Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,132 members, 7,807,435 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:26 PM

Careers In Public Health - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Careers In Public Health (136385 Views)

Top 5 Careers That Can Make Your Spouse Cheat On You / Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military / Best Paid Careers In Nigeria For 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Careers In Public Health by bibikaz: 5:54pm On Jul 27, 2015
[quote author=Etinosajay post=36312551]
Permission granted.

I don't think your questions are too many, therefore keep them coming. If I can answer them, I will. And most likely any other person who has insight into what you've asked may also wish to comment.

For questions on requirements, course duration, full time or part time, it's best to take a look at the PG prospectus of UI to get firsthand info, as well as more information.

The deadline for the current application is just around the corner. Maybe a week more or less, judging from the fact that application opened on June 8th and should run for 7 weeks.

How to purchase the form? Complete it online on the pgschool website, print an invoice, visit an accredited bank near you (anywhere) and defray the cost. Talk to an experienced teller not the regular cash and stamp cashiers.

Application Cost? Depends on your programme. I paid 20500 (MPH Epi)

I do know that for full time, course work is spread week long and sometimes Saturdays. You have to understand that PG is structured for more in depth study and practice.

Not sure of how part time is structured.

Their lecturers? I have no first experience, but I won't rate them badly. They are professionals and human too (culled from immediate past students).

Want to shuttle btw Lag and ibadan? No problem if you think you can handle it. I knew someone who worked in the south south and did his MPH at IBD going to and fro.

Thank you very much.I appreciate your support and responses.However I have more questions to gain more clarity.1st of,kindly resend the link to UI's website.I tried to look for it on the previous post,but to no avail
2.Can they admit a 2:2 graduate of Microbiology Bsc?
3.Reading through the previous thread a second time,I notice that you can acquire an 'MPH' from 'UI',however in unilag,with a degree in Biological sciences like mine,you can only acquire an M.sc in PH.Please what is the difference between the MPH and M.sc PH.
3.I live and work in Lagos(so a par-time programme is what is likely to work for me,depending on the dynamics involved in their part-time lecture )I'm not particularly familiar with UI as such,Please can you help me find out if they run a par-time in PH and the duration?Also if it's the full-time you opt for how long is it gonna be run for?
4.you sound very convinced with doing an MPH in UI.I'll like to share in this convictions.Are you aware of people that have acquired an MPH in UI,or someone that is currently running it?what is your conviction that it's worth the while?(not trying to sound pessimistic,I just want be as convinced as you sound) also I'm of the opinion that have done a lot of research&you sound well-informed,based on how you have managed the conversations and answers to this thread,so your opinion would be of great help personally to me.This will enable me make an informed decision.
5.you also mentioned that after the entrance exam,you'll have to re-write another exam or an interview.Please throw more light on that.
It seems as though Etinos is the only one responding,Please I encourage others to also share their views and opinion.No knowledge is a waste.
To my previous question:I ask again-Is anybody aware of a graduate of an 'M.sc PH' in unilag or anyone that is currently running a programme and has shared or is willing to share some experience in that regard.

Thank you very much.
Re: Careers In Public Health by bibikaz: 9:47pm On Jul 27, 2015
Thank you very much.I appreciate your support and responses.However I have more questions to gain more clarity.1st of,kindly resend the link to UI's website.I tried to look for it on the previous post,but to no avail
2.Can they admit a 2:2 graduate of Microbiology Bsc?
3.Reading through the previous thread a second time,I notice that you can acquire an 'MPH' from 'UI',however in unilag,with a degree in Biological sciences like mine,you can only acquire an M.sc in PH.Please what is the difference between the MPH and M.sc PH.
3.I live and work in Lagos(so a par-time programme is what is likely to work for me,depending on the dynamics involved in their part-time lecture )I'm not particularly familiar with UI as such,Please can you help me find out if they run a par-time in PH and the duration?Also if it's the full-time you opt for how long is it gonna be run for?
4.you sound very convinced with doing an MPH in UI.I'll like to share in this convictions.Are you aware of people that have acquired an MPH in UI,or someone that is currently running it?what is your conviction that it's worth the while?(not trying to sound pessimistic,I just want be as convinced as you sound) also I'm of the opinion that have done a lot of research&you sound well-informed,based on how you have managed the conversations and answers to this thread,so your opinion would be of great help personally to me.This will enable me make an informed decision.
5.you also mentioned that after the entrance exam,you'll have to re-write another exam or an interview.Please throw more light on that.
It seems as though Etinos is the only one responding,Please I encourage others to also share their views and opinion.No knowledge is a waste.
To my previous question:I ask again-Is anybody aware of a graduate of an 'M.sc PH' in unilag or anyone that is currently running a programme and has shared or is willing to share some experience in that regard.

