Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,582 members, 7,809,112 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:34 PM

OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND (41343 Views)

8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND / OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND / Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by DancingSkeleton(m): 12:22pm On Jan 03, 2015
Obadiah77:

You are stupidd
he don cut chain holam holam holam
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by DrFunmi(f): 12:22pm On Jan 03, 2015
greatestman:

Please don't render abuse, this is my opinion if you have different opinion you can said it out. Thank you
Sorry, I feel polytechnic is better than COE.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Fadelex(m): 12:22pm On Jan 03, 2015
here we go again...... most HND holders are just not privileged like Bsc holders. that's the only difference I see. I have HND and I'm presently doing my postgraduate diploma with some Bsc 3rd students (3rd class or those changing fields) and I can boldly say it's just lack of opportunity, I am better off most of them. I did my professional exam and I came first I d midst of many Bsc holder. it's so depressing when you see people you're better off being placed above you just because of the title of their certificate. if polytechnics and university students are given same platform and materials I bet you'll not be able to differentiate. meanwhile I will rather go to polytechnic and do a course with a career prospect than go to university and get a degree in a field that has no career prospect

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by kristen12(f): 12:25pm On Jan 03, 2015
So people with HND should throw their certificate away abi or languish in self pity.
You people should create threads that will better people life and not discourage them

4 Likes

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by samkolo(m): 12:26pm On Jan 03, 2015
am in 400 level-unilag...an assignment that was given us in 300 level was said to be given to yabatech students as project.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by McLove(m): 12:26pm On Jan 03, 2015
Obadiah77:

You are lying, am not insane
an insane man will never confess/agree he is insane

1 Like

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by swimcash(m): 12:26pm On Jan 03, 2015
@op, ur r even wrong 4 comparin a Bsc holder wit an Hnd holder. d distance is far great, everi1 knws Bsc is far greater. polytechnic is lyk a last option. in any government parastatal, d highest level an Hnd holder can obtain is level 14 y a Bsc can raise 2 a director. so d diff is far clear.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by kazmanbanjoko(m): 12:27pm On Jan 03, 2015
Still on dis matter again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by clevvermind(m): 12:27pm On Jan 03, 2015
Fadelex:
I think most of these moderators are smoking weed. who is that stupi.d and retarde.d moderator that hid my comment. yes, I booked space, how is that your father's business? what is the essence of modifying ur post. most of u need to be educated. seun should call his dogs to order.

so far I'm going to modifying my post, you have no right whatsoever to hide my post.
take it easy na. Talking like this can make them to ban you.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Duru009(m): 12:28pm On Jan 03, 2015
Well said. The truth is bitter. But dat is it.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by AdekunleBalogun: 12:29pm On Jan 03, 2015
Are you for real, still on this issue.... Even the white people that invented all this certificate knew they are not the ultimate thing as they do not guarantee success. Education is not determined by your certificate but by ur ability to use what you've acquire interms of knowledge to better ur life and ur environment, who cares which certificate dangote acquired not to talk of Adenuga and Otedola and the rest and yet we claim to have a PHD holder at the helms of affair and things are falling apart. I've seen an HND holder who is better than many B.SC holders likewise B.SC who are brilliant at what they do, what I think we should be more concern about is the quality of education our tertiary institution offer to our students and government should try as mush as possible to create more opportunities for our timid youths.

2 Likes

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by greatestman(m): 12:29pm On Jan 03, 2015
DrFunmi:

If we look at job prospects, do you that someone with Business Education can work in Bank and Teach as well (Which give him adage over someone with ND Business Administration)
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by richardjemedafe1(m): 12:30pm On Jan 03, 2015
greatestman:

College of Education is by far better than Polytechnic.
but sir what are ur reasons??
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Fadelex(m): 12:31pm On Jan 03, 2015
clevvermind:
take it easy na. Talking like this can make them to ban you.
they should quickly do that. most of them behaves like a ruthless dictator. they do things to show they are untouchable. people book space everywhere, in church, lectureroom, bank, concert and so on. y should it become a crime to do that on nairaland.

