Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,990 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:44 AM

Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica (26090 Views)

Tinubu's Solution To Nigeria's Economic Problems / Buhari Could Not Fill His Presidency Form . PHOTO / Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by Doyin2(m): 7:00pm On Jan 02, 2015
Truth is constant.No amount of blackmail would derail the calmour for CHANGE!

[Buharinomics was General Buhari’s economic program marshaled out to salvage the nation in 1984. He summarized the objective of his economic policy (as articulated in the 1984 budget) as follows: "To arrest the decline in the economy, to put the economy on a proper course of recovery and solvency, and to chart a future course for economic stability and prosperity" (West Africa, May 14, 1984). He had previously done similarly, in March while receiving the visiting Sudanese President, Gaafar Nimeiri. Upon his inquiring of what the new military government had in mind for the nation it then ruled, Buhari said to him: "The priority [of his administration] is for economic recovery, providing employment opportunities, improving people's living conditions, consolidating internal security and ensuring foreign respect" (Africa Now, March 1984). In a nutshell, Buharinomics set out to arrest the decline in the economy and refocus it towards recovery.

Buharinomics was to wean the nation off consumerism and profligacy, while channeling it towards frugality and productivity. To accomplish this, the government was to cut down on its expenditure, engage in more efficient restricting and controlling of foreign exchange outflow, undertake the revival of the country's productive capacity (concentration was on agriculture), and broaden government's revenue base.

The first test of Buharinomics was implemented to revive the comatose banking industry and arrest local currency hoarding. In April 1984, the government ordered a change in the color of the Naira. This action was dubbed the “real coup” by unscrupulous business men and politicians who had almost eliminated the need for commercial banking in Nigeria by keeping their moneys under their mattresses or by trafficking them into neighboring West African countries.

This currency change, which forced all holders of the naira notes into exchanging them for the new naira notes at commercial banks, infused billions that had remained unaccounted for into the banking industry and eliminated counterfeited currencies, which had inflicted inflationary and other nefarious effects on the economy. This measure had an immediate revitalizing effect in the banking industry and was an unqualified success. Banks that were close to collapsing became vibrant again, to the extent that some of them began to hire hitherto unemployed Nigerians.
To cut down on government expenses, the federal work force was cut by 30% and imports for 1984 pegged at 4 billion pounds (mostly on basic foodstuffs, spare parts, and raw materials for local industries), against 14 billion pounds spent in 1983. To ensure that Nigeria remained respectable on the international business world, Buhari committed to honoring Nigeria’s debt payment schedule irrespective of the limited earning potential of Nigeria. In August 1984, Buhari was on one of his meet-the-people nationwide tours, which he began as soon as the administration got on its feet. Everywhere he went, the people embraced him, coming out en mass and ushering him tumultuous cheers and unreserved applause.In one of his speeches to the people (this one in Owerri), he reiterated Nigeria’s commitment to honoring its debts, the dire economic situation notwithstanding. "The task of this administration is how to persuade Nigerians to understand that for a number of years to come, we would be paying debts, the roads may be long and thorny but we believe that on our shoulders lies the responsibility to save our fatherland from devastation that has resulted from mismanagement" (Newswatch, February 18, 1985).

Buhari could not have been any more correct in his statement above. Assuming Nigeria took no further loans, its breakdown of loan repayments was as follows: 3.9 billion naira ($4.4 billion) in 1985, 3.7 billion naira ($4.19 billion) in 1986, 2.8 billion naira ($3.2 billion) in 1987, until a decrease to 703 million in 1991 (Concord Weekly, May 6, 1985). Nigeria’s precarious financial situation made it impossible for it to finance capital projects and meet up its balance of payment obligations. With oil export pegged at 1.3 million barrels per day by OPEC, borrowing from external sources became necessary. To this effect, Nigeria proposed borrowing 1.795m naira to finance its capital project from the IMF. The patriotism with which General Buhari handled Nigeria’s dealings with the IMF was the highlight and beauty of Buharinomics.

