Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,870 members, 7,802,803 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:01 PM

The Apple iPhone Thread - Phones (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Apple iPhone Thread (16703 Views)

Xiaomi Is The Apple Of China / PHOTO: Who Bit The Apple Logo / Apple Iphone 6 Release Date, Rumors Update: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by ExInferis(m): 9:31pm On Jan 01, 2009
yellowsn0w now working, left my iphone idle and after 15mins i got full service. no 3g yet though.
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by flyuche(m): 10:11pm On Jan 01, 2009
@Ex. First I said Wal-mart is retailing refurb Iphone for $99, and now at&t, you didn't believe. Djcn said yellowsn0w was out, you said it was a lie. He dropped the download link, you said it doesn't work. Now you said it's working,
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by Djcn: 11:22pm On Jan 01, 2009
The Posts speaks for itself.

djcn link=topic=206711.msg3292953#msg3292953 ]
And now with the just release “yellowsn0w Cydia package “, the long awaited software to unlock the iphone 3g. It becomes easier unlocking ur iphone. That means you can use your iphone with any carrier.  [/quote]

Ex Inferis link=topic=206711.msg3292953#msg3292953:
and Yellowsn0w IS NOT RELEASED YET!!!

djcn link=topic=206711.msg3292953#msg3292953:

01110110 01110100 01100001 01100010 01100101 01110010 00100000 00110110
00110001 00110000 00110110 00110000 00110001 00110111 00110100 00100000
The binary trash posted above "simply" means the software can work with already jailbroken phones

Ex Inferis link=topic=206711.msg3292953#msg3292953:

WRONG AGAIN!!!
the binary above means "vtaber 61060174". vtaber is ROT13 cypher for the word "ignore". ROT13 means "rotate by 13 places", which is a substitution cypher. for example in ROT13 your name Djcn is qwpa, in binary that is 01110001 01110111 01110000 01100001
therefore the binary logica gave above means "ignore 61060174".
61060174 is a blog post on the devteams's blog titled "the man ffrom delmonte-he say YES!. that post warned 3G iphone users NOT to upgrade to the 2.2 firmware because the 02.28.00 baseband was then NOT software unlockable by yellowsn0w.
now theres a yellow sn0w update that does unlock 2.2/02-28-00, therefore "ignore 61060174" means "ignore that post, go ahead and update your iphone 3G to 2.2".

djcn link=topic=206711.msg3292953#msg3292953:

@Ex, u always claim to know too much, and i certainly look forward to what u have to offer out off nairaland. If you don't know something you can zip up your 32.
What do you understand by third party applications?
what do you understand by the simple term "Jailbreak"
You fail to explain why we should use ROT 13 in the decryption process because ROT 13 is not the only cipher out there.
Perform a ROT13 and ROT47 operation on these codes below. very simple

%96 "F:4< qC@H? u@I yF>AD ~G6C %96 {2KJ s@8]
: 2> 8@:?8 E@ A@DE @? ?2:C2=2?5
␁[t 4][t 5]␁[t 4]^@ \0[t 5]   ␁   

[quote author=Djcn:

@EX, please take a while to re-read you posts, it sometimes contradicts itself and i wouldn't know where to place your level of understanding. ur brags takes u nowhere, I reiterate, the yellow snow is out and u can download ur yellowsnow from
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/
goodies to u all.
Spent too much time here today, i'm out of here.

Ex Inferis:

@flyuche
i HAVE proven him wrong, he has proven me right, and is yet to prove me wrong. and to further prove him wrong:

what you gave:

%96 "F:4< qC@H? u@I yF>AD ~G6C %96 {2KJ s@8]
: 2> 8@:?8 E@ A@DE @? ?2:C2=2?5
␁[t 4][t 5]␁[t 4]^@ \0[t 5] ␁

is utter rubbish, not any code known to man. you want to pass it off as code but sorry its rubbish. it lacks any syntax, structure, pattern and relationship found in any software code. therefore its made up garbage, like most of your post.

