Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,147 members, 7,780,085 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:29 AM

We Will Use Technology To Rid Nigeria Of Corruption If Reelected -------- Gej - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Will Use Technology To Rid Nigeria Of Corruption If Reelected -------- Gej (958 Views)

"Akpabio Said Magu Will Use Them For Pepper Soup If Confirmed" - MURIC / I would rid Nigeria Of Corruption of Given Another Chance - GEJ (premium Times) / I’ll Rectify Unequal Appointment Of Yorubas If Reelected, Says Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Will Use Technology To Rid Nigeria Of Corruption If Reelected -------- Gej by rabimlomo: 4:03pm On Jan 13, 2015
Our president has promised he will rid Nigeria of corruption within the next five years if given another chance.

President Goodluck Jonathan said on Monday that his successor would not have any difficulty fighting corruption because of the technology his administration is putting in place to fight the menace.
Addressing party supporters at the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, campaign rally in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital, Mr. Jonathan, who is the presidential candidate of the party, promised to end corruption in Nigeria, if given the mandate to run the country for another four years.
“I promise you if you vote for me and I come back and serve this country in the next four years, the next persons that will become the president of this country will not talk about corruption because we are working on technology and we will use technology to block all these areas through which people are corruptly enriching themselves,” he said.
Mr. Jonathan, who has severally accused of condoning corruption, added: “Today we are talking about IT. We are no longer in the analogue generation. So we want to deploy IT to solve problems and I tell you in the next five years nobody will harass the next president for not fighting corruption because I will solve the problem of corruption in this country.”
The presidential candidate of the All Progressive Congress, APC, Muhammadu Buhari, had promised during one of his campaign rallies last week that he would jail corrupt leaders.
However, Mr. Jonathan, who assured of his commitment to stamp out corruption, said he would not do so by sending corrupt Nigerians to jail.
He said his administration has prosecuted more people than any past administration in the country.
He said, “But let me assure Nigerians about my commitment and my method of solving the problem of corruption or fighting is not the number of people I tried and jailed.
“In terms of people I tried and jailed, maybe I will give you the statistics on my subsequent outing because I have asked them to give me the comprehensive statistics.
“We have tried more Nigerians. More Nigerians have been jailed within this period, but we followed due process. But I used to tell people that even if I tried 10 million Nigerians and jailed five million Nigerians for corruption, I have not solved the corruption problem.
“For you to stop corruption, you must use modern technology to prevent people from stealing. And that is what we are working on. The oil industry is a good area. We are working very hard. I don’t just want to say certain things. All these people have so much money that they will do everything to stop us.”
Mr. Jonathan criticised Mr. Buhari for promising to abolish the office of the First lady if he was elected.
The president said he would not do so because the office and other women associations are used as a channel to empower the country’s women.
He said, “They said they are going to ban the office of the first lady, they are going to ban the office of the governors’ wives, they are going to ban the office of local government chairman, they are going to ban the Defence officers wives, army officers wives association, naval officers wives association, police officers wives association.
“But me, having served as deputy governor, governor, vice president and president, I can tell you that these offices are helping us to mobilize our women. And these offices are encouraged to set up NGOs. They money they spend does not come from government budget. They run NGOs.
“Nigeria had a lot of philanthropists. They want spend money and they use some of these channels to empower our women. You don’t have to turn them to baby factory alone.
“I promise the Nigeria that if we open international magazines parading women I want to see Nigerian women in those magazines. The Nigerian women on their own have struggled to reach the highest positions in their country. I am making deliberate effort to try to put you on the international limelight. That is what I am doing. I don’t believe that you are designed to pound yam for me.
“I don’t think your duty is merely to procreate. But you cannot be a baby factory manufacturing children and doing nothing because my conviction is that as a biologist, the brain God gave men and women equally. Physically men are more endowed but both men and women and equally endowed in brain.
Mr. Jonathan said he had always believed that “any human population that does not give equal opportunity to women you are not exploiting 50% of their brains.”
He added, “For me we must exploit 50% of their brains for the purpose of developing this country. That is why you see so many women holding top offices in my cabinet and we will encourage them the more. I don’t believe women should not be given top positions. If that is the belief of others so be it. A vote in 2015 is a vote to liberate them or imprisoned them to the kitchen.”
Mr. Jonathan paid tribute to some Yoruba leaders, including the first Premier of Western Region, Obafemi Awolowo, the late Chairman of the defunct National Party of Nigeria, NPN, Adisa Akinloye, a former governor of Oyo State, Lam Adesina, a former Minister of Justice, Richard Akinjide and the late Lamidi Adedibu, all of who he described as “great men who have led the country and are still leading.”
He added that “We want to model our leadership after them because they achieved greatness.”
Mr. Jonathan described Ibadan as the political headquarters of the South West just as he paid tribute to the people of the region.
According to him, it was the people of the region that encouraged him to convoke the 2014 National conference.
“Ibadan is a leading light to all parts of this country. South West has played great in education. The south west encouraged me to start the National Dialogue. I have to give that accolade to the South West. You donated one of yours who was the pioneer to set the agenda,” the president said.

