Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,855 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:29 PM

Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action (2732 Views)

DSS At Abuja Home Of Amalate Turner + What They Took Away / NGE Confirmed They Took N50m From Jonathan, Claims Unfairly Targeted By Buhari / He Was Trying To Be Dubious, Oshiomhole Explains Why He Removed Head Of Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by jude33084(m): 10:43pm On Jan 07, 2015
UNIBEN got 3-yr notice to vacate govt property,
says Oshiomhole
Governor Adams Oshiomhole has said that the
state Government served authorities of the
University of Benin a notice, three years ago, to
vacate eighteen properties belonging to the Edo State Government, but rather than vacate, they
took the government to court.
The Governor said to fulfill all righteousness, the
government waited for the court to deliver
judgment, which it did on December 16, last year,
ordering the university authorities to vacate the said properties “forthwith” ruling that the 18
properties belonged to the state government.
According to him, having waited from December
16, 2014 for the illegal tenants to vacate the
properties and they refused, the government took
steps granted by the court to recover the properties in the interest of the people of the
state.
Fielding questions from journalists on the issue,
Tuesday, Oshiomhole said as the Governor, he has
a duty and responsibility to hold in trust and
protect all assets belonging to the People of Edo State that are entrusted to the government of the
State.
He said, “As the Governor of this state, I have
responsibility and duty to protect the interest and
assets of Edo State and those properties are not
in the names of any individual. They are in the names of Edo State Government and we cannot
fold our hands and allow individuals to continue
to occupy properties belonging to Edo State
Government and paying rents to the wrong
authority. I remain firm that if the interest of Edo
State is involved, I must stand firm and execute it without fear or favor and that is exactly what we
have done.”
Giving a background on how the properties got to
the university authorities, he said: “As I am sure
you will recall, when UNIBEN was set up, the then
Military Governor, Dr. Samuel Ogbemudia, in his wisdom, decided as a young institution to assist
some of the officers and staff with accommodation
and so, some houses were made available to
accommodate some of the staff of UNIBEN.
“However, they have occupied these properties
without paying any rent to Edo State Government but a couple of years ago, just before I assumed
office as governor, the Federal Government in line
with the policy of monetization under which
salaries of employees including other allowances
were abolished so that rather than provide these
for certain categories of public officers, they were to be paid in lieu of either official quarters or
cars.
“Subsequently, the Federal Government
announced the policy under which they had put
on sale all apartments and quarters occupied by
public officers having monetized the allowances of such officers and so, in Edo State, Federal
Government and some of its agencies had
published their intention to sell off the houses
that were previously occupied by Public officers.
“As a result of the decision, my predecessor in
office, Prof Oserheimen Osunbor, as the governor then, disputed the claim of the Federal
Government and the University of Benin that
these assets from our records were assets of Edo
State Government”.
The Governor said shortly after assuming office,
he was approached by counsel of the University of Benin asking him to sign some documents to
transfer the landed properties to the university
which he declined, saying, “I told him if UNIBEN
needs any favor from Edo State Government, I
expect the leadership or the VC to approach the
government of Edo State for such a favor, not to approach us through their legal adviser.
“I also reminded him that I am aware and it is
the truth that salaries of lecturers, academic and
non- academic staff have been monetized and
even the salary of the VC is now over N1.5 million
monthly because the provision for official quarters, car, driver have been monetized and
added to their pay. In any event, the official
lodge of the Vice Chancellor of Benin is within the
premises of the University of Benin at Ugbowo and
so he is not entitled to hold several other
government properties. He is not even entitled under the Federal Government policy now to
