Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,572 members, 7,809,085 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:41 PM

Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer (19171 Views)

How A Lecturer Punished A UNILORIN Final Year Student / Lecturer Collects Undergraduate's Slippers In UNILORIN (image) / Nigerian Lecturer Solves 156 Year Old Mathematical Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer by ghostwritter(m): 3:39pm On Dec 24, 2014
Emperorking20:
THE NIGERIAN LECTURER

* Many of Nigerian tertiary institution's lecturers do feel too big to comment on their students' post on social media.
It's a clear difference between black lecturers and white lecturers.

* Most Nigerian lecturers behave as if their students will not graduate for life.
Some intentionally mass fail students to portray themselves as strict lecturers.

* Most Nigerian lecturers are lazy yet they want their students to be hardworking.
They don't consider themselves as bad examples for students.
* Some Nigerian lecturers textbooks are carbon copy of foreign authors.
Still they will reject students' project because they copied.

* Some Nigerian lecturers' spoken and written English language are very bad yet they will always deduct students marks for grammatical errors.
Don't mind all my errors in this post. I was trained by Nigerian lecturers tongue

This doesn't mean you cant find a really good intellectual Nigerian lecturer angry .
Shoutout to all amiable and super standard lecturers cool
YOU ARE NOT A NIGERIAN.....we don't talk trash like this.
Re: Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer by latuntop(m): 3:39pm On Dec 24, 2014
Nigerian lecturers love going on strike.
Re: Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer by Nobody: 3:40pm On Dec 24, 2014
nicflame:
I could remember one went on and copied MIT (massachusetts institute of technology)exams for us as test. We failed woefully. He felt like a don.
Then guys saw the questions on net, downloaded all, and guess what, He gave the questions in the exam, and favor smiled down upon us..
A mechanical engineering grad from the University of Benin told me this exact same story. He said what pained him the most was that the said lecturer was notoriously daft, yet he was feeling like a don for copying MIT questions from the net.

1 Like

Re: Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer by agabaI23(m): 3:42pm On Dec 24, 2014
sod09:
some will frustrate you and make u write chapter one like 3 times
Bleep my supervisor angry
If you write rubbish, do you expect the lecturer to accept it as presented? Is he doing you any favour? It is called mentoring. Most often, chapter one is always literature review and most students know next to nothing about this aspect of literary until they are faced with their project. I blame lecturers for this. I will only consider that laziness on the side of the lecturer if the he does not direct you on what to do each time he requests that you re-write a chapter anyway. If you have ever looked at an article you wrote some years back without anyone's input, you will understand the importance of mentoring or peer review as the case may be. They are not sadists. They also get frustrated when you write the same thing each time and expect them to accept it undecided

I understand that some lecturers feel like gods...

2 Likes

Re: Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer by 2scorehigh(m): 3:43pm On Dec 24, 2014

frustratedman:
Sai Buhari cool

Buhari till 2019

Come o! All diz sai buhari chants must stop o! What is all dis?! Even in threads that have nothing to do with politics, you still hear the same chants!!!

Mtchewww! Ayam already tired of hearing it. I get so angry when I hear it nowadays. And when I get angry, I do lots and lots of drastic things. So pls, if you are among the chanters, consider this as your last warning!

Hope I have made myself clear?

Good. That is all I want to say for now!

I hope ayam not forgetting anything else...? What is this other thing I wanted to say before I finally go...?

Em...em...yes, Sai Buhari!
Re: Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer by enkay11: 3:55pm On Dec 24, 2014
frustratedman:
Sai Buhari cool

Buhari till 2019
. Is everything about buhari and Jonathan? Can't you make a comment without adding. 'Sai buhari'? You are just like the way your name sounds" frustrated man"
Re: Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer by Coolguy89(m): 3:56pm On Dec 24, 2014
Eyya for Nigerian student cos I school in Shanghai
Re: Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer by staymore: 4:25pm On Dec 24, 2014
ShakurM:
Buhari till 2023+! grin Changing our lecturer's lives n sundry cheesy

