denied Visa ??
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by Lexusgs430: 6:04pm On Dec 22, 2014
richietayo:
ok.... thanks @Lexusgs430.. wrili appreciate ur informations ...... but lets say i just want to visit UK....n am apply with my nigerian passport that says i was born in the UK.....would i be denied Visa ??

Yes (Why would you be applying or contemplating applying for a visa, when you are entitled to a british passport)(subject to documents submissions and verification)?
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by zeezahbee(f): 7:14pm On Dec 22, 2014
Lexusgs430:

Yes (Why would you be applying or contemplating applying for a visa, when you are entitled to a british passport)(subject to documents submissions and verification)?
He won't even get the visa once the embassy sees UK as place of birth ,they will prefer him to get the British passport , getting a visiting visa is gonna be so hard ooo
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by Lexusgs430: 7:41pm On Dec 22, 2014
zeezahbee:
He won't even get the visa once the embassy sees UK as place of birth ,they will prefer him to get the British passport , getting a visiting visa is gonna be so hard ooo

Hence I answered Yes, to his visa application been rejected.
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by itstpia111: 7:48pm On Dec 22, 2014
Check the british website which handles visa issues and concerns.
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by optimusprime2(m): 9:31pm On Dec 22, 2014
richietayo:
I am still surprised you dont get it??
Go and apply for a British passport period...

1 Like

Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by 2CatWoman: 10:41pm On Dec 22, 2014
^^^

Abi o? Unless it looks like too much wahala.
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by Lexusgs430: 10:49pm On Dec 22, 2014
optimusprime2:

I am still surprised you dont get it??
Go and apply for a British passport period...

It's not that easy in his present situation, because it seems all he has got, is ONLY the short version of his birth certificate.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

41 Killed After Russian Plane Catches Fire (Photos,Video) / A Nairalander Visit To The Historic Cardiff Castle / DANA Airline Conveys Passengers From Lagos To Abuja Leaving Their Luggage Behind

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.