Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,368 members, 7,800,740 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:07 AM

Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 (43272 Views)

If You Watched This Series, You Are Too Older Than You Think / Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2013 / What Was The Last Movie You Watched - Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by Nobody: 1:59am On Dec 30, 2014
*******Also check Top 10 Nollywood Movies of 2013

Hello people, yo yoh yoh wassup! Me and my backyard crew are back again with our list of top Nollywood films. Okay, I think I've almost exhausted the list of "New Nollywood" films that were released at the time I haven't started paying attention, so my list this year is populated with 2014 films, cos I tried not to miss many films (I can't wait ten years for DVD release cheesy). This year had the release of many highly anticipated films to keep us glued to the screens - just that, a huge number of them were disappointing. What we can't deny however is the fact that, a lot of films were released to the cinemas this year (for the first time, there's no month I opened a cinema's website and atleast 3 or 4 Nollywood films were not showing....infact, it significantly increased towards the end of the year). Same way, Nollywood had the lowest number of video/idumota releases this year (thanks to pirates wey don helep us spoil their marketu finish! *apologies to the professional filmmakers out there that this piracy issue affects, but maybe its just God's way of cleansing the film industry grin *). Personally, I wasn't that impressed with most Nollywood films I watched this year; not because they were worse than the ones I watched last year (infact, they improved significantly), but because the movies I watched last year made my expectations for the coming years to be raised abnormally. Back to business of the day, here are the top 10 Nollywood films I watched this year, I also considered some factors in my ranking like critical reception. Enjoy! And don't forget to add yours wink:

10. Mother of George

Starring: Isaach de Bankole, Danai Gurira, Bukky Ajayi, Tony Okungbowa, Yaya Alafia
Release Year: 2013
Production House: Parts & Labor, Ajiwe Fun Orisha
Director: Andrew Dosunmu
Genre: Drama
Budget: N130 million ($750,000)
NOTES: Okay... if I am to list my top Nigerian films, this probably won't make my top 50! But it received critical acclaim....so you might just check it out. If you are a filmmaker, this film is definitely a must for you, cos it is artistically nuance! But as an audience, we are not just in the theatre to watch the artistic nature of a film....we want to be entertained!....well, you just might like this film or probably hate it! If you are a western audience, you may like the story....but Nigerians and Africans in general have seen this story one million and one times! So the plus point should be on how its told....I don't know if its told well or not...just check it out! BTW.. if you hate slow films, just don't bother yourself to watch this...cos this film has a sleep-inducing slowness!

9. Render to Caesar

Starring: Wale Ojo, Gbenga Akinnagbe, Omoni Oboli, Bimbo Manuel, Dede Mabiaku
Release Year: 2014
Production House: Mighty Man Entertainment
Director: Onyekachi Ejim, Desmond Ovbiagele
Genre: Crime thriller
Budget: N50 million (I think I read somewhere like that)
NOTES: This film has a nice premise that could turn out great, but somewhere in execution it fails.....maybe in the directing, maybe in technical details. Despite the flaws, it is still worth watching. It was nice to see Wale Ojo on the big screen once more! where did you go to after Phone Swap?

8. A Place in the Stars

Starring: Gideon Okeke, Segun Arinze, Yemi Blaq, Matilda Obaseki, Dejumo Lewis
Production House: Native FilmWorks
Director: Steve Gukas
Genre: Crime thriller
Budget: N160 million
NOTES: This film has been in production for 7 years now, and its kinda obvious. Maybe if this film was released like 4 years ago, it would've been "brilliant". But, at this point in Nollywood, I feel like the industry has passed certain lapses that exist in the film. Overall, this film has a good story, a good message and a great music score!!! Make sure you watch it! A friendly advice to Gideon Okeke cheesy, better up your game in 2015. You're becoming a critical disaster already, when you've barely started your big screen career! Why? Not good.

7. Contract

Starring: Hlomla Dandala, Yvonne Okoro, Joseph Benjamin
Release Year: 2012
Production House: Sparrow Productions
Director: Shirley Frimpong Manso
Genre: Romantic comedy
Budget: N/A
NOTES: This film is a very nice film! funny and realistic sort of. Yvonne Okoro was brilliant and convincing as usual! Joseph Benjamin was being the usual Joseph Benjamin in his acting. This film is just a feel good movie that will have you laughing out loud while watching.