Thank you very much.
*I think I clicked on the wrong icon earlier.
Re: Careers In Public Health by Chinyeaka85(f): 10:40pm On Jul 27, 2015
Good evening ladies / gents, pls can a graduate of Educational management and policy / health Education, study public health? My O level is very ok but Arts.
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 1:25pm On Jul 28, 2015
bodeoni:

Very useful advice. Thanks. A friend just informed me there is a 75% statutory attendance regulation in UI. I most def won't be able to make 75%. Maybe some other time or a more flexible school.

Thanks once again.

Your friend is absolutely correct.

You may consider enroling for online degree or certificate courses. There are numerous standardised online education providers available (out of the country though)
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 8:42am On Jul 29, 2015
[quote author=bibikaz post=36332496][/quote]

Here is the link to pgschool website.

http://pgschool.ui.edu.ng

You can download a copy of their current prospectus and read up the comprehensive admission requirement for the specific programme of interest to you. I haven't checked if 2:2 is admissible.

You can also read from the relevant programme section of the pg prospectus if there is a part time option for the MPH. The full time has a programme span of 24months.

Many schools in Nigeria still don't have a dedicated School of Public Health, which offers various streams in both the MPH or the MSc Public Health, that's why some offer just the MSc Public Health (academic).

The difference between the MSc Public Health (academic) and the MPH (Professional) is that the former is purely research based, while the latter is Professional or practicum based. The MSc emphasis research in public health, and is academic. The Professional MPH equips health practitioners with knowledge and expertise for immediate application.

If you enter for the MSc which lasts between 12-18 months, you will end the programme with a thesis. While for the professional MPH, you will carry out a practicum or an attachment (3-6months) at the end of the programme.

My conviction is because I have settled for the MPH long ago. And I know one or two people who've completed the MPH course.

There was only the entrance exam before now, but it seems they've also added an English proficiency exam as well. That's the much I know
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 9:55am On Jul 29, 2015
Chinyeaka85:
Good evening ladies / gents, pls can a graduate of Educational management and policy / health Education, study public health? My O level is very ok but Arts.

I think yes. If you have a good first degree in health education, then you can be admitted into a masters degree programme, provided the stream you chose is within health management.

You may not be easily admitted to do an MPH within streams like Environmental Health or epidemiology.

1 Like

Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 9:35am On Jul 30, 2015
Good morning all.

Late postgraduate application rounds for 2015/2016 for University of Ibadan has now started on 27th July 2015
Re: Careers In Public Health by pitoski(m): 1:36am On Jul 31, 2015
wow! this thread is quite informative. friends am a First Class Graduate of a Basic Medical course currently doing my MPH. But am now facing tough decision as to which stream I prefer.

Am torn between
1) Global Health
2) Environmental and/or occupational health
3) Field Epidemiology
4) Maternal and Child
5) Biostatistics

Pls guys which should i pick. I need one that is more lucrative and having good prospects.

1 Like

Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 8:50am On Jul 31, 2015
pitoski:
wow! this thread is quite informative. friends am a First Class Graduate of a Basic Medical course currently doing my MPH. But am now facing tough decision as to which stream I prefer.

Am torn between
1) Global Health
2) Environmental and/or occupational health
3) Field Epidemiology
4) Maternal and Child
5) Biostatistics

Pls guys which should i pick. I need one that is more lucrative and having good prospects.

All of these streams are lucrative in the health sector, however, if you want to be a cross border health professional, Global Health would be it.

And then Epidemiology or Environmental Health.
Re: Careers In Public Health by chygohzye: 7:19am On Aug 01, 2015
This thread has been extremely enlightening and particularly helpful to me. I have a B.Sc in Environmental botany from UNILAG, and just finished my MPH program at the University of Newcastle, Australia, with a distinction . I am in the process of.continuing into a PHd, whilst still contemplating coming home to gain some relevant experience. I sincerely hope coming home is a wise decision.
While my program encompassed the broad aspect of public health, I have particular interests in aspects that affect sub-saharan Africa, like maternal health and infectious disease control.
I hope my story wasn't too long. Nice to meet you all. And good job, the thread initiator.

