Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,863 members, 7,806,455 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:46 PM

Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria (9981 Views)

My Mini 1999 BMW 318i Restoration Project / 2003 Nissan 350z Restoration / t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by lungwun(m): 7:49pm On Dec 30, 2014
So, typically auto restoration is not really a thing in Nigeria, often supercars and not so supercars have been left rotting in the dust due to

A. Incompetent mechanics
B. Competent but eye gougingly expensive mechanics (I know this first hand, a recommended Nairaland mechanic once quoted 70k for a used E46 steering rack) bought it for 15k, less than 2 miles away at Gudu.

It's a little wonder that the average Nigerian goes for Toyota and Honda vehicles because of incompetence and/or expenditure.

So I've found a couple of barn finds or cars that have been abandoned by their previous owners due to

1. Too much money
2. See A and B above.

I present to you, in order of importance / rarity / desirability to me.

Acura/Honda NSX - Now for the price I found this, I would snap it up in an instant. Dirt cheap and abandoned and unloved. If I had a couple of millions stashed away I could have begun a thread like CityNG or Siena. Alas I can just wish away.

BMW E46 M3 - This obviously looks in a sorry state but to my surprise, it cranked up right away. Some money into this and it could be restored for a nice profit. Cheap also. Shame money is tied up.

Honda S2000 - also spotted this one abandoned in these Abuja streets. Affordable and runs and drives. Perfect for those top down weekend jaunts. Plus it's got 'Vtec yo!'

I'm sure there are many more exotics lost and rotting away in compounds and garages. Who knows, with the right injection of funds, I could actually go professional.

Have you spotted anything lately?

Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:53pm On Dec 30, 2014
lungwun:
So, typically auto restoration is not really a thing in Nigeria, often supercars and not so supercars have been left rotting in the dust due to

A. Incompetent mechanics
B. Competent but eye gougingly expensive mechanics (I know this first hand, a recommended Nairaland mechanic once quoted 70k for a used E46 steering rack) bought it for 15k, less than 2 miles away at Gudu.

It's a little wonder that the average Nigerian goes for Toyota and Honda vehicles because of incompetence and/or expenditure.

So I've found a couple of barn finds or cars that have been abandoned by their previous owners due to

1. Too much money
2. See A and B above.

Acura/Honda NSX - Now for the price I found this, I would snap it up in an instant. Dirt cheap and abandoned and unloved. If I had a couple of millions stashed away I could have begun a thread like CityNG or Siena. Alas I can just wish away.

BMW E46 M3 - This obviously looks in a sorry state but to my surprise, it cranked up right away. Some money into this and it could be restored for a nice profit. Cheap also. Shame money is tied up.

Honda S2000 - also spotted this one abandoned in these Abuja streets. Affordable and runs and drives. Perfect for those top down weekend jaunts. Plus it's got 'Vtec yo!'

I'm sure there are many more exotics lost and rotting away in compounds and garages. Who knows, with the right injection of funds, I could actually go professional.

How much is the NSX? Maybe it can be rescued back to the US.

Personally whoever imported that car to Nigeria should be publicly flogged.

5 Likes

Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by lungwun(m): 8:14pm On Dec 30, 2014
The NSX was just under $5,000.

It's actually crazy because looking online the cheapest I could find was just under $30,000. Not sure much savings could be had if it were exported to 'murica.

The m3, $4,000.

The S2000 was the priciest at $8,500 since it was a for sale car that had picked up no interest at all.
Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by sultaan(m): 8:36pm On Dec 30, 2014
CityNG:

Haha the money they lost should be enough.

Right now you can't blame the owner for being stupid his problem was having the money in the first place. He gave NSX to a nigerian mechanic
Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:24pm On Dec 30, 2014
It hurts just looking at that ruined E46 M3. sad

1 Like

Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by yungboss(m): 9:22am On Dec 31, 2014
Such bereft rarities cry
Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by 234CustomCars: 10:52pm On Jan 01, 2015
Good Evening. Would you be kind enough to let me know where the M3 is located. Very interested if it isnt a total loss.
Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jan 02, 2015
Siena:
It hurts just looking at that ruined E46 M3. sad

believe me
Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by yungboss(m): 8:33pm On Jan 02, 2015
Toyota supra

2 Likes

Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by yungboss(m): 8:34pm On Jan 02, 2015
Porsche 944,1985.

1 Like

Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by oseo1(m): 11:40am On Jan 03, 2015
CityNG:

Actually Honda place brought a few into Nigeria a while back, they came with warranties. I believe they sold 3, this was eons ago tho.
Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by awwalugon(m): 12:54pm On Jun 01, 2015
Pls, how do I contact the seller of the nsx? Is it an automatic or a manual? Thank you
Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jun 01, 2015
awwalugon:
Pls, how do I contact the seller of the nsx? Is it an automatic or a manual? Thank you

The Honda NSX is only available as a manual.
Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by awwalugon(m): 1:15pm On Jun 01, 2015
Siena:

The Honda NSX is only available as a manual.