occupy even the official lodge of the VC except he
pays rent for it”, he said.
Oshiomhole said, “Thereafter I was informed by
the Attorney-General that UNIBEN had decided to
go to court. Meanwhile, I did not take any further steps. I had directed that a letter be written to
the management of the University of Benin
advising their officials to vacate those quarters
because the University authority was now
collecting rent on properties belonging to Edo
State Government and this, in my view, was unacceptable and they were advised to vacate.
Once we dropped the letter, we didn’t take any
further steps.
“On their own, they chose to go to court to
challenge our claims that these properties
belonged to Edo State Government. Of course we were obliged to enter appearance and we
contracted a SAN to represent us in the suit.
“In the end, the court ruled in our favor that
these properties belonged to Edo State
Government and the fact that you asked a tenant
to stay in your quarters doesn’t confer ownership on him and the attempt to sell means that these
persons no longer need the assistance. So the
court ruled in our favor but the court also
proceeded and ruled, based on our own prayers,
that having served them notice over 3 years ago,
that they should vacate and they failed to vacate, the court ordered that they should vacate the
properties forthwith”, he noted.
Oshiomhole stressed, “To vacate forthwith means
without any further notice because the court took
judicial notice of the fact that they have been
asked to vacate these properties for over a period of 3 years so they can’t claim that they have not
been advised to leave but they stubbornly refused
to vacate the properties. This judgment was
delivered on the 16th of December, 2014.
“Now I would have thought that if the
management of the university had any problem with this to approach us to either give them time
or make proposals on how we can manage to
accommodate them. However from all we have
watched on TV, they were not ready, rather they
were still threatening here and there.
“We have also found out that even the former VC, Professor Oshodin is not directly occupying even
the property that he is occupying. One of the
properties, he allocated to himself, from what we
now know, he actually allocated that property to
his senior wife while Professor Oshodin lives
outside in another property with his younger wife. You cannot give Edo State Government properties
to individuals like that.
“There are many of the lecturers, who have
retired, who are no longer in the employment of
the University of Benin who are still occupying
some of these properties. They have lived there for the past 30years, have retired from UNIBEN
several years ago and yet they occupy these
properties. Is this in line with public service rule?
Are these properties meant to be retirement
benefits? He asked.
“So the steps we have taken are purely in the interest of the Edo Public whose taxes were used
to procure those assets. I have a duty to secure
those assets. I also want to use this opportunity
to make the point that I am not like others. I am
not selling any of these assets to myself, nor am I
allocating any of them to myself or to any of my friends. It is a matter of principle. Everybody is
under the law and nobody can resort to blackmail.
“I am aware that they have tried to mobilize all
manners of people, people who have no interest
whatsoever in the matter. These properties are
not student hostels. If the properties are not student hostels, how is the interest of the
student community affected? If the wife of
Professor Oshodin lives in one of the properties,
how does that affect the interest of the student
community?
“Clearly, people are being mobilized believing that they can twist the facts and create all kinds
of distractions but as far as I am concerned, I am
clear, my duties here sometimes can be very
pleasant, some other times, it requires a level of
courage. The courage to protect the public
interest and governance requires that sometimes, you step on toes of people you respect”, he
added.
On the issue of the case being in court of appeal,
the governor said, “Now if they claim they have a
court order to stay, it is not with their mouth,
they have to show it to you exactly the same way we have shown you in black and white, the
judgment of the court, let them show you the
court order that granted them stay. If the court
granted stay, we cannot proceed but also it is an
elementary principle in law that the fact that you
verbalize your intentions to appeal doesn’t mean you have filed an appeal”