3 Likes

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by OrlandoOwoh(m): 12:31pm On Jan 03, 2015
haitto99:
front page...hmmmm. although I hv a b.tech degree in engineering,but to be sincere HND graduates are more practical oriented than b.sc holders,talking from the engineering point of view
That is a big lie. Where do polytechnics get funds from? Is it not from the same governments that give more funds to universities? The crane in Spider Building, OAU, Ile-Ife alone can buy the faculty of engineering of any polytechnic.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by fashrola(m): 12:32pm On Jan 03, 2015
Lol.... This Topic got my lmfao... like seriously? Comparing B.Sc with HND? When thousands of B.sc holders are roaming the streets of Nigeria looking for a meagre job? Even HND Holders too. @Op You should rather post ways on how to curb high rate of unemployment in Nigeria

I'm a graduate of the Maritime Academy of Nigeria, an HND holder in Marine Engineering with an Officer of the watch certificate of competency from NIMASA,currently working as a third Engineer onboard an AHTS Vessel, what I was taught whilst in school has really helped me to achieve my dreams in life..(theoretical and practical doing my Sea phase training after my National diploma)

It's not all about your degree or diploma, it's all about what you want in life.... A common cook and steward onboard a ship are earning more than 200k a month, some AB are earning more than a Branch manager of a financial institution and these are people with only FSLC.

When I first got my ND,most of my friends kinda brag about their B.sc and B.Tech blah blah...seriously I was depressed cos I didn't know what the future had in store for me..But I pressed harder to become a better man...here I am now

Please dis shouldn't be something we should be debating rather we should look for possible ways to work hand in hand with the govt for more funding of polytechnics, mono technics, and universities and how we can make our country a technological-advanced country

Thank you y'all

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by PStacks(m): 12:33pm On Jan 03, 2015
Forgive me anyway..

I'm a university product tho! But not withstanding, I think HND is more of Practical and Hands-on while BSc is just mere theory.

If u ask me. I prefer a practical student to a theoretical student.

How can u explain a Graduate Mechanical Engineer from a university not being able to open his car bonnet to atleast take a look at what went wrong with his car stoping in the middle of the road, instead he chose to look for a nearby roadside mechanic to fix mere alternator that happened not to be charging his car battery, boasting to the mere mechanic how he studied mechanical engineering from Unilag..

If u ask me, who is more of a mech engineer? Its the road side mechanic ooo rather than the B.Eng graduate who knows nothing practical about how a simple internal combustion engine operates..

HND is more practical work and BSc is just theory and story.

Its so unfortunate that things that makes waves abroad are things we take for granted in nigeria..

In london, Barbers make hell of money, taxi drivers make hell of money, Baby-sitters make hell of money

But in nigeria, if u are a barber, u are on ur own, if u drive a taxi, u are finished, if u wash plates in a restaurant u are finished in naija,

But u have people leave naija and go abroad to do all this manial jobs and come back with plenty money and form boss here.

That tells us of mis-placed piorities in the system.

Until HND is promoted over BSc, until god given skills and talents are appreciated in naija then our society would be in reverse mode.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jan 03, 2015
abanicool:
Nonsenses thread..........dis op get tym to write dis thrash...........OP.....i can say dat u got it all wrong frm ur No 1 to 8.....poly students re more smarter dan university students...........nd moreover.....everything lies in one destiny weather u attend poly or Uni,,,,there re pple wit HND Holder wit a very lucratic employment(fat payment) while there re Bsc Holder wit a (lean payment)...Nigerians is all about Connection in terms of ur Grades?
Read what you wrote and see weda it makes sense
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Obadiah77(m): 12:34pm On Jan 03, 2015
McLove:
an insane man will never confess/agree he is insane

ediotic moroborostic angry
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jan 03, 2015
Let the war begin!!!
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by OrlandoOwoh(m): 12:35pm On Jan 03, 2015
DrFunmi:

It depends on the programme. HND may be higher than NCE, but NCE, in terms of level and salary paid, is higher than OND.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by captainjay(m): 12:37pm On Jan 03, 2015
Op. U r kind of person dat underate n neva appreciate pple choice. If u have Bsc is for ur fathers name not mine. U may have Bsc bt useless to society. I made a gud choice in life after uni-ilorin denied m for 3yrs wt 200-218 in jamb scores. I thank God i made a choice n studied civil engineering in poly of which i did 22 courses in final yr. Confirm from anyone in IOT Kwarapoly. I am thanking God i am working wt international construction company earning 160k monthly wen dose who have BSc still sitting at home. in 21st century i mean in nigeria you dont survive by where you studied you survive by what you know.

