Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,561 members, 7,809,046 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:45 PM

Photographer Travels From Yakutsk To Oymyakon, The Coldest Village On Earth - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Photographer Travels From Yakutsk To Oymyakon, The Coldest Village On Earth (2840 Views)

Antarctica: A Trip To The Coldest, Windiest, And Driest Continent On The Planet. / You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. / Photographer Travels From Yakutsk To Oymyakon, The Coldest Village On Earth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Photographer Travels From Yakutsk To Oymyakon, The Coldest Village On Earth by zimoni(f): 2:54pm On Jan 12, 2015
The Coldest Place On Earth

Culled from http://www.boredpanda.com/coldest-village-oymyakon-amos-chapple/

If you think that winter has already come to your city, pictures from Oymyakon, the coldest village on Earth, might change your mind. With the lowest temperature of -67.7°C (-90°F), recorded in 1933, and the average for January being -50°C (-60°F), this village is the coldest permanently inhabited place on this planet. New Zealand-based photographer Amos Chapple decided to go on a two-day journey from Yakutsk, the coldest major city on Earth, to capture what everyday life is like in Oymyakon.

“I was wearing thin trousers when I first stepped outside into – 47 °C (-52°F). I remember feeling like the cold was physically gripping my legs, the other surprise was that occasionally my saliva would freeze into needles that would prick my lips”, the photographer told to weather.com.

The photographer recalls that the hardest thing was not the cold itself, but that his camera’s focus and zoom rings would occasionally freeze in place.

It got down to -24 degrees Fahrenheit in Oymyakon, Russia, over the weekend. As frigid as that seems, it’s typical for this town, long known as the coldest inhabited place on Earth. If that kind of number is hard to wrap your brain around, such a temperature is so cold that people here regularly consume frozen meat, keep their cars running 24/7 and must warm the ground with a bonfire for several days before burying their dead.

It’s hard to know why anyone would want to live in such a place, and harder still to imagine why anyone would want to visit. But photographer Amos Chapple just couldn’t resist.

“I shoot travel photos aimed at the news sections of papers and need a headline to hang a story on,” the New Zealander said. “‘The coldest place on Earth’ is pretty irresistible.”

He traveled more than 10,000 miles to reach this village of 500 residents tucked away in a remote corner of Siberia. It’s so nasty that planes can’t land during the winter, and it takes two days to arrive by car from Yakutsk, the nearest major city (it’s 576 miles away). Chapple spent several weeks shooting in Oymyakon and Yakutsk during the long, dark month of January in 2013 and 2014. His remarkable photos capture the cold, bleak landscape and the hardy residents who brave unimaginable conditions.

Oymyakon sits at a 63.4608° N, 142.7858° E latitude, just a few hundred miles from arctic circle. It’s dark — completely, utterly dark — for up to 21 hours a day during the winter, and the temperature averages -58. That’s balmy compared to one February in 1933, when Oymyakon earned its title as the coldest place on Earth when the mercury plunged to -90.

Here arctic chill is simply a fact of life, something to be endured. People develop a variety of tricks to survive. Most people use outhouses, because indoor plumbing tends to freeze. Cars are kept in heated garages or, if left outside, left running all the time. Crops don’t grow in the frozen ground, so people have a largely carnivorous diet—reindeer meat, raw flesh shaved from frozen fish, and ice cubes of horse blood with macaroni are few local delicacies.

Chapple found it difficult to speak with the people he encountered, as many people were rushing as fast as possible from one oasis of warmth to another. Those willing to chat warned him about the rampant alcoholism, particularly during the holiday months.

Oymyakon weather played hell with Chapple’s camera. He faced unending challenges while shooting. “There was a lot to learn, it took several days to figure out some tricks to be able to keep working,” he said. “From the moment I left the hotel in the morning the temperature of the camera would begin to drop. Once the guts of the camera froze, that was it for the day.”

Chapple would wander around with his jacket half open, trying to keep the camera warm against his body and drawing it out only when he had a shot. He also had to hold his breath when snapping frames, as the steam from his mouth would “swirl around like cigar smoke” and ruin the images.

He experienced the reality of Oymyakon’s bitter cold firsthand when he tried to take an overview shot of the town. There were no accessible hills near the village, so Chapple climbed up a radio mast in the center of the village, swinging nearly 50 feet above the ground. Still unable to get his shot, he hastily pulled off his outer gloves and took the photo.

“I could then shoot with some dexterity but by the time I got down to the ground my thumb had frozen,” Chapple said. “I had to make a dash for my guesthouse with my hand shoved down my trousers. For the next two weeks the skin on that thumb peeled like some kind of terrible sunburn.”

