Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,455 members, 7,808,622 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:24 PM

What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger (8906 Views)

POEM: We Are Stronger! / We Are Stronger! / Keeping A Stronger Circle Of Friends (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by bigwig97(m): 11:02am On Dec 24, 2014
DEDICATION.
this is dedicated to God for making it possible for me to write this story, as my first write-up..
I also dedicate this story to my reader who, by god's grace would encourage me with their comments, criticism and all... thanks
Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by bigwig97(m): 11:32am On Dec 24, 2014
"Buy bread,buy groundnut,buy 'kokoro',buy pure water" Debo shouted.
Debo was an orphan, although he was young, he was very hardworking. He sold 'eatables' at a garage in Ogun state. His parents died in a motor accident when they were on their way to visit their son, Debo, in his school hostel. On that very day, Debo was expecting his parents eagerly until his housemaster broke the news that his parents were involved in an accident which occured about 8m away from his hostel.
Debo was sick for a month after hearing this news. He knew he had nobody to take care of him after his parents' death because his relatives were greedy and would take over all his parents' properties leaving nothing for the 10-year old Debo. Debo's fear were confirmed few months later when he was sent out of school for not being able to pay his school fee. He had no where to go, so, he decided to start living in a garage,not far from his school, where he begged for money. After 2 months, he was able to realise #3000 from his 'begging' business. He stopped begging and started a new business of selling bread, groundnut, 'kokoro', plantain chips and pure water...
*tbc..*

_____
drop ur comment pls

1 Like

Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by kingphilip(m): 12:38pm On Dec 24, 2014
I'm here
BTW this update is short hope it's not here we r going to continue
Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by Onemansquad(m): 12:39pm On Dec 24, 2014
*space booked*
bro ride on #following
Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by bigwig97(m): 3:15pm On Dec 24, 2014
kingphilip:
I'm here
BTW this update is short hope it's not here we r going to continue
thanks 4 showin up....next updates wuld b longer..
Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by bigwig97(m): 3:15pm On Dec 24, 2014
Onemansquad:
*space booked*
bro ride on #following
i sight u bro
Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by bigwig97(m): 3:16pm On Dec 24, 2014
next update cums up b4 six p.m.
Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by toykathy(f): 5:00pm On Dec 24, 2014
ok, I will follow ur story provided u bring out zobo and chips for d goons.
*zyzxx, come n read.*

1 Like

Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by bigwig97(m): 7:19pm On Dec 24, 2014
toykathy:
*zyzxx, come n read.*
dnt worry, i've sent ma boy to get it 4 u
Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by bigwig97(m): 7:37pm On Dec 24, 2014
*Continuation*
Ade managed to sit up after struggling for a while. His figure on the bed was pity inspiring. He was as thin as a rake. His eyes had begun a retreat into their sockets. His chins were sunken. His ribs could easily be counted by anyone who so desired. He was in a big room with a small window from which came rays of light. His bed was in one corner of the room and a mat was spread on the floor. A few clothes were hung on nails in the wall. Ade coughed and it racked the whole of his body. His wife, Banke, who was with him put her right hand on her husband's chest to cushion the effect of the coughing on him. After the rounds of coughing. Banke gave her husband of over ten years a piece of rag into which he spat the blood-stained sputum. Ade was very ill.
Ade's illness was not without a cause. It stemmed from one of the people of Abani village that it was impossible for any man to be really complete without drinking alcohol. This tradition was passed down from one generation to another. Banke gave her husband an herb that was suppose to cure the illness. After 15 minutes of coughing, Ade was able to calm down and he slept soundly..
Very early the next morning before Ade and his son woke up, Banke visited her brother-in-law to tell him about d latest development. Segun, Ade's brother, was shocked on hearing this news and he decided to visit his brother immediately..
Segun asked banke to return home that he would join her at home after his family morning devotion...
Immediately Banke rushed home to prepare breakfast for her family, just as a dutiful wife she was.
*TBC*
Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by zyzxx(m): 9:28pm On Dec 24, 2014
toykathy:
*zyzxx, come n read.*
my e- angel, i'm here beside , Don't worry, let me get d pop corn and zobo,
Anythin more,

