Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,253 members, 7,807,862 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:56 PM

New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 - Car Talk (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 (38745 Views)

Top 20 Used Cars To Avoid / New Policy On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: Big News Page / Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by megacool360(m): 4:10pm On Dec 31, 2014
Fhemmmy:

How many of those companies already build the factory where the rides will be made or where they will be assembled? So why not wait till production has started before the policy . . . . If they are so confident in what they are doing, leave people with choices of either buy "Made in Nigeria" brand new or used that are imported . . . . . America produces and assembles and yet people still import rides there . . . Canada do same, so why do we have to force people to use ONLY "Made in Nigeria"
A nation where Quality is lacking as long as money exchange hands, will you trust the testing to be done well, if AT ALL?

I read the OP's post very well and i'm sure if you did too, you'd realize there was never a place the OP implied the fG will force people into using ONLY MADE IN NIGERIA cars. The policy much to my understanding still leaves all with the same options that has always been there; buy the made in Nigeria cars OR import a new car if you can afford it OR pay the heavy duty and still import your tukumbo, whichever one you wish for, it's your choice. Some countries, even South Africa don't even give you an option of importing tukumbos and today, their automobile industry is a commendable one.

As for the factory thingy, productions are already ongoing as some cars are being made (atleast assembled) here in Nigeria; Innoson, KIA, Hyundai among others.

1 Like

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by jkross(m): 4:12pm On Dec 31, 2014
For a man that served as vice president to Late yar adua God bless his soul...one would expect much from him in his first tenure as president but its with heavy heart that I say this "GEJ has performed below expectations,though its not been easy considering the fact that never in the history of Nigeria have any government experience such a high level of opposition both within and outside the country....His policy to revive the auto industry is. Welcomed but premature one cos I rather go on foot than buy that innoson rubbish called car....

3 Likes

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by megacool360(m): 4:15pm On Dec 31, 2014
jkross:
For a man that served as vice president to Late yar adua God bless his soul...one would expect much from him in his first tenure as president but its with heavy heart that I say this "GEJ has performed below expectations,though its not been easy considering the fact that never in the history of Nigeria have any government experience such a high level of opposition both within and outside the country....His policy to revive the auto industry is. Welcomed but premature one cos I rather go on foot than buy that innoson rubbish called car....

Your opinion bro and good for you. Some others wouldn't mind.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Nobody: 4:19pm On Dec 31, 2014
Collynzo22:

It is not by force to own a car.
If you can get a brand new one or pay the extra charges 2nd hand, use a taxi or get a bicycle.

somethin u dont wish for urself neva wish for other, in this country car is not a luxury but a necessity.

I pray God makes u experience what you just said.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Fhemmmy: 4:22pm On Dec 31, 2014
megacool360:

I read the OP's post very well and i'm sure if you did too, you'd realize there was never a place the OP implied the fG will force people into using ONLY MADE IN NIGERIA cars. The policy much to my understanding still leaves all with the same options that has always been there; buy the made in Nigeria cars OR import a new car if you can afford it OR pay the heavy duty and still import your tukumbo, whichever one you wish for, it's your choice. Some countries, even South Africa don't even give you an option of importing tukumbos and today, their automobile industry is a commendable one.

As for the factory thingy, productions are already ongoing as some cars are being made (atleast assembled) here in Nigeria; Innoson, KIA, Hyundai among others.

CHairman, i love it when people respond to comments without issues and insult, so i commend you for that, thanks . . . Now, let us break it down:

You buy a car at for 20,000$ and the govt of Nigeria want to you to pay same 20,000$ to clear the ride, besides, the govt has been singing the song of Discouraging importation of used rides or even new rides and thereby increasing the tariff and custom duty to such rate, now tell me, if that giving the people the choice?

This is a choice out of no choice.

Again, i am not against the "Made in Nigeria" rides, we are ripen for one, but the timing should be done right, how many of the "Made in Nigeria" rides are on the road, please tell me the address of one of the coys that you mentioned above, so i could call them and ask for pix of what they have done.

Who tested the rides and where is crash testing done, what is the rating for the crash testing?

6 Likes

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by ollyruffy: 4:32pm On Dec 31, 2014
He (GEJ) should keep it up. This is just one of the numerous reasons to vote him out of office in 2015.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Nobody: 5:14pm On Dec 31, 2014
MissMeiya:
This administration is actually BRAIN DEAD.

