Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,955 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:11 AM

Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria (49989 Views)

Can You Supply Us With Good Agric Products? We Will Provide You With Capital. / Step-by-step Guide To Rearing Ostriches Profitably In Nigeria. / Snail Farming Exposed - A Complete Free Guide To Profitable Snail Farming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by Lesgupnigeria(m): 12:56pm On Jan 06, 2015
Marketing and selling is the soul of agribusiness.because thats where the profit is.
If you are unable to market your produce,then.all the money invested is wasted.

I see and hear many people complain of inability to dispose off their produce after maturity but another thing i notice is that most people that say such does not even have time to visit potential markets or have contacts of buyers,most times they do not have any marketing plan.

All what you hear is if you cultivate 1000 bunches of plantain and sell at #1500/bunch,you will.make 1.5 million naira but ask them where do they intend to sell the produce or where is the contacts of the buyers to be sold to, you start hearing em..em..em..em.
or you see people telling you that if you have 5000 watermelons/ha and you sell at #250/melon,you are a millionaire,but ask them where is their potential markets? you begin to hear a lot of stories.....I am not disputing the fact that it is possible but after you have successfully cultivated 5000 watermelons or the 1000 bunches,the next question is how and where do you sell at a good price to make your business profitable.

Myself and some of the successful, prominent agroprenuers in Nigeria just started an online mentoring programme,
If you are a newbie who wants to explore the agribusiness industry, it's strongly advices that you join the mentorship.
it will save you a lot of stress, increase your success rate as we share our experiences,challenges and how to overcome them and make tons of money
Kindly register using the link below
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ig5vI2AuEgrrcKU-3i_tQz4dfjVuaIAbLdFpcDw30_g
This is our own way of assisting Nigerians especially youths interested in agriculture.

6 Likes

Re: Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by Pavore9: 1:17pm On Jan 06, 2015
Proper marketing is the bane of most farmers likewise Post-harvest handling.
Re: Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by Lesgupnigeria(m): 1:22pm On Jan 06, 2015
Marketing is as challenging as production in agricbusiness and marketing of agric products is another terrain in the agric value chain.

I do wonder and ask myself this question "with over 170million of nigerian,why do people still find it difficult to sell their produce"

The answer that usually comes to my mind is that they fail to plan for the sales of their produce before cultivation allowing the middle men to take advantage of their desperation to sell at any price.

With over 170million population,are you going to tell me that there is no market for food?
There is market but the problem is improper market planning and thinking mainly of production.

Farmers tend to talk,think more of production and less of marketing reason they always have problems with marketing.

Little is being known about marketing and sales of produce.

My aim is to bring to you and share personal experience of how i have been selling produce on my farm at a good price.

Practical farmers can share their own successful selling experience as well.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by Lesgupnigeria(m): 2:40pm On Jan 06, 2015
I can sell all my agric produce but the main question is at what price?
Will the price i am offering cover for my transportation cost of moving from farm to the market?

This thread is target to show you the practical ways to start selling your produce at a profitable price.

picture of plantain on its way to the market

1 Like

Re: Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:05pm On Jan 06, 2015
I will be sharing some of my strategies i used in selling some of my produce in the market.

I remember some years back when i sold over 15 acres of water melon and my profit was low,i was infuriated but after some days a farmer friend told me this trick in selling watermelon and since then anytime i farm watermelon,i use the method and have been working for me with good profit

Normally sellers buys watermelon in Cabstar trucks,a very good watermelon sells for #70k/truck but the monetary value of melon the truck will take is more than #300k if each watermelon is sold in the market.

The last time i farm watermelon, i sold each one of them #250 but they are very big.
1month before harvesting,i had meet with dozen of potential buyers and i was able to get a good one ready to buy at my own term.

If you are selling watermelon in the open market,i think this is a good strategy for you.

NOTE: If you are going to be selling each watermelon on your farm,it should be large ( to have a good negotiating power),the last one i sold was twice the size of the normal watermelon in the market.

Farming Tips For Bigger Size Watermelon.

Maintain spacing of 2m*2m.
Spray insecticides every 2weeks.
If you are planting during September or early february add GNLD.