Nope, you can actually get it in automatic, I really hope its a manual tho

Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by ivoryhouse(m): 7:24pm On Jun 01, 2015
lungwun:

A. Incompetent mechanics

1. Too much money
2. See A and B above.

Will you be kind enough to tell us the asking prices of the cars,the ones for sale. That m3 could be a good project
Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by omicpet(m): 12:41pm On Aug 12, 2016
ivoryhouse:

Will you be kind enough to tell us the asking prices of the cars,the ones for sale. That m3 could be a good project

hi am all guns out for the e46 m3. location and asking price pls. thanks.

grin grin i have a dream, one day i shall restore that m3 on the first race track in the united states of Nigeria in tha great city of LAGOS aka No mans land... grin grin grin.
Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by IDKadiri: 12:37pm On May 30, 2017
Hi Pls where was this picture taken? Toyota Supra...

yungboss:
Toyota supra
Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by DaimlerBen(m): 9:00am On Jun 08, 2017
It would be wonderful if this thread could be made sticky. A lot of people could be looking for a fun project car or one to source parts from.
For those interested, some good places to find beautiful classics are old Federal & state universities and old residential estates.
Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by Shagati(m): 9:28pm On Aug 22, 2017
Whatever happened to this thread?
OP started it and just fizzled.

That Enugu Kengodson chap really brought to light some good oldies.

What about Ibadan people? There are tons of barns I am sure having late 70s to early 90s gems.

Just passing through

1 Like

Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by chiefbuchiV12(m): 10:58pm On Aug 22, 2017
Shagati:

What about Ibadan people? There are tons of barns I am sure having late 70s to early 90s gems.

Just passing through
Mr shagati, there's a Hayabusa @ Babcock university that's been left to rot away @ their maintenance facility I don't know if you or someone would be interested in picking it up and giving it a new life. I don't have the pix, I would have uploaded it here
Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by Shagati(m): 3:23pm On Aug 23, 2017
chiefbuchiV12:

Mr shagati, there's a Hayabusa @ Babcock university that's been left to rot away @ their maintenance facility I don't know if you or someone would be interested in picking it up and giving it a new life. I don't have the pix, I would have uploaded it here

Depends on the current state.
Can you get pictures?
Model year? Accident?
Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by azpekuliar: 5:21pm On Aug 23, 2017
I dream of restoring and converting a disused SCANIA, BUSCAR or MARCOPOLO luxury bus into an RV(Recreational Vehicle) someday smiley The types previously used by the likes of ABC transport that you see abandoned around the bridge at Costain.

Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by azpekuliar: 5:22pm On Aug 23, 2017
chiefbuchiV12:

Take a photo of it, I might be interested too.
Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by chiefbuchiV12(m): 6:43pm On Aug 23, 2017
Shagati:

Depends on the current state.
Can you get pictures?
Model year? Accident?
I'll try and get the needed info by weekend cos my daily hustle doesn't allow me quality free time to go into school
Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by chiefbuchiV12(m): 6:44pm On Aug 23, 2017
azpekuliar:

Take a photo of it, I might be interested too.
I'll try and get the needed info by weekend cos my daily hustle doesn't allow me quality free time to go into school
Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by DaimlerBen(m): 10:25pm On Aug 23, 2017
azpekuliar:
I dream of restoring and converting a disused SCANIA, BUSCAR or MARCOPOLO luxury bus into an RV(Recreational Vehicle) someday smiley The types previously used by the likes of ABC transport that you see abandoned around the bridge at Costain.
If I get money ehn...

2 Likes

Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by azpekuliar: 8:26am On Aug 24, 2017
DaimlerBen:

If I get money ehn...

I dey tell you... cheesy
Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by kengodson: 8:58am On Aug 25, 2017
Shagati:

Just passing through

am around sir grin
Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by Shagati(m): 10:40am On Aug 25, 2017
kengodson:

am around sir grin

Good man!
Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by azpekuliar: 2:29pm On Aug 27, 2017
chiefbuchiV12:

You're supposed to update the thread on the barn find at BU.

1 Like

Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by chiefbuchiV12(m): 4:17pm On Aug 27, 2017
azpekuliar:

You're supposed to update the thread on the barn find at BU.
Like I said earlier my daily hustle gives me limited free time..... I would report back latest friday this week

1 Like

Re: Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria by kengodson: 10:52am On Aug 28, 2017
Shagati:

Good man!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bad Roads: Must I Buy An SUV? / Run Flat Tires: How They Work / Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.