Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,116 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:52 PM

4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife (9083 Views)

I Made A Horrible Mistake With My Lovely Wife / My Father's Advice To Me When I Was Searching For A Wife... / 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife (i'm The Ex-wife Now) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by 5minsmadness: 6:47pm On Dec 30, 2014
At first it was easy for me to point every single finger and toe at my husband for obliterating our 10-year marriage. He's the one who cheated and walked out without looking back. And long before that, he repeatedly shut me out, choosing to bury himself in his work to avoid what was happening to us at home.

Blame was my coping mechanism to get through the first difficult months of our separation, and "how dare he!" was my mantra. I rallied an entire army of supporters who, like me, were totally, utterly and completely aghast at the nerve -- the gall -- of this man.

Because obviously being a lying, cheating, family abandon-er trumps anything I did to our marriage in the past decade. Right?

Wrong.

I deflected any and all culpability in the failure of my marriage for months, holding on to the picture I painted of myself as the gentle, selfless and long-suffering wife. It wasn't until I found a therapist who called me out on my bullsh*t that I was forced to take a long, hard look at my shortcomings.

It wasn't pretty.

Here's what I now know actually screwed up my marriage. May it serve as a warning to you. Before it's too late.

1. I put my children first.
It's easy to love your own children. It takes very little effort, and they adore you no matter what. Marriage is the polar opposite: it's work. And whenever my marriage started to feel like work, I would check out and head to shoprite or my friend's place with the kids in tow. I'd often plan these adventures when I knew my husband couldn't go (and spoil my good time). I told myself it was OK because he preferred to work anyway and always seemed grouchy on family outings. I chose most nights to cuddle with them in our bed, blaming his late-night bedtimes and snoring for the sleeping arrangement. As a result, we were hardly alone together and never had kid-free date nights. Well, maybe once a year on our anniversary.

2. I didn't set (or enforce) boundaries with my parents.
They were at our house frequently, sometimes arriving unannounced and walking right in. They'd "help out" around the house doing things we never asked them to. We'd go on vacation with them. They'd correct our children in front of us. My own fears of upsetting my parents kept me from drawing a line in the sand and asking them not to cross it. The few times I did stand up for my family's autonomy, I didn't hold my parents to the same standards in future. My husband, quite literally, married my entire family.

3. I emasculated him.
I thought love was about honesty, but we all know that the truth hurts. As we grew more comfortable (read: lazy) in our relationship, I stopped trying to take the sting out it. I talked smack to my girlfriends, my mom, my co-workers. All. The. Time. "Can you believe he didn't do this?" and "Why in God's name did he do THAT?"

Instead of building up his ego, I trampled all over it. I belittled him often, saying his job was unimportant and dismissing his friends as "hangers-on." I berated him for doing things wrong when, in all honesty, he just wasn't doing them my way. At times I spoke to him like a child. I did my best to control the family finances and grilled him over every single penny he spent. And in the bedroom -- yup, you guessed it -- he was doing that all wrong too, and I wasn't shy about telling him so. As our marriage crumbled, I found myself constantly looking for faults and mistakes so that I could justify my superiority. By the end, I had zero respect for him and I made sure he knew it and felt it every day.

4. I didn't bother to learn to fight the right way.
I know it sounds odd to suggest there is a right way to fight. But there is. I tended to keep the peace in our house by keeping my mouth shut when things were really bothering me. As you can imagine, all the small things that drove me crazy grew into a giant suppressed ball of anger that would erupt occasionally in a huge, really frightening fit of Hulk-like rage. And by rage, I mean rage in the clinical, mental-health definition kind of way. After the fact, I'd justify my anger by saying that a woman can only take so much. Looking back, I was one scary b*tch during those episodes.

original article here http://www.huffingtonpost.com/yourtango/7-huge-mistakes-i-made-as_b_6355374.html

10 Likes 9 Shares

Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by SAMBARRY: 6:54pm On Dec 30, 2014
So what do you now want me to type/say undecided

to each their own joor abeg face your front jare.orooloro loman fekusi undecided
Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by borntosave: 6:55pm On Dec 30, 2014
Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by olu77(m): 6:56pm On Dec 30, 2014
Ok o.

