Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,876 members, 7,802,814 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:28 PM

It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? (171449 Views)

My Husband Rubs ‘Anointing Oil’ On His Manhood Before We Have Sex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by ireke(m): 10:05am On Jan 07, 2015
I didn't check pages 1-3 to see if anyone has given this response so bear with me if it's a repetition.

My personal opinion and practice is this. Since se.x with my wife is not a sin in the sight of God then I abstain from se.x during fasting just like I would abstain from food. One I won't do it before breaking my fast because it will sap my energy. Secondly, I only abstain from se.x for deliberate reasons not because I'm afraid it will render my fasting ineffective.

For me, Se.x with my wife is actually a godly exercise.

2 Likes

Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by Hannibie: 10:06am On Jan 07, 2015
Skanas:
If sex btw married couples is no sin, I see no reason y they should'nt have sex during fasting....make una stop to de over stress tins joOoor...minyl, Wea e de for bible
you need to read your bible. If you choose to fast then do it as it should be done, if you can't then don't bother.. abstaining from sex during fast shouldn't be problem for someone who knows the true meaning of fast and who has a functional relationship with God not just a church goer or a christian by name. It's so sad reading some comments, it shows this generation only carry bibles if at all we do but no one is studying it, we blindly wait for our pastors to feed us and then decide what it's convenient for us to follow..it's a tragedy
Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by stainlessnature: 10:09am On Jan 07, 2015
robosky02:

with the new year around. lots of churches seem to be holding fasting programme. raging from 7 days to as much as 100 days fasting. a question that was put to me by a newly wedded woman is this:

"What scriptures teach that fasting and/or refraining from sex during a fast, and/or denying oneself lovemaking to your spouse? I am a newlywed and my husband told me that when a person fasts he/she cannot have sexual relationships. You must deny your flesh of all pleasures. Is it true? What scriptures back this up?"

thus my question to the house

it is proper to have sex during fasting period?
or
what level of intimacy is ok?
or
how should one behave is is total abstannace eg for those doing 100 days?

note this is very seroius. so your contribution is vital

thanks

As food is forbidden during fasting, likewise sex as a food to the married should be also avoided. Both give pleasures to the body. Fasting is a pleasure-denial activity
Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by HopeAlive14(m): 10:09am On Jan 07, 2015
1Cor 7:5 "Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency. (KJV)

Deuteronomy 24: 5 "When a man hath taken a new wife, he shall not go out to war, neither shall he be charged with any business: but he shall be free at home one year, and shall cheer up his wife which he hath taken. (KJV)

To me, it is advisable to exempt newly weds from fasting, but should they (the newly weds) decide to fast, abstaining from sexual relations should be with mutual consent for a period of time before they come together again.

If a woman's ovulation period falls within the fasting period and the couple are desiring a child, I don't think the couple should neglect this window for fasting.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by DanPolice(m): 10:09am On Jan 07, 2015
Well this is a very crucial topic & I think churches should teach about it before proclaiming total fasting for their members. However, from my little knowledge of the Bible I must say that it is not proper to engage on sexual relation whether married or not. Apostle Paul clearly teach that we should not during such program when he says do not deny yourself the companion of each other except for spiritual exercise which he also advised should not be for a long time. Mind you he was addressing married people. For those who are not married, it is not proper at all. Fasting is a spiritual exercise that should be carried out with full awareness. If you are embarking on a fasting that require breaking every evening, for a married couple I don't think you have to denied yourself the pleasure of being together. But if it is a straight one for any number of days, you must abstain from sex for it to be effective, otherwise there is no need going into it at all.

1 Like

Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by Nobody: 10:09am On Jan 07, 2015
many of u fail to understand what fasting is all about. fasting does not only focus on food. fasting is to deny ur body what it loves the most. for some people abstinence from food comes naturally to them so fast or no fast they feel nothing. some love business, telvision, intercourse, and so on. Fasting is to choose ur vice and abstain from it.

Now to the question asked, God encourages intercourse in marriage. the more the better. If a couple is to abstain at any time including fasting both of them need to agree on this but when one refuses to agree then the other should give his or her body. Now even if both agree to abstain because of a fast it should be for a short time so as not to give room to temptation. In other words a fast is not greater or holier than a frequent intercourse in marriage because u can still pray while having marital intercourse but fasting while in disagreement over intercourse with ur spouse renders ur fast void.