Ex Inferis:

and don't tell me yellowsn0w is out, ive downloaded and installed and can confirm its not working with MTN, Glo or Etisalat.

Ex Inferis:

yellowsn0w now working, left my iphone idle and after 15mins i got full service. no 3g yet though.

flyuche:

@Ex. First I said Wal-mart is retailing refurb Iphone for $99, and now at&t, you didn't believe. Djcn said yellowsn0w was out, you said it was a lie. He dropped the download link, you said it doesn't work. Now you said it's working,
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by Djcn: 11:39pm On Jan 01, 2009
There, you go again displaing your arrogance in public, superciliousness, immodesty and stiff-neckedness altogether (U alone (4 in 1))

What's wrong in simply saying, "Halt! DJCN i dont understand what you mean, kindly explain" or you would have kept mute, if you don't know the solutions. On the contrary in your usual self-peity, despotic and monocratic behaviour you totally dismissed a simple task.

Now Nairalanders will see your sheer unclothedness and that u simply spit up what others say and at the same time lack the basic fundamentals of what you post.

I was only testing your understanding of ASCII(American Standard Code of Information Interchange) along with your ability to "ROT"
As u have earlier explained ROT-13 simply means "rotate by 13 places", which is a substitution cypher, the same applies for ROT-47 "rotate by 47 places". I had simply left all characters in their ASCII equivalent.

If you understand ASCII very well, then this would be no task. as;

%96 "F:4< qC@H? u@I yF>AD ~G6C %96 {2KJ s@8] translates to "The Quick Brown Fox Jumps Over The Lazy Dog."

: 2> 8@:?8 E@ A@DE @? ?2:C2=2?5 gives us "i am going to post on nairaland"

␁[t 4][t 5]␁[t 4]^@ \0[t 5] ␁ will present "␁,E c.,E d.␁,E c./o -_,E d.␁"

That's all

I've always advised you, don't be stone-headed but just try to be your good self, humble enough to learn.
At least i'm vindicated that your yellowsnow worked.

At this juncture, let me resort to the quotation of John Dewey who said "What is sometimes called an act of self-expression might better be termed one of self-exposure; it discloses character—or lack of character—to others. In itself, it is only a spewing forth".
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by ExInferis(m): 11:35am On Jan 02, 2009
@flyuche

walmart DOES NOT sell 99 dollar iphones, it sells regular priced iphones. AT&T does sell refurbs for that amount.

and when i made that post that yellowsn0w wasnt out, it wanst out AT THAT PARTICULAR MOMENT because i was at the devteam blog (just check the comments or intensedebate) since baybreak uptill the very moment yellowsn0w ws published. if you check the time i made the first post to the time i announced it was out you'll see the time lapse.

and if you care to check all the comments (go back a few pages and you'll see mine) you'll find out that most peolple had similar problems that the unlock didnt work immediately; it took several reboots and removing/reinserting the SIM.

if your insect mind find that hard to believe i dare you to ask anyone you know with an iphone 3G to try yellowsn0w and tell you the result. the links are:

http://apt9.yellowsn0w.com for Cydia, and http://i.yellowsn0w.com for Installer. the link he gave was for the devteam blog and not yellowsn0w's.

@djcn

i have performed the rot47 and indeed your cypher is the simple sentences above. my bad for being lazy not to try, and yours for mashing up the codes in one ugly jumble of garbage. if you give code, give it structure not just pack everything in one tiny space. and you dont simply encode and leave in ascii, thats why most people go binary.

i do then retract my statement that the codes dont make sense.

but that doesnt absolve you of sheer ignorance in all things iphone, and lets keep it right there. you're still to prove me wrong for proving your ramblings about jailbreaking, unlocking and quickpwn as wrong.

im waiting for that.
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by ExInferis(m): 1:36pm On Jan 02, 2009
an iphone theme i just made, in both pxl and zipped formats. its called Neotenized.

Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by Djcn: 1:43pm On Jan 02, 2009
If, u want to get serious, then let's go.But many at time you keep beating around the bush and dragging issues and that often pissed me off.

First on the yellowsnow stuff, u got those links from http://blog.iphone-dev.org/, so what's the difference between me posting these links and you geting it from the site to where you were directed on the blog?.
http://apt9.yellowsn0w.com for Cydia, and http://i.yellowsn0w.com for installer

Then again you brought out the issue of time. Ex, it would have been objective of you if you had simply asked me to provide the links at the time, i boasted that yellowsnow was out. That alone would have solve the whole issue, but you simply dismissed my claims and you are now trying to justify yourself on the basis of time. I think no one(the world over, including the dev-team) can stand on your on this issue.

ROT 5, ROT 13,ROT 18 and ROT 47 are all ROT operations. I had simply left it that way as i said "to know how well you understand ASCII." Goodluck

Whether, i own an iphone or not, i wake up everyday to find one on the way. I had followed the developements judiciously and most likely perform some operations you haven't done and that i know you wouldn't dare.

If you don't understand the basics, it is always difficult knowing the intricate. In what ever, i'm interested in, i endeavore to know the basics. I had earlier ask you, to define some terms and that u choose to ignore, you also delibrately decided "not to read in-between the lines of my sentenses". I hold on to my most powerful comment on which i said that "yellowsnow will work on all jailbroken phones" everyother comment revolves around that and if u feel that is blablabla, i concede.

Hope u're enjoying ur new network.
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by ExInferis(m): 1:52pm On Jan 02, 2009
different wallpaper, tweaked dock and new icons.

@djcn

i repeat, when you said yellowsn0w was out IT WASNT OUT THEN. like i said, i was on the watchlist since 8pm on 31-12-08 uptill the moment it finally came out. if you just check the coments you'll see my whinies as user neoteny, Toxic fumes, MuscleTurd and Inferis right from 24 hours before release. i was sitting in front of my computer and refreshing every five minutes or checking in via my iphone when away from the mac. the devteam initially said the delay was for one member (premumably pitey) to wake up and fix file permission errors, and that was around 9am naijatime. they made several updates before the release finally came late afternoon.

look, i have an iphone 3G, you don't, since i have a stake in this chances are while i was intensely waiting all day for the release you were doing whatever it is you do and casually dropping in to check. i made the first post in nairaland about yellowsn0w, date of release etc and that shows you i was intently following the devteam developments. if there is anybody here in NL that followed the blog they can testify the unlock came just before my post, after your misleading one.

but if you really crave credit, then by all means have it: world, djcn was the first to post that yellowsn0w was out. . there, you happy now?

you can now be smug, and wallow in the triviality of who said what first, its afterall the pastime of lesser men.

PS: your most powerful comment was" yellowsnow will work on all jailbroken phones"?

jesus.

every nitwit worth his keyboard knows that! its always a requirement of unlocking right from the early days! you're not telling us anything new.

look, we can either be constructive in developing this thread, or bicker endlessly about very mundane and excruciatingly boring issues.

your call.

Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by flyuche(m): 2:03pm On Jan 02, 2009
Ex Inferis:

you can now be smug, and wallow in the triviality of who said what first, its afterall the pastime of lesser men.

it's enough. no more insults. scientists don't talk like this. lets make this thread very informative and educating for the benefit of all nairalanders. both you guys are good(and me too grin). i think you can work together. put this ego thing aside. please Ex. please Djcn.
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by ExInferis(m): 2:09pm On Jan 02, 2009
flyuche:

it's enough. no more insults. scientists don't talk like this. lets make this thread very informative and educating for the benefit of all nairalanders. both you guys are good(and me too grin). i think you can work together. put this ego thing aside. please Ex. please Djcn.

hey, im game if he can afford not to go thermal anytime i disagree with him.
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by flyuche(m): 2:48pm On Jan 02, 2009
i think nlanders will find this link helpful:http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/01/01/how-to-unlock-your-3g-iphone/
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by Djcn: 3:50pm On Jan 02, 2009
Ex Inferis:

hey, I'm game if he can afford not to go thermal anytime i disagree with him.