How is Buhari till 2023
And facts about Nigerian lecturers connected?
Re: Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer by janvier27(m): 4:34pm On Dec 24, 2014
Thank God, you ended it with those nice words. It's not all bad. I imagine many lecturers also feel that many university students here should not really be in the university.
Re: Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer by SkinnyDude(m): 4:37pm On Dec 24, 2014
hungryboy:
Nairaland is so boring this days

taught by a Nigerian Lecturer.

hungryboy, it's THESE. inugo?
Re: Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer by agabaI23(m): 4:45pm On Dec 24, 2014
SkinnyDude:

Taught by a Nigerian Lecturer.

hungryboy, it's THESE. inugo?

grin oya modify that your post or I will highlight your own bullet..........
Re: Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer by ShakurM(m): 4:47pm On Dec 24, 2014
staymore:

How is Buhari till 2023
And facts about Nigerian lecturers connected?
ur assignment jare?? grin
Re: Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer by Samcathe: 4:49pm On Dec 24, 2014
Most of them are a real coward. Their brain will begin to malfunction anytime they see a beautiful lady. The worst part is that they can go extra mile even at the expense of their job just to bring a down. I now begin to wonder the type of knowledge they are imparting in us.
God saves us..almost everything in this country is not in order
Re: Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer by tundesto(m): 4:52pm On Dec 24, 2014
agabaI23:
If you write rubbish, do you expect the lecturer to accept it as presented? Is he doing you any favour? It is called mentoring. Most often, chapter one is always literature review and most students know next to nothing about this aspect of literary until they are faced with their project. I blame lecturers for this. I will only consider that laziness on the side of the lecturer if the he does not direct you on what to do each time he requests that you re-write a chapter anyway. If you have ever looked at an article you wrote some years back without anyone's input, you will understand the importance of mentoring or peer review as the case may be. They are not sadists. They also get frustrated when you write the same thing each time and expect them to accept it undecided

For God's sake Chapter 1 is not Literature Review. Literature Review is written in Chapter 2 of any project.
Re: Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer by agabaI23(m): 4:57pm On Dec 24, 2014
tundesto:

For God's sake Chapter 1 is not Literature Review. Literature Review is written in Chapter 2 of any project.
I said 'most often' and not all the time undecided. Universities have different styles.

And what is it in chapter 1 anyway?
Re: Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer by proffemi: 4:58pm On Dec 24, 2014
Emperorking20:
Many of Nigerian tertiary institution's lecturers do feel too big to comment on their students' post on social media. It's a clear difference between black lecturers and white lecturers.
NO. It's a clear difference between African culture and "western culture". The power distance is just much greater in a typical African society. And I wonder why your lecturer has to comment on your social media posts? Would you expect him to do that for ~200 students...is he jobless?

Most Nigerian lecturers behave as if their students will not graduate for life. Some intentionally mass fail students to portray themselves as strict lecturers.
I object to your use of the word "most".

Most Nigerian lecturers are lazy yet they want their students to be hardworking. They don't consider themselves as bad examples for students.
I object strongly to the word "most".

Some Nigerian lecturers textbooks are carbon copy of foreign authors. Still they will reject students' project because they copied.
It would help if you gave some examples of the former. Still no reason why the latter should be tolerated.

Some Nigerian lecturers' spoken and written English language are very bad yet they will always deduct students marks for grammatical errors
They grade you to a marking scheme, not their own level of control of the Queen's language.

This doesn't mean you cant find a really good intellectual Nigerian lecturer. Shout out to all amiable and super standard lecturers cool
You can tell I'm unhappy about your post. You make it seem like "really good" lecturers are the exception, rather than the rule. I can't say I agree with you, but perhaps I'm looking at the issue through glasses rose-tinted to the shades of my university?

1 Like

Re: Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer by proffemi: 5:00pm On Dec 24, 2014
EagleScribes:
The summary of it all - most Nigerian lecturers are average or below average
Relative to what?
Re: Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer by realK: 5:06pm On Dec 24, 2014
Dear Nigeria Students,

What is important is that you learnt, it would not matter if your lecturer is average or not, teaches you directly or requests you to go and learn.

