Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,958 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:20 AM

FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership (10187 Views)

. / Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy / APC/NASS Crises: Observation On The Major Players (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by Nobody: 11:38am On Jan 02, 2015
1. Formation
OIC was established in 1969 through a Saudi Arabian initiative, following the burning of the Al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem, which was considered an attack on the Muslim world. The Headquarters of the organisation are in Jeddah. The first meeting of the organization was held in Morocco in 1969.

2. Gen Yakubu Gowon
Yakubu Gown sent a Nigerian delegation as an observer led by Alhaji Abubakar Gumi to the OIC in its first meeting in 1969 in Morocco. Despite opposition. He Gowon, a Christian from Plateau State took the first set by sending Gumi to represent "Nigeria Muslims".

3. General Muritala Muhammed to Gen Muhammadu Buhari Regimes
The administrations of Muritala/Obasanjo, Obasanjo/Yaradua, Shagari/Ekweme and Buhari/Idiagbon refused to sign to Nigeria's full membership of the OIC despite pressure and intense lobbying from Saudi Arabia. They maintained that Nigeria is a secular state and not an Islamic country.

4. General Ibrahim Babangida
French news agency reported that Nigeria has been admitted into the organization as its 46th member in January 1986. Ebitu Ukiwe from Abia State, then a navy commodore and second in command to the then military President, Ibrahim Babangida, had it rough with that administration when he declared publicly that the decision to join OIC was not discussed at any level of government. Mr. Ukiwe's denial of the decision reportedly led to his forceful exit from government.

5. General Sani Abacha
Maintained Nigeria's membership despite calls for withdrawal from various groups including Christian Leaders.

6. Obasanjo/Atiku Abubakar
At the G-8 Islamic countries in Egypt in 2001, Obasanjo identified himself carrying Nigeria as an Islamic country by attending that meeting. His attendance cemented Nigeria's Status as a member of the OIC and an Islammic State.

7. Yaradua/Jonathan Administration Renewed Nigeria OIC Membership
On April 11, 2012 President Umaru Yaradua renewed Nigeria's membership the Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC), the same way IBB registered with the organisation in 1986, the Nigerian Ambassador to Saudi Arabia, Abdullahi M. Garba Aminchi, quietly visited Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu, the Secretary General of the Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC) and signed the new OIC charter on behalf of the Nigerian government.

Although this event was published on OIC's website the same day and widely reported in other Middle East media, it was not reported in the Nigerian media. The Nigeria Foreign Minister as at then Chief Ojo Maduekwe refused to speak on the matter.
http://www.elombah.com/index.php/articles-mainmenu/786-nigeria-rejoins-oic
8. Jonathan/Sambo Administration
There have been calls by religious groups and others to withdraw Nigeria's OIC membership. As at this day, Nigeria remains a full member of the OIC, and the President in its capacity appoints delegates to represent Nigeria in OIC.

ISLAMIC SUMMIT 2013, HELD IN CAIRO
President Ebele Goodluck Jonathan led Nigeria's delegation to the OIC Islamic Summit in 2013. Other delegates are...H.E. Dr. Nuruddeen Muhammed Minister of State II for Foreign Affairs, Amb Hassan Tukur (Foreign Affairs Minister), Amb. Abdullah Omaki, Abubakar Sheikh Bunu, Mr. Tijjani Hammanjodu, Mr. Suleiman Sani and Mr. Manir Ibrahim
See the Cairo 2013 attendance list...
http://www.oic-oci.org/external_web/is/12/en/docs/final/is12_lop_x1_en.pdf

6 Likes

Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by Nobody: 11:42am On Jan 02, 2015
Cc

Obinoscopy
Ishilove

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by Nobody: 11:44am On Jan 02, 2015
This thread was first posted in October 2014. https://www.nairaland.com/1970525/organisation-islamic-cooperation-jonathan-buhari

It ganered responses but not FP. Unfortunately, a mischievous thread https://www.nairaland.com/2072148/nigeria-history-organization-islamic-conference that sought to deny people information by experessing excerpts from opinion of "few" writers just to fraudulently accuse Muhammadu Buhari. Its purpose was to castigate buhari and blame him for the actions of IBB and others. Facts don't lie!