Hope we both abide the rules of the game.

@Ex, information is power, and when we have access to more than the right information, then you become more powerful. Yellowsnow was released as and when promised, it would be out. I rest my case.

I'm happy that you now know that we don't enjoy the bickering or getting involved in mudane arguments, and so maybe sometimes you or i or both of us just choose to go lingering.

with all rectitude, i doff for you. cheesy cheesy cheesy Maybe i'll borrow just to get an iphone 3G. undecided undecided undecided thx
I've called it a day here.
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by ExInferis(m): 5:31pm On Jan 02, 2009
ive had this since yesterday. network comes on and off. its in version .0.4 now. still buggy. notice the No Service notification.

Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by ExInferis(m): 5:59pm On Jan 02, 2009
I applied the .0.9.4 yellowsn0w update and now I have full service 3G than I ever had with that crappy Gevey sim proxy. I probably now have nairaland's first software unlocked iPhone 3G!  I'm posting this from the iPhone.
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by logica(m): 6:22pm On Jan 02, 2009
lol. nice thing u said "probably". grin
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by flyuche(m): 6:47pm On Jan 02, 2009
Ex Inferis:

I applied the .0.9.4 yellowsn0w update and now I have full service 3G than I ever had with that crappy Gevey sim proxy. I probably now have nairaland's first software unlocked iPhone 3G!  I'm posting this from the iPhone.
congrats! now i am getting the $99 iphone.
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by texazzpete(m): 9:59pm On Jan 02, 2009
flyuche:

congrats! now i am getting the $99 iphone.

You were too busy trying to score points here that you did not realise that it's $99 with a two year contract. And believe me, AT & T aremeticulous in making sure that you do not walk out of the store without a 2 year contract signed, especially on the refurbs which are usually hot sellers.
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by BossTtdiamonds(m): 1:56am On Jan 03, 2009
texazzpete:

You were too busy trying to score points here that you did not realise that it's $99 with a two year contract. And believe me, AT & T aremeticulous in making sure that you do not walk out of the store without a 2 year contract signed, especially on the refurbs which are usually hot sellers.
Your source . . .
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by naijafan(m): 8:01am On Jan 03, 2009
@Everyone
I was gone, but now. . . i'm back. (i guess tongue)
by the way. . . the rate at which this thread has gone off-topic is alarming but i still appreciate ex inferis' maturity in pulling things back together. obviously, djcn simply wanted to speak. very good my friend, you have spoken. Now, can you please get back to discussing things which you are well-informed about? thanks.

@Boss tt
i must say that you have not in anyway contributed wisely to this thread. i suggest you either go back to pctalknigeria.com or simply read this thread while avoiding the temptation to click on the reply button. i know its hard, but you can try. grin

@flyuche
if constructive criticism isnt your thing, no problem. but dont come to an Apple iPhone Thread and try converting it to a Symbian vs. Mac OSx thread or something of the sort. Further off-topic posts would be deleted

You said something about the iPhone users in here being just gadget users. Can i ask how many Symbian applications you've personally developed? I on the other hand can tell you how much i played with the "Jiggy" framework on 1.1.4 before I upgraded to 2.*. I still hope Saurik completes the port. I havent tried out the iPhone SDK itself simply because I dont have a Mac but trust me, its one of the easiest to use out there. Believe it or not. As much as I love the symbian platform, i never attempted to develop on it cos of the clumsy SDK. It'll take me less time to write an iPhone app to track how many silly posts you make on nairaland than you'll take to display "Hello World" on a Nokia N95. OK, maybe i exaggerated but Symbian's SDK is that bad!

