Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:13 AM

Kalabari People! - Culture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Kalabari People! (115363 Views)

Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) / Rivers Wedding (opobo N Kalabari) / Kalabari Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kalabari People! by nayeb: 6:21pm On Nov 26, 2013
Ok, Ok, I recognize that a "fool is not teachable". Then, of course, this "shota", an alterego of Tom Taraalaapuye Alabaraba, is a fool.
Re: Kalabari People! by shota(m): 9:48pm On Nov 27, 2013
nayeb: Ok, Ok, I recognize that a "fool is not teachable". Then, of course, this "shota", an alterego of Tom Taraalaapuye Alabaraba, is a fool.

Now his confusion is obvious .MR MAN. KNOW THE HISTORY OF THE KULA, MINAMA , IFOKO , ANGULAMA , KE , SOKU , KORO AME , AKIALA AME , IGODO AME , BUKO AME , AMABIBI AME and others before you can write the history of KALABARI . KALABARI is not just Ende ame . CONFUSED old man . I am not Tom Alabraba
Re: Kalabari People! by nayeb: 11:16pm On Nov 27, 2013
I suppose the word "Alter ego" and its varied usages are lost to this clear-thinking man! Or instead of "clear-thinking man" should I have said "fool"? Little wonder waiting to read the book seems out of consideration.
Re: Kalabari People! by funmise(f): 2:59pm On Dec 21, 2013
Thank you all for your enlightenment but could someone please help me with the meaning BENEBO, I believe it is a Kalabari name.

Will really appreciate your responses.

Many thanks.
Re: Kalabari People! by shota(m): 4:39am On Jan 02, 2014
funmise: Thank you all for your enlightenment but could someone please help me with the meaning BENEBO, I believe it is a Kalabari name.

Will really appreciate your responses.

Many thanks.

BENEBO=== Some one BORN on Friday.. BeNE means the day before the market day of Saturday.
Re: Kalabari People! by nayeb: 8:34pm On Jan 03, 2014
shota:
BENEBO=== Some one BORN on Friday.. BeNE means the day before the market day of Saturday.

Shota, stop writing nonsense, and stop writing false knowledge. Just stop showing up your ignorance about Kalabari.
Re: Kalabari People! by shota(m): 7:50pm On Jan 04, 2014
nayeb:

Shota, stop writing nonsense, and stop writing false knowledge. Just stop showing up your ignorance about Kalabari.

What then is Benebo ? Tell the young man who asked the question if you think I am wrong.. Be constructive.

In Kalabari.. FeniBENE Fenibene is Friday..... A male child born on this Day is called BENEBO... FeniBene is the market day before Saturday.. FE NI Be ENE... ( market day )
Re: Kalabari People! by robosky02(m): 10:58am On Sep 22, 2014
uncle KIWI its high time you come home or at least visit BAKANA
the town is in transition.
come join us lets rebuild
Re: Kalabari People! by robosky02(m): 5:02pm On Sep 26, 2014
i read this line above in one of the discuss

" Now the dispersal of KALABARI PROPER FROM THE OLD SHIPPING WAS DUE TO INTERNAL CRISES. It started when Chief Igbanibo rebeled against the authority of KING AMAKIRI."

thus to just start that Igbanibo rebeled against Amakiri will sound like saying Igbanibo is sturborn.
rather the truth is that

IGBANIBO as his name suggest means the agitator, the one who fights for his right
He was hair apparent to the Kingship upon which Amakoro (or Amakiri) is seating on
and was a treat to amakiri thus the plot to eliminate him.
which made him to flee by night to IWOFE were he blocked the Kalabaris from ever passing to go and by food. and later
moved over to found Bakana
Re: Kalabari People! by OboloMAN: 1:01am On Oct 14, 2014
shota:

King Awome said to be from a splinter group spoke the same language with the ende ame people.The name Awome is a typical name of the Ende ame group as well. They were the KALABARI people documented as Calabar by the Portuguese and CALABAR was a proper spelling any Portuguese would give to any one calling himself KALABARI since in Portuguese the last consonant R is always pronounced.