In order to qualify for the loan, IMF gave Nigeria certain conditions which must be met. In 1984 when the naira exchanged for $1.34, the IMF demanded a minimum of 60% devaluation of it. Buhari refused, agreeing only to a "crawling peg"—a mechanism whereby government would realign the currency gradually, forestalling or minimizing economic and social dislocations because of such drastic devaluation of its currency. In addition to the devaluation of the naira, IMF demanded that government took other drastic actions: (a) The government must remove its subsidy on petroleum. (b) It must curtail its expenditure. (c) Government must rationalize its tariff structures. (d) It must put a freeze on its wages. (e) It must put a total end of non-statutory transfers to State governments, (f) Government must at least institute a 30% raise on interest rates—government resisted this because the decline in its revenue earnings and its debt obligations made it almost impossible to raise interest rates without triggering inflation (West Africa, May 14, 1984).]
Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by agabaI23(m): 7:04pm On Jan 02, 2015
Aitee1:

Hafa... wink
100km from you smiley
Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by Aitee1: 7:07pm On Jan 02, 2015
agabaI23:
100km from you smiley

Really...that's quite close...used to cover that in a jiffy during the time of war grin
Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by Doyin2(m): 7:20pm On Jan 02, 2015
We are patiently waiting for the next blackmail story about the people's general,GMB tongue
Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by lamby(m): 7:25pm On Jan 02, 2015
Those who think buhari fought corruption must have been kids or net yet born as at 1984

It is well known that the War Against Indiscipline (WAI) was carried out by Gen. Tunde IDIAGBON the chief of staff supreme headquarters (vice to Buhari.

Gen Tunde Idiagbon remains one man that I would have voted for for his love for Nigeria and his stance against corruption.

He was lobbied to take appointments by almost all succeeding govts including IBB Regime .

He turned all down stating that Nigerians don't like a good thing and he will never work for any corrupt govt.

Until his death he was not caught smiling because he pitied this country nigeria.

All the partiality and bad things that happened in that regime were the handiwork of Buhari

However he now claims all the good works of his deputy while he denies all atrocities he himself committed
Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by Reference(m): 7:34pm On Jan 02, 2015
kaka22:

Corruption still remains a major problem because of inability of most of our leaders to tackle it head on.Corruption would have probably been a thing of the past if succeeding leaders tackled it like Buhari did. Any attempt to discredit Buhari now will fail because Nigerians know better now. Jonathan has failed woefully and Buhari is the alternative to the status quo. Note that I will vote for Buhari not only because he is the alternative to the status quo but because I believe in him as the change agent.

Of course he may be the agent of change but one will vote for Buhari not because of Buhari but because of what might be achieved. The latter doesn't depend on him alone. Its still the same thing. The problems we have in Nigeria are deep rooted, fundamental. They go way past an individual or regime in terms of time and capacity. That famous line in one of Fela's songs refering to one of the duo saying '....Nigerians are useless, Nigerians are senseless, Nigerians are indisciplined....' expresses their frustrations then as it is today. It was not the ruling class, or Shagari-era politicians they were talking about but Nigerians. The biggest challenge leadership faces anyday, anytime in actualising its programs is the brick wall called the Nigerian. If Buhari thinks he can tackle us alone in 2015 with much less powers then someone must be high on controlled substances. It won't happen. He should just go ahead and rule. Nigerians will fix Nigeria when they and they alone are ready.
Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by agabaI23(m): 7:54pm On Jan 02, 2015
Aitee1:

Really...that's quite close...used to cover that in a jiffy during the time of war grin
Oh really, were you living in Maiduguri? E yaa! Thank God you outran Boko
Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by Nobody: 8:35pm On Jan 02, 2015
caprini1:
I would have loved a Fashola/Rochas combo....it would be a no brainer at least we,ve seen some of the stuffs they are made of,definately not a former Dictator and a Pastor.

Rochas of all people?? That guy is the biggest fraud in Nigerian politics! If he is vp, he would do anything to overthrow Fashola.Ask any average Imolite about his performance so far, and you would know what I mean
Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by caprini1: 8:45pm On Jan 02, 2015
Sacluxpaint:

Rochas of all people?? That guy is the biggest fraud in Nigerian politics! If he is vp, he would do anything to overthrow Fashola.Ask any average Imolite about his performance so far, and you would know what I mean
I don't think so,an average Ibo man and a Yoruba man can only argue and yab one another,but it ends there.The next day ,they start running things together again.
Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by Nobody: 8:52pm On Jan 02, 2015
caprini1:
I don't think so,an average Ibo man and a Yoruba man can only argue and yab one another,but it ends there.The next day ,they start running things together again.
Rochas happens to be ibo by birth,mallam by nature.
Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by Aitee1: 8:56pm On Jan 02, 2015
agabaI23:
Oh really, were you living in Maiduguri? E yaa! Thank God you outran Boko

sad sad sad

Anyways back to the job matter...which do you have for me?
Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by spenca: 9:08pm On Jan 02, 2015
freshness2020:

Bothered?
How on earth will I be bothered about a bigot that has no clue in regards to economic development!