Happy New Year

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by temitemi1(m): 11:47am On Jan 02, 2015
That's why we need to say NO to buhari rule in this country... GEJ till 2019!!!

13 Likes

Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by omenka(m): 11:50am On Jan 02, 2015
Asking these guys to accept the truth is like asking Pope Benedict to prostrate before Ifa.

They've come to accept what they deem comfortable with their choice of candidate and no amount of persuasion could make them think otherwise.

I gave up on them sometime back.

Let them revel in their self delusion and ignorance.

5 Likes

Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by Nobody: 11:50am On Jan 02, 2015
We all expect that there will be a shift and a level of maturity from the moderators in this year 2015. In the spirit of fairness I am appealing to the moderators and super moderators to move this thread to FP so that forumites and guest will be furnished with what transpired.
Cc....
Berem Obiagelli Omenka jomoh egift caseless cleverly OrlandoOwoh Soroptimist keneking Gbawe, kel4soft, neenar, arewafederation, donphilopus, desola, whitecat007 ,keneking ,lakpalakpa, ShehuAba , Rawani, tribaleast kolaaderin soroptimist, Mynd44, , nduchucks, lacasa, pendy79, Omerta ilugunboy,naptu2, aussie, OAM4J, joseph1013 Olayinka8793 diluminati tundeajani laykorn,medamillion brimmie demdem nep2ra Louisvangaal jaybee3 p3ndy79 Odutodaiwa, NgeneUkwenu coolhamid

2 Likes

Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by Nobody: 11:53am On Jan 02, 2015
temitemi1:
Chairman, na reading be your problem or na comprehension? What role did Buhari play? Is Jonathan the same Jonathan that led Nigeria to OIC conference in Egypt or there is another Jonathan somewhere?

7 Likes

Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by Nobody: 11:58am On Jan 02, 2015
@ Omenka:
The sad thing is that the pdp e-thug have resumed their dangerous game of trying to pitch Nigeria Christians against Muhammadu Buhari through fraudulent means.

1 Like

Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by donphilopus: 11:59am On Jan 02, 2015
temitemi1:

Amidst all these, saying we should allow Jonathan continue till 2019 is like saying "God should allow your enemies/witches & wizards in your village to continue what they've started in your life till 2019." Brother, try reason well.

8 Likes

Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by vincencior(m): 12:00pm On Jan 02, 2015
Gradually the truth is coming to light.

1 Like

Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by jingh(f): 12:03pm On Jan 02, 2015
if this reach front page, I will hug finally agree nairaland is not pro-pdp website

1 Like

Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by Nobody: 12:06pm On Jan 02, 2015
barcanista:
This thread was first posted in October 2014. https://www.nairaland.com/1970525/organisation-islamic-cooperation-jonathan-buhari

It ganered responses but not FP. Unfortunately, a mischievous thread https://www.nairaland.com/2072148/nigeria-history-organization-islamic-conference that sought to deny people information by experessing excerpts from opinion of "few" writers just to fraudulently accuse Muhammadu Buhari. Its purpose was to castigate buhari and blame him for the actions of IBB and others. Facts don't lie!

Happy New Year
the thread you posted had no credible source, its was just a compilation i believe you did yourself and backing it up with the 2013 OIC membership attendance information link which is not the subject matter being discussed. The other thread on frontpage discusses fully on the history and how Nigeria got admitted into the conference. It is a work of renowned researchers and is verifiable. Please quit this emotional outbursts.

3 Likes

Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jan 02, 2015
thekingsmen:
that thread has no source
I did mention names of people and dates. I prefer people to research to confirm or refute whatever I post. This has been my patern of posting on nl. Politely ask for source of whatever Item and I will furnish you.