Thanks for d invitation grin
Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by bigwig97(m): 9:40pm On Dec 24, 2014
please let d comments keep rolling in to encourage me as a first time writer
Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by toykathy(f): 10:53pm On Dec 24, 2014
zyzxx:
my e- angel, i'm here beside , Don't worry, let me get d pop corn and zobo,
Anythin more,

Thanks for d invitation grin
give me d pop corn jare and dnt forget to buy chilled fanta too.

1 Like

Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by mariamferanmi(f): 10:54pm On Dec 24, 2014
Keep it coming bro!!
Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by toykathy(f): 10:59pm On Dec 24, 2014
bigwig97:
dnt worry, i've sent ma boy to get it 4 u

ok na, make we dey roll.
Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by zyzxx(m): 11:16pm On Dec 24, 2014
toykathy:

give me d pop corn jare and dnt forget to buy chilled fanta too.
nothing do you ma'am
merry xmas
Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by bigwig97(m): 10:02am On Dec 25, 2014
-Continuation-
Six weeks after Debo started his new business, his income doubled. He was now able to go back to school, a public school though. Since he was go primary 6 in his formal school, he decided to resume the next session in jss 1.
The next session is to start in 3 months time, thus, he has 3 months more to labour. He re-invested his money hoping that it would be doubled again.
All was well with him until a day when a conductor bought bread and groundnuts from him. The conductor sat down to eat the 'eatables' not minding the fact that he hasn't paid for the food he was eating. Debo decided to challenge him, he said "Uncle, you never say me oh!". The conductor looked at him with this kind of 'i know' look. Debo then asked "When will you pay nah". The conductor now talked at last, he said "Wetin dey do you sef, why u dey shout at me because of small money.. Because of this, I no go pay sef".
Debo started to plead with the conductor but he won't listen, instead he started beating the poor boy.
After 3 minutes of non-stop beating, he left debo alone and ran away with more bread and groundnuts. Debo managed to stand and ran after the conductor. As expected, the conductor ran expertly across the busy road, Debo followed him without checking out for on-coming vehicles, he was hit by a vehicle and he fainted immediately........
----------
Banke was able to prepare breakfast for her family before they woke up..... Minutes later, Ade woke up and tiptoed to the kitchen, not wanting to disturb his wife, he walked back to their bedroom without calling Banke's attention...
Suddenly, Ade began his rounds of coughing, the coughing produced loud noise, which alerted his wife who ran with a speed, that can be refer to as jet speed, to help her hubby.. Banke felt sorry for him because he was already too skinny.
She helped in cleaning her husband when Segun arrived. He was taken abate by the appearance of his brother. He later decided to take him to a well known herbalist, Ifayemi, in their village. Banke quickly changed her husband's cloth and led him out of their hut with Segun's support...
*** End of chapter 1***
Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by bigwig97(m): 10:49am On Dec 25, 2014
dnt jst read... pls comment wl charge me 2 write more!
Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by bigwig97(m): 10:52am On Dec 25, 2014
for unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given, and the government shal be upon his shoulder and his name shal be called; wonderful, counsellor, mighty god, everlasting father, prince of peace..
merry xmas to ma dearest readers...
Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by bigwig97(m): 12:31pm On Dec 26, 2014
comment to encourage please!! next update comes up b4 6p.m
Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by stuff46(m): 1:50pm On Dec 26, 2014
sights***

Iam here (though late)
abeg who be that your boy when go bring that zobo and pop corn.{hope its oms}

Tell him to give me my usuals. {he knows it}

ride on
Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by bigwig97(m): 2:43pm On Dec 26, 2014
stuff46:
sights***
Iam here (though late)
ride on
onemansquad, go bring her usuals along side the zobo, chips and pop
Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by Onemansquad(m): 2:46pm On Dec 26, 2014
stuff46:
sights***

