Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,964 members, 7,806,787 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:12 AM

Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One (26780 Views)

A Thread To Remember Our Lost Loved Ones / What's Your Favourite Memory Growing Up In Nigeria? / In Memory Of My Baby """"2001 - 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by safarigirl(f): 3:48pm On Jan 03, 2015
Mine is my mother.

Sometime in February of 2003, I was 9 years old, so I and my siblings were dressed up to go out with my uncles and then my siblings started making fun of my clothes. They said I had no dress sense and most of my clothes didn't fit.

I got mad and said I wasn't going out anymore, so my mum pulled me to a mirror and made me look at my reflection and said, "You're a beautiful girl and your clothes are fine, don't listen to them, you're the most fashionable child in this house. Don't ever allow what anyone says make you cry.". I eventually went along, but I did waste enough time to ensure we didn't stay as long as intended at the amusement park.

She died the next year. She was 39.

Care to share yours?

47 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by phemswag: 4:09pm On Jan 03, 2015
safarigirl:
Mine is my mother.

Sometime in February of 2003, I was 9 years old, so I and my siblings were dressed up to go out with my uncles and then my siblings started making fun of my clothes. They said I had no dress sense and most of my clothes didn't fit.

I got mad and said I wasn't going out anymore, so my mum pulled me to a mirror and made me look at my reflection and said, "You're a beautiful girl and your clothes are fine, don't listen to them, you're the most fashionable child in this house. Don't ever allow what anyone says make you cry.". I eventually went along, but I did waste enough time to ensure we didn't stay as long as intended at the amusement park.

She died the next year. She was 39.

Care to share yours?
Considering the fact that we've never struck any form of conversation whatsoever before now, quoting you might seem absurd...but HE who has always kept you is not about to stop now! HE WILL ALWAYS BE THERE FOR YOU MA'AM! I've always envisioned you as a very strong woman and always credited your momma for building you so, buh never imagined you lost her at so young an age. If you knew her for just about 10 years and you are this strong, then believe me when I say YOU'VE GOT A GREAT MUM. GOD BLESS YOU ma'am.

63 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by DesChyko: 4:12pm On Jan 03, 2015
My Grandpa..

Early this year. Had a row with an elderly man in the village over electricity issues.
I was capable of handling the man myself but when word got around that I was involved in a physical tussle with that man, my grandfather who was down with partial stroke clothed himself for the first time since his return from the hospital, came out and took the fight into his own hands.
Everyone who knew his medical condition were surprised.
I was impressed and learnt a great lesson then.."Despite all hinderances, never desert family".

He was aged 84.

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by MissSlimbody(f): 4:46pm On Jan 03, 2015
DesChyko:
My Grandpa..

Early this year. Had a row with an elderly man in the village over electricity issues.
I was capable of handling the man myself but when word got around that I was involved in a physical tussle with that man, my grandfather who was down with partial stroke clothed himself for the first time since his return from the hospital, came out and took the fight into his own hands.
I was impressed and learnt a great lesson then.."Despite all hinderances, never desert family".

He was aged 84.

I think u meant earlier last year, we're in 2015 already smiley

6 Likes

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by DesChyko: 4:48pm On Jan 03, 2015
MissSlimbody:

I think u meant earlier last year, we're in 2015 already smiley

As in ehn.. How time flies..

2 Likes

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by safarigirl(f): 5:24pm On Jan 03, 2015
phemswag:
Considering the fact that we've never struck any form of conversation whatsoever before now, quoting you might seem absurd...but HE who has always kept you is not about to stop now! HE WILL ALWAYS BE THERE FOR YOU MA'AM! I've always envisioned you as a very strong woman and always credited your momma for building you so, buh never imagined you lost her at so young an age. If you knew her for just about 10 years and you are this strong, then believe me when I say YOU'VE GOT A GREAT MUM. GOD BLESS YOU ma'am.
Thanks a lot sir. She was a great mother while she was around. She's responsible for most of my 'out there' beliefs grin

4 Likes

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by safarigirl(f): 5:28pm On Jan 03, 2015
DesChyko:
My Grandpa..

He was aged 84.
sounds like he was a really strong man.

I wasn't really close to any of my gransparents. My paternal grandparents were both dead before I could even talk. My maternal grandma died in 03, before that she had a stroke the day of my birth, she spent the rest of her years paralysed..