From the errors of others a wise woman corrects her own - 5minsmadness (1914)

5 Likes

Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by ahnie: 7:02pm On Dec 30, 2014
are you now transgender?#justcurious#

1 Like

Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by jeflexy(m): 8:15pm On Dec 30, 2014
i hope u learnt from ur mistakes
Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by 5minsmadness: 8:22pm On Dec 30, 2014
SAMBARRY:
So what do you now want me to type/say undecided

to each their own joor abeg face your front jare.orooloro loman fekusi undecided
God abeg o, must you type/say anything? You no fit read waka pass?

5 Likes

Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by 5minsmadness: 8:23pm On Dec 30, 2014
olu77:
Ok o.

From the errors of others a wise woman corrects her own - 5minsmadness (1914)
Eshé.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by 5minsmadness: 8:24pm On Dec 30, 2014
ahnie:
are you now transgender?#justcurious#
The source of the original article is written below.
Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by Nobody: 8:42pm On Dec 30, 2014
Very deep
Not excusing the man for his affair though . .
He should have found a way of communicating his "dislikes" to his wife before it got so bad & to the point that he switched off
Its good to learn
it is well.

4 Likes

Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by prettyjo(f): 8:54pm On Dec 30, 2014
OK.but no 4 caught my attention
Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by chronique(m): 9:12pm On Dec 30, 2014
Women oooooooooo,where are you people? Make una come read ooooo. Before you start blaming all the innocent wretched old looking women in your village for the failure of your marriages.

Mods,pls move to frontpage so our ladies can learn a thing or two. Honestly speaking,I can't reall blame this woman and would not really blame all men. For first timers in marriage,it's usually a whole new experience and there's certainly no way one can become so perfect and experienced on a new job description that one hasn't learnt. Those who manage to pull through,do so out of patience and with lots of understanding. And after sometime,they become used to doing that over and over again and can now pass that wealth of knowledge as experience to others.

Staying married for long,is a lot of work and can be likened to a soup that will continually need new ingredients every minute while it's on the fire,to become sweet. It never gets totally cooked cos you need to keep adding new ingredients to it,to make it tasty.

May God help us all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by Bootybuttchic(f): 11:16pm On Dec 30, 2014
haa.....thank God hes left sha......he must have found peace by now....... men they try ....whew!

i hate when people pick mistakes too much,bully someone feelings(emotionally).turn a matrimonial home into a family house.....chai....plus the rest.........thank God for that mans lifeundecided

Gid pls give me brain to treat my husband and home well....amen

7 Likes

Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by bukatyne(f): 12:52am On Dec 31, 2014
Couldn't the husband communicate his dislikes to his wife?

2 Likes

Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by cococandy(f): 1:09am On Dec 31, 2014
bukatyne:
Couldn't the husband communicate his dislikes to his wife?
no angry

2 Likes

Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by hayoakins(m): 1:28am On Dec 31, 2014
WORD!

Intending spouse should come and learn in order not to be liened.
Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by MirrorMirror: 1:41am On Dec 31, 2014
Number 2 actually caught my attention
2. I didn't set (or enforce) boundaries with my parents............................................

I actually have friends whose marriages are over cos it was important that their parents’ suggestions, methods or advice must be obeyed.

I remember one of them use to say ‘you can only have one dad/mum in life, but u can have more than one spouse if push comes to shove.
The MIL (intentionally or unintentionally) turned the couple against each other with her complaints and bickering.
Now everyone has parted ways with each side feeling my family/parents are superior or better than yours.

To set boundaries with parents, one needs prayers, then find a good time and right/polite but firm approach to state your concerns.

