Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,915 members, 7,799,089 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 03:07 PM

Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home (15412 Views)

US Forces Locate Chibok Girls-New York Times / It Is PDP Loyalists That Are Complaining Of Hardship Not Nigerians - Ngige / ISIS: US Forces Kill Senior IS Leader Abu Sayyaf, Capture His Wife Umm Sayyaf (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by slimfine(f): 4:06pm On Dec 28, 2008
yes. I go to Highline Comm. College and I will transfer next year
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by cabali(m): 4:40pm On Dec 28, 2008
trust me. those nigerians who went out to Nigeria will be bad. Who says it is that bad? And the 500,000 figure? Just untrue
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by stalliontp(m): 4:58pm On Dec 28, 2008
slimfine:

yes. I was at this year's Inde. Party. do you know jeff or Emeka? or even elvis?

Naija Inde party, Last one i attended was in Seattle, used to live in Seattle, attended UW 04. I don't think i met u guys, I searched and looked for Nigerians online but the few responses i got back showed that people thought i was a 419, lol, Well i didn't know any better then trying to use the internet to connect to fellow naija that lived around.
@cabali - Yeah i doubt if 500,000 Nigerians will go home at once,  I know we are many and it is not really an unrealistic number considering how Nigerians travel during festive period. However the source is a suspect.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by slimfine(f): 9:53pm On Dec 28, 2008
stalliontp:

Naija Inde party, Last one i attended was in Seattle, used to live in Seattle, attended UW 04. I don't think i met u guys, I searched and looked for Nigerians online but the few responses i got back showed that people thought i was a 419, lol, Well i didn't know any better then trying to use the internet to connect to fellow naija that lived around.
@cabali - Yeah i doubt if 500,000 Nigerians will go home at once,  I know we are many and it is not really an unrealistic number considering how Nigerians travel during festive period. However the source is a suspect.

are you Ugochukwu, Nnamdi's friend? I am just guessing but who do you know in seattle?
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by stalliontp(m): 10:32pm On Dec 28, 2008
slimfine:

are you Ugochukwu, Nnamdi's friend? I am just guessing but who do you know in seattle?

No am not Ugochukwu, I know Doyin, Seyi, Omo Etue, Okozie, Do you know the crowd? Seattle doesn't have a Huge Nigerian population as at the last time am aware, So am sure it wont be affected much by the deluge of Nigerians returning home, lol
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by shotster50(m): 11:22pm On Dec 28, 2008
E-Mama, how do you know everyone in London (or is it UK) are into the Security and Landscaping Industries?? The post is about people in the States, do not bring the U.K into it, If you must do at least try to be accurate.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by bronxdog: 11:25pm On Dec 28, 2008
hahahahah

People wey no get jopb for America plenty o, now dem don tire to stay for America, make we give them ten lashes of the cane before we allow them enter our country Nigeria o.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by earTHMama: 11:27pm On Dec 28, 2008
E-Mama, how do you know everyone in London (or is it UK) are into the Security and Landscaping Industries?? The post is about people in the States, do not bring the UK into it, If you must do at least try to be accurate.
Oh please you know am saying the truth. Can you tell me the percentage of Nigerian immigrants in UK that have a white collar job? 5% may be. undecided
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by IGWEUSA(m): 1:10am On Dec 29, 2008
slimfine:

yes. I go to Highline Comm. College and I will transfer next year

@ slim fine

I know one Emeka that works at Boeing, he some times play football with the naija team.

Anyway, i will be a junior at University of washington by next year. shocked
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by slimfine(f): 2:58am On Dec 29, 2008
stalliontp:

No am not Ugochukwu, I know Doyin, Seyi, Omo Etue, Okozie, Do you know the crowd? Seattle doesn't have a Huge Nigerian population as at the last time am aware, So am sure it wont be affected much by the deluge of Nigerians returning home, lol

I know Omo Etue and Okezie. Okezie is my semi close friend. you be Ibo?
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by slimfine(f): 3:04am On Dec 29, 2008
IGWE_USA:

@ slim fine

I know one Emeka that works at Boeing, he some times play football with the naija team.