I ask again why are you so bothered ? To think of it, those who call others "bigot" are actually the main "bigots"
Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by robinsoncrosoe: 9:12pm On Jan 02, 2015
Gej u have my vote ......

I must make sure u win

Ride on
Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by caprini1: 9:15pm On Jan 02, 2015
Sacluxpaint:

Rochas happens to be ibo by birth,mallam by nature.
Lolz.....u won't kill me!
Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by freshness2020: 9:21pm On Jan 02, 2015
spenca:

I ask again why are you so bothered ? To think of it, those who call others "bigot" are actually the main "bigots"
Do ♈όϋ seriously wanna know why ?
Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by robinsoncrosoe: 9:22pm On Jan 02, 2015
Jonathan For 2015

"Even though I have said it time and time again that the president should control his wife but there is something significant about Mr. President.

He is the first president without any ties to the military mafia. All his children are in schools here in Nigeria. You cannot come across a skyscraper in any corner of Nigeria and people will tell you it belongs to him; even a seven storey building.

I strongly believe that GEJ is a phenomenal change from before and if we cannot find a better, young alternative, then we must remain with him until we can groom someone better.

This is no time to go back to the military mafia and go back to our vomit"

- Prof. Wole Soyinka
Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by spenca: 9:24pm On Jan 02, 2015
freshness2020:

Do ♈όϋ seriously wanna know why ?

You said it all already. Don't put your fingers under duress
Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by agabaI23(m): 9:27pm On Jan 02, 2015
Aitee1:

sad sad sad

Anyways back to the job matter...which do you have for me?
Why you dey frown naa?
Wetin you study? Pm me the answer
Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jan 02, 2015
One of the major problems in Nigeria is corruption. What we need is somebody that would go after the looters of Government resources... not somebody that says that common stealing is not corruption!
Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by freshness2020: 9:40pm On Jan 02, 2015
spenca:

You said it all already. Don't put your fingers under duress
♈όϋ are really stretching this too far!....but why are this bothered about my quote?
Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jan 02, 2015
If Buhari can come out and say that Fashola would play a big role in his administration, he would get more votes from Lagosians that see Fashola as a Governor that did a good job.

It is obvious that Buhari is not so knowledgeable when it comes to Economics, but one problem that Nigeria needs to solve is Corruption. There should be a fear of corruption among Government officials.

Matthewbriggs:

@ bolded If we were to give awards for the most mischevous thread on this forum you would win. This is fact.

I am not a jonathanian, nor do I exhibt tanisim, All this you tags and name calling propaganda tactics do not work on me. I understand how you think and the propaganda tools you operate with.

The fact is I once made a solemn promise that If fahshola was not chosen as VP I would campaign aggressively against buhari. Because I am of the opinion that he is an economically clueless dictator with no sound Vice president to put him check.

I must commend your effort so far you are one brilliant propagandist. Who using the tools of propaganda is trying to package an economically clueless dictator as the best thing since slice bread.

Happy new year to you too.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by Aitee1: 9:43pm On Jan 02, 2015
agabaI23:
Why you dey frown naa?
Wetin you study? Pm me the answer

Ok boss
Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by Laide20(m): 9:52pm On Jan 02, 2015
Don't mind those people. They are trying to discourage Nigerians from voting for Buhari because they know that when He assume power, He will make our currency compete with theirs.
#GMB, The people's General
Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by ohzee(f): 9:56pm On Jan 02, 2015
docadams:
Contd
Buhari is admired by many for his uprightness and stand against corruption. His government is revered for its ability to keep the country afloat by making progress through sheer economic ingenuity even when it rejected IMF loan and refused to adopt IMF conditionalities to devalue the Naira.[16] His government is praised for its gain in reducing inflation by refusing to devalue the nation's currency, the Nigerian Naira, curbing imports of needless goods, curtailing oil theft and using counter trade policy to barter seized illegally bunkered crude oil for needful goods like machineries, enabling it to export above its OPEC quota.[1]

The economic principles and political ideology of the Buhari military government is called Buharism by some political and economic analysts.