1 Like

Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jan 02, 2015
barcanista:
I did mention names of people and dates. I prefer people to research to confirm or refute whatever I post. This has been my patern of posting on nl. Politely ask for source of whatever Item and I will furnish you.
yes please can u furnish us with the full details and source of your info in your own thread. Lets start from there
meanwhile check out this citations buttressing this fact:

Matthew Uzukwu, Ph.D.
http://nigeriaworld.com/articles/2010/dec/171.html
To better predict a person's future behavior, it behooves one to study his or her past. It is therefore unacceptable and irresponsible of the Buhari supporters to ask Nigerians to jettison the past, simply roll the dice and hope that a Buhari presidency will be nirvana, attainable after "Uhuru," in the context of freedom from the national Kafkaesque situation which aptly describes the socioeconomic conditions of over 80% of the population. What is Buhari's most worrisome negative attribute? . Incontrovertibly, he is an authoritarian with an unbending will. An attribute such as this in a president of Nigeria is dangerous for the stability of Nigeria's young democracy, which requires presidential flexibility in governing its complex, multi ethnic and multi religious society. Buhari's unyielding personality was the main reason for his overthrow by Babangida who asserted such in a newspaper interview years after he left office. The decision to execute Bernard Ogedengbe, along with Lawal Ojulope and Bartholomew Owoh for hard drug offences, following the application of retroactive laws to convict Ogedengbe whose crime was not punishable by death when it was committed, was highly controversial in the military junta, for according to Babangida, Buhari insisted upon the executions being carried out, despite concerns expressed by some members of the then Supreme Military Council.

Buhari's authoritarian streak could conceivably cause a constitutional crisis and the Zimbabwenization of Nigeria should he be elected president, and the scenario could play out thus: President Buhari sends a bill to the National Assembly demanding pay cuts in the salaries and emoluments of the legislators, there is some resistance by the National Assembly, Buhari next goes on national television and demagogues the issue and threatens the legislators, pugnacious legislators dig in their heels and like George Bush tell Buhari to "bring it on," Buhari next assembles a bunch of lawyers and assigns them the task of finding provisions in the constitution that will allow him to suspend the constitution , the constitution is suspended and like the autocrat Mugabe in Zimbabwe Buhari appoints himself maximum ruler. The military, by now top heavy with Fulani officers, is then used to squelch opposition, next WAI is re-launched and Nigerians are subjected to the kinds of dehumanization reminiscent of the first WAI of 1984-85 when people were flogged by soldiers, and government workers arriving late for work, irrespective of age, were frog-jumped. In those days, many of these workers, especially the middle aged ones, collapsed from the sudden physical exertion forced on them. The above scenario should give cause for circumspection among those making the loudest clamor for a Buhari presidency.

Although Babangida took the rap for Nigeria's sneaky upgrade to full membership of the Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC), according to a study on Nigeria funded by the US Defense Department in the early 1990s, it was actually Buhari who without any regard whatsoever for the sensibilities of Nigerians of other faiths, submitted the application to upgrade Nigeria's membership from the observer status it had enjoyed since the Gowon regime to full membership. The OIC's review of the application was concluded after Babangida's palace coup. Rather than reverse Buhari's action, Babangida quietly allowed Nigeria's new status as a full-fledged member of the OIC to stand. Buhari's OIC action exposed him as a religious zealot, who will have no qualms in rousing and ginning up Sharia issues, quiescent for several years now following its aggressive unveiling in Zamfara, where Buba Bello Jangebe's wrist was amputated for stealing a cow, and Safiya Husseini was sentenced to die by stoning for adultery while her co-participant in the act was not prosecuted because he was male.
http://nigeriaworld.com/articles/2010/dec/171.html

- O.O. Familusi, Clarion University of Pennsylvania, Clarion, Pennsylvania
Journal of Sustainable Development in Africa. Vol 12, No 5, 2010