1 Like

Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by SAMBARRY: 5:07am On Dec 31, 2014
5minsmadness:

Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by SAMBARRY: 5:08am On Dec 31, 2014
5minsmadness:

so why is it called public forum? undecided
Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by bukatyne(f): 7:09am On Dec 31, 2014
cococandy:
no angry

It sounds funny

If a husband is hurt by his wife's actions or inactions, could he not thrash the issue per time?

What is I cheated because a did not do XYZ?

Well the woman has learnt her lessons

Each to their own
Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by mechanicaldummie(m): 8:17am On Dec 31, 2014
Bootybuttchic:
haa.....thank God hes left sha......he must have found peace by now....... men they try ....whew!

i hate when people pick mistakes too much,bully someone feelings(emotionally).turn a matrimonial home into a family house.....chai....plus the rest.........thank God for that mans lifeundecided

Gid pls give me brain to treat my husband and home well....amen
He will bless you. You deserve it.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by Nobody: 8:34am On Dec 31, 2014
Heheheehe. I read through a post where a guy posted how his wife cheated, wife came back and said he cheated first, was a deadbeat etc, our people no hear that one oh.
I wonder what will happen if a guy says its his fault his wife cheated, the mob will scream and cry " its no excuse she is a who- re"

2 Likes

Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by Nobody: 9:35am On Dec 31, 2014
It is good that she saw where she was lagging behind, where she contributed to the already bad situation. Interference from inlaws is terrible and bound to destroy a marriage if both couple do not do something to avert it.

But i believe there is absolutely no excuse anyone, male or female, has for cheating. If everybody, male or female, begin to use cheating as a means of solving marital problems, all marriages will break down. What happened to communication? It is people who dnt like communicating with their spouses that love to use cheating as a means to solve problems. Communication, they say, is Key to marriage. No man ever wants to hear any excuse from his wife who cheats. Its just like saying since a man nags or isnt romantic or looses his job or becomes less financially capable, therefore his wife has every right to cheat. Therefore it is his fault. Mbanu!! What we all should be preaching is how to make things work without jeopardizing marriages and not justifying wrong doings. What does cheating achieve in the end? does it ever solve the underlying problems? Not at all. Problems remain the same. Infact the problems multiply. People should avoid using cheating as a means to solve marital problems. Just because your house is not as decorated and beautiful as you want it does not mean you should burn it down with fire. Do something about it and make your house beautiful. Water your grass and stop looking at the grass on the other side. Let couples do their parts in making marriages work.

3 Likes

Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by bluedaze(f): 9:42am On Dec 31, 2014
WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!

5 Likes

Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by Lisaflex(f): 9:58am On Dec 31, 2014
Most stuff i've read abt marriage imply dt d success of a marriage is mostly if not entirely dependent on d woman...Is it dt a woman is not meant 2 njoy marriage bt jes kip working at mkin it work even wen its killing her? Wot exactly is d role of d man?...In ds write up, d woman appears 2 hv taken all d blame n its more lyk shez trying 2 justify her man cheating on her n leavn her n d kids...I bliv d guy also made his own mistakes in addition 2 d cheatn ish, d brk dwn of their marriage could hv been averted if d guy also played his part n didn't let fnz escalate 2 d point dt it did...I fnk 4 a marriage 2 work,both parties hv 2 work hard at it n not jes d woman

7 Likes

Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by troy20(m): 11:13am On Dec 31, 2014
Ehen look at them up there saying poo as usual.I for one can't tolerate disrespect from a woman.I know its your natural talent to use very mean bad bad words so if her intent was to break him then she probably did and in some cases even for good.as for me I may yet come out good if you take a limb or two.but words...what a poor fellow
Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by Nobody: 12:31pm On Dec 31, 2014
Lmao I no go die sha for this site. So the trend these days it seems if for women to " learn" their lessons
From the fake story teller who claimed her husband was marrying another wife and wanted us to learn our lesson by force to this one at least story tellers took the advice we gave last time and didn't make ut a Nollywood crap of bull.

