Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:05 AM

Turbo In Cars - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Turbo In Cars (1528 Views)

Would You Buy This 5,600mile 1994 Toyota Supra Turbo For N36 Million? (photos) / Check Out This 10 Cutting Edge Technologies Soon To Be Used In Cars. / Is It Still Official Or Legal To Ship In Cars Older Than 15 Years? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Turbo In Cars by milestonejnr(m): 12:33am On Jan 04, 2015
A turbo is simply a hot air pump that channels or forces more air into the engine; with more air, the engine can generate more power which efficiently improves performance. Turbos are fitted in cars to increase power output instead of increasing the size of the engine.

This turbo is mounted in the exhaust system. The exhaust gas that exist from the engine drives the turbine which turns the compressor, pulling in air and compresses it and then channeled to the cylinders. Turbo is driven by the waste energy from the exhaust gas.
With engine at idle, the turbine spins with minimum speed and as more gas passes through the turbine, it spins faster and at full speed, the turbo rotate at about 240,000 rpm.

Why should Turbo be used?

It improves response across a wider engine operating range
It improves fuel economy
It enhances engine braking - this happens when the retarding force of the engine is used in slowing down the vehicle instead of the external applied brakes
It allows vehicle manufacturers to use smaller engine packages to achieve a given power outputs
You can reach your optimal rpm quickly thus improving boost delivery.
It cut emission of carbon-monoxide to the environment.

Source:http://emekaani..com/2015/01/turbo-in-cars.html
Re: Turbo In Cars by derbybliz(m): 12:43am On Jan 04, 2015
Nice write Bro, First to comment.....can I add turbo to our old volkswagen bettle?

1 Like

Re: Turbo In Cars by milestonejnr(m): 10:28am On Jan 04, 2015
derbybliz:
Nice write Bro, First to comment.....can I add turbo to our old volkswagen bettle?

I don't want to misinform you dear. I haven't seen where it is done before.
To me, it is not necessary because the car is kind of old and I don't know whether the Old German machine will be compatible with the modern turbo technology.
You can as well try it out and share your experience later.
smiley

2 Likes

Re: Turbo In Cars by emperorizzy(m): 2:39pm On Jan 05, 2015
And how much would it cost in naija
Re: Turbo In Cars by Export1: 8:56am On Jan 07, 2015
The basic principal behind turbocharging is fairly simple, but a turbocharger is a very complex piece of machinery. Not only must the components within the turbocharger itself be precisely coordinated, but the turbocharger and the engine it services must also be exactly matched. If they're not, engine inefficiency and even damage can be the results. That's why it's important to follow correct installation, operating and preventative maintenance procedures.

Source: http://www.kadekticaret.com/whatisaturbocharger.htm

3 Likes

Re: Turbo In Cars by milestonejnr(m): 1:01pm On Jan 07, 2015
Export1:
The basic principal behind turbocharging is fairly simple, but a turbocharger is a very complex piece of machinery. Not only must the components within the turbocharger itself be precisely coordinated, but the turbocharger and the engine it services must also be exactly matched. If they're not, engine inefficiency and even damage can be the results. That's why it's important to follow correct installation, operating and preventative maintenance procedures.

wow...thanks for the insight.
Re: Turbo In Cars by icemann(m): 8:49pm On Jan 08, 2015
Export1:

All these men. way dey copy and paste.

The priciple is based on Gas laws, If you know Gay-Lussac's law it would be alot easier to understand.

Let me explain in lay mans terms

Your engine is a combustion chamber(it burns Gasoline), and combustion is a combination of fuel(gasoline), air and fire(from your plugs)
when combustion happens, carbon (from the hydro carbon octane which is the major component of gasoline) mixes with oxygen to form Water, carbon dioxide(co2), carbon monoxide(co) and Energy. It is and Exothermic reaction( Heat is released ) the process of combustion causes expansion (The Gas molecules co2 and co are excited due to heat and causes excessive vibration there fore the expansion) and the expansion forces the piston downwards(Combustion phase of a 4 cycle engine)

Now this is the supercharging and turbo charging part

Cause the process of expansion and combustion is limited to the cylinder volume at full expansion we could "cheat" by forcing in more air molecules in side the combustion chamber and get more expansion and reduce the amount of incomplete co to co2 (aka more oxygen and a cleaner burn) . Sounds easy right? Hell no.

Pressure laws states that increase in pressure causes increase in temperature at fixed volume and reduce pressure would cause cooling all at fixed volume. (that is why your deodorant spray and insecticide gets cold when almost empty).

So if we compress air it would get hotter, Not nice for your engine. Hot air would cause Pre-ignition and the Knocking sound. But what of the knock sensors? The cant do anything now, why? The knock sensors adjust flow rate(air and fuel) to reduce knock, but the air hot enough to burn even before the compression stage starts.

So how do we cool the air? We use and inter-cooler, Its a heat ex-changer/radiator for the compressed hot air. It cools the compressed air before it goes into the engine.

Sounds easy right? But now here is the difficult part, How do you know what size of each component you need?
The turbos are rated in output pressure and flow rate, PSI and cubic inches respectively (Americans and field units, yeye people). And the inter-cooler are rated in BTU's (heat is measures in joules and yes America again)

Now the Engineering part.

So you are compressing from 14.7psi (atmospheric pressure) to 25psig (note psi is different from psig, The G means gauge, so 25 psig is 25+14=39psi)

Let me stop here for now my oga de look me some how. I would do the engineering later.

4 Likes

Re: Turbo In Cars by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jan 08, 2015
^^^ trac lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Turbo In Cars by milestonejnr(m): 5:16am On Jan 09, 2015
icemann:

All these men. way dey copy and paste.