If you are not ready to devote more of your time,watermelon is not for you....you can ask soloxam,he will tell you that.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:07pm On Jan 06, 2015
Pavore9:
Proper marketing is the bane of most farmers likewise Post-harvest handling.
You are right.
Your recent post actually inspired me to write this article.

2 Likes

Re: Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:28pm On Jan 06, 2015
Mile 12 is not the only market that we have in the country as mercilicious,henrimoto,has mentioned on pavored thread
nairaland.com/2063334/plantain-cultivation-increasing-let-us

There is also a plantain market at Mile 2 but sellers prefer the Mile12 market as its located at the entrance of lagos to reduce their transportation cost.

There are 3 types of farmers
the small scale (1-5acres),medium scale(6-10) and large scale.(above 10)
Each categories have different markets and solve different food needs.
A small scale farmer in ibadan cannot say he is transporting his plantain to mile12 in lagos to sell,he has to find close by market for his produce.
Only medium to large scale farmers will be able to do that.

The problems i see with most farmers is that they don't think about market before going into production,no proper analysis of cost of transportation to markets,where are the markets close or far from my farm,do i have the contacts of potential buyers etc.They think that because of our large population,they will find market for their produce when the time comes.

There is always market for your produce if you do the right thing before production.
Re: Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by nikaShow(m): 7:53am On Jan 07, 2015
I'm soo following this thread !

I have suffered from 'indifferent' marketing before...

We need more of you agric gurus on this section to share your tips with us !

Lesgup ! God bless you...

Oya continue

1 Like

Re: Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:35am On Jan 07, 2015
nikaShow:
I'm soo following this thread !

I have suffered from 'indifferent' marketing before...

We need more of you agric gurus on this section to share your tips with us !

Lesgup ! God bless you...

Oya continue
thanks for following.
God bless you too
How do you mean by "indifferent marketing"

1 Like

Re: Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by nikaShow(m): 8:47am On Jan 07, 2015
Lesgupnigeria:

thanks for following.
God bless you too
How do you mean by "indifferent marketing"

I mean I didn't really maximise my market options, I just sold it to the first interested buyer.
Re: Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by Jesusbaby6(f): 12:58pm On Jan 07, 2015
Lesgupnigeria:

If you are planting during September or early february add GNLD.

Good day Sir,
Please what do you mean by GNLD?
Re: Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by Lesgupnigeria(m): 2:37pm On Jan 07, 2015
nikaShow:

I mean I didn't really maximise my market options, I just sold it to the first interested buyer.
Ok.From my experience,first buyer are always opportunist.They want to take advantage of you.

I know the reason why you want to sell to the first buyer, You want to sell to the first buyer because of fear that if you dont sell so fast,you might not see buyers to sell to.
The buyer can read your mind and thereby tend to put out a ridiculous price for your products....i am been in that situation before.

In order to safeguard yourself, contact and negotiate with at least 10 buyers a months before harvesting your crop.
This will help you more in your sales.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by Lesgupnigeria(m): 2:54pm On Jan 07, 2015
Jesusbaby6:

Good day Sir,
Please what do you mean by GNLD?
Its a liquid fertiliser that conserve water during dry season and increase yield as well.
I notice if you use it during this time, you will need less wetting on your farm.
Re: Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:56pm On Jan 07, 2015
This is the right time to go into buying and selling of tomato.
more details soon on how to make huge money in tomato business trading on this thread
stay connected
Re: Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by Lesgupnigeria(m): 10:39pm On Jan 07, 2015
Cucumber is best marketed in bulk. (in 50kg bags).
I talked with a farmer friend and told me that for you to have a good market for your cucumber,its best you sell in 50kg and cultivate thr bigger variety of cucumber (cant remember the name now).
I was told that if the cucumbers are big,you will be able to fill the bag with bigger,quality cucumber which have higher demand than the smaller cucumber.
a bag of cucumber goes for #6000-#7,500 presently.
Re: Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:50am On Jan 08, 2015
Lets make this section more vibrant,and farm business problem solving centre.

Add your comment, your challenges and i am going to assist and help you to fulfill your dream in agricbusiness.

I will be waiting for your questions.