The move by Nigeria to join the Organization of Islamic Conference (O.I.C), initiated by Buhari and amplified by Babangida,
also almost tore the nation apart. General Babangida, whose regime was welcomed because of his restoration of the freedom
of speech after the days of Buhari/Idiagbon, shocked many Nigerians with this development. It was ironic that many of the
key members of his government who were Christians claimed to be ignorant of such move . The Christian community did
not take kindly to this and Nigeria’s total and immediate withdrawal was demanded. The Federal government was further
advised against joining because such constituted a threat to the unity of Nigeria (Kukah, 1994). For years, the status of the
country was unknown and at present it can not be said with precision whether or not Nigeria is a member. The recent
happenings in the Northern part of the country; especially the Boko Haram attack and recurring ethno-religious violence in
Plateau State, among others, suggest the strong influence of religion in Nigeria

http:/http://www.jsd-africa.com/Jsda/V12No5_Fall2010_A/PDF/Religious%20Politics%20and%20its%20Implications%20for%20Sustainable%20Development%20(Familusi).pdf

4 Likes

Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jan 02, 2015

1 Like

Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by vedaxcool(m): 12:23pm On Jan 02, 2015
Fairness demand this thread be pushed to the frontpage, Jonathan following the footsteps of his father IBB ensured Nigeria's membership in the OIC remains intact!
Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jan 02, 2015
[size=18pt]Jonathan is a Jew according to you APC louts... I thought he was fighting Islam and killing Muslims and also running a Christianization agenda and also operating a highly securalized government?

APC una no get head at all![/size]

5 Likes

Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by ogaLRNZH: 12:26pm On Jan 02, 2015
Good job Barcanista.

Too much misinformation on Nairaland.

Would you believe I am banned until Jan. 9 for the PTF thread?

Cant people share opposing opinion

1 Like

Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jan 02, 2015
Jonathan was also blamed for not supporting the Palestinina cause by tactfully abstaining in favour of Israel.

APC touts please try harder..

1 Like

Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by focus7: 12:29pm On Jan 02, 2015
MOD, front page.
Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by Djicemob: 12:29pm On Jan 02, 2015
in spite of all the rebranding and sugar-coating,it is still GMB who has a point to prove to people that he is not an extremist by fielding pastors as his running mates for the past two or three elections now.My questions are,why does he think he should always field pastors as his vice if he is clean and owes no one any explanation for religious extremism? why does he think he has something to prove as regards this? Is it a coincidence that the religious card been played by his opponents continue to set his chances back for sometime now? Do we conclude that there are atoms of truth in these allegations? For sake of positive change irrespective of religion,why can't he field a tested and trusted running mates in persons of Fash,oshiomole or Duke? He can't and won't cos i guess he needs a pastor to tone down his extremist image. No? #JustAsking

1 Like

Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jan 02, 2015
According to the APC on line shilling monkey crew; Jonathan is clueless, daft, dumb, a drunkard, corrupt, inept, a sponsorer of Boko Haram, a Jew, a friend of Israel which makes him an enemy of Muslims all over the planet, a crusading President bent on imposing a Christian agenda and to top it up now the sole force behind Nigeria's membership in the IOC.

APC una no dey try at all.

3 Likes

Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jan 02, 2015
Published on Thursday, 14 May 2009 15:51
Nigeria has rejoined the Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC), the same way it registered with the organisation about 23 years ago. On April 11, this year, the Nigerian Ambassador to Saudi Arabia, Abdullahi M. Garba Aminchi, quietly visited Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu, the Secretary General of the Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC) and signed the new OIC charter on behalf of the Nigerian government.

Although this event was published on OIC's website the same day and widely reported in other Middle East media, it was not reported in the Nigerian media.

When NEXT visited the Ministry of Foreign affairs for confirmation of this event, Ayo Olukanmi, the ministry's spokesman, declined comment. He said he needed clearance before he could do so. Also, calls made to the minister of Foreign Affairs, Ojo Maduekwe, were unanswered and text messages were not replied.

One week after the new romance with the organisation, the 12th Afro-Arab parliamentary conference was held in Abuja and the Speaker of the Nigerian House of Representatives, Dimeji Bankole became the president of the Afro-Arab Parliamentary Union, two years after Nigeria joined the union.

According to the new OIC charter, Nigeria shall be guided by the noble Islamic values of unity and fraternity, and affirm to the essentiality of promoting and consolidating the unity and solidarity among the member States in securing their common interests at the international arena.