.....This is how you know a sound individual cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by dharyour93(m): 10:43pm On Jan 07, 2015
Hmmm. This man called Oshiomole is very tactful and has a high level of diplomacy

7 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by christiancy(m): 10:47pm On Jan 07, 2015
wat happend 2 sharing & understanding... 1 luvv 1 Nigeria 1 govnmnt plzz

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by enoqueen: 10:51pm On Jan 07, 2015
what? shocked
Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by jude33084(m): 10:51pm On Jan 07, 2015
christiancy:
wat happend 2 sharing & understanding... 1 luvv 1 Nigeria 1 govnmnt plzz

Uniben fall their hand seriously on this issue.

They claim they have taken the case to appeal court but turns out it was just by mouth. undecided

Oshomhole is a crafty man so you need a guy like him to beat him to what he does. grin

6 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by meracool(m): 11:01pm On Jan 07, 2015
The Edo state Govt. is Justified. UNIBEN authorities has to just Comply.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by brownlord1: 11:19pm On Jan 07, 2015
that's my nigga, even when em dey Bleep up at times.

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by Proxy001(m): 11:47pm On Jan 07, 2015
hmmmm there is indeed much gain in listening before judgement. Now that we have heard from both sides oshiomhole seems to be on the side of justice. But greatest UNIBEN why una come fall our hand like this na? upon all those rugged legal luminaries wey una get like professor Idubor....... una bleep up big time

3 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by Nobody: 12:04am On Jan 08, 2015
You see? That's why it's good to hear both sides of the story before passing judgement!! #LongLiveTheComradeGovernor #LongLiveEdoState

4 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by JESUSSAVES2014: 1:41am On Jan 08, 2015
ok

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by snowdrops(m): 4:37am On Jan 08, 2015
Oshiomole is a liar. People do not be deceived.
He is vindictive manipulative and a dictator.
An appeal was duly filed, and court order needs to be obeyed.
The same court process under which he swept into power.
What is it with this man and Edo properties!!!?
This same governor that almost sold Edo house in Lagos to his cronies barring last minute outrage.
These UNIBEN properties have been in existence for decades. During this period we have had dozens of governors in Edo. None of them have destroyed houses as much as Oshiomole. This man is divisive and hides behind this to cover up his failures.

SMH for Edo indigenes
Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by KHAYGOLD(m): 6:37am On Jan 08, 2015
See the difference between GEJ and Oshiomole, leadership skills, confidence to take actions without been scared of anybody and good sense of judgement. GEJ doesnt worth to bea governor let alone a president. Please, in this coming election, let's vote wise to secure a better future for ourselves, and our coming generation. God bless Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by KHAYGOLD(m): 6:40am On Jan 08, 2015
snowdrops:
This same governor that almost sold Edo house in Lagos to his cronies barring last minute outrage.
These UNIBEN properties have been in existence for decades. During this period we have had dozens of governors in Edo. None of them have destroyed houses as much as Oshiomole. This man is divisive and hides behind this to cover up his failures.

SMH for Edo indigenes

What is ur complaint? Your allegations are not even genuine and you've also got a biased sense of judgement. A person like you is not needed in a gathering of elites and positive thinkers.

5 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by Brimmie(m): 6:45am On Jan 08, 2015
www.nairaland.com/attachments/2006381_RetardeenSamboribobo_jpgdb01f2057a8144575c025b43c4019022

Am yet to see rambunctious & GEJ Sycophantic SaTANs accuse Vice President Namadi Samboribobo of disrespecting Christianity by not removing his cap in a Christian worship in the pix below, yet they saw Buhari and questioning his ability to govern, but missed this? Like missing the speck in your own eyes, but seeing others...

Hypocrisy at work. One rule for GEJ, another for GMB.

It's inside the Church, unlike the Open Air Interdenominational and Inter-faith Service under reference during the Year 2015 Thanksgiving Service organised by the Lagos State Government.

King Nebu's Disciples, what ya say??

3 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by jude33084(m): 7:01am On Jan 08, 2015
snowdrops:

SMH for Edo indigenes

You need to be Educated.

Uniben could not provide any document relating to ownership what soever.

Let me also tell you this, in the eyes of the law; half of the land behind Oba market is a bareland, meaning it is the property of the state govt. It was acquired during the same Ogbemudia time for Oba Market car park but for the past 30yrs or so a lot of people have turn that place to their home. Some are even saying it their family compound meanwhile their gran fathers have sold it out and eaten the cash.

