Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,868 members, 7,802,800 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:51 PM

Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby (28525 Views)

Buhari Sends Atiku To SA To Lobby Zuma For Adesina.....premium Times.(PIX) / 2015 Election: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby / Feb Poll: Tension In PDP Over INEC Deadline (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by seunfly: 4:01am On Jan 11, 2015
Several influential emirs have rebuffed a lobby by a fellow emir on behalf of President Goodluck Jonathan ahead of next month’s election.

The emirs, it was gathered, have chosen to be neutral and back whoever is freely voted into office by the electorate.

In the same camp as the pro-Jonathan emir are other traditional rulers from the North central and North west, according to a source familiar with the development.

One source said: “The Emir has been telling his colleagues that Jonathan has been fair to the North and to avoid a dent in the North/South south relationship, the President should be allowed to have a second term in office.

“Some of these Emirs and royal fathers pointed to the volatility of Northern politics and opted to take the back seat to await the people’s choice. Remember how a special adviser was burnt to death in the Second Republic for querying the Emir of Kano.

“A few other Emirs have discovered that the lobbying Emir has some vested interests to protect and they have chosen to ignore him.

“So, these Emirs may not be able to reach any consensus on either Jonathan or Buhari.”

It was also gathered that division has crept into the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), the Nigerian-Inter-Religious Council (NIREC) and the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) over who to back between President Goodluck Jonathan and Gen. Muhammadu Buhari.

NIREC has not been able to meet for almost a year owing to what a source described as “sheer politics.”

According to investigation some prominent NSCIA, NIREC and CAN members have taken a position on a presidential candidate but others yearning for change have disagreed.

Some however argued that these organizations should be neutral and rally round whoever wins the race.

It was gathered that some of these top leaders attributed their position to certain favours, perks and honour they stand to enjoy if their choice wins.

Findings revealed that the division in these top organizations has led to mutual suspicion among members and leaders.

A top source, who spoke in confidence, said: “There are issues about Jonathan and Buhari among members in these organizations. The body language and comments of some of these leaders have shown the direction they are going.

“The situation degenerated to the extent that in a meeting of one of these organizations, a leader was advising members on why a candidate must not be supported.

“Some of us are however saying that we should not take sides at all in the overall interest of the country.

“Of what use will it be when you are holding a position of trust to ensure unity and stability of the country and you are taking a partisan position.

“The inherent danger is that you will lose focus. Whatever favours or opportunities anyone might have enjoyed in the past and present, it remains a private matter.

“Before you know it, whoever is elected will be looking at how to cripple these associations.”

Investigation confirmed that NIREC appears worse hit by petty politics because the Inter-Religious body has been unable to meet in the past one year.

Another source said: “Contrary to what the public is being fed with, NIREC had fixed a meeting for Gombe but one of our leaders said he was uncomfortable with the state because of Boko Haram insurgency. This was after Gombe State Government had bankrolled our meeting and even guaranteed our safety.

“Later we shifted the NIREC meeting to Abuja and Gombe State Government was still ready to assist us. But some people did not just want the session to hold because of politics.

“Yet, this is a body which ought to assist the nation to address ethno-religious crises nationwide.”

The Emir of Zauzau, Alh Shehu Idris had in March last year pleaded with President Goodluck Jonathan to resuscitate NIREC

He made the plea when Jonathan met with traditional rulers from Kaduna State shortly before attending the zonal unity rally of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

He said: “I want to make a passionate appeal to the government to resuscitate the Nigerian Inter-religious Council at the national level

“After this, there should be the establishment of branches of NIREC in all the 36 states of the Federation.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/feb-poll-emirs-rebuff-pro-jonathan-lobby/

2 Likes

Re: Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by seunfly: 4:03am On Jan 11, 2015
Now he is begging the emirs of the same people he was playing ethno-religions bigotry with.
Is emir Sanusi included?

83 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by Beesluv: 4:11am On Jan 11, 2015
kwikwikwi

5 Likes

Re: Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by FastShipping: 4:12am On Jan 11, 2015
seunfly:
Now he is begging the emir of the same people he was playing ethno-religions bigotry with.
Is emir Sanusi included?

I thought his supporters said the Emirs were the ones breeding terrorists. GEJ is desperate to get second term. The 21 Billion Naira donation won't help him a bit.

113 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by brutef0rce101: 4:39am On Jan 11, 2015
You call them terrorist, A,boki and different names but you still want them to vote for you. Never!

141 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by mazzi: 6:55am On Jan 11, 2015
I don't read nationsnewspaper.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by mrvitalis(m): 8:41am On Jan 11, 2015
jona how.market

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by NaijaOptimist: 9:00am On Jan 11, 2015
GEJ has lost it. It will be surprising if he dose'nt loose woefully.
Even PDP is regretting his sole adoption and candidature.
Better for him to resign.

98 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by LRNZH(m): 9:18am On Jan 11, 2015
One Emir giving his N21Billion testimony to the other Emirs grin

72 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by SaiBuharii: 9:27am On Jan 11, 2015
Naija sha
Re: Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by PerfumeRepublik: 9:28am On Jan 11, 2015
Streets is watching

1 Like

Re: Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by siraj1402(m): 9:28am On Jan 11, 2015
Good

1 Like

Re: Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by Nobody: 9:29am On Jan 11, 2015
Traditional rulers must be neutral in politics.

That is all.

14 Likes

Re: Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by Nobody: 9:29am On Jan 11, 2015
brutef0rce101:
You call them terrorist, Aboki and different names but you still want them to vote for you. Never!

That is the problem I have with many PDP supporters here.

Many of them refer to Northern Muslims by uncomplimentary names....and yet...they cannot win this election without getting votes from them in substantial numbers.