6. Being Mrs Elliot

Starring: Omoni Oboli, Majid Michel, AY Makun, Uru Eke, Lepacious Bose, Chika Chukwu (Phone Swap, The Meeting)
Production House: Dioni Visions
Director: Omoni Oboli
NOTES: This is another feel good movie. Very funny!....Kinda slapstick, which I'm not a fan, but still is worth watching! See what the new director on the block has come up with cheesy wink

5. Finding Mercy

Starring: Uti Nwachukwu, Blossom Chukwujekwu, Rita Dominic, Desmond Elliot, Chioma Chukwuka, Biola Segun Williams, Tamara Eteimo
Release Year: 2013
Production House: Denziot Productions
Director: Desmond Elliot
NOTES: LOL, I can't believe I discouraged Villageboi from watching this film just because it has "Desmond Elliot" on it. Lol okay, to say I hate any Desmond Elliot film is an understatement..based on the fact that, before now, he has never directed any film that turns out sensible...they always reeked "bad directing" all over. "Finding Mercy" is quite different. A friend of mine gave me a DVD of this film in order to try to change my opinion of Desmond Elliot....and for a change, Desmond actually directs a film!!! HALLALUJAH!!! Don't get me wrong, "Finding Mercy" isn't 'brilliant'....just that, it's such a pleasant surprise from Desmond Elliot that you feel its 'brilliant', since typically, you go into the theatre expecting NOTHING from Mr Elliot. Biko, Desmond make a film better than this, and you'd have my heart again! smiley. BTW, it's not only Desmond, Uti has also grown as an actor! It's kinda cool to see Biola Segun Williams in a different role, where she doesn't have to speak with that her accent. Overall, Kudos to everyone involved!

4. Black November

Starring: Hakeem Kae-Kazim, Mbong Amata, Mickey Rourke, Kim Basinger, Sarah Wayne Callies, Vivica Fox, Nse Ikpe Etim, Anne Heche, OC Ukeje, Persia White, Akon, Wyclef Jean
Release Year: 2012
Production House: Wells and Jeta Entertainment
Director: Jeta Amata
Genre: Action drama
Budget: N2 billion
NOTES: Now this film has a story that could turn out to be very gripping, with a powerful message....but somehow somehow, the story telling kinda disappoints. It seems they spent more of all that budget paying the "Star-studded" cast and crashing vehicles, than they did in investing in a good screenplay. However, "Black November" has some Nollywood-never-seen-before car stunts. Anyone who thinks "A Place in the Stars" is the first (Nollywood producers and always claiming false firsts) car crash stunt in Nollywood has definitely not seen "Black November"...Not only does "Black November" precede "A Place in the Stars" (even though I won't still say Black November is the first Nollywood film with car stunts), it also has more extensive car stunt sequences, which are arguably better than the chase scene in "A Place in the Stars". This film is worth watching, it exposes the plight of the people in the Niger Delta...the people feeding the rest of Nigeria with their oil, while they suffer the poverty and water pollution.

3. Half of a Yellow Sun

Starring: Chiwetel Ejiofor, Thandie Newton, Anika Rose, Genevieve Nnaji, Onyeka Onwenu, OC Ukeje, John Boyega
Release Year: 2014 (theatrical)
Production House: Shareman Media, Slate Films
Director: Biyi Bandele
Budget: N1.6 billion
NOTES: Okay, where do I start? This film is obviously the most popular Nigerian film of 2014...many controversies here and there (Casting bruahaha. Producers claiming its the first Nollywood film to premiere at TIFF, also flagging the film as the most expensive film from Nigeria; both claims turning out to be false. etc....) Well, I like this film, not because the story was WELL TOLD - far from it! Rather, I commend its ambitiousness. It also has very high production values (Atleast we can see where all that money went to, since it obviously didn't go into a brilliant screenplay, neither did it go into a good business/distribution plan)! The film is worth watching anyway....It's actually kinda okay, especially when you try not to take any expectations along with you into the theatre....or consider all the chest beatings of the filmmakers.