Some facts of history dunces are not always able to put down is the history of OBU AMAFA where the Ende ame came from. Their father was Perebo KALABARI who was born in OBU AMAFA . Was Perebo KALABARI the only man in Obu AMAFA ? Who were the people of Obu amafa and what language did they speak ? What language was even the name PEREBO KALABARI ? who were his people and what language did he speak with his people ? How many children did he born ? Was ENDE his only child ? .. Some answers... THE PEOPLE OF OBU AMAFA were KALABARI people who spoke KALABARI dialect. The Perebo KALABARI phrase was not a name but a title. A title given to a wealthy KALABARI man whose father was a man from MEIN KINGDOM ( MEIN OWEI ). The Title PERE OF THE KALABARI in OBU AMAFA was shortened to PEREBO KALABARI. His name was not known.. Besides, the Kalabari people of OBU AMAFA, There were KALABARI people in other fishing settlements and the people met near Duke town were some KALABARI fishing group led by Owuere ye Daba who were documented as CALABAR people. Their neighbors were the Efik who were known as MBOKO at that time. Owuere ye Daba UTILIZED tHE RIVER CALABAR as his fishing creek and eventually met the AROCHUKWU IGBOS at the source of the River. He became the middle man supplying ARochukwu Igbos to the Portuguese where the ARO CHUKWU long juju cult played some part. The Portuguese were only interested in slaves and so they never even settled on land. The arrival of the Dutch made things ugly for the Owuere ye Daba group . They Owuere ye Daba group then abandoned the area and moved back to their traditional home land. The same people founded settlements like Nkoro and the Obolo Ijaws. The Nkoro were some of the Koro ame whose name was dulterated to be Nkoro by the AROCHUKWU IGBOS among them .The Obolos were some of the Koro ame who decided to settle among Ibibio fishing parties. The same people met the ANDONI who they called IDONI and the ANYA APU who were the AYAMA Andonis. Many of them also settled in Okoloma settlement while the rest managed to get to Elem KALABARi that was called TORUSARAMA PIRI At Torusarama piri were different Ijaw groups who were living along wards where each wARD WAS MADE UP OF PEOPLE FROM DIFFERENT IJAW SETTLEMENTS like KE, BILLE, ABISSE, IFOKO and so on.. The Ende ame did not found Torusarama piri. They went and met other Ijaws living along wards and became part of them. So the ENDE AME met an organized settlement . The Koro ame led by Owuere ye daba brought the AMAYANABO system and the EKINE cult to the place . The SELEYE FUBARA was a priest of the EKINE cult and a member of the Koro ame. It is the same Seleye fubara that gave birth to JACK RICH whose mother was a Bille woman said to be a daughter of the Bille leader at that time.. AMAKIRI became king at the time the ENGLISH were about to start the indirect rule colonization system in the later 1600s. The same time King Perekule of Bonny was also appointed. The various clans were assigned by the English to the new kings for administartive purpose. All the clans EAST of the river KALABARI was to be under King Perekule While all the CLANS West of the river was to be under King Amakiri. In essence it was the English that established the various kingdoms of Bonny and KALABARI for administrative purpose. The refusal of Perekule to accept the demarcation led to the wars as Perekule chose to use force to take some Territories from Amakiri .

That was why all the clans like IFOKO, KE, ABISSE, KULA et all that speak the same dialect easily became under AMAKIRI while Bille refused.

You ll understand that even in BONNY kingdom, all the settlements are not of one source. The Finima were existing as Nyakpo before the Okoloma led by ALAGBARIGHA was founded by the Alagbarigha people who lived at Orupiri within the same geography.. The Orupiri people themselves may even be part of the OBU AMAFA Ijaws that had left earlier . Parts of Ancient Ifoko and Ke founded the ancient now Ibani settlements of Fibiri and Kuruama that are seen by the Ibanis as ancient historical settlements.

Amakiri came out from the Kalagbea house-hold quite , correct but the Kalagbea had taken over leadership from the Koroame because more than 60% of the Koroame had been annihilated by the Okrikas during the invasion of Old CALABARI ( Kalabari ) by the Okrikas that also resulted in the death of the King . That was what led to the end of the Owuere ye Daba dynasty of which King Awome was part of. During when the ENGLISH WANTED A LEADER FROM TORUSARAMA PRI. The Koro ame house contested believing they were the bona fide people to produce the leadership since they started it on arrival . But the Ende ame group insisted they would produce the leader and so there was a tussle and a contest supervised by the ENGLISH.. It is said Seleye Fubara was too young to represent the Koroame at that time so an elder from the Koroame house called Ogborigbo was selected . Amakiri beat him and his neck was cut off during the contest. The cutting off of Ogborigbo's head is still performed in form of a display to prove victory during the selection of a new AMAYANABO till today. But a Goat is used in place of a human being to perform the SIBI PELE ( cutting off of Ogborigbo's head ) . Amakiri was chosen and he became the new leader of the Ijaws of that axis. the ADOPTION OF KALABARI to call the entire axis was accepted by all the leaders of the various clan .

