Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,180 members, 7,807,576 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:30 PM

Born In UK But Living In Nigeria - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Born In UK But Living In Nigeria (19494 Views)

I Want To Travel To Uk But I Don't Know About Travellin Stuff / For Those With Children Born In The European Union / Over 1 Million Nigerians Live In The Uk, But Are They Useful To Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by optimusprime2(m): 8:56am On Dec 23, 2014
Lexusgs430:

It's not that easy in his present situation, because it seems all he has got, is ONLY the short version of his birth certificate.
A buddie of mine was in the same situation, until he started digging for documents.
He was born 1981 in the UK and had just the birth certificate (which was just enough), it took a little while but he got British passport eventually.
Unless your mum did'nt give birth to you in a registered hospital, and you teleported from the UK to Nigeria, then one can say drop the issue.
Please go and do some intense digging ask your parents questions if necessary, hire a private investigator in the UK to dig up for you.
And just pray you have not been impersonated.
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by justwise(m): 9:09am On Dec 23, 2014
richietayo:

D problem here is.....i dont av any of dos,.....all i have is the small birth cert. for example"..... kindly see attached.

You can request for the full birth certificate if you want, it will only cost you less than £20 but its not really necessary because with the small one the British embassy will get all the info needed from the authority.
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by richietayo: 9:29am On Dec 23, 2014
Lexusgs430:

It's not that easy in his present situation, because it seems all he has got, is ONLY the short version of his birth certificate.
. Exactly my point .....all I av is the short version of my birth certificate......buh I'll give a short n apply...
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by claremont(m): 12:19pm On Dec 23, 2014
Check here -->> https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

Costs less than a tenner.
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by tpia0001: 3:11pm On Dec 23, 2014
there's a warning on the copy:

"This certificate is not evidence of the identity of the person presenting it".

check the bottom part.

so, i guess further verification will be needed.
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by 2CatWoman: 4:32pm On Dec 23, 2014
richietayo:
. Exactly my point .....all I av is the short version of my birth certificate......buh I'll give a short n apply...

But your current Nigerian passport says that you were born in the UK no? The birth certificate will have a serial number on it which can be used to trace the long form certificate. The DOB will at least tally with the data on the passport.

How old were you when you left the UK?

Is there more to your story? Is the name on the passport different to the one on the certificate?

1 Like

Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by richietayo: 6:38pm On Dec 23, 2014
I called Her majestrate office to make enquiries.......and its anoda story tell were tellin me o .........dey said either my mum or dad has to be british citizen for me to be entitled to a british passport o....... Pls hw true Ooo
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by 2CatWoman: 6:55pm On Dec 23, 2014
2CatWoman:

But your current Nigerian passport says that you were born in the UK no? The birth certificate will have a serial number on it which can be used to trace the long form certificate. The DOB will at least tally with the data on the passport.

How old were you when you left the UK?

Is there more to your story? Is the name on the passport different to the one on the certificate?
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by Lexusgs430: 9:37pm On Dec 23, 2014
richietayo:
I called Her majestrate office to make enquiries.......and its anoda story tell were tellin me o .........dey said either my mum or dad has to be british citizen for me to be entitled to a british passport o....... Pls hw true Ooo

That is the present rule on citizenship. In your case, the law @ the time of birth, automatically entitles you a citizenship right, due to the virtue of birth.
But unfortunately, you will have to prove your true identity.
Having only the short version of the birth certificate, is not enough (considering the fact that you are presently in Nigeria, and all the fraudulent applications that our people submit).
NB: People have advised your numerously, and you have stated you will apply regardless. So go and apply !!!
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by richietayo: 12:10pm On Dec 25, 2014
Yes boss
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by shaq32: 7:03am On Dec 26, 2014
i beg to differ on some pple saying if u apply u cant get a visiting visa. not true. i was born in the uk though my dad a diplomat. neva been a fan of the uk though my siblings live there. went for the first time since i was born in oct for 2wks. apply for the visiting visa. once u get into the uk u can get the long birth cert. i actually misplaced mine thus thats y i travelled there. wuz born before 1983. cost me 23pounds i think. paid for express waited 30mins and picked it up. once u get the long birth cert cos u cant apply with the short one u get ur passport. the birth cert is enuf for u to get ur passport. if in doubt go thru their website

1 Like

Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by justwise(m): 7:11am On Dec 26, 2014
shaq32:
i beg to differ on some pple saying if u apply u cant get a visiting visa. not true. i was born in the uk though my dad a diplomat. neva been a fan of the uk though my siblings live there. went for the first time since i was born in oct for 2wks. apply for the visiting visa. once u get into the uk u can get the long birth cert. i actually misplaced mine thus thats y i travelled there. wuz born before 1983. cost me 23pounds i think. paid for express waited 30mins and picked it up. once u get the long birth cert cos u cant apply with the short one u get ur passport. the birth cert is enuf for u to get ur passport. if in doubt go thru their website

You are completely missing the point.
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by shaq32: 1:06pm On Dec 26, 2014
@justwise: what is the point I am missing
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by justwise(m): 1:09pm On Dec 26, 2014
shaq32:
@justwise: what is the point I am missing