5 Likes

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Obadiah77(m): 12:37pm On Jan 03, 2015
DancingSkeleton:
he don cut chain holam holam holam

Idiomatic.ediotardiatistic fool angry
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by greatestman(m): 12:37pm On Jan 03, 2015
richardjemedafe1:
but sir what are ur reasons??

Job prospects, Courses like Biology, Chemistry, Vocational/Technical Education are double measure and have better job prospect. Don't you observe that most Diploma Holder are rejected if it comes to teaching jobs?.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by hardayemmie(m): 12:37pm On Jan 03, 2015
Sodiq3:
Let me book space. This thread has a bright future. I'm sorry. Will definitely come back to make a reasonable comment when it makes front page.

Sodiq I they on top tree they watch u cheesy
Sodiq3:
Let me book space. This thread has a bright future. I'm sorry. Will definitely come back to make a reasonable comment when it makes front page.

Sodiq I they on top tree they watch u
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jan 03, 2015
richardjemedafe1:
Hello my fellow Nairalanders,
My name is Richard jemedafe from Plateau State
(Nigeria) I have a problem that is given me Sleepless
night.But I know that Nairaland is the best place to
get advice.
I wrote jamb this year and my jamb point was
179(which can't take me to University of my choice)
so I Applied for Pla poly (state polytechnic) To study
Business Administration and management. (I got
admission)
And I also got admission Into Federal COllege Of
Education Pankshin to study. English/SOS. (which I
also got Admission)

Nairalanders I need ur advice which should I go
to??College of Education And polytechnic which
is better,best and preferable??
Thenks

Go to the college of education....and read English. I guess you could get into University that way....(My problem with Business admin is that jobs are not easy to come by.....with a College of Educaiton qualificaiton....you could get a job teaching...and later upgrade to degree).

Or if you are patient (like two of my secondary school classmates back in the day) write JAMB again...and get the course you want.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by tobaflexy(m): 12:39pm On Jan 03, 2015
U D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ crazy
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by DrFunmi(f): 12:40pm On Jan 03, 2015
PStacks:
Forgive me anyway..

I'm a university product tho! But not withstanding, I think HND is more of Practical and Hands-on while BSc is just mere theory.

If u ask me. I prefer a practical student to a theoretical student.

How can u explain a Graduate Mechanical Engineer from a university not being able to open his car bonnet to atleast take a look at what went wrong with his car stoping in the middle of the road, instead he chose to look for a nearby roadside mechanic to fix mere alternator that happened not to be charging his car battery, boasting to the mere mechanic how he studied mechanical engineering from Unilag..

If u ask me, who is more of a mech engineer? Its the road side mechanic ooo rather than the B.Eng graduate who knows nothing practical about how a simple internal combustion engine operates..

HND is more practical work and BSc is just theory and story.

Its so unfortunate that things that makes waves abroad are things we take for granted in nigeria..

In london, Barbers make hell of money, taxi drivers make hell of money, Baby-sitters make hell of money

But in nigeria, if u are a barber, u are on ur own, if u drive a taxi, u are finished, if u wash plates in a restaurant u are finished in naija,

But u have people leave naija and go abroad to do all this manial jobs and come back with plenty money and form boss here.

That tells us of mis-placed piorities in the system.

Until HND is promoted over BSc, until god given skills and talents are appreciated in naija then our society would be in reverse mode.
This is not true.
With the level of decadence in the educational system, polytechnic students hardly do quality practical work due to the state of the lab facilities and equipment. At the end of the day, most poly students still end up doing more theory than practical. The only difference is that uni grads do more theory than they do.
Besides, what differentiates a manager of a bank and an artisan on the street? Their ability to use their brains, not their muscles! Why do you think that the companies pay employees who sit in offices big salaries wile paying peanuts to the staffs actually doing the strenuous work? Cos, brains and intellects cost more than muscle work!
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by McLove(m): 12:42pm On Jan 03, 2015
Obadiah77:

ediotic moroborostic angry
actually, am not used to e~fights but what you typed now shows Obadiah77 is insane
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jan 03, 2015
DrFunmi:
Success in life should not be determined by our alma mater. I believe that everybody has a chance to be successful whether they went to a university or polytechnic. Our success is in our hands. This write-up is not meant to degrade HND holders. I am one of those that are strongly against the discrimination against HND holders. However, the reality on ground (due to the discrimination) is that BSc is still more superior to HND and I have given reasons below to state the obvious but bitter truth.