Anyway, i will be a junior at University of washington by next year. shocked

Good for you dear. I went to UW briefly for a biochemistry course. Not sure if I want to continue the course there though. I plan to transfer outta state though. What is your major?

the Emeka am asking you about also plays for naija football team but doesn't work at boeing. I am guessing you are Ibo by ur name undecided
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by IGWEUSA(m): 10:46am On Dec 29, 2008
slimfine:

Good for you dear. I went to UW briefly for a biochemistry course. Not sure if I want to continue the course there though. I plan to transfer out of state though. What is your major?

the Emeka am asking you about also plays for naija football team but doesn't work at boeing. I am guessing you are Ibo by ur name undecided

@ slime fine

I'm just completing my prereqisites for Biochemistry too.

So why did U want to transfer to an out of state University , and which one do u intend to.

Anyway, this is d voice of EBUKA , original igboman. shocked

Were the UW biochemistry profs crazy?
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by Thor(m): 10:57am On Dec 29, 2008
I think many people will be forced home, not just Africans.

That will be a good thing smiley smiley smiley
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by bronxdog: 1:11pm On Dec 29, 2008
in the year 2009 - 1600 people will loose their jobs daily in the UK, daily - una eye go see and touch pepper.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by fireangels(f): 9:29pm On Dec 29, 2008
what peeps fail to realise is that
there are more opportunities here in Naija undecided undecided
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by Kobojunkie: 9:43pm On Dec 29, 2008
fireangel$:

what peeps fail to realise is that
there are more opportunities here in Naija undecided undecided

For the umpteenth time, Not a single person fails to realize that. That is not the issue. There have been more opportunities in Nigeria from the beginning of time immemorial. The Question is does the environment in Nigeria foster the vast number of opportunities available in that country? HUGE DIFFERENCE!!
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by dean2725: 1:59am On Dec 30, 2008
Kobojunkie:

For the umpteenth time, Not a single person fails to realize that. That is not the issue. There have been more opportunities in Nigeria from the beginning of time immemorial. The Question is does the environment in Nigeria foster the vast number of opportunities available in that country? HUGE DIFFERENCE!!

well said brother. . . . . .
there is NAPEP and PAP for poverty eradication but the question is "how many people had benefited from the program?".  . . .  PDP executives may be.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by bronxdog: 2:00am On Dec 30, 2008
dean2725:

well said brother,

what meaningful thing has he/she said?
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by dean2725: 2:10am On Dec 30, 2008
bronx_dog:

what meaningful thing has he/she said?
you are asking me?
why can't you remove your eyes from your pocket tongue
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by slimfine(f): 4:03am On Dec 30, 2008
@Igwe-USA

Hey I am majoring in Pharmacy. some school need me to take Biochem class and some don't so I decided not to take it becuase the amount was quite expensive and yes UW Biochem Professors are crazy!!!. I was not even able to ask questions in class meaning that I had to got to the TA session which was time consuming since I work full time. Oh well, I am looking into schools that do not require BC. most likely California!

Ebuka?? (thinking) are you new in Seattle. I am Adaobi
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by IGWEUSA(m): 4:48am On Dec 30, 2008
slimfine:

@Igwe-USA

Hey I am majoring in Pharmacy. some school need me to take Biochem class and some don't so I decided not to take it becuase the amount was quite expensive and yes UW Biochem Professors are crazy!!!. I was not even able to ask questions in class meaning that I had to got to the TA session which was time consuming since I work full time. Oh well, I am looking into schools that do not require BC. most likely California!

Ebuka?? (thinking) are you new in Seattle. I am Adaobi

@ Slim fine (Adaobi)

I came over to America after graduating from secondary skool and spending One year in University of Nigeria , Nsuka. So i have spent almost three boring years here in Seattle.