I know in the future one Govnor will come out to reclaim that area and if you know the area very well; you know it means disaster for a lot of people cheesy

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by Nobody: 7:29am On Jan 08, 2015
edo people are solidly behind you
Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by Nobody: 7:34am On Jan 08, 2015
snowdrops:

SMH for Edo indigenes
sorry for you man. Edo people love him.
Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by tit(f): 7:39am On Jan 08, 2015
I had thought if you stay on a piece of land for seven years without paying rent, the land is yours.
Please can lawyers in the house tell why this was not applied in this case.
From Ogbemudia time to now is over 30 years.
All landlordship rights of Bendel/Edo state government s have since been forfeit.
Is the the Edo state higb court simply partial for edo state government?
Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by bright007(f): 7:48am On Jan 08, 2015
Its just a shame that this is happening in a school I graduated from. The uniben academic body has brought shame to uniben students as well as excos like myself.

they connived with the sug president and members to hire thugs and perpetrated violence and claimed it was students protesting.

Is it the student that are yet to resume or the freshers that are doing their clearance that are protesting and burning buses?

During my 4years in school, there were many instances of maltreatment, injustice, unfairness, against student, yet the puppet called sug never protested against school management.
Now they left their primary duty which is to fight for students right in school and are now rioting over a matter that does not concern them.

Oshiomhole should arrest them and detain them destroying public infrastructure.
Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by stanech: 7:51am On Jan 08, 2015
I pity those of you supporting oshomole that man is a pathological liar. the uniben legal team said an appeal was filed in the appeal court and a notice submitted to the state government. BTW the court passed the judgement on 16th December while not give them enof tym to move. while demolish a house when the occupants are still inside?
Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by adaweezy(m): 8:05am On Jan 08, 2015
tit:
I had thought if you stay on a piece of land for seven years without paying rent, the land is yours.
Please can lawyers in the house tell why this was not applied in this case.
From Ogbemudia time to now is over 30 years.
All landlordship rights of Bendel/Edo state government s have since been forfeit.
Is the the Edo state higb court simply partial for edo state government?
that's what we refer to as laches, besides it does not demand a stay if seven years before the owner acquiescences to it .
She Uniben authorities blundered by sending their legal adviser to get the properties on paper.
Oshiomole is right he, he just used one for his rights which is dislodging the tenant.
Acquiescences can not apply in this case due to the fact that they have been dragging this issue for too long, besides it is discretionary

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by MrTeymee(m): 8:56am On Jan 08, 2015
Now that's a clear explanation,
Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by MrTeymee(m): 9:03am On Jan 08, 2015
bright007:
Its just a shame that this is happening in a school I graduated from. The uniben academic body has brought shame to uniben students as well as excos like myself.

they connived with the sug president and members to hire thugs and perpetrated violence and claimed it was students protesting.

Is it the student that are yet to resume or the freshers that are doing their clearance that are protesting and burning buses?

During my 4years in school, there were many instances of maltreatment, injustice, unfairness, against student, yet the puppet called sug never protested against school management.
Now they left their primary duty which is to fight for students right in school and are now rioting over a matter that does not concern them.

Oshiomhole should arrest them and detain them destroying public infrastructure.
You've said it all. The SUG is just plain useless. Hostel fees were increased dey didn't do anythin. Acceptance fee increased dey didn't do anything. Is it me dat I'm still in lag dah will be burning bus evrywia ni tscheeew. I just hope this deir show of shame won't affect resumption date..

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by colossus2: 9:20am On Jan 08, 2015
snowdrops:

SMH for Edo indigenes

They have lived there for the past 30years, have retired from UNIBEN several years ago and yet they occupy these
properties. Is this in line with public service rule?
Are these properties meant to be retirement benefits?
E be like na night school you go.
You no sabi read undecided

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by bright007(f): 9:37am On Jan 08, 2015
update: right now they are still blocking the Lagos-Benin expressway. No movement of traffic. The silly SUG and its members are it again.
Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by snowdrops(m): 1:50pm On Jan 08, 2015
KHAYGOLD:

What is ur complaint? Your allegations are not even genuine and you've also got a biased sense of judgement. A person like you is not needed in a gathering of elites and positive thinkers.

