Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,846 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:18 AM

'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB (22680 Views)

'Text' Received By Senators To Accompany Saraki To Corruption Trial - Sahara R. / I Won’t Stop Talking Of Corruption During Jonathan’s Govt—buhari / I Can't Promise My Government Will Find Missing Chibok Girls - Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by Flye: 4:10am On Jan 06, 2015
ABUJA— Former Military President, Gen. Ibrahim Babangida (retd), has said that he should be regarded as a saint given the level of corruption that pervades the Nigerian society today.

Babangida also scored himself high in the management of the economy during the eight-year period of his administration, claiming that he actually worked hard to end the menace of corruption rather than promote it.

According to Babangida, those who held contrary opinion about the activities of his regime did so out of ignorance of what he did while in office.
Babangida’s claims are contained in the latest edition of the Economic and Financial Crimes quarterly magazine, Zero Tolerance, a copy of which was obtained by Vanguard in Abuja yesterday.

The former president said he was able to manage the economy and still left surplus in the treasury with a paltry $7 billion oil revenue compared to what is being earned by the government today.

He stated: “Maybe I have to accept that but anybody with a sense of fairness has no option but to call us saints. I give you an example, in a year; I was making less than $7 billion in oil revenue but in the same period there were governments that were making between $200 billion and $300 billion.

“With $7 billion, I did the best I could but with $200 billion there is still a lot to be achieved. I don’t have all the facts but if what I read in the papers is what is currently happening, then I think we were saints.”

Babangida further claimed that he did his best to stabilise the Naira, leaving the exchange rate at N22 to the dollar, saying that the current exchange rate in the country was not his making.
The Naira is exchanging for between N193 and N200 depending on where and when, following the slight devaluation of the Naira in the wake of plummeting oil prices.

$12.4 Gulf War oil windfall
Asked what he did with the $12.4 Gulf War oil windfall, Babangida further said that he used the money wisely on what he described as “regenerative investment,” giving examples with the building of Abuja City and the Lagos Third Mainland Bridge as some of such investments.
He also stated that contrary to insinuations in many quarters, the oil windfall revenue was not stolen as, his administration channelled the money into the provision of critical infrastructure that Nigerians were using today.

He said: “I am not an economist but I have an understanding of what this is. Our argument then was if you have the money then why keep it and be looking at it when you have a lot of things to do that will benefit the ordinary man? So that money was not stolen.

“Let us take Abuja for example. I built it. Today, we have a brand new capital; we used that money. I gave you a Third Mainland bridge, Lagos, which you cannot build today with all the money that Nigeria is making.”

Most investigated ex-president in Nigeria
The former leader, who recently hosted President Goodluck Jonathan in his expansive mansion in Minna, the Niger State capital, said he was not worried over the corruption toga being bandied about him and his administration, claiming that it was a mere perception thing.

He said he remained the most investigated former president in Nigeria but was happy that nothing incriminating had been found against him to justify the claim that his government was corrupt.
According to him, “now, even our fiercest critics give us credit for certain things we did. I have been the most investigated president Nigeria has ever had. By now somebody should have come forward to say here it is. Every government that came after me investigated me because of that perception because they wanted to retrieve the billions that I stole.”

On June 12 election
On why he annulled the June 12 election won by his late friend, Chief M.K.O. Abiola, IBB said he had given the reasons in the past but pointed out that the very people who claimed to support the election were the same who turned round to work with the military junta and made it to perpetuate itself for many years.

He said: “All those who fought for June 12 ended up serving the military government they didn’t like and that perpetuated a longer stay of the military in government.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/01/corruption-im-saint-ibb/?utm_source=&utm_medium=facebook

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by Pavore9: 4:17am On Jan 06, 2015
IBB wants to be beatified a Saint?.... lf l hear! On a lighter note, the current corruption level can inspire such thought as corruption is now currently downloading at 512 tetrabytes per second!

131 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by LRNZH(m): 4:19am On Jan 06, 2015
IBB, the gap toothed Evil Genius aka Maradona is trying to defend himself against corruption.

OK.That's one defence out of so many he needs to make.
Let's have a quick list:

June 12 Annulment
Letter Bombs and Dele Giwas
Mysterious Plane Crashes with High Ranking Military Officers
Stolen Gulf War Oil Windfall ($12Billion)
IMF SAP and Devaluation of Naira
The Wipe out of Middle Class
The Crippling of the Navy and Airforce
Massive Entrenchment of Corruption in the Civil Service
Registered Nigeria in OIC (Organisation of Islamic Countries)

When IBB and his goons finish defending him against all these points, then we can sit down and look at all the evidence against him.

And to think that he's the only past President that publicly supports GEJ, I SMH in pity. Aves of a plume congregate perpetually.

GMB 2015. Anti-Corruption is in our DNA

130 Likes 13 Shares

Re: 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by temitemi1(m): 4:22am On Jan 06, 2015
The real general is talking n nt those general without certificate grin grin... IBB support GEJ!! GEJ till 2019!!!

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by FastShipping: 4:24am On Jan 06, 2015
He didn't tell us how much he borrowed from IMF but only told us he was making $7B in a year. He also told us building Abuja and bridge in Lagos. What else did he do?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by NaLaugh: 4:24am On Jan 06, 2015
Mr. man, no one is buying what you're selling.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by Osarieme415(m): 4:25am On Jan 06, 2015
He will rot in hell

7 Likes

Re: 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by golor(m): 4:26am On Jan 06, 2015
Same thing goodluck Jonathan will say,when he leaves office.simple truth no deh dis politician dem mouth

11 Likes

Re: 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by mrmetoo1: 4:29am On Jan 06, 2015
temitemi1:
The real general is talking n nt does general without certificate grin grin... IBB support GEJ!! GEJ till 2019!!!