So have u taken Ur PCAT?
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by shotster50(m): 7:40am On Dec 30, 2008
@ Emama,

I know the percentage of unskilled workers is higher is higher than that of skilled Nigerian workers here in the U.K But that does not mean it is that small. Most Nigerians I know are either doing a White Collar Job or running their own businesses. BTW some of your so called unskilled workers earn more than some white collar wokers.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by MrGlen: 8:38am On Dec 30, 2008
i dont know where EarthMama got her facts from but they are DEAD WRONG. 90 percent of Nigerians going home are just visiting and usually come back to the US thanking God for delivering them from that predicament called Nigeria. I Live in Dallas Texas and I can tell you for a fact no one is planning on moving back to Nigeria. Do you think no one would notice if 500,000 to a million Nigerians were all going back home? Obama just got elected into office and that alone has given whole world (especially the US) hope for a better tomorrow; so why would anybody want to leave a stable goverment in the US to go to a corrupt government in Nigeria. Overall if you keep God in your life you can overcome any hardship, but anybody that thinks Nigeria is in good shape or that the people who left Nigeria for a better oppurtunity are bad, you are sadly mistaken

PS earthmama do you live in the US and if so where in the US?
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by Beextra(m): 10:38am On Dec 30, 2008
hmmn
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by Thor(m): 11:07am On Dec 30, 2008
The problem is that most of the Nigerians living in the UK and the US work in menial, un-skilled jobs such as cleaning, road sweeping, burger bars and driving buses etc.

Normally the white people do not want those type of jobs when times are good and are happy that Africans fill the posts. But we all know that in times of recession, the immigrants will be forced out of their jobs to make way for unemployed local human resource.

This has a positive effect that the Africans are forced to return to their native countries to find work.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by stalliontp(m): 11:27am On Dec 30, 2008
Thor:

The problem is that most of the Nigerians living in the UK and the US work in menial, un-skilled  jobs such as cleaning, road sweeping, burger bars and driving buses etc.

Normally the white people do not want those type of jobs when times are good and are happy that Africans fill the posts. But we all know that in times of recession, the immigrants will be forced out of their jobs to make way for unemployed local human resource.

This has a positive effect that the Africans are forced to return to their native countries to find work.

The thing is that i used to think like you until i relocated to the U.S. I don't know much about the U.K because i have never lived there but i can tell you for a fact that the proportion of Nigerians working odd jobs and those in the professional field vis a vis the U.S general population is the same. And you know what? Most of the Nigerians doing Menial jobs are those with no legal status,  overstayed visiting visas and stuff like that. If they happen to have work permit - don't be shocked that Nigerians are more likely to be in professional fields than any other class of immigrants in the U.S because we are one of those with the highest level of education.
check out this quote from an article in  the Houston Chronicle
"Although they make up a tiny portion of the U.S. population, a whopping 17 percent of all Nigerians in this country held master's degrees while 4 percent had a doctorate, according to the 2006 American Community Survey conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau. In addition, 37 percent had bachelor's degrees."
And here is the link to that effect http://isteve..com/2008/05/nigerians-are-most-educated-nationality.html
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by Thor(m): 1:42pm On Dec 30, 2008
@StallionTP

I agree that some of the Nigerians (legal ones at least) do hold professional positions, I have a few friends that are Doctors in the UK and others that work for African TV, but that aside, I do not believe the figures relating to the highest education amongst immigrants. We are all aware that if the qualifications are Nigerian, then many of them are forged and not worth the paper they are written on. Only qualifications obtained through a non third world nation should be counted.

I think that Nigerians returning home with their newly found skills and status is not a bad thing, they can give such allot to their mother country.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by Kobojunkie: 3:40pm On Dec 30, 2008
stalliontp:

The thing is that i used to think like you until i relocated to the US. I don't know much about the UK because i have never lived there but i can tell you for a fact that the proportion of Nigerians working odd jobs and those in the professional field vis a vis the US general population is the same. And you know what? Most of the Nigerians doing Menial jobs are those with no legal status,  overstayed visiting visas and stuff like that.

Thank you so much for clearing up that ignorant rant that the whites put Nigerians down to work menial jobs in the USA.

I have lived in this country long enough to know that Nigerians are considered on the same level as Indians, Chinese workers are. I seldom meet a Nigerian who is legal in the United States working “menial” job. I mean people need to stop making up ridiculous stories and get with reality. I know of Nigerians who are managers in fortune 500 companies and are doing well even with the recession.

stalliontp:

If they happen to have work permit - don't be shocked that Nigerians are more likely to be in professional fields than any other class of immigrants in the US because we are one of those with the highest level of education.

Thank You o jare!!