@Ex
did you call me one of the greatest minds on nairaland embarassed i'd have called you that if i was asked too. wink Did you read Saurik's todo-list on cydia? [http://cydia.saurik.com/todolist.html] damn that guy is a genius. I wish I could have all that (or something close) on my list too. Then I'll know that my social life, which isnt nowhere yet. . . is lost for good. grin

One more thing, can Apple please include SMS Delivery Reports in their roadmap for the next firmware? So many undelivered / delayed SMSs this season. And no, they weren't 'Happy new year' sturvs. Lord knows how much i hate such messages. grin
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by naijafan(m): 8:14am On Jan 03, 2009
@djcn
Jailbreaking doesnt necessarily mean ability to install third-party applications. Take the Android for instance. Anyone can write apps that target the Android and distribute them without worrying whether the destination device is jailbroken or not. To jailbreak (on UNIX-like operating systems) simply means opening up root access just as Ex Inferis stated earlier. Just like an earlier build of the Android ended up jailbroken as well.

A definition from wikipedia:
Privilege escalation (Jailbreaking) is the act of exploiting a bug in a software application to gain access to resources which normally would have been protected from an application or user.

you can read here for more information
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privilege_escalation

hope that helps you a bit. wink
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by flyuche(m): 9:41am On Jan 03, 2009
[s]@flyuche
if constructive criticism isnt your thing, no problem. but don't come to an Apple iPhone Thread and try converting it to a Symbian vs. Mac OSx thread or something of the sort. Further off-topic posts would be deleted

[/s]

that's why you are called a moderator. there must be opposing views. do you expect us all to drift in the same direction?
the "tension soaked" exchange of opinions( you have no right to call anybody's opinion stupid) if for anything has made this thread very interesting. i enjoyed myself. nothing personal.
we know you have root privileges,but pls don't bully anyone
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by logica(m): 9:46am On Jan 03, 2009
The purpose of jailbreaking on the iPhone OS is mainly to install 3rd Party apps. The security model of Android is different from iPhone OS, that's why u may not need to jailbreak Android to install 3rd Party apps. If i remember correctly, an app in Android runs in its own sandbox, independent of other apps, and with user privileges all of its own. On the other hand, for an app to run in iPhone OS, root privileges are required.
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by ExInferis(m): 10:30am On Jan 03, 2009
@logica
The purpose of jailbreaking is primarily to free up userland and abstracted layers with root access. Apps do not really need it as long as they incorporate proper root certificates. Now since obviously the coders of cydia/installer apps do not have access to apples signing toolkits they created a payload in the jailbreak process that allows apps to be signed with arbitrary certs. The official sdk contains official rootcerts therefore official apps from the appstore Which fall under the category of 3rd party apps do not need jailbreaking.

In sum, jailbreaking is not just to install 3rd party apps, it's to also allow tools and code have root privileges in order to allow foreign code and mods like winterboard.

@naijafan

Glad to see you back, things were getting out of hand. Jay freeman is one cool dude.
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by logica(m): 12:24pm On Jan 03, 2009
my guy, why this cyclic argument?  grin

In sum, jailbreaking is not just to install 3rd party apps, it's to also allow tools and code have root privileges in order to allow foreign code and mods like winterboard.

what's the difference between "3rd party apps" and "tools and code"?

Naijafan:

You can receive SMS Delivery Notification by affixing the code "*N#" to the SMS message. Example, the message "Testing delivery notification" will be sent as "*N# Testing delivery notification". This works for most networks (I can verify Etisalat as I have not tried the rest), as the code is dependent on the network of the SMS recipient. You can check online for more on the code.
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by Djcn: 6:38pm On Jan 03, 2009
I had left this thread diplomatically and peacefully to ensure the developement of the thread as it were.

@naijafan
Ben Johnson said "Ramp up my genius, be not retrograde;
But boldly nominate a spade a spade.

