Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,277 members, 7,807,933 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:03 PM

Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? (4448 Views)

Homeless Man Inspired Me To Go To Church Today (Photo) / See What Most Nigeria Do On Saturday Night Before Going To Church On Sunday / Happy Sunday: Is Having Sex As Couple Before Going To Church Godly Or Ungodly? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by Izzo(m): 6:52pm On Aug 13, 2006
I realized that some men do not like participating in the things that has to do with Church. On the other hand why do we have more percentage of women committed than compared to that of men. your opinions please!
Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:54pm On Aug 13, 2006
Oga, don't tell me u do not know,

any gathering of like and unlike minds in pursuance of the worlds oldest venture (God) can only mean two things,
1: The gathering is in need of the usual emotional rush "crusade fever" the promise of a good marriage, husband, prosperity, men just want to achieve and a lot feel time is wasted listening to a lively jock like pastor chris, when practical hustling or philantrophy is called for, men typically commune with God in thoughts, women need to show it.

2: intrinsic socializing -- because most men are hardly emotional outwardly, they can do with not going to church because it involves sitting in midst of people . women love that sort of thing,
Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by kiki(f): 12:06am On Aug 14, 2006
cos they think its a waste of time
Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:07am On Aug 14, 2006
count me out, i don't go to church, but i don't think its a waste of time, I am simply lazy about it, when you can watch all the churches on TV anyway
Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by exu(m): 2:57pm On Aug 14, 2006
Maybe they're just not religious.

Why should they have to?
Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by kiki(f): 10:10pm On Aug 14, 2006
lagerwhenindoubt:

count me out, i don't go to church, but i don't think its a waste of time, I am simply lazy about it, when you can watch all the churches on TV anyway

my dad says dat 2 and he thinks they take a lot of time to do everthing
Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by Izzo(m): 2:46am On Aug 16, 2006
If u talking about time wasting that has to do with most Nigerian churches in home and abroad. Also, I think it has to do with what they (pastor) r preaching about most time, they concentrate more on the offering. And also I don't think u have to be religious 2 go 2 church.
Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by m4malik(m): 5:24am On Aug 16, 2006
Psa. 68:11 - The Lord gives the word; the women who announce the news are a great host. cheesy
Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by exu(m): 12:00pm On Aug 16, 2006
And also I don't think u have to be religious 2 go 2 church.

Why would a non-religious person choose to regularly attend church?
Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by Izzo(m): 1:10pm On Aug 16, 2006
No, I didn't say it has 2 be on a regular basis but occasionally or once in a blue moon .
Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by exu(m): 5:30pm On Aug 16, 2006
I guess you expect Muslims and Jews to attend church 'once in a blue moon' as well.
Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by Izzo(m): 8:38pm On Aug 16, 2006
exu:

I guess you expect Muslims and Jews to attend church 'once in a blue moon' as well.

Who is talking 'bout Muslims and Jews goin' 2 church once in a blue moon. Anyways If they want 2 go 2 church thats their own "cup of tea".
Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by Cristally(f): 9:14am On Aug 17, 2006
U will hate me now, but I don´t care

Men don´t like to run to church all the time coz its not easy for them to fall in love with
the Pastor and don´t fall down (in multiple orgasms) while this Pastor is touching their
cheak when he is giving them absolutism from their sins,

(hate is a sin, don´t forget) wink
Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by GL(f): 4:19am On Aug 18, 2006
many ppl start going to church when they have problems. men don't like announcing their problems. men would rather search inwards first, then go to friends b4 going to strangers (d church) for help. women usually go to where they think they can get help immediately. then they drag their husbands along.
Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by Kinsh(f): 2:53pm On Mar 22, 2007
[b]Ask HIM why he doesn’t go to church, and he’ll offer up words like boring, irrelevant, and hypocrite. But the real reason he doesn’t go to church is that he’s already practicing another religion. That religion is masculinity.

The ideology of masculinity has replaced Christianity as the true religion of men.
We live in a society with a FEMALE RELIGION and a MALE RELIGION: Christianity, of various sorts, for Women and Non-masculine men; AND masculinity . . . for MEN

Am referring to a MAN (HE) that DOES NOT go to church and not all MEN

HE practices his religion with a single-mindedness the Pharisees would definitely envy. His work, his hobbies, his entertainment, his follies, his addictions, everything he does is designed to prove to the world he is a MAN.
His religion (masculinity) also demands that HE avoid anything that might call his manhood into question. This includes church, because HE believes deep in his heart that church is something for women and children, not men.

Men have believed this for centuries. In the 1800s, Charles Spurgeon said, “There has got abroad a notion, somehow, that if you become a Christian you must sink your manliness and turn milksop.” HE sees Christianity as incongruous with his manhood. It’s a women’s thing.

Visit the church during the week, and you’ll find most of the people working there are female. Drop in on a committee meeting, and you’ll find a majority of the volunteers are women—unless it’s that small bastion of male presence, the building committee  cheesy cheesy

Look over the leadership roster: the pastor is likely to be a man, but at least two-thirds of the ministry leaders will be women. Examine the sign-up sheets for volunteer work, prayer, Sunday school, and nursery duty. You’ll be lucky to see more than a couple of men’s names on these lists.