Let me break this down:

Discouraging imports is great for stimulating local economy: WHEN THE LOCAL PRODUCTION ACTUALLY EXISTS. For too many things in Nigeria, the consumption FAR EXCEEDS LOCAL PRODUCTION. The market actually depends on importation for SURVIVAL.

You can't buy what doesn't exist.

So what does this mean? People will continue to import because they HAVE to, even with the increased import taxes:

• They will just pay the increased cost--defeating the purported goal of reducing imports
• They will bribe someone--increased corruption
• They will smuggle it in from neighboring countries--giving more money to other countries

The last is the most likely outcome, as it is already happening. I'm sure car dealers in Benin Republic want to kiss our administration. Look at this picture of a car lot RIGHT NEXT to the border. Those cars weren't made in Benin.
Chukwu gozie gi
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Nobody: 5:17pm On Dec 31, 2014
kennaustine:
^^^ Whats really wrong with y'all APC propagandist? The increase in tariffs for imported automobile is to encourage local automobile manufacturers. Common SS2 Economics student will tell you that one way of encouraging local production is increasing import tariffs. That's called Import Substitution Strategy. Aren't you ashamed that Nigeria has become a dumping ground for every kind of crap produced in other climes? We have Innoson, PAN, ANNAMCO, VON, Nissan and other automobile manufacturers in Nigeria and we know that government is trying to revitalize them so as to boosts our economy. Yet you criticize this one very good move government makes to see to its realization. Many of these imported cars have been used for above five years and then they're moved to Nigeria for dumping, after which when you buy, you'll use for no more than three years and the money u would have spent on repairs and maintenance may have exceeded the original cost. Some brand new Innoson cars go for 1.5m and they're trying to beat it down to 1m. So which is better ; buying a brand new car for 1.5m and enjoying it for 3 to 4 years without excessive repair cost or buying a tokie car for 800thousand and spending over 500thousand on repairs in 3 years. A relation of mine has spent about 300th on repairs on a tokie car he bought for about 800th and the car IS STILL HAVING ISSUES. Wont it have been better to just buy a brand new made-in-Nigeria car and save yourself some unecessary stress. Why are we so used to cheap craps and worthless articles? Is that what APC wants for us? SMH. Which way Nigeria? #SeeBeyondPropaganda

Can you prescribe an affordable brand new German or Japanese automobile that goes for 1.5million?

Before you answer I'm not talking of that kpangolo called Kia oh! So think b4 you vomit
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by ajibsca: 5:28pm On Dec 31, 2014
THANK YOU FOR THE ENLIGHTENMENT SIR . WITH ALL DUE RESPECT ,I WOULD LIKE TO ASK YOU A FEW QUESTIONS ... FIRST QUESTION FOR YOU IS WHAT CAR DO YOU DRIVE AND DID YOU BUY IT BRAND NEW WHY DIDNT YOU BUY INNOSON OR THE NIGERIAN MADE CARS ?

SECOND QUESTION- WHAT % OF NIGERIANS CAN AFFORD A 5 YR OLD TOKUNBO CAR TALK LESS OF A BRAND NEW ? THERE IS MASSIVE SUFFERING WHERE PEOPLE CANT EVEN AFFORD TO EAT 3 GOOD MEALS A DAY AND YOU THINK THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN MAKE LIFE BETTER FOR THEM IS TO INFLICT MORE SUFFERING BY ADDING MORE TO THEIR UNSOLVED PROBLEMS ?

NOW LETS LOOK AT IT THIS WAY .... YOU ARE A CIVIL SERVANT AND YOU EARN 40,000 NAIRA MONTHLY AND A LOT OF CIVIL SERVANTS EARN WAY LESS THAN THAT WHICH ISNT STILL ENOUGH TO CATER FOR YOU ALONE TALK LESS OF YOUR FAMILY ,RENT , BASIC AMENITIES, CHILDREN SCHOOL FEES (VERY EXORBITANT THESE DAYS ) AND ETC . CAN YOU TAKE OUT 37,000 NAIRA FROM YOUR SALARY FOR AN AUTO LOAN ? ANSWER IS NO

#2. THERE IS NO BLACK MARKET FOR THE NIGERIAN MADE CAR PARTS YET SO GETTING REPLACEMENT PARTS WILL BE VERY EXPENSIVE UNLIKE USING A TOYOTA, HONDA ETC THAT YOU CAN GET AT IKEJA, LADIPO, ALABA AND ETC ETC.

