Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,295 members, 7,808,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:22 AM

N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! (13199 Views)

I Was Offered Money To Rig Bayelsa Polls, Says INEC Chief / Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff / N21bn Donation Legal, PDP Tells Critics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by Johnnyessence(m): 8:38pm On Dec 25, 2014
The Independent National Electoral Commission has said that only security agencies can investigate any party, person or company that violates any part of the country’s Electoral Act.

The commission which however admitted that it had the power to prosecute violators of the Act, explained that before it could do so, it must have concrete evidence before it.

INEC’s Director of Voter Education and Publicity, Mr. Oluwole Osaze-Uzzi, stated this following an enquiry by The PUNCH on whether the commission would investigate and prosecute the Peoples Democratic Party, companies and individuals who donated over N21.27bn to President Goodluck Jonathan’s electioneering.

Osaze-Uzzi said, “Before you prosecute, won’t you investigate? Before you prosecute somebody, the person has to be investigated. If a person shoots another man on the street, the police cannot just charge him to court. They will have to follow a process.

“Don’t forget that INEC has no powers to investigate. But it has powers to prosecute. It is the security agencies that investigate. We don’t have investigative powers; but we have prosecutorial powers. If they have investigated and found out that somebody was wrong, we will prosecute that person.

“It is after investigation that we can prosecute. And there must be an evidence that a crime has been committed.”

When asked if the commission had contacted any of the security agencies over the issue, he replied: “I can’t say yes or no as of now.”

A national commissioner in INEC, who spoke with our correspondent on the condition of anonymity from Canada, also said he was not aware if security agencies had started probing anyone over the donations.

He said, “I am not aware whether the PDP is under investigation for now. I don’t know and I have not asked. I can find out later or after the holidays.

“Do you know of anybody that spent more money for the party? Do you know anybody who violated the Electoral Act? Are you familiar with the law of donation of money to political parties? If yes, can you tell me one person who has broken that law? Is it a question of whose money or that they have exceeded the limit? Don’t deal with morality, deal with legality.

“There is a limit to what a sitting President can spend. Give me evidence that the President has spent over what he was supposed to have spent. Unofficially, I don’t know if investigation by security agencies is now on because I am out of the country and I have not asked colleagues in relevant departments. There is a process that would be followed.”

When contacted, the Force Public Relations Officer, Emmanuel Ojukwu, said the Police did not know about the donations and the alleged violation of the electoral law by the donors.

“So far, there is no complainant, before us “Ojukwu added.

Some lawyers, including Senior Advocates of Nigeria, had on Tuesday called for the prosecution of the PDP and those who donated the N21. 27bn for electioneering.

They said in separate ineterviews with The PUNCH that the donors breached the Electoral Act by exceeding the limit stipulated by the Electoral Act.

Section 91(9) of the Act reads, “An individual or other entity shall not donate more than N1,000,000 to any candidate.”

Sub-section 10 of the same section adds that a presidential candidate “who knowingly acts in contravention of this section commits an offence and on conviction is liable to a maximum fine of N1m or imprisonment for a term of 12 months or both.”

Section 91(2) of the same Act states, “The maximum election expenses to be incurred by a candidate at a presidential election shall be N1bn.”

Meanwhile, the International Society for Social Justice and Human Rights, has called on the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission to probe the sources of funds donated for Jonathan’s presidential campaign.

The Chancellor of the ISSJHR, Dr. Jackson Omenazu, described the development as a flagrant abuse of the Electoral Act.

Omanazu, in a telephone interview on Wednesday, explained that the donation was aimed at gaining a ‘criminal advantage’ over other political parties.

He observed that since 80 per cent of the donors had at one time or the other been entrusted with public funds, the probability was high that some of them must have mismanaged such.

Omenazu said, “ From our investigation, 80 per cent of the donors are those who are being entrusted with public funds. What they (PDP governors and other donors) have done is to morally kidnap Mr. President so that he will not be able to ask them to give account of how they managed public funds at their disposal.

“The PDP governors should have donated from their individual pockets and not money belonging to their states. It is a flagrant abuse of the required financial regulations and there is a need for EFFC’s intervention.

“Mr. President’s silence is a tacit approval of corruption. Political parties’ fund raising is supposed to come from the grassroots.”
http://www.punchng.com/news/n21bn-donation-we-cant-probe-donors-says-inec/

5 Likes

Re: N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by Johnnyessence(m): 8:39pm On Dec 25, 2014

5 Likes

Re: N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by coolzeal(m): 8:41pm On Dec 25, 2014
Thieves don't probe thieves.

57 Likes

Re: N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by theV0ice: 8:45pm On Dec 25, 2014
coolzeal:
Thieves don't probe thieves.

you sabi dem well well

7 Likes

Re: N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by AdmiralISAAC(m): 8:46pm On Dec 25, 2014
Funny, which security agencies are they talkin abt here? Is it d same security agency dat also contributed dia own quota or d same security agency dat were bought wit rice and chicken.

13 Likes

Re: N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by Nobody: 8:52pm On Dec 25, 2014
Off course we know you can't probe them, because they're your paymasters.
EFCC and ICPC are dead already and the police said they knew nothing about it!!!
Only God can probe them and he will surely probe them.

31 Likes

Re: N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by coolzeal(m): 9:06pm On Dec 25, 2014
theV0ice:

you sabi dem well well
Everybody knows that. Nigeria is a joke.