1 Like

Re: Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by Lesgupnigeria(m): 12:02pm On Jan 08, 2015
Having a successful sales of plantain start from having a good big plantain bunch.If the bunches are.not big,no buyer will buy from you and if they buy,it will be at a very low price.

Consult with experienced,successful plantain farmers to know more about how to get bigger bunches of plantain through good farm management practices.
Re: Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by Lesgupnigeria(m): 3:09pm On Jan 08, 2015
Think and Do agriculture as a business.
Is the price the buyer willing to pay will more than cover for the cost of production of the produce? if not then you are better find a good buyer.

Thats the new world of agricbusiness.

If you are investing 3million and at the end of the day you get the same amount or less, then you need to improve on some things either the production or the marketing.
Re: Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:04pm On Jan 08, 2015
DO AGRIC....it pays

1 Like

Re: Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by Lesgupnigeria(m): 11:57am On Jan 09, 2015
To make 2015 a great year and to step up your finances, this is the time to start in agribusiness.

Take advantage of the opportunity now!

Don't watch people make money...Make your move too.

Do Agric...it pays.

4 Likes

Re: Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by PURITYMYPRIDE(m): 12:08pm On Jan 09, 2015
Thanks lesgupnigeria for your wonderful contribution on this agric section.please, what type of agric business will you recommend for a someone that has capital of 700000 naira.please,remember I have a wife and a kid,therefore requires something that can be giving me regular income.waiting for your reply.thanks
Re: Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by Lesgupnigeria(m): 3:15pm On Jan 09, 2015
PURITYMYPRIDE:
Thanks lesgupnigeria for your wonderful contribution on this agric section.please, what type of agric business will you recommend for a someone that has capital of 700000 naira.please,remember I have a wife and a kid,therefore requires something that can be giving me regular income.waiting for your reply.thanks
You can start something with that amount,no matter how small it is.
i will consider a lot of factors and information to be able to tell you specifically what agribusiness you can invest that amount into that will give you regular source of income.

Send me message on my email or add me on whatsapp to discuss more.
Re: Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by Lesgupnigeria(m): 4:04pm On Jan 09, 2015
A lot of farmers on this agric section keep criticizing the Minister of Agriculture that all the youth programmes are propanganda but thank God,i was able to see some witnesses that have enjoyed what the government have been doing in the agric sector.

I have said it more than once that i am not a politician or a card carrying member of any political parties but an agro-preneur and i should be able to say what i am seeing and encourage the doubting thomases..lol to key into the programmes.

I have seen improvement in the agricultural sector during this present administration than any other.

Although a lot of things are still.needed to.be done which have not been done by the federal government and things which are not to be done that are being done but i will not want to distract you by delving into all that.

I.got this SMS this afternoon from BOA:

Your BOA Greencash will soon be funded, part of this fund is not cashable. Contact NCGA for your inputs or call 0808*******, 0816******* Powered by Cellulant

Few hours later,i.got another message;

Dear YUSUF O. A You have been credited with the sum of N320000 for the NCGA Cassava Programme. .Sender:BOA, Ref:1510913300111 Date:09/Jan/2015 13:30:02.Avail Balance:NGN320000.00

About some minutes later,i.got another message;

The money you received is for Cassava Stems, Land prep, Chemicals through the NCGA, contact NCGA for an ATM card to withdraw the cash for chemical application.

Less or bias information will delay your progress,get good information.from only informed people
For youths with little or no resources to venture into agricbusiness,it will do you good to take advantage of this.
Do.not be misled,agricultural revolution is real.

Register at any agric ministry in your local govt area. and also any registered and government recognised cooperative.

I hope this help someone.

7 Likes

Re: Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by PURITYMYPRIDE(m): 4:49pm On Jan 09, 2015
please,can you post your number here so that I can add you.thanks
Re: Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by Lesgupnigeria(m): 5:34pm On Jan 09, 2015
PURITYMYPRIDE:
please,can you post your number here so that I can add you.thanks
Re: Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by PURITYMYPRIDE(m): 5:43pm On Jan 09, 2015
I have added you
Re: Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by Johnnyessence(m): 7:26pm On Jan 09, 2015
Lesgupnigeria:
A lot of farmers on this agric section keep criticizing the Minister of Agriculture that all the youth programmes are propanganda but thank God,i was able to see some witnesses that have enjoyed what the government have been doing in the agric sector.

