Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,129 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:28 AM

Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company (39308 Views)

Data reseller / Nigerian Entrepreneur Unveil Team-oriented Social Network. / The Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10 Million Toy Company (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by iwaeda: 8:33am On Jan 09, 2015
Roland Ogbonnaya with agency report

Paul Orajiaka, a 37-year-old Nigerian entrepreneur, is the founder of Auldon Limited, the manufacturer of African-themed toys. Auldon manufactures dolls and other toys, which depict, promote and teach Africa’s cultural heritage to children.

Orajiaka founded the company 17 years ago with less than $100; it now has annual revenue of more than $10 million.
Apart from Nigeria, Auldon’s toys are now sought after in countries like South Africa, Ghana, Kenya, and some parts of Europe.

Last year, Auldon launched the Unity Girl Dolls, a set of multi-cultural dolls clad in the traditional attires of Nigeria’s major ethnic groups. It has been a runaway success and a tremendous hit among Nigerian parents and their daughters.

Orajiaka is currently studying for a Doctorate in Business Administration (DBA) at the Henley Business School of the University of Reading, United Kingdom, majoring in entrepreneurship. He spoke with Forbes magazine on various issues of his business.

Speaking on why he decided to venture into manufacturing African-themed toys, Orajiaka said he grew up in Warri, Delta State, in Southern Nigeria, and did his secondary school education in Benin City, Edo State.

He recalled that immediately after his secondary school education at Igbinedion Secondary School, Benin City, his sole ambition was to travel to the United States to seek the proverbial greener pastures, and never exactly planned to venture into the toy business.

Orajiaka was 18 at the time and determined to leave Nigeria at all costs. So, along with his friends, he made countless unfruitful trips to the American embassy in pursuit of an American visa. Eventually, all his friends were given visas, except him.

“Naturally, I became dejected and ashamed. I had no clue as to what my next line of action was going to be. So I decided to stay back in Lagos and not return to my hometown where my friends would mock me. You see, a lot of shame was attached to my disappointment at that time, being the only one out of all my friends who was denied an opportunity to go to the US.

“So I decided that the only way out for me was to stay back in Lagos and work with my in-law at the Idumota Market and that is how that reluctant step taken out of frustration ended up becoming my glorious journey to success and fulfillment,” he emphasised.

How demanding was it building a business from Idumota? Orajiaka said if he looks back now, he smiles because it was indeed a difficult decision to make at that time. He said Idumota is largely congested and is a hustle-driven environment and wasn’t fun at all.

He felt like a fish thrown into a sea, filled with sharks and there he was trying hard not to be eaten up. All these factors emboldened him to strive in making a mark. With this in the mind, he had no choice but to get used to it.

He said: “Not long after settling in, the lid on my eyes were taken off after I came across young men who were doing extremely well in their different spheres of business.

“Just before I got too carried away, I realised it was equally imperative that I go back to school and get educated. So while I was working for my in-law, I enrolled as an accounting student at the University of Lagos (UNILAG), after which I proceeded to getting a Masters in Business Administration (MBA) from Lagos Business School and Pan-African University (PAN).

“Today, I can confidently beat my chest and say, a humble beginning which started about 17 years ago as a small venture, is now a leading company, importing and supplying top quality range of educational toys to wholesalers and retailers in Nigeria.

“Going back, 1997, when we started, our capital base was just $30, but as at 2014, the company’s turnover has surged to over a $7 million. We have also metamorphosed into a Limited Liability company, status, which we attained in 2002 employing well over 400 people, inclusive of direct and indirect workers."

Orajiaka further stated that his small business thrived despite the challenges of funds and frustration.
“I almost gave up because initially, it was an uphill task building this business from scratch, especially without funding from banks. It was near impossible to continue, but my frustration and anger at the banking system coupled with lack of support, only made me further persevere, be more passionate and determined to ensure that the business grew.

“I tell you, it would be unfair to blame or criticise some Nigerian entrepreneurs, who fail to surmount the numerous challenges, which stifle their growth. That said, I have come to realise that despite the myriad of challenges bedevilling them, which range from power, lack of funds, wickedly high bank interest, lack of infrastructure amongst others.

“An entrepreneur can still attain success, if he/she can recapture the passion and emotions of its beginning and inculcate same in its staff,” Orajiaka stressed.

What led him to go into the Unity Doll Project? Orajiaka said over the years, his attention got drawn to the painful fact that the nation’s cultural values was fast eroding, because most parents these days, shy away from teaching their children about their culture but instead allow them imbibe foreign cultures, which rob them of their identity and very existence as Nigerians.

He was also saddened to see that most toys in Nigeria have no social and cultural relevance to children. For him, that was a vacuum that needed to be filled urgently, hence he swung into action in order to make that important change, and that change gave birth to the Unity Girl Doll Project, a collection of 14-inch child developmental dolls that represent Nigeria’s three major tribes – Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba – delivering a social message to infants across the country and by extension the world at large, enlightening them about the Nigerian culture, allowing them to have a sense of ownership early in life which puts them in good stead to making a positive impact when they are grown.