In addition, Nigeria as a member state is obligated to endeavour to work for revitalizing Islam's pioneering role in the world while ensuring sustainable development, progress and prosperity for the peoples of member states; and to enhance and strengthen the bond of unity and solidarity among the Muslim peoples and member states.
http://www.elombah.com/index.php/articles-mainmenu/786-nigeria-rejoins-oic
Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jan 02, 2015
barcanista:
@ Omenka:
The sad thing is that the pdp e-thug have resumed their dangerous game of trying to pitch Nigeria Christians against Muhammadu Buhari through fraudulent means.
the will fail cowards
for those “politicians” who hide under the toga of men and women of God, this is not the time for religious politics; this change is beyond religious affiliations. It will be fundamental and revolutionary for it to be permanent; like cancer, its treatment will not be superficial; it will involve a paradigm shift; a change in the psyche of all
Nigerians, a renewing of our minds.
Change is Here!!!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by vedaxcool(m): 12:34pm On Jan 02, 2015
ogaLRNZH:
Good job Barcanista.

Too much misinformation on Nairaland.

Would you believe I was banned for the PTF thread?

It seems deliberate on NL, suppressing the truth while promoting falsehood against GMB.

But falsehood like illusion is bound to fade . . .

3 Likes

Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jan 02, 2015
Babangida upgraded Nigeria's role in the Organisation of the Islamic Conference (OIC, now the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation), from an observer status to full-fledged membership. After public outcry and denial by Babangida, the John Shagaya panel was instituted to determine Nigeria's status in the OIC, subsequently confirming membership and making a recommendation for withdrawal from the body. Commodore Ebitu Okoh Ukiwe, the first Chief of General Staff-in command, was 'dropped' by Babangida. Ukiwe had been opposed to the registration of Nigeria, a secular country, in the OIC.

Nigeria has never been withdrawn from the OIC and remains a member. Sani Abacha, who overthrew the Interim National Government set up when Babangida was forced out of office again unilaterally registered Nigeria as a member of the D-8 (Developing-cool, an organisation for development cooperation among Bangladesh, Egypt, Indonesia, Iran, Malaysia, Nigeria, Pakistan and Turkey. The D-8, an idea proposed by then Prime Minister of Turkey Necmettin Erbakan in October 1996, is a "cooperation among major Muslim developing countries".
Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jan 02, 2015
By Prof. Omo Omoruyi

"There is no doubt in the minds of General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida (IBB) when he converted the Nigerian involvement from that of an Observer to that of a Full Member of the OIC in 1986. It was meant to stop the gimmick of that nebulous concept, 'observer status' and reenact the plan of General Murtala Muhammed to make Nigeria an Islamic Republic in the fashion of Libya. It was his untimely death that interrupted the plan. Murtala's death did not kill the plan, as his followers in the military and in civilian wings of the geo-ethno-military-clique, that is the northern leadership were aware of the plan and pushed it to the Constitution Drafting Committee (CDC)".

"But the period of General Babangida (1985-1993) represented the beginning of unmitigated Islamization of Nigeria. General Babangida was one of the loyal followers of General Murtala. This was why General Babangida took the fateful decision in 1986 to face the Nigerian Christians in particular and Nigerians in general with the plan of Muslims. He without the approval of the governing organs of the Federal Military Government organized a mission led by a non-member of the Government, the Sultan of Sokoto to formally admit Nigeria into the Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC). When the Chief of General Staff, Commodore Ubitu Ukiwe complained that he knew nothing about it and definitely said that he could not remember the matter coming to the Armed Forces Ruling Council (AFRC), he was shown his way out. The Christians took it. The Christian leaders bought the plan of the Military President to keep them talking under the auspices of a 20-man panel to 'examine the implications of the country's full membership of the organization'. This was a diversion and the Christians were victims. This was not all."