U don't have an origin...........if this is the history you were told
Re: Kalabari People! by 11Willywilly: 10:53am On Oct 14, 2014
pazienza:

This is a very poor reply,i must say.

aha
Re: Kalabari People! by shota(m): 7:54am On Oct 20, 2014
OboloMAN:

U don't have an origin...........if this is the history you were told

This is a piece of history of about 1/30 th constituents of the Kalabari Kingdom. It is part of the history of the AWOME group . There are numerous other groups like .. IGODO AME, AKIALA AME, BUKOYE AME, , KE, KULA, MINAMA, SOKU, IFOKO, EKULAMA, ANGULAMA, OPOROAMA, TOMBIA, and about 10 more others with each having their own distinct history.
Re: Kalabari People! by OboloMAN: 9:41am On Nov 21, 2014
shota:

.The Obolos were some of the Koro ame
who decided to settle among Ibibio fishing
parties. The same people met the ANDONI who
they called IDONI and the ANYA APU who were
the AYAMA Andonis.
y.

Why you try to write a revisionist history of Kalabari people , You should not do so by draging other ethnic Nationalities like Obolos(Andoni) into your quest.
Re: Kalabari People! by shota(m): 11:20pm On Nov 21, 2014
OboloMAN:

Why you try to write a revisionist history of Kalabari people , You should not do so by draging other ethnic Nationalities like Obolos(Andoni) into your quest.

Obolo is a new name. The ancient settlers of that territory were the Defaka and remnants of Defaka are the NKORO. Obolo is not an Ijaw word. It is the new word for the mixed breed of people who are mixed with Defaka, Ibibio, Igbos and Engenni . The Original natives of the place are the Defaka Ijaws like I have . Defaka Ijaws are part of the ancient people of Koro ame also known as AWO ame . The Koro ame are children of Opu Koro ye who is also found in OBOLO HISTORY..
Re: Kalabari People! by akinz4u(m): 5:37pm On Nov 22, 2014
KaLaBaRi d tribe with d biggest Bride Price!!!
Re: Kalabari People! by shota(m): 6:42am On Nov 24, 2014
akinz4u:
KaLaBaRi d tribe with d biggest Bride Price!!!

Kalabari is not a tribe.. It is a Kingdom. Kalabari people are of the IJAW tribe.
Re: Kalabari People! by MEBIyalla: 12:24am On Jan 21, 2015
I yim bere kiwi992,

Trust you are well. I have spent a lot of time reading your posts on Kalabari people and been so fascinated with your knowledge. My name is Owunaribo Iyalla and my dad is the late comptroller of Nigerian customs Maurice E. B. Iyalla. Regardless of the many issues plaguing our dear Bakana, I'm a proud member of Chief Bagshaw's house of Iyalla polo and grandson of Chief E. S. Yellowe - Indeed, a truly PROUD Kalabari man.

It is exciting to chat to you on here. Mentioning this thread to my mom, she mentioned she spoke to big Aunty Otokini last year when her mum Sisi passed. You come from greatness as well and I salute the memory of your dad the late Dr C. I Berepiki.

I live in central London and thought I'd say hello on here.

P.s, rest assured none of that political melodrama that people drum up is none of my concern. I'm just happy to meet another true Kalabari man, more so, my brother.