#3. THE MONIES BEING MADE FROM ALL THE PREVIOUS YEARS I.E TARIFFS /IMPORT DUTIES ETC ETC , OF WHAT USE HAS IT BEEN TO ME AND YOU ? ZERO , ALL GOING DOWN TO A FEW POCKETS.

4. BECAUSE YOU WANT TO ENCOURAGE THE PRODUCTION AND CONSUMPTION OF MADE IN NIGERIA CARS , YOU HAVE TO INFLATE THE COST OF IMPORTATION ? WHAT KIND OF ECONOMICS IS THAT ? WHAT THEY NEED TO DO IS TO GIVE ROOM TO ACCESSIBILITY OF THESE KIND OF LOANS TO THE MASSES AT AFFORDABLE RATES CONSIDERING OUR ECONOMY AND MINIMUM WAGE SINCE A LOT OF PEOPLE STILL EARN 15,000 MONTHLY IN THIS COUNTRY EXCEPT THE POLICY IS MEANT ONLY FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE RICH. THEY ALSO NEED TO HAVE MORE PLANTS WHERE PARTS WILL BE READILY AVAILABLE AT AFFORDABLE PRICES.

5. IF I CAN AFFORD TO AND I TAKE OUT A CAR LOAN FOR 37,000 FOR INSTANCE AND I HAVEN'T BEEN PAID SALARY OF 40,000 NAIRA IN 3 MONTHS JUST LIKE THE RECENT ISSUES RELATED TO UNPAID SALARIES IN NIGERIA .... WILL THE AUTO FINANCING COMPANY HOLD THE GOVERNMENT OR ME RESPONSIBLE ?? YOU HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO MAKE THE PAYMENTS AS AGREED AS AT WHEN DUE. IF PAYMENT TERMS ARE NOT MET, THE FINANCING COMPANY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REPOSSESS THE CAR .

WITH ALL OF THESE FACTORS, I CAN TELL YOU THAT ITS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE FOR AN AVERAGE NIGERIAN LIVING MONTH TO MONTH TO BENEFIT FROM SUCH SCHEMES EXCEPT YOU HAVE A WELL SECURED AND GOOD PAYING JOB.

eaglechild:

Many people perish because they lack knowledge.

Information is power.

Explore your environment.

http://www.kiamotorsnigeria.com/kia-partners-diamond-bank-auto-loan-scheme-emi-low-n37000/

http://www.kiamotorsnigeria.com/kia-motors-nigeria-patrners-fcmb-auto-loan-finance-scheme/

1 Like

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by ajibsca: 5:30pm On Dec 31, 2014
KPANGOLO INDEED .

drlawizle:

Can you prescribe an affordable brand new German or Japanese automobile that goes for 1.5million?

Before you answer I'm not talking of that kpangolo called Kia oh! So think b4 you vomit
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by otokx(m): 5:45pm On Dec 31, 2014
kennaustine:
^^^ Whats really wrong with y'all APC propagandist? The increase in tariffs for imported automobile is to encourage local automobile manufacturers. Common SS2 Economics student will tell you that one way of encouraging local production is increasing import tariffs. That's called Import Substitution Strategy. Aren't you ashamed that Nigeria has become a dumping ground for every kind of crap produced in other climes? We have Innoson, PAN, ANNAMCO, VON, Nissan and other automobile manufacturers in Nigeria and we know that government is trying to revitalize them so as to boosts our economy. Yet you criticize this one very good move government makes to see to its realization. Many of these imported cars have been used for above five years and then they're moved to Nigeria for dumping, after which when you buy, you'll use for no more than three years and the money u would have spent on repairs and maintenance may have exceeded the original cost. Some brand new Innoson cars go for 1.5m and they're trying to beat it down to 1m. So which is better ; buying a brand new car for 1.5m and enjoying it for 3 to 4 years without excessive repair cost or buying a tokie car for 800thousand and spending over 500thousand on repairs in 3 years. A relation of mine has spent about 300th on repairs on a tokie car he bought for about 800th and the car IS STILL HAVING ISSUES. Wont it have been better to just buy a brand new made-in-Nigeria car and save yourself some unecessary stress. Why are we so used to cheap craps and worthless articles? Is that what APC wants for us? SMH. Which way Nigeria? #SeeBeyondPropaganda

The brand new cars are too expensive because the cost of production is too high, how many megawatts do we currently distribute?