18 Likes

Re: N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by Sylvarresta(m): 9:11pm On Dec 25, 2014
It's up to our security agents, but unfortunately de are just bunches of toothless old bull dogs

7 Likes

Re: N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by Nobody: 9:14pm On Dec 25, 2014
Is anyone actually expecting INEC to probe any pdp member?

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by falconey(m): 9:15pm On Dec 25, 2014
Even security agency can't probe them....can we inform BOYS SCOUT??

13 Likes

Re: N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by mrofficial(m): 9:17pm On Dec 25, 2014
People that are supposed to enact laws are living like criminals. Please tell me who will jail them.

Sai Buhari.

15 Likes

Re: N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by iluvnaija: 9:27pm On Dec 25, 2014
Is time for Nigerians to probe them with their votes.

APC! Change Jonathan!

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by egift(m): 9:34pm On Dec 25, 2014
The commission which however admitted that it had the power to prosecute violators of the Act, explained that before it could do so, it must have concrete evidence before it.

INEC should be very ashamed of themselves for the Bold. So people announcing the donation themselves is not concrete enough? Am sure if it was APC, all hell in their coven will be let loose.

I guess like the Nigerian Police Force, they too are not aware. The Hypocrisy that is presided over by Jonathan is alarming.

38 Likes

Re: N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by BossAyuk: 9:50pm On Dec 25, 2014
So INEC claims they don't have concrete evidence before the violators of the Electoral Act? This was a programme that was aired on TV where some thieves called governors who haven't paid salaries donated some billions for their "Head Thief". What a big shame.

So INEC claims they're waiting for Security Agencies to investigate this shame? Is it the same Nigerian Police who have equally claimed that they're not aware of the 21billion naira donations?

Or is it the DSS who raided The Opposition Party's office sometime ago claiming they were cloning PVCS and would release evidence soon and up till today (more than one month) haven't released even an ID Card?

Lets see how this plays out. By right, almost 80% of people donated more than 1 million Naira contrary to the Electoral Act and should be prosecuted. Some donated Billions.

How can we expect INEC to give us free and fair elections when they're telling white lies to the public already?

I wonder how some people would still come around here and type "GEJ till 3099".

It's a Big Shame.

78 Likes 11 Shares

Re: N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by KHAYGOLD(m): 10:13pm On Dec 25, 2014
Is INEC really independent? All I know is that if you fail to conduct free and fair election in 2015, Nigeria will be unrest and we should all go our separate ways.

9 Likes

Re: N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by godsamist: 10:23pm On Dec 25, 2014
PDP for 16 solid years has succeeded in murdering Democracy!

34 Likes

Re: N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by Blackchampion(m): 10:30pm On Dec 25, 2014
Ok
Re: N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by Wendyslim(f): 10:31pm On Dec 25, 2014
Toh
Re: N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by UnknownT: 10:31pm On Dec 25, 2014
when asked if the commission had contacted any of the security agencies over the issue, he replied:" I can't say yes or no as of now."
He doesn't want to say Yes or No now and his Oga at the top will say another thing

18 Likes

Re: N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by alotofgrace(m): 10:32pm On Dec 25, 2014
when has INEC become a "forensic" agent for fund raising
Re: N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by tdayof(m): 10:32pm On Dec 25, 2014
Bunch of thieves

4 Likes

Re: N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by IamDejman(m): 10:32pm On Dec 25, 2014
Don't tell me INEC too is Clueless?

10 Likes

Re: N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by horlabiyi(m): 10:32pm On Dec 25, 2014
NIGERIA My Country

2 Likes

Re: N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by oliy24(m): 10:33pm On Dec 25, 2014
I don't know what Jonathan think of us in this country, for God sake, we are 21 century citizen. we don't buy this cheap fraud, because you must not spend more than required limit as the incumbent government, you gave it to your members in crime to act as donor. 21billion donated amoung less than 20 people, well shared.
still dwell in 15 century o, by Feb 2015 u will know how wise Nigerians are now.
I just hope u dont end up in jail

just can't stop thinking how this guy became Nigeria President. Every moves he makes defines him as amateur

7 Likes

Re: N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by Ogbodavies(m): 10:33pm On Dec 25, 2014
you people confuse small stealing as corruption

who said that..

pdp candidate.

5 Likes

Re: N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by Nobody: 10:33pm On Dec 25, 2014
Re: N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by InwehAkpevwe(m): 10:34pm On Dec 25, 2014
Rich man when thief money dem nor dey see their faces for crime fighter... Poor man when thief money na only them efcc dey probe! God help/Bless Nigeria!

5 Likes

Re: N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by gen2briz(m): 10:34pm On Dec 25, 2014
Yes we know you can't........ But when the time comes, the right people will surely do.

SAI BUHARI 2015

5 Likes

Re: N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by colossus2: 10:34pm On Dec 25, 2014
Alright
Re: N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by Nobody: 10:34pm On Dec 25, 2014
Shame on Nigeria - i have lost hope in this cesspit called nigeria, you all jonathan people who want to crack skulls because of Buhari, please do break your heads coz i dont give a damn anymore

8 Likes

Re: N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! by braintext(m): 10:35pm On Dec 25, 2014
i can see

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Yorubas Are The Problem With Nigeria - By Sanusi Lamido Sanusi (1999) / Ajimobi Donates Uniform To Pupils Of Ifesowapo Community Primary School (photos) / Benue: Buhari Queries Police IG, Demands Full Report Of Police Operations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.