Stay great,

MEBIyalla
Re: Kalabari People! by nayeb: 6:09pm On Jan 28, 2015
robosky02:

i read this line above in one of the discuss

" Now the dispersal of KALABARI PROPER FROM THE OLD SHIPPING WAS DUE TO INTERNAL CRISES. It started when Chief Igbanibo rebeled against the authority of KING AMAKIRI."

thus to just start that Igbanibo rebeled against Amakiri will sound like saying Igbanibo is sturborn.
rather the truth is that

IGBANIBO as his name suggest means the agitator, the one who fights for his right
He was hair apparent to the Kingship upon which Amakoro (or Amakiri) is seating on
and was a treat to amakiri thus the plot to eliminate him.
which made him to flee by night to IWOFE were he blocked the Kalabaris from ever passing to go and by food. and later
moved over to found Bakana

There seems to be made, quite often this mistake about the name of King Igbanibo. His name was never given to him in reaction to any rule of the Amachrees over Kalabari. It would be nice if the Bakana people would not fall into the story line of the liar Amachrees. With the arrival of Odum, and his separation of the Ende-ame into three groups under the three Princes: Odum, Otaji and Owukori, the Amachrees never had any bona fides Kalabari citizens with which to form a base, and for any person to become even a bona fides Kalabari Chief the person must have a base consisting of 100 Kalabari citizens. Hence the Amachrees were never able to become Kalabari Chiefs not to talk of being Kalabari Kings.

Now onto the name of King Igbanibo, his mother was named Igbani by her father Prince Fenibo, commonly called Ofeni. He gave her the name and died even before the Amakiri nonsense started -so the name did not have its origins with respect to the Amakiris being in Kalabari. She then gave birth to a son who was then given the name Igbani bo meaning son of Igbani, a sort of trace of his royal blood to Ofeni who coined the name Igbani for his daughter.

The reasons for which King Igbanibo mounted a Blockade against the Kalabari City State and the Amakiri Enclave was because at the time of his escape from the assassination, the Edi Abali leader stole his wealth and the rest taken by the thieving Amakiris and Princewills, and he wanted his wealth returned to him. Please read the Iwo Fe War Peace Agreement.

Do try to get it right. To learn more about the reasons for the attempt to kill Igbanibo please read my book, they are well detailed there. (http://www.amazon.com/Kalabari-History-Evolution-Under-Monarchs/dp/0988996073).

For one thing Igbanibo never allowed Abbi to ever present himself as a Kalabari citizen, and as such always blocked him from undertaking any Kalabari ceremeonies. Thus stopping Abbi from ever claiming any airs about being a Kalabari King. besides Abbi knew that Igbanibo knew that he Abbi was a fraud in claiming that he fought that infamous war at Okaki when in fact the war was fought by Chief Iyalla, and Abbi knew that Igbanibo knew his (Abbi's) fraudulent parade of himself as a warrior. There are even more reasons please refer to my book.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kalabari People! by nayeb: 6:24pm On Jan 28, 2015
shota:

This is a piece of history of about 1/30 th constituents of the Kalabari Kingdom. It is part of the history of the AWOME group . There are numerous other groups like .. IGODO AME, AKIALA AME, BUKOYE AME, , KE, KULA, MINAMA, SOKU, IFOKO, EKULAMA, ANGULAMA, OPOROAMA, TOMBIA, and about 10 more others with each having their own distinct history.

It is amazing what a fool some of these people are. You would think that with so much claimed knowledge the information would be put down in a book in chronological order as I have done in mine book, but no, that does not happen because the falsehood would show up.

First of all consider the ignorance of this "shota fool", He does not seem to understand that Kalabari has dual spelling in most cases because the Kalabari language is a confluence of two languages: the Ijaw and the Bantu; and that the Bantu language is now predominant. The spelling "Igodo-ame" is the Bantu spelling when the actual spelling is "Egodo-ame" which is the Ijaw spelling and the correct spelling because that family group was Ijaw and was of the younger brother of Kalabari by the same mother and father (Uge).

This ignorance about the origin of Kalabari language of this shota fool, I also tried to explain to him earlier that "Perebo" as having the meaning "Giver" is the Ijaw spelling because he was of Ijaw origin, and that his preferred spelling of "Piribo" is Bantu spelling but the fool is still parading hisi utter ignoramus self.

Tombia as constituted when it came to join Kalabari under Kininyanabo Mangi Suku had emptied out the original residents and had become mostly the faction of the Owuerre-Daba family of Kuro-ame who had moved over there in revolt against their own family King Owuerre-Daba. So the Tombia people were not new to Kalabari.
Re: Kalabari People! by shota(m): 12:24pm On Feb 07, 2015
nayeb:

It is amazing what a fool some of these people are. You would think that with so much claimed knowledge the information would be put down in a book in chronological order as I have done in mine book, but no, that does not happen because the falsehood would show up.