1 Like

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by nannymcphee(f): 6:03pm On Dec 31, 2014
!
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by nannymcphee(f): 6:06pm On Dec 31, 2014
Delta steel company is dead

Ajaokuta steel is dead

Electricity is dead

security is bad

To the best of my knowledge, The locally assembled car hasn't been tested

I don't think they have done a crash test

I don't think they are suitable for Our bad roads

are the mechanic's available?

why not put some of these things in place before discouraging importation?

the government ought to declare assembled in Nigeria cars as official vehicles, that will be a start

Then a massive advertising campaign to the public because as of now, I don't know anything about them

2 Likes

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Nobody: 6:15pm On Dec 31, 2014
goes without saying, most of these boosters of the so called automotive policy are still in their parents houses or legedezbenzing.

no one working for his money will be appreciative of this dubious policy which will wind up forcing nigerians to pay premium prices for low quality goods.

na today?

2 Likes

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by eaglechild: 6:17pm On Dec 31, 2014
ajibsca:
THANK YOU FOR THE ENLIGHTENMENT SIR . WITH ALL DUE RESPECT ,I WOULD LIKE TO ASK YOU A FEW QUESTIONS ... FIRST QUESTION FOR YOU IS WHAT CAR DO YOU DRIVE AND DID YOU BUY IT BRAND NEW WHY DIDNT YOU BUY INNOSON OR THE NIGERIAN MADE CARS ?

SECOND QUESTION- WHAT % OF NIGERIANS CAN AFFORD A 5 YR OLD TOKUNBO CAR TALK LESS OF A BRAND NEW ? THERE IS MASSIVE SUFFERING WHERE PEOPLE CANT EVEN AFFORD TO EAT 3 GOOD MEALS A DAY AND YOU THINK THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN MAKE LIFE BETTER FOR THEM IS TO INFLICT MORE SUFFERING BY ADDING MORE TO THEIR UNSOLVED PROBLEMS ?

NOW LETS LOOK AT IT THIS WAY .... YOU ARE A CIVIL SERVANT AND YOU EARN 40,000 NAIRA MONTHLY AND A LOT OF CIVIL SERVANTS EARN WAY LESS THAN THAT WHICH ISNT STILL ENOUGH TO CATER FOR YOU ALONE TALK LESS OF YOUR FAMILY ,RENT , BASIC AMENITIES, CHILDREN SCHOOL FEES (VERY EXORBITANT THESE DAYS ) AND ETC . CAN YOU TAKE OUT 37,000 NAIRA FROM YOUR SALARY FOR AN AUTO LOAN ? ANSWER IS NO

#2. THERE IS NO BLACK MARKET FOR THE NIGERIAN MADE CAR PARTS YET SO GETTING REPLACEMENT PARTS WILL BE VERY EXPENSIVE UNLIKE USING A TOYOTA, HONDA ETC THAT YOU CAN GET AT IKEJA, LADIPO, ALABA AND ETC ETC.

#3. THE MONIES BEING MADE FROM ALL THE PREVIOUS YEARS I.E TARIFFS /IMPORT DUTIES ETC ETC , OF WHAT USE HAS IT BEEN TO ME AND YOU ? ZERO , ALL GOING DOWN TO A FEW POCKETS.

4. BECAUSE YOU WANT TO ENCOURAGE THE PRODUCTION AND CONSUMPTION OF MADE IN NIGERIA CARS , YOU HAVE TO INFLATE THE COST OF IMPORTATION ? WHAT KIND OF ECONOMICS IS THAT ? WHAT THEY NEED TO DO IS TO GIVE ROOM TO ACCESSIBILITY OF THESE KIND OF LOANS TO THE MASSES AT AFFORDABLE RATES CONSIDERING OUR ECONOMY AND MINIMUM WAGE SINCE A LOT OF PEOPLE STILL EARN 15,000 MONTHLY IN THIS COUNTRY EXCEPT THE POLICY IS MEANT ONLY FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE RICH. THEY ALSO NEED TO HAVE MORE PLANTS WHERE PARTS WILL BE READILY AVAILABLE AT AFFORDABLE PRICES.