1 Like

Re: Careers In Public Health by raficki87(m): 10:56am On Aug 01, 2015
Please this is needed urgently, if you know the addresses of FHI360, CHAI & SFH please drop the addresses, I've been searching on google only their foreign addresses are coming up thanks in advance
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 11:47am On Aug 01, 2015
chygohzye:
This thread has been extremely enlightening and particularly helpful to me. I have a B.Sc in Environmental botany from UNILAG, and just finished my MPH program at the University of Newcastle, Australia, with a distinction . I am in the process of.continuing into a PHd, whilst still contemplating coming home to gain some relevant experience. I sincerely hope coming home is a wise decision.
While my program encompassed the broad aspect of public health, I have particular interests in aspects that affect sub-saharan Africa, like maternal health and infectious disease control.
I hope my story wasn't too long. Nice to meet you all. And good job, the thread initiator.

Welcome bro. Hopefully you'd share with us the depth of your knowledge in Public Health from now on.

We have many forumites who would be putting up questions from time to time, and we need enlightened and experienced peeps to share what they know.
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 11:48am On Aug 01, 2015
raficki87:
Please this is needed urgently, if you know the addresses of FHI360, CHAI & SFH please drop the addresses, I've been searching on google only their foreign addresses are coming up thanks in advance

Society for Family Health

http://www.sfhnigeria.org/offices

FHI360 (Family Health International)

http://www.fhi360.org/countries/nigeria

Was not able to find any physical address for CHAI (Clinton Health Access Initiative). You may request such from the headquarters in New York.
Re: Careers In Public Health by Nobody: 12:13pm On Aug 01, 2015
Good job here, a biochemist in the making probably learning one or two relevant information that might be useful later on in life.
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 12:17pm On Aug 01, 2015
torres2:
Good job here, a biochemist in the making probably learning one or two relevant information that might be useful later on in life.

We welcome you Metabolite.
Re: Careers In Public Health by saintfaculty(m): 6:15pm On Aug 01, 2015
chygohzye:

Good pm sir..

Please, can u give me directions on how to study MPH at the uni u did yours, d cost, and probably the benefits of studying MPH there?
Good job @ Etinosajay.... I studied Microbiology, currently serving our dear country.
Re: Careers In Public Health by Kurupt01: 6:17pm On Aug 01, 2015
Hello people, am a 400 level student of Biological Sciences from FUT Minna currently running my I.T program with a hospital in Abuja, coming across this thread is undoubtedly the best thing that has happened to me since I opened a NL account. To the OP and all other contributors I salute you.
Re: Careers In Public Health by amodu(m): 6:29pm On Aug 01, 2015
If you enter for the MSc which lasts between
12-18 months, you will end the programme with
a thesis. While for the professional MPH, you will
carry out a practicum or an attachment
(3-6months) at the end of the programme.

Does that means the MPH can't be done in part time because how could one combine work with practicum
Re: Careers In Public Health by chygohzye: 10:22pm On Aug 01, 2015
I am not a sir oh..Just a 22 year old small girl, biko...lol. It is still the same application process, coupled with visa processing, the fee is around 20,000 dollars and lasts for 12 months. I cannot necessarily say there are any more benefits of studying here that in nigeria. All I know is that compared with my undergrad, this was a more enjoyable ride, especially in terms of mode of instruction and easier approach to the lecturers.
saintfaculty:

Good pm sir..

Please, can u give me directions on how to study MPH at the uni u did yours, d cost, and probably the benefits of studying MPH there?
Good job @ Etinosajay.... I studied Microbiology, currently serving our dear country.

1 Like

Re: Careers In Public Health by chygohzye: 10:24pm On Aug 01, 2015
[Not a bro, dear. I can't boast of in-depth knowledge. But I'd be glad to share the little I know.quote author=Etinosajay post=36492877]

Welcome bro. Hopefully you'd share with us the depth of your knowledge in Public Health from now on.

We have many forumites who would be putting up questions from time to time, and we need enlightened and experienced peeps to share what they know.[/quote]
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 9:39am On Aug 02, 2015
Kurupt01:
Hello people, am a 400 level student of Biological Sciences from FUT Minna currently running my I.T program with a hospital in Abuja, coming across this thread is undoubtedly the best thing that has happened to me since I opened a NL account. To the OP and all other contributors I salute you.

We salute you too. Hopefully you'd share your knowledge with us too, to keep this thread going.
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 9:41am On Aug 02, 2015
amodu:

Does that means the MPH can't be done in part time because how could one combine work with practicum

Well to be honest, the MPH program structure doesn't favour part time study.

