Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,519 members, 7,808,895 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:52 PM

GEJ's LOSS Likely A POSITIVE For Nigeria - Former Goldman Sachs Chairman - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ's LOSS Likely A POSITIVE For Nigeria - Former Goldman Sachs Chairman (1778 Views)

Nigeria’s Former NSA In N1.75 Billion Cash-for-arms Fraud-sahara Reporters / How PDP National Working Committee Share Campaign Money After GEJ Loss / Will Gej's Loss Be A Plus To Our Democracy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

GEJ's LOSS Likely A POSITIVE For Nigeria - Former Goldman Sachs Chairman by LRNZH(m): 9:49pm On Jan 10, 2015

Goldman Sachs Asset Management Former Chairman Jim O'Neill said, “If Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan doesn’t get re-elected, and its because of Nigerian people wanting something different and something better, I think the markets would be happy with that.”

A loss by Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan in general elections next month may be viewed “positively” by foreign investors and probably won’t rattle markets, according to Jim O’Neill, former chairman of Goldman Sachs Asset Management.

While Jonathan, 57, has presided over the sale of the nation’s mismanaged power utilities to private investors, his economic policies in the last four years “could have been better,” O’Neill said in a Jan. 7 interview in the capital, Abuja. Firing central bank Governor Lamido Sanusi last year, who brought “a lot of credibility” to the government, sent out a negative signal, he said.

“If he doesn’t get re-elected, and it’s because of Nigerian people wanting something different and something better, I think the markets would be happy with that,” said O’Neill. “Foreign investors are pretty negative about Nigeria, so I don’t dismiss the possibility that if he lost people actually might react positively.”

O’Neill ranks Nigeria, Africa’s biggest oil producer, alongside Mexico, Indonesia and Turkey in his MINT group. The countries have four of the largest emerging-market populations outside the BRIC nations of Brazil, Russia, India and China, an acronym he coined at Goldman.

Jonathan, a southern Christian, faces former military ruler Muhammadu Buhari, 72, a Muslim northerner and candidate of the opposition All Progressive Congress in the Feb. 14 vote. The ruling People’s Democratic Party, which has won every contest since army rule ended in 1999, faces its stiffest challenge against the APC, a merger of Nigeria’s biggest opposition parties. Africa’s most populous nation of more than 170 million people is split between a mainly Muslim north and predominantly Christian south.

Tough Stance
It isn’t clear what a Buhari victory would mean for investors because he hasn’t set out an economic policy, O’Neill said.

“People would be a bit worried,”
said O’Neill, who is also a Bloomberg View columnist. “But it depends on what would happen with the institutional framework and policies.”

Buhari, characterized by supporters as having a tough stance against corruption, came to power in a 1983 army coup and ruled for 20 months before he was unseated by a rival military faction. Buhari lost the 2011 presidential vote to Jonathan and failed to win in 2007 and 2003 elections.

Buhari is now seeking to tap discontent with Jonathan’s inability to stem attacks by Boko Haram, an Islamist insurgent group that has killed 13,000 in the north since 2009, according to the government.

‘Structural Changes’
The status of Africa’s largest economy as a prime frontier-market investment destination has been dented by oil prices that have fallen 52 percent over the past year, rising insurgency attacks in the country’s northeast and increasing political tensions ahead of next month’s elections.

Jonathan also removed central bank Governor Sanusi in February last year after Sanusi alleged the state oil company hadn’t remitted about $20 billion in revenue to the government. The Nigerian National Petroleum Corp. denied the allegations. Finance Minister Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala said in May auditors would take three to four months to clarify what had happened to the unaccounted oil receipts that stood at $10.8 billion.

With crude accounting for about 70 percent of government funding and 95 percent of foreign exchange, lower prices have reduced revenue and increased pressure on the naira, which the central bank devalued in November. The naira has fallen 10 percent in the past three months, the second worst performer out of 24 African currencies tracked by Bloomberg.

The lower oil price “exposes the lack of needed structural changes, that hopefully would still come,” O’Neill said. “Nigeria, like any country, shouldn’t be so dependent on the commodity cycle.”

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2015-01-08/o-neill-says-jonathan-vote-loss-may-be-seen-as-nigeria-positive.html

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: GEJ's LOSS Likely A POSITIVE For Nigeria - Former Goldman Sachs Chairman by minister2015: 10:09pm On Jan 10, 2015
SAI BUHARI/OSINBAJO

2 Likes

Re: GEJ's LOSS Likely A POSITIVE For Nigeria - Former Goldman Sachs Chairman by Nobody: 10:16pm On Jan 10, 2015
God knows my heart ...that I really desire inside the bottom of my heart, that my brother Ebele Jonathan should lose next year's election. But is it really possible, will those polithiefcians that invested 21 billion allow dia money waste like dat and not rig in a miraculous way? grin
Re: GEJ's LOSS Likely A POSITIVE For Nigeria - Former Goldman Sachs Chairman by LRNZH(m): 10:27pm On Jan 10, 2015
Oyinbo no dey yarn plenty.