"Under President Obasanjo Nigeria openly participated at the President's level in the activities of the D8 with the attendance of the President Olusegun Obasanjo at 3rd Summit of D8 in Egypt on February 24, 2001. One should ask some questions for the President of Nigeria to answer."

http://nigeriaworld.com/feature/publication/omoruyi/0307001.html
Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jan 02, 2015
The main aim of this thread is not to clear Buhari of making Nigeria a full fledge member of the OIC but to highlight the OIC initial stance on Israel to which Jonathan has rubbished. We maybe a member state not because of this administration but that does not make us play along their demands.

Jonathan did not initiate membership or promote us to a full fledge member but what Jonathan has done is to rubbish our membership to OIC as merely symbolic. Now that is the gain of this administration we must appreciate. We maybe members owing to past administrative moves but our membership stops merely at that.

This is the main problem..

[size=18pt]OIC proposes severing ties with countries that recognise Jerusalem as Israel's capital[/size]

The secretary general of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu, has indicated that the foreign ministers who represent the organisation's member states will discuss a recommendation during their meeting in Conakry to sever diplomatic ties with countries that either recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital or transfer their embassies there.

According Ihsanoglu's statement: "a special ministerial session on the status of Jerusalem will take place on the sidelines of a ministerial meeting in Conakry to discuss the legal and international aspects needed to curb the Israeli violations in the holy city."

Ihsanoglu explained that: "the ministers will discuss another recommendation to coordinate the Islamic efforts in the UN Human Rights Council to thwart Israel's attempt to delete the seventh item from the council's agenda, which addresses the status of human rights in the Palestinian territories."

The secretary-general also said that "it is important to convene a special OIC session at the UN Security Council," explaining that "the organisation has become an important lobbying force at the UN by supporting resolutions on crucial issues, and thus it is considered an important force in any reform process anticipated in the UN."

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/news/middle-east/8453-oic-proposes-severing-ties-with-countries-that-recognise-jerusalem-as-israels-capital
Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by ogaLRNZH: 12:44pm On Jan 02, 2015
GMB for President.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jan 02, 2015
Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jan 02, 2015
By Rev Dr. Danjuma Byang
It was Gen Ibrahim Babangida who stealthily attempted to smuggle Nigeria into the Organisation of Islamic Conference (OIC) in January 1986 when he sent a secret delegation to register Nigeria as the 46th member of the body without the knowledge of even his second-in-command. Some western press reported it. And when Nigerians began to ask government officials if the news were true, the secretary General of OIC, Sharifuddin Pirzada, confirmed it by sending congratulations to Nigeria on her successful admission as the 46th member. What followed made Babangida realize that he could not take Nigerians for a ride. Except for some few Muslim apologists who tried to justify what Babangida did the whole Nigerian people stamped their feet against it. Babangida had no choice but to withdraw Nigeria from OIC.

Since then no president or head of state has revisited the OIC imbroglio, that is, until when Chief Obasanjo came! During much of his first term in office he kept Nigerians wondering what the attitude of his government was to OIC. Unknown to Christian and the stakeholders President Obasanjo had secretly re-registered Nigeria in OIC. Mallam Kabiru Yusuf of Weekly Trust, writing on “Nigeria in OIC” has revealed, “Ironically, Nigeria has become more active in the OIC since this government, led by a born-again Christian, came to power. May be this is because President Obasanjo understands and is pre-occupied with international relations more than most Nigerian leaders. Also he has greater freedom for action, for who can suspect him of any attempt to islamicise Nigeria!” It is not that Obasanjo knows more international relations or has more freedom than the others; it is just that he thinks he can take Nigerians for a ride. http://www.gamji.com/article5000/NEWS5267.htm
Re: FLASHBACK: The Major Players In Nigeria's O.I.C Membership by ogaLRNZH: 12:53pm On Jan 02, 2015
barcanista:
By Rev Dr. Danjuma Byang

Wow.
OBJ and OIC?

Surprising

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Boko Haram: World Bank Allocates $800m For Rebuilding North East / Tax Returns: Reps Probe Uber, Bolt, Other Transport Firms / Plateau South Women, Youths Faults Sahara Reporters Report On Senator Daduut

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.