Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,797 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:43 PM

Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter (31026 Views)

Chris Oyakhilome's Daughter Carissa Sharon; Lovely New Photos / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome Faces JAIL In South Africa / The Church Might Be Leading You To Hell- Etcetera Writes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter by Nobody: 8:18am On Jan 10, 2015
Etcetera writes open letter to Christ Embassy head pastor Chris Oyakhilome.
Read below

Greetings in the name of the lord. I hope this letter finds you in the best of spirit and health. I write to you, in the same form that Paul wrote to the Ephesians expressing his advice and counsel to the followers of Jesus Christ. If I had 1,000 tongues, I could not thank God enough for your role in winning souls for the kingdom. I bless God for revealing through you the divine plans of Jesus Christ for us. Through you, a lot of people have experienced Jesus in person.
I write to you as a Christian who is saddened by the series of troubling news emanating from your church, Christ Embassy. I am worried that the seeds you have planted in us through your teachings may no longer germinate as a result of the numerous scandals coming out of the church. The roots of your messages, spiritual guidance and leadership that once brought deeper understanding of the workings of God needs a little more reassuring with the church toeing this ungodly path of collecting a thousand naira gate-fee from believers coming to hear you teach God’s word every New Year’s Eve. Your church has opened a new chapter in what we all know today in Nigeria as church business. Over the years, this must have turned out to be a very profitable innovation. I have to admit that the economic implications of this ingenuity are mouth-watering. If some of the Christian outreaches on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway adopt this modus-operandi, they can make hundreds of millions of naira in just one night of devotion to God. This is surely the smartest innovation so far in the history of church business in Nigeria. Are we allowed to peddle the Word of God for profit? No pastor. We are not. The scriptures forbid charging for ministry (worship, preaching and teaching of God’s Word, evangelism, fellowship of the church, psalms/hymns or spiritual songs, discipleship) in any circumstance or situation. It is stated clearly in black and white.

Matthew 10:8-9, “Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, cast out demons. You received without paying; give without pay. Acquire no gold nor silver nor copper for your belts.”

2 Corinthians 2:15-17, “For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing. To one, a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life. Who is sufficient for these things? For we are not, like so many, peddlers of God’s word, but as men of sincerity, as commissioned by God, in the sight of God, we speak in Christ.”

It is true that God’s people through faithful giving are to supply the financial support for the ministry. But issuing a mandate for people to pay to have access to God’s word is ungodly. A genuine ministry for the Lord cannot have an advanced price tag to pay before the ministry is given. Why? Because then it is no longer ministry, but commerce, employ, trade or entertainment. You are in the ministry of rendering services to God; and with Christ as example, you are to give all that you are for all that He is. It is even wrong to charge honorariums and tickets to religious concerts. The Lord deeply warned us through his Word that there is no justification for every charging for the work of the gospel. Think of what you are doing: charging people to pay a ticket to come to a church or civic venue to hear that which is eternal, is wrong. After all you take offerings from the same congregation.
Matthew 21:12 “Jesus entered into the temple of God, and drove out all of those who sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the money changers’ tables and the seats of those who sold the doves. 21:13 He said to them, “It is written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer,’ but you have made it a den of robbers!”

The greatest proof-text your followers will misuse out of the Bible to try to “justify” charging for the ministry of the Lord is this familiar phrase: “the workman is worthy of his hire.” Yes, I fully agree with that phrase for it is God’s Word; but they are wrongly applied when trying to condone treating ministry like a business, trade, or entertainment. It doesn’t mean we have the right to charge for “hire.” More appropriately, it means those “who proclaim the gospel should receive their living by the gospel” (1 Cor. 9:14b) and do so in a manner commensurate with the gospel. Aren’t you glad that the Lord didn’t charge you to hear about the good news of the gospel unto salvation? Aren’t you glad that the Holy Spirit doesn’t charge any of us for the spiritual gifts He gives to the church? Money, beloved, should not be a prerequisite for ministry.

My Christian brothers and sisters, let us continue to pray for our pastors, gospel artists, authors, speakers, and evangelical leaders who are still trapped by the allure of a market-driven ministry; parroting worldly techniques rather than emulating the humility and servant-hood of Christ. This principle should even affect Christian retail bookstore outlets and how they “sell” their items; but that debate is for another time. Amen.
http://www.inoreader.com/m/?list_articles=1&filter_type=subscription&filter_id=19249714&from_folder=1101333

77 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter by Richhommie(m): 8:27am On Jan 10, 2015
Very interesting

Ftc means good luck ahead

5 Likes

Re: Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter by loomer: 8:32am On Jan 10, 2015
GOD DE

1 Like

Re: Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter by kreamidiva(f): 8:40am On Jan 10, 2015
No be small letter be this o!

3 Likes

Re: Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter by Nobody: 8:43am On Jan 10, 2015
kreamidiva:
No be small letter be this o!
Type of letter: Expository letter

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter by Nobody: 8:45am On Jan 10, 2015
Charleen94:
Chai! Any member of the Christ Embassy here?! Is this really true? What a business!
Don't bother, dem no go talk. Wetin person fit brainwash me to pay and enter my church?!
Na to home go hold a serious prayer session with my family. Ba wah.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter by Nukilia: 9:22am On Jan 10, 2015
A. That was a nice write-up. I love the way you've put it all together as recommended by (I Tim 5:1).
"1 Do not rebuke an older man harshly, but exhort him as if he were your father. Treat younger men as brothers"

B. The most important thing is for us to keep praying for the various spiritual leaders in the society (I Tim 2:1-4).

" I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;

2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth."