Same story line though, man cheats wife makes it all her fault none of his.

2015 don come I will pray for all the lesson teachers so they can have better stories with lessons next time since they are determined to teach sturborn women like Stillfire, EfemenaXY, Cococandy, Chilisauce and Ile lessons in this family section. Oya make una carry biro and paper begin learn the lessons are just starting

8 Likes

Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by 5minsmadness: 1:06pm On Dec 31, 2014
prettyjo:
OK.but no 4 caught my attention
Why?
Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by EfemenaXY: 1:54pm On Dec 31, 2014
aisha2:
Lmao I no go die sha for this site. So the trend these days it seems if for women to " learn" their lessons
From the fake story teller who claimed her husband was marrying another wife and wanted us to learn our lesson by force to this one at least story tellers took the advice we gave last time and didn't make ut a Nollywood crap of bull.
Same story line though, man cheats wife makes it all her fault none of his.
2015 don come I will pray for all the lesson teachers so they can have better stories with lessons next time since they are determined to teach sturborn women like Stillfire, EfemenaXY, Cococandy, Chilisauce and Ile lessons in this family section. Oya make una carry biro and paper begin learn the lessons are just starting

Haha! cheesy cheesy

Aisha, I'm quickly learning my lessons o! Right now, I'm at stage one: submissively cooking dinner in the kitchen.

After which, I hope to graduate to stage two: Barefooted, pregnant, and chained to the kitchen sink!!

Revelations chapter 50 verse 75... grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by Rosarie(f): 1:58pm On Dec 31, 2014
m guilty of no one but dnt kno how to limit it
Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by Nobody: 2:02pm On Dec 31, 2014
EfemenaXY:

Haha! cheesy cheesy
Aisha, I'm quickly learning my lessons o! Right now, I'm at stage one: submissively cooking dinner in the kitchen.
After which, I hope to graduate to stage two: Barefooted, pregnant, and chained to the kitchen sink!!
Revelations chapter 50 verse 75... grin grin grin

Good your lesson teachers should be pleased.
Dont forget to kneel down and balance the food on your head,.washing hand water on your palms while Oga eeats, I dont want you to be one of the lesson learners oh. You know if you dont obediently do this he can go.cheat and it will be all your fault because there are plenty women out there willing to balance food on their head for oga to eat from. Ensure there is a glass of beer on the other hand so he can sip when he is thirsty. A word is enough

3 Likes

Re: 4 Huge Mistakes I Made As A Wife by WORLDPEACE(m): 2:47pm On Dec 31, 2014
Lisaflex:
Most stuff i've read abt marriage imply dt d success of a marriage is mostly if not entirely dependent on d woman...Is it dt a woman is not meant 2 njoy marriage bt jes kip working at mkin it work even wen its killing her? Wot exactly is d role of d man?...In ds write up, d woman appears 2 hv taken all d blame n its more lyk shez trying 2 justify her man cheating on her n leavn her n d kids...I bliv d guy also made his own mistakes in addition 2 d cheatn ish, d brk dwn of their marriage could hv been averted if d guy also played his part n didn't let fnz escalate 2 d point dt it did...I fnk 4 a marriage 2 work,both parties hv 2 work hard at it n not jes d woman
The writer of the article like a real adult is accepting responsibility for the role she played in the collapse of her marriage. She is not absolving her husband of blame. She has just personally reached a point in her growth assisted by therapy were she can do that. If her ex never matures to that point that's his loss. She will take the lessons she has learnt into her next marriage If she chooses to remarry. Its no longer about him but her own growth.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Gay Nigerian, Chika Nwafor Visits Nigeria With German Husband / Love Is Blind: See The Wonderful Pictures Of Couple That Breaks The Internet / Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.