5. IF I CAN AFFORD TO AND I TAKE OUT A CAR LOAN FOR 37,000 FOR INSTANCE AND I HAVEN'T BEEN PAID SALARY OF 40,000 NAIRA IN 3 MONTHS JUST LIKE THE RECENT ISSUES RELATED TO UNPAID SALARIES IN NIGERIA .... WILL THE AUTO FINANCING COMPANY HOLD THE GOVERNMENT OR ME RESPONSIBLE ?? YOU HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO MAKE THE PAYMENTS AS AGREED AS AT WHEN DUE. IF PAYMENT TERMS ARE NOT MET, THE FINANCING COMPANY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REPOSSESS THE CAR .

WITH ALL OF THESE FACTORS, I CAN TELL YOU THAT ITS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE FOR AN AVERAGE NIGERIAN LIVING MONTH TO MONTH TO BENEFIT FROM SUCH SCHEMES EXCEPT YOU HAVE A WELL SECURED AND GOOD PAYING JOB.

I answered a specific question about the availability of car loans and you totally veered off course.

Was the average Nigerian earning 40 grand monthly able to afford tokunbo cars?
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by 989900: 6:19pm On Dec 31, 2014
frustratedman:
VOTE GMB FOR THE DESIRED CHANGE

VOTE GMB TO DELIVER US FROM ECONOMIC SLAVERY AND ANTI-HUMAN POLICIES

BUHARI TILL 2019

SAI BUHARI cool

LOL...Buhari will actually be the first to increase tariff on those, or ban them out-rightly.

P.S. I have nothing against the General...won't complain if he wins...it's some hell hole already.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by tbaby534(f): 6:42pm On Dec 31, 2014
We too import, let's start exporting, can you imagine d cost of 1 bitter cola is 10 dollars, convert that to naira and c for urself, not to talk of the 30% intrest cbn will also give u fir exporting, and its just 55k to start up just business. Jonathan should create an awareness campaign for such things and a platform also.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by t2luv1: 7:23pm On Dec 31, 2014
phantonce:
Why are nigerians short sighed?

One of my uncle recently bought a 2009 tokunbo suv for 2.5 million naira.

He didn't know he could get a brand new innoson suv for 3 million and naija made hyundai suv for 3.5m

Unbelievable. The cheapest Hyundai/Kia Suv sold in US has a MSRP of about $22,000, and that doesn't include the cost of some additional options. I know that $22000 is very much greater that N3.5M, so you are in essence telling me that Hyundai suv are cheaper in Nigeria than in US.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by oliverjiad(m): 7:37pm On Dec 31, 2014
Oga Fhemmmy abeg we get some black monkeys here dem no sabi reason matter to d public seriously angry
Fhemmmy:

How many of those companies already build the factory where the rides will be made or where they will be assembled? So why not wait till production has started before the policy . . . . If they are so confident in what they are doing, leave people with choices of either buy "Made in Nigeria" brand new or used that are imported . . . . . America produces and assembles and yet people still import rides there . . . Canada do same, so why do we have to force people to use ONLY "Made in Nigeria"
A nation where Quality is lacking as long as money exchange hands, will you trust the testing to be done well, if AT ALL?
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Dee60: 7:52pm On Dec 31, 2014
2014 New Year gift - Massive hike in fuel prices.
2015 New Year gift - Massive hike in vehicle prices

Lord, teach us to use our votes wisely. We must pray.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Nobody: 7:53pm On Dec 31, 2014
frustratedman:
VOTE GMB FOR THE DESIRED CHANGE

VOTE GMB TO DELIVER US FROM ECONOMIC SLAVERY AND ANTI-HUMAN POLICIES

BUHARI TILL 2019

SAI BUHARI cool
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by Nobody: 7:53pm On Dec 31, 2014
megacool360:

My brother the hole thing doesnt make sense, the cars are assembled not manaufactured, meaning all the part brought together are imported, hence they still depend on the dollar meaning if the dollar rises the price go up, how does this help the nation?

This crap policy will only end up makin the prices of cars go up, increasin gov purse. the automobile market will stil remain dependent on he foreign market. They are shouting job creation hw many job will this create at best 5000 where as million of Nigerians pay wey more. Na God go judge
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by 989900: 8:14pm On Dec 31, 2014
1. The increment is too steep.

2. We have corrupt enforcers.

3. We have Cotonou.

4. We have a very unstable Naira.

5. Low power generation.

6. Almost no refineries (which is sad) to make pump prices lower (vehicles need fuel+other economic reasons).

7. Government subsidized vehicle loans will be great, to speed up growth of local car manufacturers.

P.S. The intents are good, but the execution is poor as always.
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by oliverjiad(m): 8:30pm On Dec 31, 2014
keyman0007:

My brother the hole thing doesnt make sense, the cars are assembled not manaufactured, meaning all the part brought together are imported, hence they still depend on the dollar meaning if the dollar rises the price go up, how does this help the nation?