The Central Market In Yakutsk is full of fish and meat as the crops do not grow there

The ‘Road Of Bones’ is the only route to Oymyakon

Even the village sign reads ‘Omyakon, The Pole Of Cold’

A woman walks by a frozen house located in the village center

A thick layer of fur keeps these dogs warm

Most toilets are built outside, because the frozen ground makes it impossible to build indoor plumbing

Local farmer keeps his cows warm at night by tucking them away in this barn

The only working shop in Oymyakon provides the villagers with everything they need

Cars can only be placed in heated garages. The ones left outside must keep running, otherwise they won’t restart

A coal heating plant keeps the villagers warm

Re: Photographer Travels From Yakutsk To Oymyakon, The Coldest Village On Earth by borntosave: 2:57pm On Jan 12, 2015
Wow
Re: Photographer Travels From Yakutsk To Oymyakon, The Coldest Village On Earth by hahn(m): 3:00pm On Jan 12, 2015
All for the love of adventure. Meanwhile, some people are still promising us 24hours power supply.

*laughs in martian*

1 Like

Re: Photographer Travels From Yakutsk To Oymyakon, The Coldest Village On Earth by Ufranklin92(m): 3:03pm On Jan 12, 2015
Why person go live inside fridge undecided
Re: Photographer Travels From Yakutsk To Oymyakon, The Coldest Village On Earth by dhabeautyjas(f): 3:07pm On Jan 12, 2015
wow
Re: Photographer Travels From Yakutsk To Oymyakon, The Coldest Village On Earth by tdayof(m): 3:10pm On Jan 12, 2015
Coldest place on earth??

But op

I would love to

Live there embarassed undecided
Re: Photographer Travels From Yakutsk To Oymyakon, The Coldest Village On Earth by Tallesty1(m): 3:15pm On Jan 12, 2015
The guy get liver.
Re: Photographer Travels From Yakutsk To Oymyakon, The Coldest Village On Earth by Mprex(f): 3:25pm On Jan 12, 2015
I hate been cold. I cant think of spending an hour in a place like this embarassed
Re: Photographer Travels From Yakutsk To Oymyakon, The Coldest Village On Earth by decode55(m): 4:09pm On Jan 12, 2015
I can't stay here o! grin grin

The small harmattam I'm experiencing in Nigeria sef dey do me somehow.

Here arctic chill is simply a fact of life, something to be
endured. People develop a variety of tricks to survive.
Most people use outhouses, because indoor plumbing
tends to freeze. Cars are kept in heated garages or, if
left outside, left running all the time. Crops don’t grow
in the frozen ground, so people have a largely
carnivorous diet—reindeer meat, raw flesh shaved from
frozen fish, and ice cubes of horse blood with macaroni
are few local delicacies.

Choi! shocked shocked
Re: Photographer Travels From Yakutsk To Oymyakon, The Coldest Village On Earth by zimoni(f): 4:20pm On Jan 12, 2015
More Pics

Re: Photographer Travels From Yakutsk To Oymyakon, The Coldest Village On Earth by Nmeri17: 4:50pm On Jan 12, 2015
Mprex:
I hate been cold. I cant think of spending an hour in a place like this embarassed

feel free to lie in my bosom sweery. I will even keep the sun by you to keep you warm wink
Re: Photographer Travels From Yakutsk To Oymyakon, The Coldest Village On Earth by michaelbiz: 7:31pm On Jan 12, 2015
Ufranklin92:

As in....l just dey ask myself ooo sad
MUST THEY LIVE HERE? Haba! Of all places on this wonderful earth cry
Re: Photographer Travels From Yakutsk To Oymyakon, The Coldest Village On Earth by zimoni(f): 12:35am On Jan 13, 2015
More pics

Re: Photographer Travels From Yakutsk To Oymyakon, The Coldest Village On Earth by zimoni(f): 12:44pm On Jan 13, 2015
More Pics

Re: Photographer Travels From Yakutsk To Oymyakon, The Coldest Village On Earth by ligopedro: 8:18pm On Jan 14, 2015
Ufranklin92:
This one na freezer ooooh no be fridge .. grin grin grin
Re: Photographer Travels From Yakutsk To Oymyakon, The Coldest Village On Earth by Aspireahead(m): 8:42pm On Jan 14, 2015
i will love to do something like this....when i have the cash though.
Re: Photographer Travels From Yakutsk To Oymyakon, The Coldest Village On Earth by Nobody: 11:29pm On Jan 14, 2015
interesting...

I don't know about others, but I love the pronunciation and spelling of those Russian towns and villages. it makes me feel like going there..
Re: Photographer Travels From Yakutsk To Oymyakon, The Coldest Village On Earth by Nobody: 5:22pm On Jan 20, 2015
Na Deep Freezer

ligopedro:

This one na freezer ooooh no be fridge .. grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

10 Most Terrifying Places On Earth / My Experienced Living In Northern Nigeria / Lagos Traffic And Danfo Drivers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.