One pastor recently told me, “If it weren’t for the postman, every visitor to the church during the week would be a woman.”  shocked shocked[/b]
Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by Kinsh(f): 2:55pm On Mar 22, 2007
[b]Although males have not completely abandoned the church. Tough, earthy, working guys rarely come to church. High achievers, alpha males, risk takers, and visionaries are in short supply. Fun-lovers and adventurers are also underrepresented in church. These rough-and-tumble men don’t fit in with the quiet, introspective gentlemen who populate the church today. The truth is, most men in the pews "grew up in church". There are also millions of men who attend services under duress, dragged by a mother, wife, or girlfriend. Today’s churchgoing man is humble, tidy, dutiful, and above all, nice.

What a contrast to the men of the Bible! Think of Moses and Elijah, David and Daniel, Peter and Paul. They were lions, not lambs—takecharge men who risked everything in service to God. They fought valiantly and spilled blood. They spoke their minds and stepped on the toes of religious people. They were true leaders, tough guys who were feared and respected by the community. All of these men had two things in common: they had an intense commitment to God, and they weren’t what you’d call saintly.

Lets Just keep Praying for the MEN cry cry cry

[/b]
Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by lafile(m): 4:19pm On Mar 22, 2007
So the men that DO go to church regularly, why do they go to church?
Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by Nella(f): 6:49pm On Mar 22, 2007
nah, some of em go, some r just 2 lazy,
some prefere staying @home, surfing d Net n watching movies,
it's not lyk they don't lyk going!! (Some)

Well, men who hate going 2 church probably don't belive in God,
Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by JohnFOM(m): 9:05am On Jul 11, 2007
I think lager is on the right track.

I can only speak for western churches, because that is what I have studied (US, UK and western Europe) and experienced (in Australia and in Scotland) but here's what I believe to be, generally:

At some point in the history of most churches, the men of the community lost control of thier own time (work for an employer, being soldiers in a war, etc). The women of the community still had control of thier time to a larger extent (not getting down on women here or downplaying the importance of the roles they fulfil).

So,having greater control of thier time, women did a lot of the necessary 'work' of the church, and over time ministries were set up/adapted to reflect thier needs and what is most enjoyable or comfortable for them. The church was effectively feminised, given a woman's touch, to the point that many men no longer feel comfortable, sometimes to the point of feeling unwelcome.

This is in no way suggesting that women are bad. It becomes a vicious circle: the church is feminized, thereby becoming more attractive to women, attracts more women, and thereby becomes more feminised.

The forms of worship, I believe show the point most clearly. Take alook at the old hymns. Many are adapted sea shanties, pub songs, war marches and the likes. Contrast this with the newer songs, like hillsong (just an example). Many of these are adapted popular style love songs, not appealing to your average male.

This is only an example mind you. The (western) church today has a very feminine feel about it in most ministries.

You want more men to go to church? Find out how they would set up a church, what they would do, and add that to what is already there. Find out what christian men do when they are NOT at church, with other men, and try incorporating some form of that in the church.

For my own part, I'm a church goer, and leader. I go to get support for the ministry God has given me, and one of those ministries is to get men (and women) back into community with each other around thier common God.
Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by Caradona(f): 9:24am On Jul 11, 2007
I knew the man was looking for an easy sex when he said to me "Virginity is a state of mind"
I now avoid church that is headed by a young pastor unless the pastor is a Bald old fart

Now back @ TOPIC
It is because is the only place they are asked to part with their money voluntary tongue
plus the place is full of old Desperate mamas looking for Husbands grin
Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by zubbiedan(m): 9:32am On Jul 11, 2007
cos after commiting on saturday nite,there is no reason to deceive one's self by go to church while hnowing fully well that the prayers wont be answered
Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by zignor(m): 9:41am On Jul 11, 2007
@cristally
You will hate me now, but I don´t care

Men don´t like to run to church all the time because its not easy for them to fall in love with
the Pastor and don´t fall down (in multiple orgasms) while this Pastor is touching their
cheak when he is giving them absolutism from their sins,

(hate is a sin, don´t forget)

Absolutely true, you are talking from experience. grin
Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by koko777(m): 2:52pm On Jul 11, 2007
smiley perhaps, it's laziness cos i do believe many of the men in this category do call on Jesus whenever they are in distress. They need to be encouraged cos it's good to serve the lord.  Reading the thread i noticed some sentiments concerning going to church, leave that to God to judge, lets focus on our spiritual purity while in church. May the lord deliver the weak hearted. it's very rewarding going to church!
Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by bodsibobo(m): 4:41pm On Jul 11, 2007
i love going to church.
Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by adechuks(m): 5:06pm On Jul 11, 2007
www.daystarng.tv

Great Church.
Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by pilgrim1(f): 5:14pm On Jul 11, 2007
Kinsh:

Ask HIM why he doesn’t go to church, and he’ll offer up words like boring, irrelevant, and hypocrite. But the real reason he doesn’t go to church is that he’s already practicing another religion. That religion is masculinity.