Understanding you lecturer is important if you care about the marks in your exams. The genius with independent mind do not like exams by the way, ("One had to cram all this stuff into one's mind for the examinations, whether one liked it or not. This coercion had such a deterring effect on me that, after I had passed the final examination, I found the consideration of any scientific problems distasteful to me for an entire year." - Einstein).

And prepare well for your exams.

For you to be better than your lecturer or teacher or coach, they must demand from you more than you think is right of them to demand. I do not see a lecture as average if he is asking you to do more, he only wants you to be better, embrace it and get done with it already. You will be better for it.

Remember this, if you ever work for someone (other than yourself), your boss would do the same to you and take the glory and accolades that comes with the success of your work. Sometimes you get to share in the largesse, until you learned the rope and move up the ladder. Same you will do to people below you. So get used to it if you want to excel and be successful and stop complaining.

Wish you more success than you deserve in your endeavor.

2 Likes

Re: Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer by tundesto(m): 5:09pm On Dec 24, 2014
agabaI23:
I said 'most often' and not all the time undecided. Universities have different styles.

And what is it in chapter 1 anyway?
Chapter 1 is always reserved for Introduction, background, scope, limitation, aim and objective etc. No university has put Literature review to Chapter 1 before.
Re: Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer by agabaI23(m): 5:12pm On Dec 24, 2014
tundesto:

Chapter 1 is always reserved for Introduction, background, scope, limitation, aim and objective etc. No university has put Literature review to Chapter 1 before.
What is the difference between introduction, background and literature review?

Please don't say no university has put lit rev as chapter one before.
Re: Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer by tundesto(m): 5:31pm On Dec 24, 2014
agabaI23:
What is the difference between introduction, background and literature review?

Please don't say no university has put lit rev as chapter one before.

I don't think you are a graduate of any tertiary institution. If you are you won't be asking me this question.
Re: Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer by SkinnyDude(m): 5:35pm On Dec 24, 2014
agabaI23:

grin oya modify that your post or I will highlight your own bullet..........
hahaha. my guy, nobody is above mistake. from today henceforth, i cease to be a fault finder.
Re: Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer by agabaI23(m): 5:35pm On Dec 24, 2014
tundesto:

I don't think you are a graduate of any tertiary institution. If you are you won't be asking me this question.
smiley
Why can't you educate me sir? Tell me the difference(s) between introduction, background and Literature review.
Re: Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer by agabaI23(m): 5:37pm On Dec 24, 2014
SkinnyDude:
hahaha. my guy, nobody is above mistake. from today henceforth, i cease to be a fault finder.
Good boy wink
Re: Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer by Dekatron(m): 5:45pm On Dec 24, 2014
krall:
"THANK GOD I SCHOOLED IN ................................"
north korea lectured by kim jung un's inlaw. . SMH. . you need jesus.
(na play o)
Re: Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer by Dekatron(m): 5:49pm On Dec 24, 2014
SkinnyDude:
today henceforth? sir,your lecturer wicked o. .
(all na play o)
Re: Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer by SkinnyDude(m): 5:56pm On Dec 24, 2014
Dekatron:
today henceforth? sir,your lecturer wicked o. .
(all na play o)
that is it. Nigerian lecturers.
Re: Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer by sod09(m): 5:58pm On Dec 24, 2014
agabaI23:

dude mine is different I even collected d work he supervised recently....
I did nothing out of context
My peeps said I should try settle him...but I want him to talk instead of me moving ahead yo prevent is to be another thing
Re: Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer by agabaI23(m): 6:01pm On Dec 24, 2014
sod09:
dude mine is different I even collected d work he supervised recently....
I did nothing out of context
My peeps said I should try settle him...but I want him to talk instead of me moving ahead yo prevent is to be another thing
PM me if you can...
Re: Facts About The Average Nigerian Lecturer by 0955eb027(m): 6:08pm On Dec 24, 2014
kennygee:
There are some that say A is for God, B is for him and C can be for you if you are very studious and intelligent.
did u graduate 4rm d university of ilorin?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

LIST: Federal Unity Colleges In Nigeria / First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? / Tin Ore Found On University Of Ilorin Land In Large Deposit – VC Abdulkareem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.