Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,791 members, 7,798,663 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:09 AM

Pls Advice On How To Change My Career Path - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pls Advice On How To Change My Career Path (1013 Views)

Frustrated With My Career What Should I Do / Fustrated With My Career What Should I Do / Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Advice On How To Change My Career Path by okoroja(m): 1:32pm On Jan 10, 2015
Pls I need advice. I hold B.sc Accounting but currently working in an insurance company as a marketer. I joined the company immediately after my NYSC just not be at home and equally gain working experience. I've been in this job for over 2 years now and am fed up, so need to go into field of my study. I don't want to build a career in marketing.
My problem is that most offers I see, my years of experience do not count. How do I go about it. How do I convince employers about my abilities.
Pls need genuine advice. Thanks
Re: Pls Advice On How To Change My Career Path by chubbypearl(f): 11:33pm On Jan 10, 2015
Since you studied accounting,why don't you try taking ICAN?It will go a long way in helping you.
Re: Pls Advice On How To Change My Career Path by okoroja(m): 7:40pm On Jan 11, 2015
Am already planning for that this year. Meanwhile I will be looking for job, preferably relating 2 my field. Thanks
Re: Pls Advice On How To Change My Career Path by aieromon(m): 1:02am On Jan 12, 2015
okoroja:
Am already planning for that this year. Meanwhile I will be looking for job, preferably relating 2 my field. Thanks

Register for the exams and then send out unsolicited applications to all the available audit firms. You must be prepared to work as an intern if given the opportunity.
Re: Pls Advice On How To Change My Career Path by okoroja(m): 12:16pm On Jan 13, 2015
That's a good advice. Thanks
Re: Pls Advice On How To Change My Career Path by Nobody: 6:30pm On Jan 13, 2015
okoroja:
Pls I need advice. I hold B.sc Accounting but currently working in an insurance company as a marketer. I joined the company immediately after my NYSC just not be at home and equally gain working experience. I've been in this job for over 2 years now and am fed up, so need to go into field of my study. I don't want to build a career in marketing.
My problem is that most offers I see, my years of experience do not count. How do I go about it. How do I convince employers about my abilities.

You can start by re-packaging yourself.

With your over 2 years of experience in marketing, you
certainly have added a few cross-functional skills that
will stand you out from being just another accountant.

(I even saw something about NAFDAC consultancy in your
signature sef!)

Find a way to rebrand yourself as MORE than just an
accountant... and look for employers who will
appreciate the extra value you bring to the table.

Cheers!
Re: Pls Advice On How To Change My Career Path by okoroja(m): 11:01am On Jan 14, 2015
Thanks for this awesome advice. I haven't been thinking in this direction. I need to rebrand myself as a mult skills not just an accountant.
Yes am a Nafdac registration consultant & I have been on it for over 4 years now. I thought all these experiences may be not relevant since they're not related to accounting/finance.
Now with this advice I have a change of mind. Thanks very much.
Re: Pls Advice On How To Change My Career Path by tanimola22: 1:04pm On Jan 14, 2015
okoroja:

Hello,

It's a good thing you want to take action, you want to move your career forward.

However, don't expect your 'years of experience' to count. You actually do not possess any actual work experience that will make you an experienced hire in core accounting..Except you can prove that you are equal to or better than someone who studied the same accounting as you and has been working in accounting for the same number of years you have been in marketing, you're better of threading with some caution.

My suggestion, start from the scratch, forget you've some marketing experience...Try to join an organization, advisably an accounting firm, where you can start from the bottom and gather experience in accounting. In the future, when you decide to work as an accountant for another firm, you can claim that you have a + b work experience. You're likely to be taken more seriously and employers are more likely to regard you as an experienced staff because you already have some experience in the area you want to work, plus another experience (in this case marketing). I believe this carries more weight than having only a marketing experience and then trying to get hired as an experienced staff in accounting grin. Anything is possible sha.

Accounting professional qualifications will help you in your journey.
Re: Pls Advice On How To Change My Career Path by okoroja(m): 5:15pm On Jan 14, 2015
Thanks my guy. You're equally right. Am beginning to have a clear picture of steps to tale.

(1) (Reply)

Job Alert Fmcg Nigerian Bottling Company Recruitment Is On / I Just Got A Job...i Need Your Advice. / KPMG Apptitude Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.