My complaint are clearly spelt out in my post. Or do you need reading glasses?
Who made you judge to authenticate the validity of my complaint? Prove me wrong with any hard evidence not quotes from an agbero govt on the pages of newspaper. Journalists that he has paid to sing his praises.
Elites and positive thinkers ke. You most have delusions of grandeur.
Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by snowdrops(m): 1:53pm On Jan 08, 2015
jude33084:

You need to be Educated.

Uniben could not provide any document relating to ownership what soever.

Let me also tell you this, in the eyes of the law; half of the land behind Oba market is a bareland, meaning it is the property of the state govt. It was acquired during the same Ogbemudia time for Oba Market car park but for the past 30yrs or so a lot of people have turn that place to their home. Some are even saying it their family compound meanwhile their gran fathers have sold it out and eaten the cash.

I know in the future one Govnor will come out to reclaim that area and if you know the area very well; you know it means disaster for a lot of people cheesy

Oh shut up!!! We are not talking about Oba market. Don't derail this debate.

You clearly need to watch all the YouTube videos on itv website. UNIBEN counsel inneh SAN showed the media and the whole world the appeal and stay of execution filed after the high court ruling. Once done all parties should maintain status quo which clearly Oshiomole did not have time for.
Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by snowdrops(m): 1:55pm On Jan 08, 2015
emazion:

sorry for you man. Edo people love him.

Which Edo people? Does your household constitute the 3 million plus Edo indigenes. We would see at the February polls.

Sorry for your self and generation.
Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by snowdrops(m): 2:14pm On Jan 08, 2015
colossus2:

E be like na night school you go.
You no sabi read undecided

Unlike you wey no get primary school certificate like your come-raid governor I go school wella.

Time will unearth his true intention of forcefully and illegally acquiring those properties. His tenure finishes next year abi.

Dividends of democracy must go round to his friends the likes of suspected murderer and known thug Tony Kabaka who is part of his cabinet.
Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by snowdrops(m): 2:17pm On Jan 08, 2015
bright007:
update: right now they are still blocking the Lagos-Benin expressway. No movement of traffic. The silly SUG and its members are it again.

Nigerians want change. Yet they can't make sacrifices for change to occur. No wonder they continue to languish in injustice.
Carry on brave students.
An injury to one is injury to all.
Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by EdCure: 2:27pm On Jan 08, 2015
The PDP imbeciles and anrchists, with their bear-palour propaganda wing (ITV) were quick to politicise the whole thing by sending its leaders on a visit to the uniben authorities.
Goes to show how far they can promote anarchy and lawlessness for their selfish political interest at the detriment of the state law and order.
They hired thugs to cause violence and discredit the state govt all in the guise of Uniben students protests. They think they can win themselves back through blackmail, rascality and lies.
Edo people are wiser!

3 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Explains Why They Took The Action by snowdrops(m): 2:39pm On Jan 08, 2015
EdCure:
The PDP imbeciles and anrchists, with their bear-palour propaganda wing (ITV) were quick to politicise the whole thing by sending its leaders on a visit to the uniben authorities.
Goes to show how far they can promote anarchy and lawlessness for their selfish political interest at the detriment of the state law and order.
They hired thugs to cause violence and discredit the state govt all in the guise of Uniben students protests. They think they can win themselves back through blackmail, rascality and lies.
Edo people are wiser!

Remove the logs from your eyes man. Stop engaging in self destruction.

Thuggery!!!! Oshiomole is the father of thuggery in the history of Edo state.
He led hundreds of them in demolishing decades old property. There were several eye witnesses before you label this as PDP propaganda.
Several known thugs are in his cabinet kabaka, osamede adun etc
There were men women children in the house which the demolition was going on. The man has no human feeling. This same man told a widow to "go and die" and quickly back tracked due to public outrage.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Senate Leader: See Why David Mark May Be Removed / Saudi King Comes To America In STYLE!!!! / 9 Million People Voted For Buhari Not 15 Million ? - As Seen Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.