You were born in the UK during your daddy's diplomatic posting so the issue of citizenship is out of the picture.
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by shaq32: 10:39am On Dec 27, 2014
@ justwise: I never said in my posts I am looking for british citizenship so don't get me wrong. I was responding to the initial poster who wants to apply and I am informing him he can get a visiting visa and go to the uk and get a long certificate BC. He can decide to apply straight from the UK whch is a whole lot less stressful or come back to nigeria and apply here.
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by justwise(m): 10:48am On Dec 27, 2014
shaq32:
@ justwise: I never said in my posts I am looking for british citizenship so don't get me wrong. I was responding to the initial poster who wants to apply and I am informing him he can get a visiting visa and go to the uk and get a long certificate BC. He can decide to apply straight from the UK whch is a whole lot less stressful or come back to nigeria and apply here.

Bros you still don't get it, your case and his are not the same, you used yourself as an example because you were born in the UK just like the op and as a result you were able to apply for visiting visa and got it. My point is....because your daddy was on diplomatic posting then you are not entitled to apply for British citizenship...so you can get visiting visa but the op is technically a British citizen and its stated on his Nigerian passport...so he does not need a visa to visit the UK, what he needs is British passport.

5 Likes

Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by richietayo: 7:52am On Dec 29, 2014
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm undecided
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by drgbaks(f): 1:50pm On Dec 29, 2014
richietayo:

D problem here is.....i dont av any of dos,.....all i have is the small birth cert. for example"..... kindly see attached.

What if he were born after 1983 and his Nigerian passport states that he is born in the Uk? Can he still get a visiting visa? Or would that affect his chances? Thanks.
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by drgbaks(f): 1:52pm On Dec 29, 2014
2CatWoman:
if you were born in the UK before 1st Jan 1983 and your dad wasn't a diplomat then technically you have a right to British citizenship.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/258086/chapter2.pdf

You will need your full birth certificate showing your parants details, will show the address they were living at when your birth was registered and other supporting evidence.

Were either of your parents students for instance?

What if he were born after 1983 and his Nigerian passport states
that he is born in the Uk? Can he still get a visiting visa? Or
would that affect his chances? Thanks.
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by justwise(m): 4:17pm On Dec 29, 2014
drgbaks:

What if he were born after 1983 and his Nigerian passport states that he is born in the Uk? Can he still get a visiting visa? Or would that affect his chances? Thanks.

Yes he will get visiting visa if he meets the requirements
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by drgbaks(f): 11:11pm On Dec 29, 2014
justwise:

Yes he will get visiting visa if he meets the requirements

But can such a person become a British Citizen/ own a British passport having being born after 1983 and his/her parents not having right of stay as at the time of birth?

Thank you.
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by justwise(m): 11:13pm On Dec 29, 2014
drgbaks:

But can such a person become a British Citizen/ own a British passport having being born after 1983 and his/her parents not having right of stay as at the time of birth?

Thank you.

No,not possible.
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by 2CatWoman: 11:30pm On Dec 29, 2014
richietayo:
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm undecided

What's wrong?
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by drgbaks(f): 11:42pm On Dec 29, 2014
justwise:

No,not possible.

Thank you sir.

So are there no special privileges that can be enjoyed by the said person based on the place of the said person's birth being the UK?

No benefits at all?
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by justwise(m): 11:54pm On Dec 29, 2014
drgbaks:

Thank you sir.

So are there no special privileges that can be enjoyed by the said person based on the place of the said person's birth being the UK?

No benefits at all?

Never read or heard of any...since non of the parents are British citizen.
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by drgbaks(f): 1:01am On Dec 30, 2014
justwise:

Never read or heard of any...since non of the parents are British citizen.

Thank you sir.
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by Lexusgs430: 3:39am On Dec 30, 2014
drgbaks:

Thank you sir.

No benefits at all?

Part of the benefits if he was presently in the UK, UKBA would not be chasing him all over the place !!!

1 Like

Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by tpia1982: 6:16am On Dec 30, 2014
very few countries in the world actually confer citizenship at birth.

they are the exception, rather than the rule.

people are just lucky its relatively easy to travel to the US.

its also one of only two first world countries on the list. The second being Canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_soli
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by justwise(m): 7:43am On Dec 30, 2014
drgbaks:

Thank you sir.

How long did the person lived in the UK after birth?
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:18am On Dec 30, 2014
optimusprime2:

I am still surprised you dont get it??
Go and apply for a British passport period...

Even me sef ma patience is running thin.

For the last time OP

If you're telling the truth then you're a Brit. Focus on and get your Brit passport and stop shuffling about.
Re: Born In UK But Living In Nigeria by richietayo: 12:09pm On Dec 30, 2014

This is exactly wat i wantd to find out............none of my parent had stay @ d time of my birth........

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG Deports 3 Koreans, Bans Them From Nigeria For 10 Years / A Bus Plunged Into River Siyiabei, Kenya. 17 Passengers Dead (Photo) / Airfares Skyrocket Ahead Christmas, New Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.