Iam here (though late)

ride on
i luk lyk errand boy 4 ur eyes bros check my beards oo
Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by bigwig97(m): 2:49pm On Dec 26, 2014
Onemansquad:

lolz...bro no vex
Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by Onemansquad(m): 2:49pm On Dec 26, 2014
bigwig97:
shey u want ma kill evrybdy wey dy dis thread ni
Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by bigwig97(m): 3:03pm On Dec 26, 2014
Onemansquad:

shey u want ma kill evrybdy wey dy dis thread ni
y go kill them anyway,dnt bring the zobo, chips and pop corn..
Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by stuff46(m): 5:10pm On Dec 26, 2014
bigwig97:

lookat dz guy oh, u no de take eye see woman
its a he oh
Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by stuff46(m): 5:12pm On Dec 26, 2014
Onemansquad:

that thing when u fix
Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by bigwig97(m): 9:37pm On Dec 26, 2014
CHAPTER 2
Debo woke up from his sleep to find himself on a small bed. He looked around and saw other beds on which patients were laid, nurses and doctors, with stethoscopes hung around their necks, in the same room he was. He was in an hospital and was on drip.
"Thank God, You are now awake. The doctor will soon come to check you up. Just relax" A pretty nurse in her mid twenthies said and walked away.
Debo wanted to say something but the nurse was out of sight before he could say a word.
In a couple of minutes, a female doctor walked up to his bed and said "Thank God you are alive again"
Debo looked at her and asked "what i'm doing here?"
The doctor answered saying, 'you were rushed here two days ago and since then you didn't wake up. We all thought you won't survive the accident,but thank God once again. How is your body now?".
"I'm okay,ma".
The doctor bent down and examined him and said "From what I have here, you would be discharged tomorrow."
"but where are your parents?", she added.
Debo's countenance change on hearing this and started shedding tears.
In microseconds, he remembered the good live he lived with his parents, how they showered him with love and gifts.
The doctor noticed the change in countenance, she patted him and consoled him.
After recovering, he told her about how his parents died,how he sold goods at the garage, how the conductor cheated him and how he was hit by a car. She paid rapt attention to his story and believed him because it was a bus driver that brought him to the hospital claiming that he was hit by a car and he (driver) also told her that he (Debo) was likely to be an orphan since he had seen Debo passing his night in his bus many times.
She pitied him and decided to help him. She told him she would like to adopt him since she had no son and he has no one to cater for him. "But I have to seek my husband's permission first. I pray he agrees" She added.
Debo was very happy about this news and he thanked her for the kind gesture.
_________
please manage this little for today...my day was very hectic and i need to rest now.thanks for understanding. gud9t
Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by bigwig97(m): 1:48pm On Dec 28, 2014
*continuation*
segun and banke carried ade into an old hut which belongs to fayemi. fayemi was in his late sixties, he has grey hair and his neck and eyelid were painted white which is believe to serve for protection. fayemi has a white cloth tied round his waist and a white singlet on. segun,banke and fayemi exchanged greetings without wasting time. fayemi welcomed them to his hut and asked them what brought them to his hut very early that morning. segun cleared his throat and said 'fayemi, the great one, this is my brother. he suddenly became sick and the cause of the illness talkless of the cure is still unknown. so we want you to help us ask the gods what we should do so he would survive the illness'. by the time segun finished his narration, banke was already shedding tears. fayemi brought out his beads and white cloth.. he chanted some incantation with working on the beads.. after a while, he said,'segun, the gods said ur brother will be well if you can offer sacrifice. and for the sacrifice bring 5yards of white cloth, 5 male goats, and 5 litres of palm oil. the gods also warned that these things should be offered before the next market day, which is 2 day to come, unless the worst would happen'. on hearing the last sentence in fayemi's speech, fear gripped banke. she jumped up with determination of buying the required within few hours. she was going to use the profit she gathered from her daily sales in her small shop. she was a petty trader and ade was a farmer. segun, on the other hand, wasnt sure of how he would get money..