2. When Love Happens

[img]http://2.bp..com/-Hbm5xTyPLNw/VBnFyv15GzI/AAAAAAAA_mk/rxw5w7r9MJo/s1600/when%2Blove%2Bhappens3.jpg[/img]

Starring: Weruche Opia, Gideon Okeke, Oreka Godis, OC Ukeje, Beverly Naya, Shaffy Bello, Bassey Ekpeyong, Desmond Elliot, Bukky Wright, Wale Ojo
Production House: Future Gate Pictures, PHB Films
Director: Seyi Babatope
NOTES: I saw the trailer of this film, and I was impressed already! The good thing about this film is; you get exactly what you expect from watching trailer. There are certain things I was super-impressed with watching this film - one is SOUND!!!!!!! Mehn! well mixed and balanced. This is an aspect even many new Nollywood films don't pay attention to....yeah, we can hear what they say now (unlike years of holding on to our remote control), but there is a good feeling you get when a film sound so pleasant to the ears. The saving grace of this film is also the fact that it doesn't try to outdo itself.....it's just in its comfort zone and didn't slack....I hold this believe that it's not exactly the boundaries you've pushed, but how well you've done it - whatever is worth doing at all is worth doing well. Apart from being one of best Nigerian films of 2014 for me, WLH is arguably the best romcom I watched in 2014 (Hollywood, Nollywood, and anyother woods). My initial concern about this film was the performance, but I was pleasantly surprised. the performances were not brilliant, but definitely up to par, kudos! And The girls!!!! They are such eye candies! Oreka Godis! *Sighs* I'm in love with you cheesy....I no know sey you fine reach like this in "Gidi Up" ooo....more of Oreka on screen please smiley....Point of note though, I don't know why I keep feeling this may be the type of roles you'd be able to pull off, and you may slack in emotionally driven roles....but who cares anyway? We want Oreka! A very very nice feel good movie. Predictable as with all romantic comedy, but watch!

1. October 1

Starring: Sadiq Daba, Demola Adedoyin, Kayode Olaiya, Kehinde Bankole, Kanayo O. Kanayo, Fabian Lojede, Femi Adeboayo, Bimbo Manuel, Ibrahim Chatta
Production House: Golden Effects
Director: Kunle Afolayan
Genre: Psychological thriller
Budget: N330 million
NOTES: Well, I guess many people would agree this is the best movie out of Nigeria this year. It's like a compensation for all the BS-to-average films I've been watching through the year. This film is arguably the most popular Nigerian film of 2014, after 'Half of a Yellow Sun'; but unlike HOAYS, it lived up to its hype. very good storytelling. brilliant costume and set design. On point direction. infact, salute to everyone involved...Kehinde Bankole, I was kinda keeping a tab after seeing her in last year's thriller film "Awakening"; now she's finally proven that she's a very very good actress! Demola Adedoyin is good! and a first timer for that matter...I expect to see more of him smiley. This movie is for everyone.... you just can't hate it! You may not like it, but you can't hate it!

looking forward to:
Heaven's Hell by Katung Aduwak (coming January 2015)
'76 by Izu Ojukwu (coming soon) - can we atleast know wetin stalk the release of this film? abi dem don shelve am?
The Department by Remi Yaughn-Richards (coming January 2015)
Dry by Stephanie Linus (released 2014)
Dazzling Mirage by Tunde Kelani (released 2014)

Criteria - As usual; Superb story/plot, Excellent Production values (Visuals, Sound, Directing, Music Score and 'attention to details' etc) etcetera.....

ACTORS OF THE YEAR!
Criteria:
My actors of the year refer to the stars who acted quite a number of movies between year 2012/2013....well....it might also translate to good acting Qualities.

MALE
Blossom Chukwujekwu

Actually, OC Ukeje still leads the pack in this aspect, but I didn't want to pick him this year again! but sha, I need to meet the guy's manager! He keeps getting roles; the three films that has been announced for January 2015 again has OC in it, kilode?!!!! There's Godu o! Moving on away from OC; I was torn between choosing Alexx Ekubo and Blossom, but I chose Blossom anyway for whatever reasons. One thing common with these two that I should probably note is that I've only seen them (especially Alexx) in mostly Royal Arts Academy movies. I always have this notion that if you are getting roles only in a particular production house, it's probable that you get roles for other reasons other than acting skills...eg longleg. Anyway, I actually chose Blossom cos I think he is a better actor (hope Alexx fans won't cut off my head).....one to watchout for!