I have said it more than once that i am not a politician or a card carrying member of any political parties but an agro-preneur and i should be able to say what i am seeing and encourage the doubting thomases..lol to key into the programmes.

I have seen improvement in the agricultural sector during this present administration than any other.

Although a lot of things are still.needed to.be done which have not been done by the federal government and things which are not to be done that are being done but i will not want to distract you by delving into all that.

I.got this SMS this afternoon from BOA:

Your BOA Greencash will soon be funded, part of this fund is not cashable. Contact NCGA for your inputs or call 0808*******, 0816******* Powered by Cellulant

Few hours later,i.got another message;

Dear YUSUF O. A You have been credited with the sum of N320000 for the NCGA Cassava Programme. .Sender:BOA, Ref:1510913300111 Date:09/Jan/2015 13:30:02.Avail Balance:NGN320000.00

About some minutes later,i.got another message;

The money you received is for Cassava Stems, Land prep, Chemicals through the NCGA, contact NCGA for an ATM card to withdraw the cash for chemical application.

Less or bias information will delay your progress,get good information.from only informed people
For youths with little or no resources to venture into agricbusiness,it will do you good to take advantage of this.
Do.not be misled,agricultural revolution is real.

Register at any agric ministry in your local govt area. and also any registered and government recognised cooperative.

I hope this help someone.
pls how many month does it take Boa to award d loan for d farmer also am interested but I heard they do grant d loan for farmers that av connection and party affiliation pls I need ur reply on this.
Re: Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by globatop: 8:31pm On Jan 09, 2015
I have been a silent follower of ur threads, am Still watching ur agric testimonies as magic.
In as much as am interested in taking a forward step in that direction, but am skeptical cause I have never been involved in even gardening in my yard.
When you mentioned govt support, I key onto it and wish to know how to get registered.
This planting season I wish to start both plantain & watermelon plantation. I will contact you for direction. How do I get registered? globatop@gmail.com
Re: Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by Lesgupnigeria(m): 12:16am On Jan 10, 2015
Johnnyessence:
pls how many month does it take Boa to award d loan for d farmer also am interested but I heard they do grant d loan for farmers that av connection and party affiliation pls I need ur reply on this.
I don't have any contact in BOA and i am not a member of any political party but what i know is that if you register as a farmer in the ministry of agriculture or register with any recognised association and you are going to have access to subsidised seeds and fertilisers.

Do not let people perceived negative opinion discourage you from taking the bold step.
it takes 3-4months for individuals
Re: Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:26am On Jan 10, 2015
Act Now,..you will thank me later
One of my followers took the bold step to kickstart his agribusiness empire.
Immacula8:
@LesgupN

Thanks for the great work!

I am the poor guy that transferred into your Diamond Bank some days ago.

How far are we concerning the 2 acres that you are organizing for me grin grin grin grin

I will also like to know how much is it going to cost me to do proper Government survey in order to stay save

Once again thanks for the good work. Thousands of people are following you, while millions are watching. wink

Lol....
Work have already started on it and i will
send you all the details to your email...
Welcome to the agribusiness world where we
feed the nation as well make money and
create wealth.
Re: Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria by Johnnyessence(m): 5:20pm On Jan 10, 2015
Lesgupnigeria:

I don't have any contact in BOA and i am not a member of any political party but what i know is that if you register as a farmer in the ministry of agriculture or register with any recognised association and you are going to have access to subsidised seeds and fertilisers.

Do not let people perceived negative opinion discourage you from taking the bold step.
it takes 3-4months for individuals
Thks for ur reply at Lesgupnigeria I duely appreciate it.pls I want to ask question about this loan stuff pls is it that u will av to get a farmland for d project or u av to write a proposal for d farm you want to get .pls bro elaborate this very well to us Thks.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

See Snake I Found On My Farm While Harvesting Cassava / Made In Nigeria Rice From Niger & Kebi States (Photos) / Starting A Plantain Farming.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.