Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,578 members, 7,809,096 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:00 PM

Plz Help Me On Transmission Issue (updated) - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Plz Help Me On Transmission Issue (updated) (7479 Views)

Help With Brainbox And Transmission Issue / Toyota Camry Transmission Issue / These Habits Will Kill Your Auto Transmission Fast Please Avoid Them. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Plz Help Me On Transmission Issue (updated) by chukel(m): 6:30am On Jan 23, 2015
obicentlis:

So, how do I get to replace or fix it?
gazzuz sent u some pics of an opened engine earlier to show u the position of the knock sensor. follow that lead. if ur car is a 6cyl, u will see a plastic connector in front or behind bank 1 and bank 2 cylinders. bank 1 cylinders are the 3 cylinders close to the wind shield while bank 2 are the ones infront of the car. you can still google the location of knock sensors in your engine to get better pictures.
Re: Plz Help Me On Transmission Issue (updated) by ACOgp: 8:27am On Jan 23, 2015
Decotech with respect to our last discussion on phone, this is my personnel line 08037507620.
DECOtech:

When to Replace Your Automatic Transmission
Fluid
The Toyota Maintenance Guide for the four-cylinder Camry 5SFE engine says to inspect the automatic transmission fluid (ATF) every 30,000 miles. It doesn't say when or whether to replace the fluid, but in general, mechanics recommend a simple "drain-and-fill" every 30,000 miles. With most. automatic transmissions, ATF operating at or below 175 degrees F should last close to 100,000 miles. But for every 20-degree increase in temperature, ATF fluid life is cut in half. Cars can reach temperatures of 210 degrees or more during towing or stop-and-go summer driving. Fully synthetic ATF can withstand approximately 225 degrees before thermal breakdown.

When ATF breaks down, it "cooks," or oxidizes, losing its detergent and lubricating properties. It turns from bright red to brown or black, and has a burnt smell. Oxidized ATF can cause buildup of varnish and sludge.

Draining and Replacing the ATF
An ATF drain-and-fill is similar to a motor oil change, except there is no paper filter element to replace, and not all the fluid is drained. There is an internal metal mesh filter within the transmission drain cover, but it does not have as fine a mesh as an oil filter, and rarely requires replacement. The
drain plug is a 10-mm indented hex bolt requiring a hex socket. You add the new transmission fluid by removing the fluid level dipstick, and inserting a narrow-mouthed funnel into the dip stick tube. Approximately 2.6 quarts of fluid can be drained from the transmission oil pan, and replaced via the dipstick. Considerable fluid will remain in the transmission's torque converter, the transmission oil lines, and the radiator. If the fluid is dark red and has not turned brown, it’s okay to mix old and new fluid without flushing. But if the fluid is brown or black, a complete flush of the system would be in order. This would require about four additional quarts of oil.

How Flushing the ATF Works
The purpose of a 'flush' is to pump out as much as possible of the old oxidized ATF fluid out of the transmission and fluid lines. The engine's hydraulic pressure pumps new ATF through the system to push out an additional 4 quarts of trapped ATF. Before doing a flush, perform a drain-and-fill and drive the car for a few days. The new fluid's detergent additives will dissolve harmful deposits from transmission components. Once these deposits are broken down and suspended in the fluid, a flush will remove them. Even after doing a complete flush of an old, high-mileage Camry, you can expect the ATF to turn dark again within six months. At that time you can do a simple drain-and-fill or repeat the flush. The fluid should now stay red much longer.
Re: Plz Help Me On Transmission Issue (updated) by aboki2000(m): 4:06pm On Apr 08, 2015
obicentlis:
I recently worked on my Toyota Siena 1999 model. I replaced the top and on the process I changed the gear oil. I used dextron 111, after about 500miles the car refused to select gear 4 & 5. I checked the oil, it has turned to black, I changed the oil again but it's still not selecting all the gears. I hardly overtake due to this issue.

The experts here, please what should I do?

Is it to change the gear or any other possible solutions?

Please if you have had this experience, don't read and pass.
Thnx.
undecided

Re: Plz Help Me On Transmission Issue (updated) by fm7070: 6:24pm On Apr 08, 2015
@Decotech. Pls where can I get the tranny fibres for my gear changed.
What is the average cost of doing this.
Re: Plz Help Me On Transmission Issue (updated) by DECOtech(m): 6:49pm On Apr 08, 2015
fm7070:
@Decotech. Pls where can I get the tranny fibres for my gear changed.
What is the average cost of doing this.

Firstly, I ask; What diagnosis was conducted to conclude your tranny fibers need changing?

MY ADVISE: To be on the surer side(due to a recent expirience), replace the entire transmission, enjoy ur ride n be happy.

REASON: Here in Nigeria, we don't have shops that sell brand new tranny parts. So, to fix your transmission, we wld have to cannibalise another transmission (of uncertain condition) to salvage parts. What if the whole exercise fails after the job?

So I wld prefer to get another tranny, and if it fails within its warranty period, I can return it and receive another one.

If you still want to go ahead with changing tranny fibre, pls find my contact in my signature below.

Cheers.
Re: Plz Help Me On Transmission Issue (updated) by nickxtra(m): 9:14am On Apr 16, 2015
mayor2013:
Go run a scan on your transmission
Pls what is the possible cost for a scan on a Nissan Primera car?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photo: Hyundai Sonata 2015 Vs Honda Accord 2015 / [b]daihatsu Hijet Vs Suzuki Every[/b] / Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.