2 Likes

Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by tosyne2much(m): 10:15am On Jan 07, 2015
omotollha:
If dia wil be time for them to break the fast, dey can have sex, but if they are going on marathon fasting, it will be hard to cope... If we look at it very well, marriage is mainly for sex.. And dats d only time one is permitted to av sex and it ll not make sense if dey deprive each other of such pleasure...
bwahahahahaahaha roflwkmd lwtmb grin
Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by SilentLover: 10:15am On Jan 07, 2015
Have u not read? This?
"Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband. Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband. The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife. Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency." (1 Corinthians 7:1-5).
Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by peteruuu(m): 10:15am On Jan 07, 2015
[b][/b] [size=8pt][/size] AM I THE ONLY ONE NOTICING THE MISTAKE : IT IS...? or IS IT..?

1 Like

Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by NaLaugh: 10:19am On Jan 07, 2015
If all else fails, break your fast by eating some juicy P****

(juicy pears).. see your mouth tongue
Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by Bitojoe(m): 10:19am On Jan 07, 2015
You can have sex.but its only between husband and wife.because bible said they should not defraud one anoda.so having sex with ur wife or husband during fasting is not a sin.because,there are pastors who sex their wife before going to preach somewhere.
Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by Aylawani: 10:22am On Jan 07, 2015
[quote author=robosky02 post=29537175]
with the new year around. lots of churches seem to be holding fasting programme. raging from 7 days to as much as 100 days fasting. a question that was put to me by a newly wedded woman is this:

"What scriptures teach that fasting and/or refraining from sex during a fast, and/or denying oneself lovemaking to your spouse? I am a newlywed and my husband told me that when a person fasts he/she cannot have sexual relationships. You must deny your flesh of all pleasures. Is it true? What scriptures back this up?"

or
or

The answer is as found below:

1 Corinthians 7:3–5

3.The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband.
4 The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife.
5 Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

Intimacy is allowed the moment daily fast has been broken till 11.59pm. Please shoot a mail to MFM or RCCG and get better understanding.
Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by ArcToyin(m): 10:23am On Jan 07, 2015
robosky02:

or
or

thanks
during fasting you abstain yourself from flesh which include food. Later on you eat perhaps at the end of the day. same applies to sex. Since sex between the married is not a sin, when is time for you to eat you can also sex yourself then.it has no hindrance to your fast.
Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by lalasticlala(m): 10:23am On Jan 07, 2015
ireneony:
better start talking, and stop hiding under the canopy of supermods....we need the other side of you.
Please stop acting like a middle man cheesy

U r quite funnyyyyy.

Wetin u wan make I talk? Others don talk am finish na, my own na to read & laugh.
Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by Nobody: 10:27am On Jan 07, 2015
dis sex of a thing is something u re going to enjoy forever even though u re single or married, so i see no reason u shld'nt be able to defile ursef frm it during fasting.....
Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by ireneony(f): 10:28am On Jan 07, 2015
lalasticlala:

U r quite funnyyyyy.

Wetin u wan make I talk? Others don talk am finish na, my own na to read & laugh.
hmmm.....
I would like to see how intellectual you are, this is not a time for you to starting laughing.
At least contribute to a thread, the way Seun does.....
I want to see the real lalasticlala not the supermod
Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by ArabianPrince: 10:28am On Jan 07, 2015
Am sure the next question will be....Is it proper to look at a na....ked person during fasting?. If you want to fast...fast. if you want to sex...sex. If you want to mix fast with sex...mix it afterall both deprive your body of something....Nutrient. Pls don't quote cool
Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by ireke(m): 10:29am On Jan 07, 2015
BABE3:

Fasting isn't focused of foods alone, is it?
Fasting involves depriving yourself of pleasure (foods, chatty friends, gossip, Facebook, Nairaland, etc), to have a deeper contection with God and hear from him. Those things I mentioned aren't bad, but they are forms of pleasure/distraction, and so is sèx.

Having sèx duing the period of fasting itself (eg, 6am to 6pm), is counterproductive. Coz I don't think it's possible to hear from God when you're under the sheets. grin

Little or no sèx isn't an option (for a couple that's serious about fasting). It's a requirement.