Thor:

@StallionTP

I agree that some of the Nigerians (legal ones at least) do hold professional positions, I have a few friends that are Doctors in the UK and others that work for African TV, but that aside, I do not believe the figures relating to the highest education amongst immigrants. We are all aware that if the qualifications are Nigerian, then many of them are forged and not worth the paper they are written on. Only qualifications obtained through a non third world nation should be counted.

Ignorance is not bliss!! Go out there. Stop watching TV. Step outside of your door, into big companies and you will see Nigerians there. In fact stop hanging out with people who have not and maybe you might find that life is not as bad as you make it. I so hate it when someone comes up with these ridiculous claims.

Thor:

I think that Nigerians returning home with their newly found skills and status is not a bad thing, they can give such allot to their mother country.

lol ,  agh!! so you do not believe the stats that are actually recorded but you will believe the arbitrary claim made by nigerian news papers with no serious evidence as to where the quoted numbers come from?? BRILLIANT!!
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by LeMoor(m): 4:11pm On Dec 30, 2008
This Thread is very funny. And the level of ignorance contained in it is amazing.
I am a Nigerian living/working in the west. My immediate circle and people I know include countless doctors who earn a minimum of $150k and abov, numerous business school grads who all work in fortune 500 companies. (including 2 vice presidents) for one of the top five banks (by the way, these vp's are not even in their 30's yet). Countless consutlants for deloitte and accenture. And all of these people, none of them out of a job yet, So all this talk of Nigerians only doing menial jobs, etc etc is all meaningless and besides the point.

True times are tough and the economy is bad, but this is true for everyone everywhere. But what I find amazing is, it is people whose livelihood directly depends on the US' ability to purchase their only product, that seem to be rejoicing at what they deem to be the misfortune of other Nigerians in the west. With the ever falling prices of crude (presently lower at the national budgetary provisions), I would have though we would be thinking of how to move our country away from oil export dependency

As for me, I still wake up at 8am, leave my house by 9am and get to work by 9:20. Leave work by 5:30 and I am home by 5:50pm. Am I rushing home anytime soon? Nah, I don't think so. But guess what? for al the hating I see on this board, if I do intend to come back home, i will most likely still sign a very lucrative contract with a firm back home, and there will be NOTHING anybody can do about it,
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by sage(m): 4:47pm On Dec 30, 2008
make una leave talk jare

go naija go do wetin
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by shotster50(m): 12:05am On Dec 31, 2008
@ Le Mor,

Thank you for your post. I couldnt put it any better. It really rankles me when people post ignorant and generalizing threads up here. For as many unskilled/menial workers there are skilled Nigerian workers in the U.K case closed.
Re: Hardship In US. Forces Nigerians Home by Ndipe(m): 12:36am On Dec 31, 2008
Le Moor:

This Thread is very funny. And the level of ignorance contained in it is amazing.
I am a Nigerian living/working in the west. My immediate circle and people I know include countless doctors who earn a minimum of $150k and abov, numerous business school grads who all work in fortune 500 companies. (including 2 vice presidents) for one of the top five banks (by the way, these vp's are not even in their 30's yet). Countless consutlants for deloitte and accenture. And all of these people, none of them out of a job yet, So all this talk of Nigerians only doing menial jobs, etc etc is all meaningless and besides the point.

True times are tough and the economy is bad, but this is true for everyone everywhere. But what I find amazing is, it is people whose livelihood directly depends on the US' ability to purchase their only product, that seem to be rejoicing at what they deem to be the misfortune of other Nigerians in the west. With the ever falling prices of crude (presently lower at the national budgetary provisions), I would have though we would be thinking of how to move our country away from oil export dependency

As for me, I still wake up at 8am, leave my house by 9am and get to work by 9:20. Leave work by 5:30 and I am home by 5:50pm. Am I rushing home anytime soon? Nah, I don't think so. But guess what? for al the hating I see on this board, if I do intend to come back home, i will most likely still sign a very lucrative contract with a firm back home, and there will be NOTHING anybody can do about it,

How do you know they make a "minimum of $150k?" And if your inner circle of friends include business people with 2 under 30, being VPs at one of the top five banks, dude, wetin you dey yarn sef?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

You Are Politically Unstable: Secondus Blasts Shekarau / President Buhari Set To Dissolve Cabinet / Kemi Adeosun Reacts On Writing To The President Regarding The Abacha Refunds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.