“For me my passion is educating them before time with positive Nigerian values and that’s why all the dolls have contents, which teach them all the positive stories and values they need to inculcate as they grow,” Orajiaka said.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/nigerian-entrepreneur-who-built-a-10m-toy-company/198739/

39 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by tonychristopher: 10:28am On Jan 09, 2015
Igbo man and business sense

Kudos

90 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by naturally: 12:20pm On Jan 09, 2015
Nice toys

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by justscorch: 3:26pm On Jan 09, 2015
God abeg make my small business wen I dey manage pick up steam make me self narrate my rag to riches story..click like if u believe say u sef go blow

Modified: Chisos see likes ehhh ,Choi e clear say I go touch before this year runs out....

306 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by PerfumeRepublik: 5:56pm On Jan 10, 2015
Nice one ...
Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by LuckyLadolce(m): 6:55pm On Jan 10, 2015
Ok
Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by iceberylin(m): 6:55pm On Jan 10, 2015
$10m yet am not seeing any reasonable toy undecided

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by faitheverest(f): 6:55pm On Jan 10, 2015
Good one
Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by youngvizzy1(m): 6:55pm On Jan 10, 2015
$10m Igbo kwenu

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jan 10, 2015
S
Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by jingh(f): 6:56pm On Jan 10, 2015
God blessing is what I saw

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by elantraceey(f): 6:56pm On Jan 10, 2015
Sometimes it's good to follow your passion.
Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by KenSaroWiwa: 6:57pm On Jan 10, 2015
Good for him but mine will be better....

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by Orikinla(m): 6:57pm On Jan 10, 2015
[quote author=iwaeda post=29628507][/quote]
Genius.
Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by otabs555: 6:58pm On Jan 10, 2015
Well done bros
Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by tiamiyukunle69(m): 6:58pm On Jan 10, 2015
I get encouraged with stories like this. Thumb up bro
Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by natureblack(m): 6:58pm On Jan 10, 2015
elantraceey:
Sometimes it's good to follow your passion.
what happens to the other time....

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by motherlode: 6:58pm On Jan 10, 2015
Hope he makes more than that whole lot!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by steppin: 6:59pm On Jan 10, 2015
Man wey sabi.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by joshuaidibia(m): 6:59pm On Jan 10, 2015
Would have loved to see Mrs Johnny as a doll with dos atires.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by yurme(m): 6:59pm On Jan 10, 2015
Kul
Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:00pm On Jan 10, 2015
good to see

www.kingebuka.com BEST BLOG EVER !!!
Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jan 10, 2015
Never knew a Nigerian ventured or had passion for toy making.
Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by iluvpomo(m): 7:04pm On Jan 10, 2015
tonychristopher:
Igbo man and business sense ... Kudos
Igbo men and 419 sense
grin grin

All jokes aside, let us just view this wonderful story as that of a successful Nigerian ... no need to bring up the "tribe angle" to the narrative. After all, some Igbo men also engage in nefarious activities (like every other tribe/ethnicity) .. One Nigeria bros.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by FairDude(m): 7:05pm On Jan 10, 2015
I never knew black toys exist. Gordons come see oooooo

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by Balkan(m): 7:05pm On Jan 10, 2015
The Weak once are fighting to become the president of Nigeria
While the wise men from the East are making money right
under their feet.

Proudly Igbo.

25 Likes

Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jan 10, 2015
So its this man that is making this expensive doll baby my girlfriend has been bugging me to buy shocked

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by frodobee: 7:08pm On Jan 10, 2015
Serioouusly there is money to be made. I rep this guy.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by 9jagirl4ree(f): 7:10pm On Jan 10, 2015
tonychristopher:
Igbo man and business sense

Kudos

Go and make your own money instead of associating with a successful man. He got there because of hard work and not because of his tribe.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by Elxandre(m): 7:10pm On Jan 10, 2015
surprisingly, I still haven't seen an African themed doll...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by Whizzdom(m): 7:11pm On Jan 10, 2015
How many Nigeria pickin dey carry doll or toy here and der ......

This man is jonking ....very jonking .... insyd of spending his money on something meaningful

Na abroad dey like toys ..... Nigeria pickin na money dem sabi grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Built A $10m Toy Company by Dreal1247: 7:12pm On Jan 10, 2015
Some people have died trying to cross Sahara Desert where they could have become millionaires in Nigeria. Necessity THEY SAYIS THE MOTHER OF INVENTION.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How My Younger Sister Got Scammed Of ₦1 Million Crypto Fraud! / Loopers Club Ponzi Scam Finallly Collapse / Frustrated MMM Participants Resort To Curses, Threats

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.