Source: http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/174816-ill-rid-nigeria-corruption-given-another-chance-jonathan.html
Re: We Will Use Technology To Rid Nigeria Of Corruption If Reelected -------- Gej by vanndubi: 4:14pm On Jan 13, 2015
@OP, He knew all these while that advanced tech could be used to get rid of corruption and he is yet to deploy it?

Again, did he budget for the IT system he intend using in this year's budget?

2 Likes

Re: We Will Use Technology To Rid Nigeria Of Corruption If Reelected -------- Gej by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jan 13, 2015
vanndubi:
@OP, He knew all these while that advanced tech could be used to get rid of corruption and he is yet to deploy it?

Again, did he budget for the IT system he intend using in this year's budget?

Well said!!! Only the naive and timid believes all this crap..

1 Like

Re: We Will Use Technology To Rid Nigeria Of Corruption If Reelected -------- Gej by AmandaaaP(f): 4:46pm On Jan 13, 2015
GEJ take your technology with you to Otuoke

2 Likes

Re: We Will Use Technology To Rid Nigeria Of Corruption If Reelected -------- Gej by size38: 5:08pm On Jan 13, 2015
I will use technology to rid nigeria of corruption if re elected GEJ. Lol.... OBJ and Ribadu used bared hand to catch and jail both political and creek criminals like Alams, Bode George, Asari Dokubo, joshua Dariye, Ayo Fayose etc. GEJ is waiting to use technology which he has never lay any foundation for technological advancement of nigeria. Lol... Again.

1 Like

Re: We Will Use Technology To Rid Nigeria Of Corruption If Reelected -------- Gej by vanndubi: 8:37pm On Jan 13, 2015
Actually, a system like SAP could be used to curtail corruption. Okonjo Iweala had once advocated for improved e-government.

If such a system were in place, a minister like Oduah would not have had access to approve a contract of 200+ million fortthe two cars (more than twice her approval limit)

My concern is: what happens to persons who manipulate such IT system to steal public fund under Nigerian law?
Re: We Will Use Technology To Rid Nigeria Of Corruption If Reelected -------- Gej by rabimlomo: 2:23am On Jan 14, 2015
vanndubi:
Actually, a system like SAP could be used to curtail corruption. Okonjo Iweala had once advocated for improved e-government.

If such a system were in place, a minister like Oduah would not have had access to approve a contract of 200+ million fortthe two cars (more than twice her approval limit)

My concern is: what happens to persons who manipulate such IT system to steal public fund under Nigerian law?

My brother, that is the real issue here o. even if it is possible to use technology for fighting corruption, no be people wey go dey operate am? or we go buy robots wey go operate am?
Re: We Will Use Technology To Rid Nigeria Of Corruption If Reelected -------- Gej by Nobody: 3:48am On Jan 14, 2015
aba made tekinology.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

General Chris Olukolade Talks About Security/boko Haram & More On Twitter / What I, Fani Kayode And Other Nigerians Want From Gen Buhari by Julius Diamond / Jega,what If In Six Weeks Time Northeast Is Still Not Secure,what Happens?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.