Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,397 members, 7,808,429 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:48 AM

About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* (33148 Views)

Write Your Shortest Flash Fiction. Not More Than 25 Words. / The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge / Nairaland E-workshop For Writers---Comment Thread--Day1(Sept30) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Nobody: 11:25am On Dec 26, 2014
whitemosquito:
The Grand Masquada himself!
No, dearie, it wouldn't count. Forgot to add that jere.
As soon as the thread is reopened, Ill make a few changes...

Happy writing!
Chai...400 words... There is God ooo..It will make me masquadilicous
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Royver(m): 12:09pm On Dec 26, 2014
whitemosquito:
@ daveP, Merry Christmas right back at you. For jara, add a prosperous New year.
Please clarify what you mean by homework..

Repogirlie, hugs and kisses! Im more glad you're part of it.

Royver, please check in. As per what we discussed, get ur nimble fingers to work already na. Post on all those your 'customer' sites.
Cc yuzedo, I don't mind having it on the magamaga.com.

You could simply skip the intro to the competition, copy the general guidelines and relevant info..then paste a link to the thread for further details.
We need as much publicity as we can get, otherwise the purpose of the competition would be defeated.
Thanks.
Checking in after the christmas break. MErry ChriStmas!!!!
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by daveP(m): 3:08pm On Dec 26, 2014
whitemosquito:
@ daveP, Merry Christmas right back at you. For jara, add a prosperous New year.
Please clarify what you mean by homework.

Thanks.
oh that........ Just checking if you've done the necessary things to make this idea a perfect/ well planned one.

Okay for jara-purposes.....

[size=32pt] Happy Boxing Day and a Livid, Prosperous New year lying in wait[/size] cheesy
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Bhenehdikt(m): 10:12pm On Dec 26, 2014
We are only to reply via the main thread but its not open...Is it going to be open at all and when?

Kudoz to da brainbox dat initiated dz idea
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by donstevico(m): 10:21pm On Dec 26, 2014
hmm...... :-Xhmm......
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by israelboy1(m): 10:22pm On Dec 26, 2014
Following
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Adrenaline123(m): 10:32pm On Dec 26, 2014
Intrested. Pls hw do I join?
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by zyzxx(m): 10:40pm On Dec 26, 2014
Touchmeder come and write
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Therock5555(m): 12:55am On Dec 27, 2014
yagga I don show, mosquito so you fine like this and I made you an enemy tarrr let's be friends now, when and how do I submit my own story, 400 words is too short sha but man gats adapt share.

Nice innovative idea btw
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Nobody: 6:17am On Dec 27, 2014
@Whitemosquito, what if the judges end up blacklisting writers that once had issues with them? Things like this can happen. I have never had issues with any of the judges but what if in the past, I had written something that annoyed any of them and got me in their black books?

I would like that you consider that stories are not judged based on the popularity of the monikers here on Nairaland but on the quality of the stories. If possible, ensure that the stories are judged anonymously.

Thanks for this kind gesture towards writers here on Nairaland.

3 Likes

Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by safarigirl(f): 7:56am On Dec 27, 2014
Whitemosquito....must it depict Nigerian festivals? And can you elaborate on what you mean by 'culture' (modern/traditional)?

And just 400 words?
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by whitemosquito(f): 8:25am On Dec 27, 2014
hifaif:
@Whitemosquito, what if the judges end up blacklisting writers that once had issues with them? Things like this can happen.
True, that was a concern and that is PRECISELY why I have set up the moderations thus so, installing a few checkmates:

1; All moderation conclusions will be submitted to me personally NOT posted here. I will do the posting here.

2; Although the judges are paired in teams in order to reduce workload, they are to work INDEPENDENTLY of each other. They are all both aware and have acquiesed to this.

3; I will thus be overseeing the entire process, and reserve the veto to abrogate any of their decisions.

4; Most important of all, I know the CHARACTER of my judges, and Im fully prepared to trust their decisions. Integrity was one of my overriding concerns, and most of them are personal friends of mine(quick #famzing, Lol) and with them I am assured of this.

hifaif:
I would like that you consider that stories are not judged based on the popularity of the monikers here on Nairaland but on the quality of the stories.
That, Sir is the absolute POINT of the whole Challenge.

hifaif:
If possible, ensure that the stories are judged anonymously.
Even this would not ensure 'more' fairness. Think about it. Are the writers to be anonymous? Impossible, when their entries are to be submitted here. Are the judges to be anonymous? Doesnt influence the outcome of the results either. Whoever wishes to be partial will still do so.
This plan however, is workable and fraught with the least errors.

This is the test run of this project, subsequently I intend to get published and acclaimed writers from around the world to moderate... Still, Sir, put your mind at ease and channel your hearty imagination into writing a worthy piece. I'll be looking forward to reading your entry.
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by whitemosquito(f): 8:32am On Dec 27, 2014
Bhenehdikt:
We are only to reply via the main thread but its not open...Is it going to be open at all and when
It will be open on the 28th, tomorrow and will remain open till the 10th.
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by whitemosquito(f): 8:40am On Dec 27, 2014

1 Like

Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by whitemosquito(f): 8:48am On Dec 27, 2014
safarigirl:
Whitemosquito....must it depict Nigerian festivals? And can you elaborate on what you mean by 'culture' (modern/traditional)?

And just 400 words?
Festivals are just a part of our culture. It was merely an example I used. CULTURE is the key word. I can think of so many other things that depict culture- dressing, language, food, etc.
I dont know what you mean by modern culture, but I think its safe to say I mean the Traditional African Culture. Just infuse a bit of culture in your work.