The man has stylishly/diplomatically said that GEJ is bad news for investors and Nigerians should vote for GMB. grin

GMB 2015. Integrity on a Platter

6 Likes

Re: GEJ's LOSS Likely A POSITIVE For Nigeria - Former Goldman Sachs Chairman by appini: 10:35pm On Jan 10, 2015
All this educated illiterates for Godman sachs thinks say naija election na like Germany or Luxembourg polls...

Wetin concern agbero with overload
Re: GEJ's LOSS Likely A POSITIVE For Nigeria - Former Goldman Sachs Chairman by Sufdavinci(m): 11:06pm On Jan 10, 2015
Jonathan scorecard is F9 period.

1 Like

Re: GEJ's LOSS Likely A POSITIVE For Nigeria - Former Goldman Sachs Chairman by Nobody: 11:15pm On Jan 10, 2015
Jonathan failed the North, he failed the south, he failed the business community, he failed the religious community, he failed the intellectuals, he failed the children (chibok girls still missng), he failed the military (mutiny everywhere), he failed the diplomatic community, he failed the international community, he failed his duty as a husband, but he pleases the looting class and the Tompolos of this world.
“If Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan doesn’t get re-elected, and its because of Nigerian people wanting something different and something better, I think the markets would be happy with that.”

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: GEJ's LOSS Likely A POSITIVE For Nigeria - Former Goldman Sachs Chairman by Gogetta(m): 11:26pm On Jan 10, 2015
Front page ehhh!
Re: GEJ's LOSS Likely A POSITIVE For Nigeria - Former Goldman Sachs Chairman by LRNZH(m): 11:57pm On Jan 10, 2015
barcanista:
Jonathan failed the North, he failed the south, he failed the business community, he failed the religious community, he failed the intellectuals, he failed the children (chibok girls still missng), he failed the military (mutiny everywhere), he failed the diplomatic community, he failed the international community, he failed his duty as a husband, but he pleases the looting class and the Tompolos of this world.

grin but you're right
Re: GEJ's LOSS Likely A POSITIVE For Nigeria - Former Goldman Sachs Chairman by emmatok(m): 12:11am On Jan 11, 2015
barcanista:

Now i see why the stock market is closing negatively.
Re: GEJ's LOSS Likely A POSITIVE For Nigeria - Former Goldman Sachs Chairman by meracool(m): 12:16am On Jan 11, 2015
barcanista:

GEJ Has Failed this Nation Woefully..
He does not deserve a Second Chance..

2 Likes

Re: GEJ's LOSS Likely A POSITIVE For Nigeria - Former Goldman Sachs Chairman by Nobody: 12:21am On Jan 11, 2015
He deserve a jail term
meracool:

GEJ Has Failed this Nation Woefully..
He does not deserve a Second Chance..
Re: GEJ's LOSS Likely A POSITIVE For Nigeria - Former Goldman Sachs Chairman by Nobody: 12:23am On Jan 11, 2015
emmatok:

Now i see why the stock market is closing negatively.
Investors have lost confidence in our market all because of the cluelessnes of One man and his 4 co-presidents in Aso Rock
Re: GEJ's LOSS Likely A POSITIVE For Nigeria - Former Goldman Sachs Chairman by meracool(m): 12:25am On Jan 11, 2015
barcanista:
He deserve a jail term

Hmm... Yes I concur.

Never Knew our foreign Investors can Speak out to point out to Indigent Nigerians That the FG Has failed in the Economy Sphere..

I wonder what Okonjo is Doing in the Presidential Team.. I guess she's helping in Covering their Loot..