1 Entrance Qualification - The entrance qualification to the university is more stringent than that to the polytechnic. The UTME cut off for universities is higher than that of polytechnics. All universities require a minimum of 5 credits in WASSCE/NECO while most polytechnics accept 4 credits as minimum requirement. It is well accepted that the entrance qualification to any institution says a lot about the prestige attached to such institution.

2 Quality of Lecturers- You cannot compare the quality of lecturers in the university to that of the polytechnic. Most university lecturers are professors and PhD holders with decades of teaching and research experience to show for it. Some of them are universally renowned professors. The head of universities are always renowned and experienced academic professors. Most Master degree holders in universities are mere assistant lecturers. The same cannot be said of polytechnics where most of their 'experienced' lecturers are mere BSc holders. Most rectors of polytechnics are Msc holders, only a few have PhD. Even corps members lecture polytechnic students. Has it ever occurred to you why polytechnics find it hard to employ even their own products (HND holders) to lecture? Instead, they employ mostly university grads to teach.

3 Research Work- University is the bedrock of research work. Research work lays the foundation of advancement and any sane society will rate any higher institution by the quality of their research. Unfortunately, the quality of research work in Nigerian universities is poor but this is still far better than that of polytechnics that do absolutely nothing (or very negligible research work).

4 Funding- Universities are much more funded than polytechnics. One of the metrics for determining the quality of an institution is the level of funding. No wonder, the government and the media pay more attention to the demand of ASUU over ASUP. Thus, you will expect a product of a university to be better trained than that of a polytechnic.

5 Quality of students - The brightest, youngest and most motivated students go to the universities. Go to a polytechnic and what you will see a lot of dejected, not-so-young students who have written UTME many times but have not succeeded. A few in the polytechnics are young and bright, but they are few and far between. The majority of young and bright students, just fresh from secondary school are found within the 4 walls of the university. Thus, most university grads are of higher intellectual quality than their poly counterparts.

6 Size and Beauty of Campus - A lot can be said about the quality of an institution by the architectural structures of the institutions. Let's take the elite universities and polytechnics in Nigeria for instance. One cannot compare the architectural edifices in the prestigious OAU, UI, ABU, UNN, UNILAG, UNIBEN to that of Yabatech, Kadpoly, Auchi, Bida Poly or any polytechnic in Nigeria. No polytechnic in Nigeria can even compete with some 2nd and 3rd generation universities like FUT Minna, UniJos, FUTA, etc in terms of structures.

7 Preference / Demand - The preference for BSc is higher than for OND/HND. All or almost all aspiring students wish to go to the university. Employers generally prefer BSc holders over HND holders. HND holders are seen as middle level manpower (That was the intent when polytechnics were initially created). There are more opportunities for BSc holders not just within the country but outside Nigeria. Jobs and scholarship opportunities abound for BSc holders and undergraduates while it is almost non-existent for HND holders.

8 Self Esteem - Last but not the least, an average BSc holder is more confident than an average HND holder. This is however not the fault of HND holders who unfortunately have to face stiff discrimination in the labour market, thus negatively impacting on their self esteem.

I must say I appreciate your efforts for you to have consider it necessary to come out with this submission, though I'm of University product, I keep wondering anytime this issue is on TV, Amongst students and Poly lecturers on the basis for which this issue is based on, with your submission I think i now have better understanding.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Deapexboy(m): 12:46pm On Jan 03, 2015
tosyne2much:
Fine !!! I'm an aspiring HND holder and I've got a thousand ways to make money (Entrepreneurship rocks my boat).. Make una sit down dia dey carry Bsc for head while I keep driving my jeep grin

Jamb entry level or not, discrimination or not, Bsc superiority or not, it will neva change the fact you can never be successful than your destiny

I think we should be more concerned about how to meet the needs of ourselves, our parents and those looking up to us rather than ruling the juxtaposition between Bsc/HND

oga y dy u paral lyk dis?

99.9% of student in poly,were push there by jamb nt their will...

Weda HND or BSc..it can't keep food on ur table...

Until jamb start making poly entry requirement dsame as universities,dis problm can't stop

#peace#
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Obadiah77(m): 12:46pm On Jan 03, 2015
simplibaba:

Are u sure ??

ask google, edioti angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Death Of OAU Best Graduating Student Announced On Convocation Day / This Is Why They Always Tell Us To Read Instructions Before Starting Exam / Shalom Academy Nsukka Student Makes 9 A1s In The Just Released WAEC.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.