Please my dear, don't remind me of the economic hardship we faced in 1984 and 1985 under Buhari. I lost my father that year so ours was really terrible. If you hear the word austerity measures, essential commodities and war against indiscipline only once in your life I swear you will run away to Togo. No milk, no rice, no bread for the common man, yet the soldiers and people in power had more than enough. Hungry Nigerians flogged mercilessly and dehumanised by illiterate soldiers in the name of WAI....... sighs.....
Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by AreaFada2: 9:58pm On Jan 02, 2015
kaka22:
No matter the amount of articles/materials digged up by Pdp and their paid agents will stop us from sending the clueless one out of Aso rock, come 2015. No leader can succeed without tackling corruption head on... As bad as you painted Buhari's regime to be, it is not as bad as this clueless administration. Atleast, he(Buhari) had the political will to tackle corruption then and he still has the political will to tackle corruption now... He even recorded some economic successes...

As a military dictator, he could detain anyhow. No evidence, no charge, no trial. Like Alex Ekweme (Shagari's VP) was imprisoned for years, yet no single evidence came up against him.

But Buhari's fellow Fulani Shehu Shagari, the president who supervised what whatever corruption and incompetence his regime was accused of, was only given house arrest and was sipping kunu in an airconditioned mansion.

Selective injustice and intimidation was it.

He only succeeded in setting democracy back by 16 years. (1983-1999). A 16 years old girl is almost too old to marry Senator Yerima. grin

Chai, these ab.oki people, ehn.
Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by tola9ja: 10:05pm On Jan 02, 2015
You see, if you know the history of this country to some extent, you will just be looking at everything like a drama because you know history will repeat itself. Look, when I see people like Asari Dokubo making mouth, I just shake my head & enjoy his comedy. The same man who so loved his people that he sited his private university in Benin Republic. Anyway, take a good look at this man in the picture. His name is DANIEL KANU, and you see the YEAA on his shirt? It stood for Youths Earnestly Ask For Abacha. He was the National Coordinator of YEAA and made tons of money campaigning for Abacha. He organized the infamous 2-million march for General Sani Abacha in Abuja in 1998.

Abacha was preparing to succeed himself & become a civilian president & he needed greedy youths like this guy to blow the lies & spread the propaganda on his behalf. You can see the same hungry youths everywhere on social media today & they think it is everyone that is hungry like them. The only difference is that there was no Facebook or Twitter during Abacha's time. It was that same time the same Prince Arthur Eze who was cursing Igbos who don't support Jonathan some days ago & Arisekola Alao were saying it was either Abacha or Nigeria would break. They said Abacha was sent by God & pushed the man so tey until they pushed him to his grave. Today, the same Eze is donating billions to GEJ and is saying it is either Ebele or Nigeria will fall. Tah!

Daniel Kanu did his job well and he even said that they would die if Abacha did not succeed himself. But Abacha died & Kanu did not kill himself o. As I am writing this, the dude is still alive, enjoying the money. So when you see Asari-Dokubo making mouth that Nigeria will collapse, he will bomb bla bla bla, just ignore him. After Jonathan's loss, he will be the first to run from Nigeria, & where is he going to run to? Benin Republic of course, and that is why he is already setting up all his most important investments there. Nigeria is just a place for him to make money, it is all business for him & other militant leaders who keep shouting they will break Nigeria. They know they cannot survive in a sane Nigeria, they depend on either violence or government patronage to survive. They are no talented wealth-making geniuses. The same Tompolo that is making mouth today ran into hiding when Yar'adua sent warplanes to bomb Gbaramatu Kingdom. Do not worry your head when people say ah, Nigeria will break up, Nigeria will not survive...bleh! They have been saying that since 19 gbogboro. Whoever wins, Nigeria will stand. Nigeria is bigger than Buhari or Jonathan. One man cannot change anything. All of us must come together & do the right thing.