400 words is even too much for me sef. Its flash fiction, not an essay, or short story. The ability for you to capture the most imagery and tell a story with economy is part of what you're being judged on.

Happy writing dearie.

1 Like

Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by whitemosquito(f): 8:51am On Dec 27, 2014
Therock5555:
yagga I don show, mosquito so you fine like this and I made you an enemy tarrr let's be friends now, when and how do I submit my own story, 400 words is too short sha but man gats adapt share.

Nice innovative idea btw
https://www.nairaland.com/2060343/white-mosquito-flash-fiction-challenge
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Nobody: 8:56am On Dec 27, 2014
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Bhenehdikt(m): 9:16am On Dec 27, 2014
whitemosquito:
It will be open on the 28th, tomorrow and will remain open till the 10th.
tanx
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Rapmaestro(m): 10:49am On Dec 27, 2014
Nice work @ White mosquito and co
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Rapmaestro(m): 11:10am On Dec 27, 2014
Will the stories be sent to a mail to avoid editing? Or posted by the writers?
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Bhenehdikt(m): 11:56am On Dec 27, 2014
Rapmaestro:
I was thinking about that also
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by sosiqdude(m): 1:56pm On Dec 27, 2014
What here all about...is it a poem or what...someone should explain...

I'm so interested in this.
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by whitemosquito(f): 2:55pm On Dec 27, 2014
Rapmaestro:
It will be posted on the Challenge thread. There shall be no editing by the judges.
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Nobody: 4:02pm On Dec 27, 2014
whitemosquito:
True, that was a concern and that is PRECISELY why I have set up the moderations thus so, installing a few checkmates:

1; All moderation conclusions will be submitted to me personally NOT posted here. I will do the posting here.

2; Although the judges are paired in teams in order to reduce workload, they are to work INDEPENDENTLY of each other. They are all both aware and have acquiesed to this.

3; I will thus be overseeing the entire process, and reserve the veto to abrogate any of their decisions.

4; Most important of all, I know the CHARACTER of my judges, and Im fully prepared to trust their decisions. Integrity was one of my overriding concerns, and most of them are personal friends of mine(quick #famzing, Lol) and with them I am assured of this.

That, Sir is the absolute POINT of the whole Challenge.

Even this would not ensure 'more' fairness. Think about it. Are the writers to be anonymous? Impossible, when their entries are to be submitted here. Are the judges to be anonymous? Doesnt influence the outcome of the results either. Whoever wishes to be partial will still do so.
This plan however, is workable and fraught with the least errors.

This is the test run of this project, subsequently I intend to get published and acclaimed writers from around the world to moderate... Still, Sir, put your mind at ease and channel your hearty imagination into writing a worthy piece. I'll be looking forward to reading your entry.

Thanks for this patient and robust reply to my post. I appreciate you.

Now, my mind is at rest.

1 Like

Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Rapmaestro(m): 6:24pm On Dec 27, 2014
whitemosquito:
It will be posted on the Challenge thread. There shall be no editing by the judges.
you are yet to answer my question ma'am.. Are the writers posting by themselves or sending to judges to post for them?
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Nobody: 6:32pm On Dec 27, 2014
Quick Question: Is superstition regarded as an African belief by the Judges?
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by whitemosquito(f): 6:53pm On Dec 27, 2014
Rapmaestro:
you are yet to answer my question ma'am.. Are the writers posting by themselves or sending to judges to post for them?
Na wa o. Judges to post for you? Did you bother to read the Submission guidelines at all? It is well o. Some kweshuns sef..e dey make me lose hope.

The Challenge thread will be opened tomorrow, 28th till the 10th of January, 2015. All entries should be posted there by the writers. Judges shall review entries and send their moderations to me. Okpari..
Before someone asks what the Challenge thread is..The one that made front page. Thats the one.

1 Like

Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by whitemosquito(f): 6:54pm On Dec 27, 2014
SirChotas:
Quick Question: Is superstition regarded as an African belief by the Judges?
Bros, abeg just write.
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by MumZ(f): 8:13pm On Dec 27, 2014
whitemosquito:
Na wa o. Judges to post for you? Did you bother to read the Submission guidelines at all? It is well o. Some kweshuns sef..e dey make me lose hope.

The Challenge thread will be opened tomorrow, 28th till the 10th of January, 2015. All entries should be posted there by the writers. Judges shall review entries and send their moderations to me. Okpari..
Before someone asks what the Challenge thread is..The one that made front page. Thats the one.

I tink wat he is saying is dat wen writers post demseleves, dey can keep going back 2 modify dia entries even after dey av submitted dia entries till d thread is locked.

2 Likes

Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by An0nimus: 8:43pm On Dec 27, 2014
Nicesmiley.
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by whitemosquito(f): 8:57pm On Dec 27, 2014
MumZ:

I tink wat he is saying is dat wen writers post demseleves, dey can keep going back 2 modify dia entries even after dey av submitted dia entries till d thread is locked.
Oh. Ok. That's up to them.
The moderations start AFTER the deadline is up and the thread's been locked. So, nothing still spoil.
Cheers.
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by whitemosquito(f): 8:16am On Dec 28, 2014
THE CHALLENGE THREAD WILL BE OPEN IN THE NEXT THIRTY MINUTES............

LET THE ENTERTAINMENT BEGIN!!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Love, No Inhibitions / Circle Of Three. / Faceless By Amma Darko

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.