My maternal grandfather is still alive, but I haven't seen him since my mother's burial, he's in his 80's as well, but I hear he's suffering from dementia now. Your grandpa must have been very cool
Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by phemswag: 5:42pm On Jan 03, 2015
safarigirl:
Thanks a lot sir. She was a great mother while she was around. She's responsible for most of my 'out there' beliefs grin
She obviously was. I can tell she's proud of you and every of your decisions, gleaming in the joy of how much she imparted in you before leaving for a better place.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by phemswag: 6:30pm On Jan 03, 2015
Mine was my grand mum. That woman was the NICEST person I've ever met all my life. She could do anything to please even the strangest stranger. I spent most of my childhood holidays with her. I remember a time I just got back from such holidays cos school had resumed (Primary 1 or so) and I was missing her so much already after 2 days (I was about 5 years old then), I was able to convince my elder brother who is two years older than I am on a plan to sneak to her place. The next day, after dressing up and bidding our parents good bye for school, we started our "Sneak to Grandma's" quest and eventually got lost (btw, we've never been there on our own plus its a 45mins drive from my house...Long story short, after wandering the whole of Kaduna State, we were taken home by good Samaritans. My house was filled to the brim! Everyone believed we've being kidnapped. My mum was weeping, everyone couldn't just believe what we had done. I remember my dad beating the living daylight out of my 7year old elder brother for conceding to my ideas (nobody believed those ideas were mine anyway). She died 2013. At age 80.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by DesChyko: 6:41pm On Jan 03, 2015
safarigirl:
sounds like he was a really strong man... Your grandpa must have been very cool

Strong and determined, he is.
But cool?? Choi.. The man sabi vex oo.

Old age brings dementia most often. Sad thing watching the usually active folks being all weak and forgetful.

2 Likes

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by safarigirl(f): 6:43pm On Jan 03, 2015
^^ that's a funny story. If it was my pops, you would've gotten your own ass-whooping as well even if you were 3 years old
Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by safarigirl(f): 6:45pm On Jan 03, 2015
DesChyko:

Strong and determined, he is.
But cool?? Choi.. The man sabi vex oo.

Old age brings dementia most often. Sad thing watching the usually active folks being all weak and forgetful.
lol.

When I was younger and we would visit my grandparents, my grandpa had this obsession with a volvo car my mum gave him, so whenever we sat on the boot, he'd be shourting at us in Igbo and telling us to get off his car, he rarely used it, but you dare not get close to it......I think most old men tend to be grouchy at certain pre-dementia points

3 Likes

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jan 03, 2015
I'm sorry for your loss, dear. I have yet to personally experience the death of a family member. I say personally because I've known of family members who've passed on, all without exactly having known them. I never had the honor of meeting them, my own grandparents inclusive. The only brutally devastating experience I've had is the death of a man that was not yet, but could've been my family. We were engaged at the time he died in an accident we were both involved in, yet here I am nearing the anniversary of his death once again. He's been on my mind lately...even so, I really don't know what I'd share, or if I even want to considering the fact that 'relief', for me, eventually came in the form of suppressing my memories.

I'm glad you have a favorite memory you can look back on peaceably.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jan 03, 2015
My dear friend
She was my knight in shinning armour and everything anyone could ask for in a friend
There was this time I got into trouble with some guys
Babe singlehandedly cleared the mess
The last time we saw was 2012
She died last year, due to childbirth complications
I didn't make it to the hospital before she gave up
I didn't see my friend before she left

7 Likes

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by safarigirl(f): 7:49pm On Jan 03, 2015
Zeemoor:
My dear friend
She was my knight in shinning armour and everything anyone could ask for in a friend
that's the worst thing, not seeing that person before he/she dies.

The day my mum died, she just went to work and never returned. We were informed of her death the next day. Sorry for your loss sister, may God grant her eternal rest. Did the child survive!

2 Likes

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jan 03, 2015
My elder sister

She was the rythm of the whole community..Very sturbborn,agile and beautiful but we bonded like never...She contributed to the position I find myself today,which she unfortunately wouldn't be alive to reap from when I make it embarassed.....
She stands up for anyone who is being treated unjustly...
We got seperated by condition and reunited in 2009,after which we were seperated again till feb last year when she came to say her final bye.
She died Feb 14,2014.
Aged 19+.
Her 20th birthday was supposed to be Dec 24,2014 sad

27 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by 100Cents: 8:03pm On Jan 03, 2015
My dad, epitome of character. Handsome man to the core. Faithful man to God and to his wife. Best father. Taught me as a kid. I became the class best from nursery till senior waec. Dad is a dogged believer in good education and being the brightest.

I know where he is. When he left, everyone had the same story to tell about him. Dad preached to everybody around as if the world was ending tomorrow. He lived a life of purpose. Died at 60 when I least expected.

The only man I can say I loved.

12 Likes

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jan 03, 2015
safarigirl:
that's the worst thing, not seeing that person before he/she dies.

The day my mum died, she just went to work and never returned. We were informed of her death the next day. Sorry for your loss sister, may God grant her eternal rest. Did the child survive!
Amen
~
No, the child didn't survive
He only lived for a few hours after birth

We lost mother and child that same day

3 Likes

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by safarigirl(f): 9:44pm On Jan 03, 2015
Zeemoor:

Amen
~
No, the child didn't survive
He only lived for a few hours after birth

We lost mother and child that same day
heart-breaking. The husband must have been devastated.

2 Likes

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jan 03, 2015
My Grandmother

She was a woman who was not only kind to her family, friends and relatives, but neighbors as well. She sold little food items, and anytime I met her I was always sure I'd go home with something. It wasn't much, but it was worth treasuring. She had a name which she alone called me, 'Bobobo' (pronounced Bor-Bor-Bor).

She just had ways of cheering you up, and scolding you when you did wrong. Above all, she was a crime detective. Lol. You can't do anything wrong without her knowing, and even if you did, she'd go down to the last detail and expose that little crime of yours.