Look around the world, you can count the number of nations that actually broke up, it is not a common occurrence, it is rare. Presidents will come and go, our fatherland will remain because resilience is what defines the Nigerian spirit. We have seen the worst of all: a civil war. I am not just a Nigerian by birth or mouth, my very soul is Nigerian & it transcends the empty words of boastful creek warlord. If anything happens to any politician today, Nigeria continues, life continues, Yar'adua died, nothing happened, very few people even remember Tura'i today, that's life. Do not worry your head over nothing. There will be peace. By the way, I want to ask you to do me a favour. Please na beg I dey beg: GO GET YOUR PVC, and I don't mean polyvinyl chloride, you know what I mean. Thank you

Image credits: Richard Akinnola II

To know more about Abacha and what Daniel Kanu did, read the full story
, click: http://www.naijarchives.com/sani-abacha-nigerias-enigmatic…/

Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by agabaI23(m): 1:31am On Jan 03, 2015
We already know that Buhari failed as a head of state. He did not fight corruption. He instilled fear and fear does not stop corruption. What stops corruption is systemic checkpoints that reports corruption when it is crossed.

Whipping people into line does not do that.
Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by neocortex: 5:50am On Jan 03, 2015
I am not surprised , it is impossible for someone without school cert to manage the economy of a small town, let alone a big country like Nigeria.

Nigeria reject mediocrity.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by Ifebazz(m): 6:32am On Jan 03, 2015
kaka22:
No matter the amount of articles/materials digged up by Pdp and their paid agents will stop us from sending the clueless one out of Aso rock, come 2015. No leader can succeed without tackling corruption head on... As bad as you painted Buhari's regime to be, it is not as bad as this clueless administration. Atleast, he(Buhari) had the political will to tackle corruption then and he still has the political will to tackle corruption now... He even recorded some economic successes...
My stand: I don't like Jonathan cos I'm not enjoying his governance, neither do I see Buhari as a better substitute.
Firstly, Buhari has murdered democracy, hence he will NEVER see democracy again! (ask Macbeth).
Secondly, the pro Buhari dudes are not being rational in their quest to replace Jonathan. Get more credible men up there and I'd listen to your very biased whinings. Osibanjo is being accused of age doctoring, Buhari of certificate, yet you guys don't see any wrong in it.
Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by Leo81(m): 6:35am On Jan 03, 2015
kaka22:
economic success like
Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by excelAGR42: 6:38am On Jan 03, 2015
As for me and ma household its Goodluck all d way, because of the dualization of the Benin Auchi road. This singular project has alleviated our nightmare. I remember the suffering and hardship we used to endure due to government negligence and I don't care attitude. But when GEJ government came in, he appointed a vibrant Hon. minister of works in person of Mike Onolememe who gave us a brand new double lane as well ongoing resurfacing of the old lane by RCC. Today from Eyaen (Uhunmwonde L.G.A) to Ramat park (Ikpoba okha L.G.A) that used to take several hours due to bad road and traffic gridlock is now a story for the gods.
Also GEJ govt has transformed the University of Benin through the immediate past VC in person of Prof. Oshodin and his team who utilized the increased funding from the federal govt to as much as possible bridge the infrastructural gap and decay by building brand new faculties, lecture theatre e.t.c, even my abandoned faculty of Agriculture was not left out.
Let me leave the transformation of Federal Polytechnic Auch for another day.
In the area of electricity GEJ has done well, by completing the Ihobvo power plant which when privatised and operational will guarantee steady uninterrupted power to the host communities in Uhunmwonde L.G.A
Our people say that "he that recognizes and appreciates good things will have more goodwill" from Good luck.
Re: Buhari Could Not Solve The Economic Problems His Regime Faced - Britannica by Tibins(m): 8:53am On Jan 03, 2015
General Overseer of the Latter Rain Assembly and former Vice Presidential candidate under the Congress for Progressive Change, Pastor Tunde Bakare has likened the leading opposition party, All Progressives Congress to the Church of Satan in a parable.

Tunde Bakare said, “APC is like a newly opened church of Satan with the evil as a Pastor which could not be distinguished by Nigerians from a true living Godly Church and hence could be mistaken for a real Church, even when it was made of thieves (Legitimate Pen Robbers), that is why they ganged up against Local Government fiscal Autonomy using crumbs from stolen accumulated wealth to bribe their thievery colleagues at Federal and State house of Assembly.

“It is very clear that the 5 Governors of APC in the west is far richer than their state and they have looted every penny from their state purse. People should be careful of this Rogues,” he added.

http://riversreports.com/2014/02/church-pastor-bakare/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer / Cross River Acquires 20 Innoson Motors Trucks And 200 Waste Collection Bins / Governor Ikpeazu Receives Obasanjo In Abia As He Arrives For A Burial Ceremony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.