Seriously how is this seen as an endorsement? You do realize he just called himself a saint compared to Jonathan. He basically called this administration highly corrupt and non-functioning

164 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by Flye: 4:39am On Jan 06, 2015
Lucky77:
This is a big blow to GEJ and his followers. Thought IBB was his man!!!
IBB institutionalized corruption and we thought we had seen the worst back in those days.
Now the level of corruption has gone astronomical that IBB can raise his head and heave a sigh of relief that he was saint afterall.
Tooooo baaad.

Pangea:
grin
Jonathan! see what you have caused ?
I no blame am Sha!
Anyone that sees what is going on now
Will definitely declare the devil a born again grin
temitemi1:
The real general is talking n nt does general without certificate grin grin... IBB support GEJ!! GEJ till 2019!!!

If this man supports Gej then Nigeria has finished.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by Nobody: 4:42am On Jan 06, 2015
GEJ atrocities in government in terms of corruption,inefficiency,and cluelessness on how a country should run has really made some personified looters look like a saint..

GEJ,should better be packing his luggage to go back to his village.

Even the devil is ashamed of his corrupt acts.

78 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by fkaz(m): 5:16am On Jan 06, 2015
Former Military President, Gen. Ibrahim Babangida (retd), has said that he should be regarded as a saint given the level of corruption that pervades the Nigerian society today.

So sad that president Jonathan a PHD holder will bring good governance to a abysmal, to the extend IBB rate himself high.

47 Likes

Re: 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by fkaz(m): 5:20am On Jan 06, 2015
temitemi1:

What a shame

37 Likes

Re: 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by otbliz(m): 5:35am On Jan 06, 2015
IBB get mouth sha, but i hope he was telling this to his great grand kids when some just journalist was snooping around.

Cos if he expects a full grown adult to believe that, then he is way over his head

8 Likes

Re: 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by seunfly: 5:44am On Jan 06, 2015
otbliz:
IBB get mouth sha, but i hope he was telling this to his great grand kids when some just journalist was snooping around.

Cos if he expects a full grown adult to believe that, then he is way over his head

My brother, it is like seeing a case that is worse than your own. You will call yourself a saint when you see a situation that is by all mean worst than expected.

21 Likes

Re: 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by SweetJoystick(m): 6:02am On Jan 06, 2015
In other words GEJ government is the most corrupt in Nigeria history if his (IBB) government is a saint compared to what's obtainable in the present administration

24 Likes

Re: 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by otbliz(m): 6:06am On Jan 06, 2015
seunfly:

My brother, it is like seeing a case that is worse than your own. You will call yourself a saint when you see a situation that is by all mean worst than expected.

I feel you

2 Likes

Re: 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by huptin(m): 6:07am On Jan 06, 2015
GEJ na wa o

2 Likes

Re: 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by huptin(m): 6:08am On Jan 06, 2015
See what GEJ has caused even Babangida is now a saint when compared with the level of corruption in this era. IBB instituitionised corruption GEJ simply privatised and deregulated it.

77 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by omenka(m): 6:19am On Jan 06, 2015
"When a man sees his end he tries to believe there was some purpose to his life"- Emperor Marcus Aurelius. [Gladiators]

What else can one say?? No wonder his "son" says stealing is not corruption. Blood is indeed thicker than water!

25 Likes

Re: 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by DancingSkeleton(m): 7:03am On Jan 06, 2015
who devil wan preach to undecided angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by jingh(f): 7:04am On Jan 06, 2015
replying to the heading
he was a saint to the level of corruption we are now
Ibb is corrupt but JONATHAN drink, eat, wear, bath with, sleep with, party with, CORRUPTION.
if we allow him another four years ! dats will be the greatest misfortune to happen to any country

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by Nobody: 7:04am On Jan 06, 2015
Good old Maradona.....SAINT MARADONA....now in new improved packaging!

4 Likes

Re: 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by Nobody: 7:04am On Jan 06, 2015
click like if u still want goodluck to stay wink

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by PerfumeRepublik: 7:05am On Jan 06, 2015
We Yaff Hear .
The funny thing about this thread is many will come here and talk about ibb based on what they heard from their parents and other àdults.
Tons of neophytes outchea tryn hard to be relevant grin
Re: 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by Nobody: 7:05am On Jan 06, 2015
[size=30pt]HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA [/size]

1 Like

Re: 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by donmalcolm21(m): 7:05am On Jan 06, 2015
Who gives a 2cents about what IBB says? Saint IBB: pray for Us
Re: 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by gsparks01(m): 7:05am On Jan 06, 2015
GEJ don suffer

1 Like

Re: 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by bunmioguns(m): 7:05am On Jan 06, 2015
Just don't know what to type

Speechless

3 Likes

Re: 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by Nobody: 7:05am On Jan 06, 2015
is this man still alive?
Re: 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB by FastShipping: 7:06am On Jan 06, 2015
bunmioguns:
Just don't know what to type

Speechless

grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

AGF Sends Criminal Allegations Against Onnoghen To NJC / APC Suspends Abe, Wechie, Aguma, Boms / Igbo Businessmen Urged To Invest At Home To Boost South-east Economy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.