C. These are the end time occurrences that are bound to happen (I Tim 4:1-2,).

" Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron"

D. The Church should take note of the warning recorded in I Tim 6:1-21

[b]
1 Timothy 6 King James Version (KJV)

6 Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed.

2 And they that have believing masters, let them not despise them, because they are brethren; but rather do them service, because they are faithful and beloved, partakers of the benefit. These things teach and exhort.

3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;

4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,

5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.

7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.

8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.

10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

11 But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.

12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.

13 I give thee charge in the sight of God, who quickeneth all things, and before Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed a good confession;

14 That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ:

15 Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;

16 Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.

17 Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;

18 That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate;

19 Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life.

20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:

21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.[/b]

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter by tuffgongjo(m): 11:23am On Jan 10, 2015
He is so so on point here,waiting for some Zealot to start attacking him.

9 Likes

Re: Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter by tuffgongjo(m): 11:25am On Jan 10, 2015
Charleen94:

Type of letter: Expository letter
Example of an Expository letter;So Long A Letter by Mariama Ba

8 Likes

Re: Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter by Nobody: 11:37am On Jan 10, 2015
tuffgongjo:
Example of an Expository letter;So Long A Letter by Mariama Ba
LoL
Re: Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter by datguru: 3:15pm On Jan 10, 2015
So
Re: Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter by omanifrank(m): 3:15pm On Jan 10, 2015
haha
Re: Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter by PerfumeRepublik: 3:16pm On Jan 10, 2015
grin truth is Alomo

If u like write 10000 letters, the power of money will always outshine the power of open letters

7 Likes

Re: Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter by freezyprinzy(m): 3:16pm On Jan 10, 2015
and d congregation say amengrin

3 Likes

Re: Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jan 10, 2015
End time pastors.

1 Like

Re: Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter by olayincar(m): 3:17pm On Jan 10, 2015
Ok
Re: Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter by Sezua(m): 3:17pm On Jan 10, 2015
i thought this guy was a singer?, nowadays he write letter pass paul wey dey for Bible

5 Likes

Re: Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter by showreals(m): 3:17pm On Jan 10, 2015
Brb
Re: Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter by holatin(m): 3:18pm On Jan 10, 2015
shey na Christ embassy go first turn church to national theatre ni
even oyedepo did dat, no body write open letter.
abi pastor oyedepi too is like se.in dat are always right ?

Money can corrupt anybody even a nairaland mod.

3 Likes

Re: Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter by 9jagobetta: 3:18pm On Jan 10, 2015
Now, why should you struggle to go into a church and
pay N1000 entrance fee? No one need to tell you
that you are only going for entertainment. The holy
book says by their fruit you shall know them. From
Genesis to revelation God's things are free, even
His only begotten son was and made a free
sacrifice for pastor Chris and for us all. God is
humble, Jesus is humble, most of our Christian
leaders are not, but be sure of one thing!
judgement await us all, and it will start from the
pulpit. Now most of our pastors and some
Christians leaders are now living expensive at the
expense of we followers, 'church' ride on jet and
series of expensive cars. They have forgotten that
it is written that Christ entered Jerusalem with a
mere donkey. He did this to show humility,
simplicity, spirituality, good example of what we
should emulate plus the fact of the story of his
birth. if u ague there was no jet during his time
remember there was golden chariots, or you want
to say there was no exotic cars in His days i will
tell you there was unicorns and horses. I am
saying these only to remind and not to criticise
them, and I like to implore all faithful Christians to
pray for their redemption, for it is written: it will be
easier for a camel to pass trough the eye of a
needle than for a rich man to enter into the
kingdom of God. The wealth of the church that they
have all turned to their personal wealth, has put
them all in the position of the rich men Christ
Jesus is talking about. MEN OF GOD BEWARE!!! For
even paul said: pray for us.
If u believe in this truth click like or share. May God save us
all.
written by the inspiration of the holy spirit

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter by tejpot(m): 3:18pm On Jan 10, 2015
Cool
Re: Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter by Nutase: 3:18pm On Jan 10, 2015
tejpot:
Cool
9jagobetta:
GBAM!!!
holatin:
wao
showreals:
Brb

gistmelove:
Ok
olayincar:
Ok
omanifrank:
haha
datguru:
So
loomer:
GOD DE
loomer:
GOD DE
Richhommie:
Very interesting

Front page bookers association of Nigeria

12 Likes

Re: Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jan 10, 2015
freezyprinzy:
and d congregation say amengrin
I'm already considering taking pastoral duties as a profession then this bombshell. undecided

1 Like

Re: Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter by allisonluvsu(m): 3:19pm On Jan 10, 2015
Hmmm
Re: Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter by M4gunners: 3:19pm On Jan 10, 2015
Weldon bro.
Re: Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter by Misogynist2014(m): 3:21pm On Jan 10, 2015
Leave the man alone.
Re: Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter by KenSaroWiwa: 3:21pm On Jan 10, 2015
Do not be deceived by the church. These so called pastors are being exposed one by one.
Re: Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter by damosky12(m): 3:22pm On Jan 10, 2015
Ignorance! An 'open letter' indeed. This is one of the things bound to happen. Persecutions! The challenge with many so called Christians is that they know too much. Whatever any minister of God does is criticized. Even if Jesus comes to the world, its evident, they ll still look out for HIS faults.

2 Likes

Re: Etcetera Writes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Open Letter by holatin(m): 3:23pm On Jan 10, 2015
Nutase:

Front page bookers association of Nigeriaa
how our association in my absense

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Apostle Kingrich Reveals Danger In Olamide's Music Career / Apostle Suleman's Birthday Celebration In Turkey (Photos) / Why You Should Beware Of The Kind Of Prayer You Say On December 31st

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.