List of Movies featured in year 2013 through 2014 - Flower Girl, Finding Mercy, Knocking on Heaven's Door, When Love Happens...He also featured in TV series like "Shuga Naija" and the upcoming "A Taste of Love". Way to go!

FEMALE
Kehinde Bankole

[img]http://4.bp..com/-MZzz9IyOFjc/UveMvbXqpEI/AAAAAAAALvQ/RmvkW6Cf9LA/s1600/Kehinde+Bankole+-+Sweet+%284%29.jpg[/img]
Last year, after watching "Awakening" my eyes were kinda on Kehinde Bankole....and boom! She got her big break on the big screen this year! She acted well in the film "Render to Caesar", but she's amazing in "October 1". This girl is good and I think she's here to stay! And she's soooo beautiful!!! Fyn geh no pimple, I love your dimple cheesy ...

List of Movies featured in year 2013 through 2014 - Awakening, Facade, Render to Caesar, October 1

Now the ground is open, add yours. Your top movies, the movies you are watching out for in 2015 and your

best actors this year! wink. Enjoy the fun smiley.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by LogoDWhiz(m): 2:05am On Dec 30, 2014
Who still watches nollywood movies?

Given up on them long time ago!

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by Nobody: 2:34am On Dec 30, 2014
LogoDWhiz:
Who still watches nollywood movies?

Given up on them long time ago!
Congratulations! smiley grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by LogoDWhiz(m): 2:45am On Dec 30, 2014
speedyboi:

Congratulations! smiley grin

Thanks.

BTW, have u watched 30 days in Atlanta?

8 Likes

Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by adebayo201: 3:31am On Dec 30, 2014
Be that as it may, where can one download these movies for free now!

I can still see these movies unlike some directionless movies!

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by Nobody: 3:52am On Dec 30, 2014
LogoDWhiz:

Thanks.

BTW, have u watched 30 days in Atlanta?
What does it matter to you?....you don't watch Nollywood films smiley

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by GboyegaD(m): 5:00am On Dec 30, 2014
Contact is a very nice movie.
Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by dyadeleye(m): 6:20am On Dec 30, 2014
Where can I download all for free kee?..
I like freebies

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by Nobody: 8:36am On Dec 30, 2014
Nice list Op. I totally love when love happens, October 1 and Being miss elliot. I didn't regret buying the tickets to see these 3movies. I must admit that i didn't enjoy half of a yellow sun at all, although I enjoyed watching kainene. I saw finding mercy and contract in 2013 but I had to watch the former more than 3times to move past the first 5scenes. I mean the fact that it was a denziot production kept on discouraging me. Also, the first few scenes with uti and blossom were kinda annoying, but when I finally struggled to move on, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Oreka godis is one gorgeous lady. I used to see her as a host of a love program on el TV, and I just admired her simplicity and her love for being natural, but she impressed me with her role delivery in when love happens. She's a great actress and I would really love to see her take up more roles.

I agree Blossom is a good actor, I enjoyed watching him in flower girl and finding mercy. I really do not like watching any movie that features Alex ekubo and Ik ogbonna, so I can't say much about the former other than the fact that he's quite hot.

OP, have you seen the short movie- Brave by lowladee, featuring adesuwa etomi(the lady in knocking on heaven's doors) and wole Ojo? I think wole Ojo is a great actor too, I just don't see enough of him on my screen.

And I agree kehinde interpretes her roles flawlessly. I have always admired her since her superstore days where she played the role of Caro in Mr lecturer.

I look forward to seeing Dry and dazzling mirage too. smiley

4 Likes

Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by LogoDWhiz(m): 12:46pm On Dec 30, 2014
speedyboi:

What does it matter to you?....you don't watch Nollywood films smiley

Lol!
Is it really a Nollywood film?
I doubt!

Answer my que
Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by dokunbam(m): 3:11pm On Dec 30, 2014
Ok
Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by Nobody: 1:44am On Dec 31, 2014
LogoDWhiz:

Lol!
Is it really a Nollywood film?
I doubt!