The ideology of masculinity has replaced Christianity as the true religion of men.
We live in a society with a FEMALE RELIGION and a MALE RELIGION: Christianity, of various sorts, for Women and Non-masculine men; AND masculinity . . . for MEN

Has it really got to that level?
Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by kulaShaker(f): 5:18pm On Jul 11, 2007
i think it is because some men do not like being preached at. some hate the idea of some bloke who knows nothing about them wagging a finger at their direction presuming to know more about them than themselves undecided
Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by mekaboy(m): 7:29pm On Jul 11, 2007
Well i believe that these are some reasons why men dont go to church often.

1, PRIDE:
it is believed that GOD is masculine and has the nature of a man. So men have difficulty having an intemate relationship with thier fellow man. and the find it hand to humble thmeselves before a man. So they take GOD to be a man.

2, GUILT,
alot of men have be over taken by thier fleshly desires and they fill dirty and disqualified to be in church. because the ( THE WORD OF GOD IS A SWORD AND IT CUTS DEEP DOWN INTO THE SOUL ). Men see their unclothedness in church when the (REAL WORD ) is preached.

3, FEAR.
men dont want to come b4 GOD in church because they dont want trouble with GOD. they know that kind of life they live and things they do during the week so they feel its an insult for them to come before GOD.

4, SELFISHNESS.
they believe the church is after their money. they dont want to give to the pastor because they believe the offering is for the pastor.

5, LAZINESS. most men are lazy to go to church and some hate to socialize.

6, THE GOD OF SOCCER.
most men use the sundays to worship thier other god which is the god of soccer, either playing or watching.

there are countless reason but these few will do.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by seun001(m): 7:42pm On Jul 11, 2007
Kinsh:

[b]Ask HIM why he doesn’t go to church, and he’ll offer up words like boring, irrelevant, and hypocrite. But the real reason he doesn’t go to church is that he’s already practicing another religion. That religion is masculinity.

Am referring to a MAN (HE) that DOES NOT go to church and not all MEN

HE practices his religion with a single-mindedness the Pharisees would definitely envy. His work, his hobbies, his entertainment, his follies, his addictions, everything he does is designed to prove to the world he is a MAN.
His religion (masculinity) also demands that HE avoid anything that might call his manhood into question. This includes church, because HE believes deep in his heart that church is something for women and children, not men.

Men have believed this for centuries. In the 1800s, Charles Spurgeon said, “There has got abroad a notion, somehow, that if you become a Christian you must sink your manliness and turn milksop.” HE sees Christianity as incongruous with his manhood. It’s a women’s thing.

Visit the church during the week, and you’ll find most of the people working there are female. Drop in on a committee meeting, and you’ll find a majority of the volunteers are women—unless it’s that small bastion of male presence, the building committee cheesy cheesy

Look over the leadership roster: the pastor is likely to be a man, but at least two-thirds of the ministry leaders will be women. Examine the sign-up sheets for volunteer work, prayer, Sunday school, and nursery duty. You’ll be lucky to see more than a couple of men’s names on these lists.

One pastor recently told me, “If it weren’t for the postman, every visitor to the church during the week would be a woman.” shocked shocked[/b]

where do u get all this ideas from.haba.

well,hypocrisy,and pastors in nigeria can hardly resist playing on ur emotions.what with everybody looking for miracles.i do go to church but not regularly.
Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by Forfavour(m): 2:24am On Jul 12, 2007
Depends on individual & understanding of church. It has nothing to do with masculine or femiline.

We are called not forsake the gathering of one another. You hardly find people complaing spending 12hr/day 6days/week 52weeks/yr @ work jumping from pillars to poles BUT when it's come to church (2 hrs/sun) they let loose all the excuses of the world: the pastor talk too
much about money, much about holiness, it's boring, it's this & that. Going to church is the best place for anybody (believe it or not)

If only we can dedicate 1/10th of our working time seeking & serving God. No matter the level of success/achievement we attain, the place of God in our life cannot be substituted.
Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by fstranger: 6:34am On Jul 12, 2007
because only irrational people go to church and it is factthat men are more rational than females.why would an african (male or female) go to church in the first place. Any african ( male or female) that calls himself a Christian is either delusional or just stupid.
Re: Why Do Some Men Hate Going To Church? by lukkie(m): 9:21am On Jul 12, 2007
fstranger:

because only irrational people go to church and it is factthat men are more rational than females.why would an african (male or female) go to church in the first place. Any african ( male or female) that calls himself a Christian is either delusional or just stupid.

well said!

we africans have our way and styles of doing things but we have allowed the white man to colonize us with their religions. religion is by the way one of the biggest cause of problems in the world. what a pity! and they all promise so much of peace.
more women go to church because women are more about feelings/emotions (which is what religion is all about) while men tend towards more practical things. women are also easier to deceive which frankly is what a lot of the so-called pastors do.
i beleive if u have a conscience and follow it sincerely, then God has enough reasons to be happy with you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Comedian Heather Macdonald Collapsed After Mocking Using The Name Of Christ / Tb Joshua's Evil Doings Finally Revealed / Explaining Bible Contradiction.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.