Obama was not liked by conservative white christians....and he too did not like them. Yet...when running for president in 2008....he stilll reached out to them....because he knew that he had to get votes from them.

Likewise, Mitt Romney campaigned among blacks in 2012...even though he knew they would not vote for him...but he still tried.

In this democracy....we have to get rid of tribal and religious bigotry. That goes for all of us.

100 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by makzeze: 9:29am On Jan 11, 2015
Buhari/Osinbajo to Aso Rock and Aguda house respectively come May 2015.

65 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by condralbede(m): 9:31am On Jan 11, 2015
Emir or No Emir......All i can say is GEJ till 2019.

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by omophunky(m): 9:32am On Jan 11, 2015
Re: Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by januzaj(m): 9:32am On Jan 11, 2015
GMB 2015
As the presidential Election approaches remember
these factors:
1. The Chibok Girls.
2. NNPC Scam.
3. Police pension fund.
4. Missing $20Billion.
5. $9million Arms deal.
6. Bomb Blasts.
7. Immigration job scam.
8. Petroleum pump price.
9. Dwindling external reserves
10. Oil theft.
11. Incessant Power outage.
12.ASUU & poly Strike.
13. Doctors' Strike.
14. National Assembly tragedy.
15. Stella's Oduah Aviation Scam
16. Kerosene subsidy
17. Near-empty Excess Crude Account
They Didn't Raise 21Billion for Ebola;
They Didn't Raise 21Billion for dilapidated
hospitals;
They didn't raise 21Billion for Military Weapons
against Boko Haram
They Didn't raise 21Billion for children dying of
Vaccine preventable disease
They didn't raise 21Billion for the homeless>:O
BUT they all gathered to raise 21Billion for another
4Years of INEPTITUDE. IMPUNITY, MEDIOCRITY
AND BAD GOVERNANCE.
~:-) NO WAY!!! NO MORE!!!

131 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by Daniel058(m): 9:33am On Jan 11, 2015
Choi.. GEJ till 2019 grin grin ...... But wait oo , E be like say this OKECHUKWU grin grin BUHARI Get better plan for naija ooooooo

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by benebaby77: 9:33am On Jan 11, 2015
Nigerians gave the GEJ their trusts, loyalties, allegiances and pledges but he failed us:

by letting women dictate how he should rule the country with over 170 millions couple with 516 ethnics.

By politicizing everything rather than to tackle them as a head of states and most powerful person in Nigeria.

He let 'the seeking for second term' becloud his sense of ruling and directing the affairs of Nigeria.

He failed to tackle corruption so as so not to upset the chosen few

He made other countries to ridicule us in every ramification and made us to command a little respect before any country. Any country can do whatever she likes to Nigerians just or unjust.....

GEJ tried his best he could do as a president but let give another person a chance and see the result.

Give one reason to vote for GEJ and I will tell you a thousand reasons not to vote for him....

115 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by scribble: 9:33am On Jan 11, 2015
they want lame duck Buhari

who can fall down if the breeze is not blowing in his direction

8 Likes

Re: Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by Oxyde1(m): 9:33am On Jan 11, 2015
If they really mean to be nonpartisan,, then it's quite commendable!... However my instinct tells me they're rooting for the geriatric general!.... Otu ocha!!.. My second comment on NL lands me on Frontpage?!!... This feels so good, it's got to be illegal... This year is defo gon make excess brain!
Re: Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by GoldCircle: 9:34am On Jan 11, 2015
Coming from the nation newspaper owned by Jagaban. A source, a source and another senior source. How did this make the front page btw?

I'm beginning to suspect that Nairaland and her moderators are sympathetic to a particular party/candidate.

12 Likes

Re: Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by omusiliyu(m): 9:34am On Jan 11, 2015
Born to rule.

2 Likes

Re: Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by koboko69: 9:34am On Jan 11, 2015
GoldCircle:
Coming from the nation newspaper owned by Jagaban. A source, a source and another senior source. How did this make the front page btw?
I'm beginning to suspect that Nairaland and her moderators are sympathetic to a particular party/candidate.
Dont pretend to be blind...even if you are, u are not deaf, you can hear the sound of CHANGE every where. Jonathan is retiring back to Otuoke May 29

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by SweetJoystick(m): 9:35am On Jan 11, 2015
He never see anything yet grin

6 Likes

Re: Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by madridguy(m): 9:35am On Jan 11, 2015
Ok
Re: Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by Suljosh: 9:35am On Jan 11, 2015
Who the hell is GEJ?

8 Likes

Re: Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by Nobody: 9:35am On Jan 11, 2015
GoldCircle:

Some people are of a differing opinion!

Nairaland is neutral.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by Nobody: 9:35am On Jan 11, 2015
True statesmen always stay neutral in such matters, unlike that Mbaka guy

1 Like

Re: Feb Poll: Emirs Rebuff Pro-jonathan Lobby by Stundey(m): 9:36am On Jan 11, 2015
I always hear the saying "esu e kin wo bata (devil wears no shoe)", and i always gulfed by the thought "how did these people come to know this? Had any one of them ever crossed path with devil and saw his true being as the being who wears no shoe? But i found no answer to these questions. After many years of thoughts about the saying, a man surfaced as the one who had no shoe, the one who truely knows and understood the mind of the needy because he was once in the state and he begged for our votes to get the presidential seat for him. Less than four years later, i got answer to the question my mind was curious to get...and i really understood and affirmed to the saying that truely "devil wears no shoe"

40 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

EFCC May Go After Ex-first Lady Over N1trn Campaign Funds’ Disbursement / Senate Says Kalu's Seat Won't Be Declared Vacant Yet / Governor Akeredolu's Wife & Son Keep Him In Ibadan Against His Wishes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.