@ bolded - to each his own. As I said earlier, I personally see sex with my wife as a serious spiritual exercise and I have actually prayed to God at the peak of cloud nine and I have received several answers to such "prayers of unity"

1 Like

Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by kate3: 10:30am On Jan 07, 2015
Why raise such topic, where Godly and satanic people will air their opinions. What is fasting? Abstaining from body pleasures. Then answer yourself. Any pastor that is putting exceptions is making "man made law" .
Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by lalasticlala(m): 10:30am On Jan 07, 2015
ireneony:
hmmm.....
I would like to see how intellectual you are, this is not a time for you to starting laughing.
At least contribute to a thread, the way Seun does.....
I want to see the real lalasticlala not the supermod

Ok. Noted
Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by Lekad(m): 10:32am On Jan 07, 2015
The Bible is very complete. 1 corithians 7, Ans and Explain so much about christain marriage(for those that care to knw more should try and read it all and meditate on it.) So the Bible make us 2 understand dat once U ar married U ar no longer the owner of your body but ur spouse is the owner(vs4) so if ur wife/husband says he/she wants sex during a fasting period, U don't av a choice but to submit to him/her. The reason can be found in verse5, (to avoid temptation). If u want 2 fast amd u ar not fasting with the whole of ur heart I mean in spirit and in truth, pure and holy. I.e in ur actions, thought, deeds e.t.c..... So therefore if it is sex dat will depreive you ur blessing wen fasting it is beta u don't fast or u schedule anoda day for ur fasting (Iam talking to married persons now). That is why some ministry excluded nezly wedded couple out of d general fasting but mind you it doesn't stop them from been blessed either but it just makes them 2 knw wia dey stand( no hypocracy) before God. Thank You. May God Continue 2 give us the Indepth Knowledge of his Word. Amen.
robosky02:

or
or

thanks
Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by ireneony(f): 10:32am On Jan 07, 2015
lalasticlala:

Ok. Noted
lets continue the gist....
I like to gist o
Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by tosyne2much(m): 10:32am On Jan 07, 2015
Personally I think some things takes common sense. Sometimes you don't even need to check your Bible b4 you know the right thing to do

Though the Bible states that sex between couples is godly and they shouldnt deprive eachother of it.

Fasting is depriving your flesh from those things you enjoy so that the holy spirit can have dominion over your flesh, e.g food, water, etc. So I see no reason why there should be an exception to sex during fasting hour

LAST BULLET : Any man who cannot deny himself of sex during fasting hour is not a disciplined Christian & can't subject his body for the Holy spirit to take charge (forget conji)
Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by pacretus(m): 10:34am On Jan 07, 2015
JoeCutie:
Qui est?
rien mon frere.
Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by Ojugunrege(f): 10:35am On Jan 07, 2015
Yes married couple can have sex during fasting period provided it is done in the hours when the fasting is broken per day.

What I mean is, if they are on a fasting period of 40 days & they break in the evening say 6pm daily, then they can have sex from that 6pm till 12 midnight when the next day's fasting begins. These are also they same hours when food Is allowed.

Newlyweds are actually exempted from fasting!
Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by loomer: 10:35am On Jan 07, 2015
peteruuu:
[b][/b] [size=8pt][/size] AM I THE ONLY ONE NOTICING THE MISTAKE : IT IS...? or IS IT..?

we all did, but wetin man go do?

1 Like

Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by Bibol(f): 10:37am On Jan 07, 2015
ireneony:
do most nairalanders looks like a Muslim to you ba undecided...
Keep Islamic teaching out of this, this is strictly for christians

Too harsh ireneony. He only stated his opinion, no need to attack him.

BTW, I'm a christian
Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by loomer: 10:38am On Jan 07, 2015
robosky02:

or
or

thanks

OH OK
Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by Mrken113: 10:39am On Jan 07, 2015
you need not to have sex with your husband at that particular time,because its a time set outside for God and one need to be very holy and clean when relating to God
Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by Rexnegro(m): 10:40am On Jan 07, 2015
elantraceey:
Hmmmmm , this one pass me.

There's no scripture backing that up sha but i kind of agree with her husband.
Y wud u kind of agree wen d book of life doesn't say so or back it up ?...my dear marriage is of God and all the intimacy within it...so it not wrong or a sin to intimate with ur spouse during fasting as long he or she is ur legally married hubby/wife and not boyfriend n girlfriend intimacy, God knows that body no be wood hence His advise to us was to get a partner (husband or wife as d case may be) and enjoy all the intimacy weda before , during or after fasting or any other time. Am not a bible scholar but that's my take.
Re: It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? by ireneony(f): 10:40am On Jan 07, 2015
Bibol:

Too harsh ireneony. He only stated his opinion, no need to attack him.

BTW, I'm a christian
just go to Islamic section, when you want to comment, they will tell you..to believe in Allah not God and if you agreed, you can comment but if you don't, you can't comment..
Just try it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How Your Personality Is Shaped By Your Month Of Birth / Funbact A Or Skinneal? Which Is Beta? / Black Parents, White Blond Baby Not Albino (picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.