The priciple is based on Gas laws, If you know Gay-Lussac's law it would be alot easier to understand.

Let me explain in lay mans terms

Your engine is a combustion chamber(it burns Gasoline), and combustion is a combination of fuel(gasoline), air and fire(from your plugs)
when combustion happens, carbon (from the hydro carbon octane which is the major component of gasoline) mixes with oxygen to form Water, carbon dioxide(co2), carbon monoxide(co) and Energy. It is and Exothermic reaction( Heat is released ) the process of combustion causes expansion (The Gas molecules co2 and co are excited due to heat and causes excessive vibration there fore the expansion) and the expansion forces the piston downwards(Combustion phase of a 4 cycle engine)

Now this is the supercharging and turbo charging part

Cause the process of expansion and combustion is limited to the cylinder volume at full expansion we could "cheat" by forcing in more air molecules in side the combustion chamber and get more expansion and reduce the amount of incomplete co to co2 (aka more oxygen and a cleaner burn) . Sounds easy right? Hell no.

Pressure laws states that increase in pressure causes increase in temperature at fixed volume and reduce pressure would cause cooling all at fixed volume. (that is why your deodorant spray and insecticide gets cold when almost empty).

So if we compress air it would get hotter, Not nice for your engine. Hot air would cause Pre-ignition and the Knocking sound. But what of the knock sensors? The cant do anything now, why? The knock sensors adjust flow rate(air and fuel) to reduce knock, but the air hot enough to burn even before the compression stage starts.

So how do we cool the air? We use and inter-cooler, Its a heat ex-changer/radiator for the compressed hot air. It cools the compressed air before it goes into the engine.

Sounds easy right? But now here is the difficult part, How do you know what size of each component you need?
The turbos are rated in output pressure and flow rate, PSI and cubic inches respectively (Americans and field units, yeye people). And the inter-cooler are rated in BTU's (heat is measures in joules and yes America again)

Now the Engineering part.

So you are compressing from 14.7psi (atmospheric pressure) to 25psig (note psi is different from psig, The G means gauge, so 25 psig is 25+14=39psi)

Let me stop here for now my oga de look me some how. I would do the engineering later.

Thank you oga Icemann. What a wonderful explanation you gave. I really enjoyed reading it cos u made everything look simple and easy to comprehend.
Re: Turbo In Cars by icemann(m): 3:45pm On Jan 09, 2015
lomomike:
^^^ trac lipsrsealed

I don't know who he is. If you have been here long enough you can tell we are different, very different in the way we approach and discuss science topics.
Re: Turbo In Cars by icemann(m): 4:27pm On Jan 09, 2015
Yes i continue.

So for those of you that ran way from Physics and chemistry class in secondary you can now skip this part cause the road is getting bumpy.

Like i said you need to know the gas laws to keep up.
we use P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2 (combined gas law)
P1=Atmosperic pressure
V1 volume
T1 Temperature

P2 = Compressed pressure
V2 = Comp Vol
T2 = Comp temp

we hold volume constant(Your cylinder has a fixed volume so flow rate from the turbo is the same)

p1= 14.7, P2 =39.7, T1 = 80F (300 kelvin) T2 ?

We solve for T2 = 810 Kelvin =980F (jesus)

Next stop we find the flow rate .

So at this point Only Chemical and Mech Engineers would get it.

We use the Mollier Diagram. It gives us BTU" per mol but we dont know how many moles in a flow.

Have i lost you yet? I hope not

Next we use the Ideal Gas Law equation
PV=ZnRT

n= Number of moles
R= constant( is the ideal, or universal, gas constant, equal to the product of the Boltzmann constant and the Avogadro constant)
8.314 J·K−1·mol−1 or 0.08206 L·atm·mol−1·K−1or ≈2 calories
T = 810kelvin
P= 39.7 Psi
V= can be calculated from the diameter of the compressor opening and pressure. (Hydraulics class my people). or we can just copy what the manufacturer puts out on the compressor/turbo.

Z= z factor (you need a z factor chart, and it usually ranges from 0.9 to 0.7 for air depending on the temp and pressure).

Like i said engineers only.

How much gas is present could be specified by giving the mass instead of the chemical amount of gas. Therefore, an alternative form of the ideal gas law may be useful. The chemical amount (n) (in moles) is equal to the mass (m) (in grams) divided by the molar mass (M) (in grams per mole):

n = m/M
By replacing n with m / M, and subsequently introducing density ρ = m/V, we get:

PV = RTm/M

I got this one from Wikipedia.

So with the Mollier Diagram and the moles we can find the amount of heat in BTU's and choose a heat ex-changer.

Sounds easy and straight forward right? Hell No.

We forgot safety factor. Now that can only be determined by experience and Lab experiment.

Now you see why employers require 10 years experience.

Thanks for Reading.

1 Like

Re: Turbo In Cars by icemann(m): 5:49pm On Jan 09, 2015
milestonejnr:

Thank you oga Icemann. What a wonderful explanation you gave. I really enjoyed reading it cos u made everything look simple and easy to comprehend.

You are welcome.
Re: Turbo In Cars by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jan 09, 2015
icemann:

I don't know who he is. If you have been here long enough you can tell we are different, very different in the way we approach and discuss science topics.

I did not say you're him, I only referred your post to seem like his.
Re: Turbo In Cars by icemann(m): 7:30pm On Jan 09, 2015
lomomike:

I did not say you're him, I only referred your post to seem like his.
icemann:

Read the bold again.

(1) (Reply)

The Hidden Danger Of Worn Out Shock Absorbers / Honda Transmission / 2017 Honda Ridgeline: It's A Pilot But A Pick-up Truck (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.