With due respect I don't appreciate ur jaundiced,phony and unenthusiastic comments, you're unwittingly breaking one of the rules as a Moderator, which will put you in a bad light as a Mediator. Being a conciliator, means your posts should be extemporaneous and thoughtful.
In a popular computer magazine, there was an unconfirmed report that some critisms in a particular forum had largely assisted Apple corp in developing new products.
The posts here are not necessarily meant for you nor for you to adjudge, arbitrate or critize. (nothing personal) cool

On jailbreaking, I don't always appreciate delibrating on frozen and already footed issues.
you're riding to a point, thanks for the links, they were really helpful, but as logical stated the Android platform is a different ballgame altogether.

My definition never caused a chaos in a forum exclusively dedicated to the iphone.

Pytey, a member of the iphone dev-team had similarly made such a comment telling you that "jailbreaking" has a constrained meaning with respect to the iphone.

I think we're looking more at the Grammer rather than the meaning of the term with its sources and derivatives.

Gilbert burnet in referring to how the use of language can sometimes dissect rather than assist us said "A great error to waste young gentlemen's years so long in learning Latin by so tedious a grammar rather than simply understanding themselves."

Ex Inferis:

@naijafan
Glad to see you back, things were getting out of hand. .

Really, You never told me and i think that's unfair. tongue
Another snow is already behind ur back.

QED
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by flyuche(m): 7:59pm On Jan 03, 2009
i only hope the mod does not lock the thread so that we will have to do some jailbreaking to have our third party posts read grin
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by naijafan(m): 11:25pm On Jan 03, 2009
@logica
applications on the iPhone run in a sandbox as well. Thanks for the delivery notification h'ack, i'll try that.

@ex
yea. are you into iphone app development? if u arent, we could trade systems  tongue

@djcn
you've got a way with words. you could put that to good use by researching before making posts. any iphone n00b reading the third and fourth page of this thread would end up confused. and you know that wink

@flyuche
i never called anyone's opinions stupid. except using the phrase 'silly posts' developed a new meaning overnight!
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by ExInferis(m): 10:38am On Jan 04, 2009
@naijafan

I'm registered for the apple dev program and downloaded the sdk. got all the articles on the dev support page. Not working on any app right now but working with the kit is a bit like vb. Xcode is cool.

May sell the other MacBook if I can get our resident beggars off my back.

Working on a few themes on iPhone simulator.
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by cabali(m): 6:58pm On Jan 04, 2009
@ ex

The theme you created, neotinized, thats great!! looks pretty too
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by samir101ng(m): 8:38pm On Jan 04, 2009
Hello everyone,  grin grin grin

Sorry to butt in on your "serious discussions" but i need a little help. I am an Iphone newbie. I recently swapped phones with a friend of mine and got his 1st generation Iphone 8GB model. It was already unlocked and jailbroken with anysim. It had the 1.1.1.4 firmware installed together with installer. After much googling and wikin, i had gathered enough knowledge to upgrade the firmware and unlock it using Quickpwn 2.2 for windows. Am proud to say it was a success with no problems encountered. I installed both cydia and installer and have been using them to download cool apps. Now, my main problem is i have downloaded a lot of themes both from cydia and installer but i don't see them or know how to activate them on the iphone. I have googled round some iphone themes sites but have not gotten a satisfactory answer. I have read about summerboard, winterboard but they are all too confusing. My question now is, how do i install & activate iphone themes downloaded from cydia or installer ? Thank you.  smiley smiley
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by logica(m): 9:59am On Jan 05, 2009
@naijafan

The iPhone OS model cannot be called a sandbox model if applications require root access to run.
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by naijafan(m): 10:18am On Jan 05, 2009
@ samir101ng
Summerboard is a thing of the 1.1.* era. Winterboard is the thing right now.

Search Cydia for Winterboard and install it. Open Winterboard and select the theme you want to enable. Dont select two themes that mod the same portion of the phone at once (I really havnt tried it so i dont know what'll happen wink)

That's all about themes.

@logica
Appstore apps dont exactly require root access to run.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

FG Extends NIN-SIM Verification Deadline Till End Of The Year / New Airtel Data Plan? / Perfect Guide In Buying Android Phone That Will Best Suit You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.