"A practicum is an adjunct 3-6months professional work attachment, as part of fulfilling the award of the MPH degree"
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 9:44am On Aug 02, 2015
chygohzye:
[Not a bro, dear. I can't boast of in-depth knowledge. But I'd be glad to share the little I know.quote author=Etinosajay post=36492877]

We have many forumites who would be putting up questions from time to time, and we need enlightened and experienced peeps to share what they know.

Okay sister. Welcome all the same.
Re: Careers In Public Health by Kurupt01: 10:34am On Aug 02, 2015
Etinosajay:

We salute you too. Hopefully you'd share your knowledge with us too, to keep this thread going.

Namaste, am here to learn oh boss but will help in whatever minute form that I can
Re: Careers In Public Health by amodu(m): 1:30pm On Aug 02, 2015
Etinosajay:

Well to be honest, the MPH program structure doesn't favour part time study.

"A practicum is an adjunct 3-6months professional work attachment, as part of fulfilling the award of the MPH degree"

noted
Re: Careers In Public Health by kaze4blues(m): 3:07pm On Aug 02, 2015
am presently at a crossroads. Im a graduate of biochemistry frm a nigerian university. which would u advise between a m.sc in biochemistry and MPH/ Msc PH considering th ease of employment. I intend to thread a path in academics.
tanks
Re: Careers In Public Health by saintfaculty(m): 3:48pm On Aug 02, 2015
chygohzye:
I am not a sir oh..Just a 22 year old small girl, biko...lol. It is still the same application process, coupled with visa processing, the fee is around 20,000 dollars and lasts for 12 months. I cannot necessarily say there are any more benefits of studying here that in nigeria. All I know is that compared with my undergrad, this was a more enjoyable ride, especially in terms of mode of instruction and easier approach to the lecturers.

Thank u very much Ma for taking out time to reply. Currently doing my Nysc now, when i'm done with it, i'll love to run MPH, majoring in Epidemiology within/outside the country.. outside preferably...
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 8:12pm On Aug 02, 2015
kaze4blues:
am presently at a crossroads. Im a graduate of biochemistry frm a nigerian university. which would u advise between a m.sc in biochemistry and MPH/ Msc PH considering th ease of employment. I intend to thread a path in academics.
tanks

To be fair, you shouldn't put these questions to us.

You would have gathered enough info on MPH here on this thread. I suggest learning more on advanced biochemistry to determine how you intend to grow academically.

If you ask me, I'd just say go the biochemistry way because it naturally follows

1 Like

Re: Careers In Public Health by lovesackk(m): 2:16pm On Aug 06, 2015
Thank you for all the contributions I must say I have learnt a lot and can make some wise decision. I have a question about money and making impact. I am currently applying for MSc public health in unilag. I am a graduate of cell biology and genetics. I want a public health option where my hard work will pay off.
I heard that epidemiology is hard, health
management work with hospitals, biostatistics work with data and the last option covers all aspect. I am ready to work hard but I want my hard work to be worth it money wise and likewise avail me opportunity to make impact in the health sector. Which options matches both? Please my exprirnced nairalanders, enlighten me.
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 3:20pm On Aug 06, 2015
lovesackk:
Thank you for all the contributions I must say I have learnt a lot and can make some wise decision. I have a question about money and making impact. I am currently applying for MSc public health in unilag. I am a graduate of cell biology and genetics. I want a public health option where my hard work will pay off.
I heard that epidemiology is hard, health
management work with hospitals, biostatistics work with data and the last option covers all aspect. I am ready to work hard but I want my hard work to be worth it money wise and likewise avail me opportunity to make impact in the health sector. Which options matches both? Please my exprirnced nairalanders, enlighten me.

Firstly, I think you should naturally follow your interest. Its always easy for you to get reward therein.

As a graduate of cell biology/genetics, you should somehow lean towards maternal health or reproductive health. Trust me, there are gains everywhere for hard work.

It doesn't follow to neglect your strengths in favour of arguably more rewarding areas, according to you.
Re: Careers In Public Health by raficki87(m): 8:29pm On Aug 08, 2015
Etinosajay:

Society for Family Health

http://www.sfhnigeria.org/offices

FHI360 (Family Health International)

http://www.fhi360.org/countries/nigeria

Was not able to find any physical address for CHAI (Clinton Health Access Initiative). You may request such from the headquarters in New York.
yh, thanks but what i meant is office address
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 9:27pm On Aug 08, 2015
raficki87:
yh, thanks but what i meant is office address

When u clicked that link, didn't u see the office address u wanted?

Oh I forgot, you didn't bother checking out the link.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) / Highest Paying Jobs In Nigeria And How Much They Pay / I Commented 'What A Nice Picture' On My Boss' Photo And She Is Taking It Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.