banke and segun thanked fayemi and ade was carried out...
______
doctor lolade and debo enter a mansion. As doctor opened the door, her daughter tola greeted her, while her husband,wale, welcome her with a kiss.
Doctor had told her family about Debo the previous night. She told them the same story Debo told her in the hospital in a manner that can be regard as 'copy and paste'. After hearing this, Wale loved debo and praised lolade's decision to help the hardworking poor boy.
"This is Debo, I suppose" Wale said staring at Debo.
"yes" Doctor answered
Tola treated Debo like her brother, though they were age-mates. they did all the household chores together. wale was a banker, he leaves for work early and returns late at night. there was a day, wale and lolade were not at home,tola went to her parent's room and stole #2000 from her father's drawer. debo walked pass wale's room and he was surprised to see the door ajar, he walked up to the door....
*tbc*
Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by bigwig97(m): 2:21pm On Dec 30, 2014
*continuation*
tola became frightened when she heard some footsteps behind the door. she knew at once that the owner of the footsteps was debo since he was the only one at home with her. she pray that debo should walk pass the room without checking why the door was opened. suddenly, the door knob turned, tola felt like dying because she knew wale won't spare her if he gets to know she stole his moment. fortunately for her, debo ignorantly shut the door without peeping into the room and walked away. tola thanked her star, took #2000 from the drawer and hurried out of wale's room when debo's footsteps were no longer heard.. she ran into her room as if she was being chased by a ghost, she kept the money inside her shoe.. she then rushed out to meet debo before he noticed her absence...
_____
tola lay on a three-seater in their living room thinking of how she would expertly cover up her evil deed.. after few minutes of thinking, an idea came... she called on debo and said, "debo, you know i'm meant to clean up dad's room today but i don't think i'm strong enough to do that..." she paused to look at debo's reaction. she then continued when she saw pity write all over debo's face, "so i want you to please help me to do the cleaning". debo agreed and walked out of the living room without hesitating... when debo was out of sight, tola laughed wicked because her plan was working
Re: What Cant Kill, Makes One Stronger by bigwig97(m): 3:11pm On Dec 30, 2014
*continuation*
wale got home before his wife and the kids greeated him, he hugged them in return. after the greetings, he walked into his room.. he liked the condition he met the room. he felt like rewarding the kids so he decided to give them a thousand naira each.. he change his cloth and moved to his drawer, brought out his money and discovered #2000 was missing. he dashed out of his room and called the kids. when the kids got to living room, he then asked them.. "which of you stole my money" tola was the first to talk, she said "dad, i didnt steal your money oh! but it was debo that cleaned your room. infact, i didnt enter your room when you were not around". tola lied "debo what do you have to say" wale barked. "sir, it is true ..."debo was still talking when wale cut in. "what!! it's true you stole my money?" "no sir, that's not what i mean." "so what are u trying to tell me" wale asked angrily.. "i cleaned ur room, but didn't take your money" "how do you expect me to believe you? you were the only one there when u were doing the cleaning nah" "yes sir, but believe me sir. i can't and i didn't steal your money" debo added. "liar!!" wale screamed "i'm telling the truth sir, infact you can search my room" debo said. "shut up! do u think am a fool? i should waste my time searching your room when you would have kept the money somewhere else. listen to me, because of this you are leaving this house today. so enter your room, pack ur load, and go away" wale said. debo pleaded for mercy but wale won't listen. suddenly the door opened and doctor came in.
*tbc*
_____
>would the doctor believe he stole the money?
>would she plead on his behalf?
>would wale pardon him?
let comments and critics keep rolling in

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate / Is Anyone Attending Ake Arts And Books Festival? / Poem : A Farewell To My Late Mother Part One

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.