My Dad has a shop, and there are some hired workers he had. Most times, they'd either take items or money and think no one was seeing them, not knowing besides the big eye above, there was another one watching them. She kept quiet though, silently observing. When their cup was full, grandma had had enough and she exposed them to my dad one after the other. After hours of constant interrogation, they finally admitted the crime and once again, grandma won! grin

She died in 2010. sad

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by Nobody: 10:16pm On Jan 03, 2015
safarigirl:
heart-breaking. The husband must have been devastated.
To say he was devastated is an understatement
He was utterly heart-broken and almost ran mad
Their marriage was just a year
It's over 6 months now and he's still battling severe depression
Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by Jennydoris(f): 10:59pm On Jan 03, 2015
My Aunt
My Teacher
My Confidante
My God mother.

She was sick.......
Diabetic so to say. So down. Stayed in the hospital for some days and nights. And was later discharged to go.
She had only one son. Took me as her daughter. Am welcomed at any time in her home. She is always happy seeing me around.
She tells anyone that cares to listen that am her daughter.
And seriously, if you don't know my biological mum you will think she is the one.
We look alike.... Very much alike.

I got so close to her and she got so close to me.
We talked and discussed things.
Everybody was so happy to have her back from the hospital.
Until the sickness came back again.
And again we left to the hospital. She strongly with a brave heart fought like a heroine and we all left the hospital once more.
I was so happy to hear she is back to her normal self..
Only for me to get a news.... A bad one at that. She had an accident...
Oh! The doctors said she will make it... but later around 12 AM of September 27th 2013....... She left us to the world beyond... cry...

It was a sad day... A frightful day.
I lost the sight of sleep.
I lost the taste of food.
I lost my confidante.
Happiness eluded me.
I can't question God's designs. For He made us and takes us if it pleases him... It was a painful loss.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by juman(m): 11:01pm On Jan 03, 2015
Zeemoor:
My dear friend

People still die due to childbirth. What a clueless and useless kinds of "leaders".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by juman(m): 11:10pm On Jan 03, 2015
Despite my uncle died at an old age, his death was so painful.

May Almighty Allah put him in aljanat firdaus. Bi jai muhammad wa alihi baitihi.

7 Likes

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by Jamean(f): 12:34am On Jan 04, 2015
Samuel Ikakah of blessed memory. June 18, 2005.

My high school classmate and closest friend. Was severely sick for a while, had gotten better about to be discharged the next day, but just died that night at about 10:12pm.

I called him at 10:02pm..his phone log showed I was the last person he spoke with.

We planned to attend same university, and do a lot of things together. BUT.....

*walks out of thread with tear drop*

12 Likes

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by safarigirl(f): 4:19am On Jan 04, 2015
juman:

People still die due to childbirth. What a clueless country with useless kinds of "leaders".
there is no country in the world that people don't still die of childbirth complications.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by Nobody: 5:47am On Jan 04, 2015
my daddy, of blessed memory.

I was pregnant at 16 and I relocated to a small town to birth and nurse before moving' on with my life. the last time. I saw him alive he came to make peace. He played with my baby, the only grandchild he would ever know. He even advised me to breastfeed him well. I knelt down and begged for forgiveness and he looked me in the eye and said he had forgiven me. when he was going to the car he turned one last time and waved. The next thing I heard was that he was battling with a serious illness some weeks later, and he never recovered.

I remember every detail from that meeting because it was the third time I saw him that year.

every thing I thought I'd do to impress him... too late.

Nov 27th, 2005.

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by obicentlis: 8:30am On Jan 04, 2015
My dad. When I was growing up, we were best friends that he never called by my name but "oga" "master" "Nnamukwu" "landlord". In short he worshipped me though I was the last boy of 5 boys and 5 girls,,his love then was as a result of story of me being the reincarnated being of his oga , who also doubled as his cousin. His oga died bf 35 during the civil war but has made so much money , own properties in the major cities of Nigeria. His oga was the only child of his mother and was the only eye of the extended family. His death devastated the whole family even till now he's still reverend. Now, incarnation of a tin, d transferred that love to me. I was the best price of the family but when I reached adolescent, I became another thing to dad, we always quarrel and he treated me bad but later I found out he was afraid that d love could spoil me. But one funny memory about him is a little advice he gave me that "good things don't finish", so many good things are yet to come after I was depressed that I never got a financial muscle to execute a project that would have fetched me my first million, this memory and advice have kept me all these years. He died 2008 of prostate cancer surgery when I was writing my final exam. The worst moment in my life. I wish he is around to see how far his advice has led me. Very intelligent man who only had standard 6 education but wrote n spoke fluently like an English professor. His wealth of wisdom immeasurable. Though he is dead but his goodwill still see me through in many places with just a mere mention of his name. Today is exactly 7 years he gave me my upkeep money to go back to school with advice and promised to send me more money which he did on sick bed.

10 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

I'm Building A Future Not Supported By My Wife / My Husband Wants To Use Me For Money Rituals / My Wife Prefers Staying At Home All Day Doing Nothing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.