We just Need CHANGE..
Re: GEJ's LOSS Likely A POSITIVE For Nigeria - Former Goldman Sachs Chairman by tatosh: 12:30am On Jan 11, 2015
You don't even need to live in Nigeria to know that there is a calamity called GEJ who is the president
Re: GEJ's LOSS Likely A POSITIVE For Nigeria - Former Goldman Sachs Chairman by kennydee05(m): 12:32am On Jan 11, 2015
This man needs to be be ejected from Aso Rock and we also need to insert Buhari / Osinbajo.
Re: GEJ's LOSS Likely A POSITIVE For Nigeria - Former Goldman Sachs Chairman by dulaman: 12:33am On Jan 11, 2015
OK oh
Re: GEJ's LOSS Likely A POSITIVE For Nigeria - Former Goldman Sachs Chairman by kennydee05(m): 12:33am On Jan 11, 2015
JONATHANISM is a life threatening infection caused by a notorious, multi-drug resistant organism called GEJ. It manifested as endemic disease in Nigeria. It's main symptoms include; poverty, in-discipline, bribery, corruption, theft, insecurity, unemployment, pooreducation, bad roads, poor health care & no electricity supply among others. The current drugs found to be effective against the organism include; Atikucyline, Buharimycin, Kwankwasilline, Amechicillin and Tinibustan all available in APC Pharmacy nationwide. The Doctors in charge of spreading the disease were staff of APC hospital who left for PDP Referral Medical Center:
1. Consultant Ali modu sheriff
2. Surgeon General Shekarau
3. Dr. N. Ribadu
Some experts believed that high dose of Protesting can also eradicate it but with potential side effects. The most recent research has confirmed that judicious use of PVC ( your permanent voters card) at the right dosage (2015 election) will surely eradicate all the diseases as well as their side effects.
Re: GEJ's LOSS Likely A POSITIVE For Nigeria - Former Goldman Sachs Chairman by courage54(m): 12:36am On Jan 11, 2015
Fact
Re: GEJ's LOSS Likely A POSITIVE For Nigeria - Former Goldman Sachs Chairman by LRNZH(m): 12:53am On Jan 11, 2015
Most support for GEJ has come from people with tribalistic lean and those that have benefitted largely from the Corruption under his Gov't.

Otherwise, even a bat can see that GEJ has failed after over 4 years in power. As we type, two states are no longer flying the Nigeria flag. My generator must be tired of me self.
Re: GEJ's LOSS Likely A POSITIVE For Nigeria - Former Goldman Sachs Chairman by Flye: 1:41am On Jan 11, 2015
Even investors don't want him, so what are we waiting for?
Re: GEJ's LOSS Likely A POSITIVE For Nigeria - Former Goldman Sachs Chairman by tit(f): 1:43am On Jan 11, 2015
SOME PEOPLE WILL USE THEIR HAND TO SELL THEMSELVES INTO SLAVERY!

I pity some people.
Re: GEJ's LOSS Likely A POSITIVE For Nigeria - Former Goldman Sachs Chairman by obicentlis: 1:54am On Jan 11, 2015
My reason for not supporting Gej is cos of his romance with Abia gov T. A. Orji. Gej sacrificed Abia on the altar of sycophantic support of T. A. Orji. Nothing is working in Abia State, especially Aba where I live, its uninhabitable for dogs but we are living there but GEJ closed his eyes on the situation cos d gov sing his praises. Like GEj, like T. A. Orji

GMB for President
Alex Otti for Governor
Enyinna Abaribe for Senate
Kachi Nwogu for Aba south/north Fed house
.............. for state HOA

1 Like

Re: GEJ's LOSS Likely A POSITIVE For Nigeria - Former Goldman Sachs Chairman by LRNZH(m): 2:46am On Jan 11, 2015
obicentlis:
My reason for not supporting Gej is cos of his romance with Abia gov T. A. Orji. Gej sacrificed Abia on the altar of sycophantic support of T. A. Orji. Nothing is working in Abia State, especially Aba where I live, its uninhabitable for dogs but we are living there but GEJ closed his eyes on the situation cos d gov sing his praises. Like GEj, like T. A. Orji

GMB for President
Alex Otti for Governor
Enyinna Abaribe for Senate
Kachi Nwogu for Aba south/north Fed house
.............. for state HOA

Only myopic South Easterners and Nigerians will still. Support 6 years of waste.

My only worry is what has Okonjo-Iweala been doing all these years that investors still view Nigeria negatively?
Re: GEJ's LOSS Likely A POSITIVE For Nigeria - Former Goldman Sachs Chairman by Nobody: 4:11am On Jan 11, 2015
obongproff:
God knows my heart ...that I really desire inside the bottom of my heart, that my brother Ebele Jonathan should lose next year's election. But is it really possible, will those polithiefcians that invested 21 billion allow dia money waste like dat and not rig in a miraculous way? grin
rig and roast
Re: GEJ's LOSS Likely A POSITIVE For Nigeria - Former Goldman Sachs Chairman by tonte(m): 4:59am On Jan 11, 2015
Go jail am na

barcanista:
He deserve a jail term
Re: GEJ's LOSS Likely A POSITIVE For Nigeria - Former Goldman Sachs Chairman by LRNZH(m): 7:02am On Jan 11, 2015
tonte:
Go jail am na

With is daftness, I won't be surprised if he earns jail.

(1) (Reply)

Before 1999 Tinubu Had None Of These: / See Buhari Celebrating With Wife And Daughter In The Swimming Pool (pic) / Meet The First Nigerian Female ISIS Terrorist (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.