Answer my que
No, it is an AYwood film....continue dey ask me Jamb kweshion na undecided undecided undecided

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by LogoDWhiz(m): 1:45am On Dec 31, 2014
speedyboi:

No, it is an AYwood film....continue dey ask me Jamb kweshion na undecided undecided undecided

Will u answer my simple question or not?
Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by Nobody: 1:56am On Dec 31, 2014
cytochromeC:
Nice list Op. I totally love when love happens, October 1 and Being miss elliot. I didn't regret buying the tickets to see these 3movies. I must admit that i didn't enjoy half of a yellow sun at all, although I enjoyed watching kainene. I saw finding mercy and contract in 2013 but I had to watch the former more than 3times to move past the first 5scenes. I mean the fact that it was a denziot production kept on discouraging me. Also, the first few scenes with uti and blossom were kinda annoying, but when I finally struggled to move on, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Oreka godis is one gorgeous lady. I used to see her as a host of a love program on el TV, and I just admired her simplicity and her love for being natural, but she impressed me with her role delivery in when love happens. She's a great actress and I would really love to see her take up more roles.

I agree Blossom is a good actor, I enjoyed watching him in flower girl and finding mercy. I really do not like watching any movie that features Alex ekubo and Ik ogbonna, so I can't say much about the former other than the fact that he's quite hot.

OP, have you seen the short movie- Brave by lowladee, featuring adesuwa etomi(the lady in knocking on heaven's doors) and wole Ojo? I think wole Ojo is a great actor too, I just don't see enough of him on my screen.

And I agree kehinde interpretes her roles flawlessly. I have always admired her since her superstore days where she played the role of Caro in Mr lecturer.

I look forward to seeing Dry and dazzling mirage too. smiley

Nice writeup! You're onpoint!

I've seen "Brave"..it's a very nice short. I started loving Adesua after seeing her in "Gidi Up"
SuperStory made me love Kehinde as well, but it wasn't Mr Lecturer, it was the season where she played one Chinelo girl that enjoys singing, I think?
Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by Bonapart(m): 11:07am On Dec 31, 2014
Sorry. I dnt Nolly i only holly

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by teemanbastos(m): 11:08am On Dec 31, 2014
gud
Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by datguru: 11:08am On Dec 31, 2014
Do people still watch Nollywood movies? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by allisonluvsu(m): 11:09am On Dec 31, 2014
hmmmmmmm
Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by HrtBrkSteve(m): 11:09am On Dec 31, 2014
None.
I rather make do with football, news, or wrestling. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by romzyxy(m): 11:09am On Dec 31, 2014
I vnt watch any of dose film.
Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by bruno419(m): 11:10am On Dec 31, 2014
This one wey akon act I never see am o

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by Brymo: 11:11am On Dec 31, 2014
i av not seen them.
Ok i av seen half of a yellow sun.
Naija films usually reduces I.Q.
Hollywood movies sef this days r not up to expectations, talk mo of nollywood movies.
Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by alberto2k(m): 11:11am On Dec 31, 2014
#One leg uP
Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by Nobody: 11:11am On Dec 31, 2014
Heaven's gate
Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by debo07(m): 11:12am On Dec 31, 2014
Half of a yellow sun.......and tonto dikeh was all over the social media this year and yet didn't feature in any top nollywood movie for dis year.hmmm na wa.so now it means to stay relevant in d industry u must be controversial and not necessarily talented.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by boman2014: 11:12am On Dec 31, 2014
Half of a yellow sun. Love the movie. But my main probs about nollywood movies is the sex scene, i mean are the rating guarded?

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by mancheeutd(m): 11:13am On Dec 31, 2014
wherez ki iku ma pa iya iku....ha ha ordinary stealing
Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by Wadosky(m): 11:14am On Dec 31, 2014
Make I just comment cos today is the last day of 2014
living in bondage
happy new yr
Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by Nobody: 11:14am On Dec 31, 2014
Didn't watch any
Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by Drsmith01(m): 11:14am On Dec 31, 2014
i dont watch movies sadi dont watch movies
Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by AKMoney1(m): 11:15am On Dec 31, 2014
Come take a ride with me grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 by Drsmith01(m): 11:15am On Dec 31, 2014
i dont watch movies sad

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

33years Later: Do You Remember These People? / Mike Ezuruonye Rocks Bald Hair In 'Our Landlord' Movie (Video, Photos) / Photos: Most Terrifying Creatures/Characters/Villains In The History Of Movies.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.