This crap policy will only end up makin the prices of cars go up, increasin gov purse. the automobile market will stil remain dependent on he foreign market. They are shouting job creation hw many job will this create at best 5000 where as million of Nigerians pay wey more. Na God go judge
bros I tire for mumu naija wey no get sense for here wey dey talk any how
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by jkross(m): 9:33pm On Dec 31, 2014
kennaustine:

Let them revitalise them before putting such policy in place....
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by jojoki: 10:29pm On Dec 31, 2014
kennaustine:

I pity your condition, I don't wish to use a bad words 4 u coz its a new years coming but nevertheless

There is God oooo

Looking 4ward to February to use my vote my power to make a positive
CHANGE

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by calculusx(m): 10:58pm On Dec 31, 2014
Fear Not. No sane Govt will implement such policy in Election year. I heard the news last week Thursday that the proposed increment will no longer be effected. Let Tokunbo buying and selling continues cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by otokx(m): 11:01pm On Dec 31, 2014
megacool360:

How many megawatts of power does South Africa generate?

1 Like

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by oliverjiad(m): 11:09pm On Dec 31, 2014
calculusx:
Fear Not. No sane Govt will implement such policy in Election year. I heard the news last week Thursday that the proposed increased will no longer be effected. Let Tokunbo buying and selling continues cheesy
gbayiii ogami,
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by oliverjiad(m): 12:06am On Jan 01, 2015
;DHappy new year ya all grin
Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by 19naia(m): 12:58am On Jan 01, 2015
Its common in many non auto making countries, to have high taxes on import cars.. Some countries will charge so much that after paying shipping, clearing with the tarriffs and taxes, the price of the car doubles without any margin for profit....
The common thing is that the countries have special arrangements with world automakers to supply cars to the Nations and exempt of the costly imort levy... So that the people are steered into buying from the Auto manufactures rather than after market imports...
The auto companies are the ones who lobby the governements for this, as a method to corner the market with added incentive for the government to make more money through added tax revenues and import levy....
In the end, the people pay the damages and the auto companies try to compensate with cheap cars that are made with less fashion and quality as cars from demanding markets like USA and Europe...

Eventually the governements start to expand import levies to every thing brought into the country, including private luggage of travellers..

Look up the import levies for import cars and other items in Philippines and thailand, Peru, Nicaragua and all the poorer countries in south and central Americas..
Its cheaper to own a car in USA than it is to buy one in these poor countries with low wages... To own a Mercedes Benz or Harley Motor cycle in these countries, will cost twice as much as in USA... Nigeria is simply agreeing with the new arrival auto manufacturers to do as has already been done in many countries with less wealth than even Nigeria...
My experience is, when you factor earned wage potential, cost and quality of vehicles and petrol products ,as well as availability of repair and parts technology, USA is the cheapest place to own a car, also consider USA's extensive and well developed highway networks to give automobiling a worthy place to thrive....

Arabian countries have very cheap petroleum products and some very good income earning potential, but they have to import cars and parts...
Japan and Korea make cars but petroleum is higher priced.. Japan has very high taxes just to own a car in places like Tokyo.. But they provide very good public transit systems..

Explore how the high cost to import cars in many of the worlds poorer countries, is affecting people there and their national economy...
Its mostly about shifting the after market import customers into the auto manufacturers market and building the industry in Nigeria for jobs and GDP... Nigerias poor roads and piwer supply and raw materials sector is defunct.. Only two things can happen, the defunct sectors of Nigeria will collapse the new auto industry and markets, or the new auto industries and markets will raise up the defunct sectors in the name of self preservation because Nigeria is a worthy place to invest because of the wealth which continues to grow... Yes the wealth is very poorly distributed...

1 Like

Re: New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 by calculusx(m): 1:15am On Jan 01, 2015
Happy New Year to all NLer

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/no-new-levy-on-tokunbo-cars-yet-jala/198079/?utm_medium=twitter

I hereby declare this thread closed till further notice grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Photos From The Official Launch Of Suzuki In Nigeria / Flying Car Crashes In Canada (Pictures) / Made-in-Nigeria Limousine And Hummer Jeep!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.