First of all consider the ignorance of this "shota fool", He does not seem to understand that Kalabari has dual spelling in most cases because the Kalabari language is a confluence of two languages: the Ijaw and the Bantu; and that the Bantu language is now predominant. The spelling "Igodo-ame" is the Bantu spelling when the actual spelling is "Egodo-ame" which is the Ijaw spelling and the correct spelling because that family group was Ijaw and was of the younger brother of Kalabari by the same mother and father (Uge).

This ignorance about the origin of Kalabari language of this shota fool, I also tried to explain to him earlier that "Perebo" as having the meaning "Giver" is the Ijaw spelling because he was of Ijaw origin, and that his preferred spelling of "Piribo" is Bantu spelling but the fool is still parading hisi utter ignoramus self.

Tombia as constituted when it came to join Kalabari under Kininyanabo Mangi Suku had emptied out the original residents and had become mostly the faction of the Owuerre-Daba family of Kuro-ame who had moved over there in revolt against their own family King Owuerre-Daba. So the Tombia people were not new to Kalabari.

There is Piri ( Pere ) in Ijaw which means Give and it is different from Pere which means wealth or King Pere as wealth or King is also spelt as Peri in Kalabari . The PEREBO in question simply means PERE of.. Your problem is senselessness . BANTU is not a language group but a Race and every Southern West African tribe is of the BANTU race. IGODO is an EDO word and the IGODO ame were Edo people that lived in Torusarama piri... The Father of Perebo Kalabari ( Not a name but a title ) is a MAN from MEIN kingdom whose name was not also known... MEIN is an Ijaw clan . Perebo Kalabari's father is from OGOBIRI settlement of MEIN clan which is more than 1000 years far from UGE era.
Re: Kalabari People! by shota(m): 12:38pm On Feb 07, 2015
nayeb:

There seems to be made, quite often this mistake about the name of King Igbanibo. His name was never given to him in reaction to any rule of the Amachrees over Kalabari. It would be nice if the Bakana people would not fall into the story line of the liar Amachrees. With the arrival of Odum, and his separation of the Ende-ame into three groups under the three Princes: Odum, Otaji and Owukori, the Amachrees never had any bona fides Kalabari citizens with which to form a base, and for any person to become even a bona fides Kalabari Chief the person must have a base consisting of 100 Kalabari citizens. Hence the Amachrees were never able to become Kalabari Chiefs not to talk of being Kalabari Kings.

Now onto the name of King Igbanibo, his mother was named Igbani by her father Prince Fenibo, commonly called Ofeni. He gave her the name and died even before the Amakiri nonsense started -so the name did not have its origins with respect to the Amakiris being in Kalabari. She then gave birth to a son who was then given the name Igbani bo meaning son of Igbani, a sort of trace of his royal blood to Ofeni who coined the name Igbani for his daughter.

The reasons for which King Igbanibo mounted a Blockade against the Kalabari City State and the Amakiri Enclave was because at the time of his escape from the assassination, the Edi Abali leader stole his wealth and the rest taken by the thieving Amakiris and Princewills, and he wanted his wealth returned to him. Please read the Iwo Fe War Peace Agreement.

Do try to get it right. To learn more about the reasons for the attempt to kill Igbanibo please read my book, they are well detailed there. (http://www.amazon.com/Kalabari-History-Evolution-Under-Monarchs/dp/0988996073).

For one thing Igbanibo never allowed Abbi to ever present himself as a Kalabari citizen, and as such always blocked him from undertaking any Kalabari ceremeonies. Thus stopping Abbi from ever claiming any airs about being a Kalabari King. besides Abbi knew that Igbanibo knew that he Abbi was a fraud in claiming that he fought that infamous war at Okaki when in fact the war was fought by Chief Iyalla, and Abbi knew that Igbanibo knew his (Abbi's) fraudulent parade of himself as a warrior. There are even more reasons please refer to my book.

Just go and delete that piece of rubbish you called Kalabari history cos all the clans are coming up with their history now. The history of KE was published last year and the books are on sale. The History of KULA is in the making. History of ANGULAMA, MINAMA, IFOKO, SOKU, ABISSE are all to be made soon . These communities existed over 100s of years before the Kingdom of KALABARI was formed in the 17th century by AMAKIRI.
Re: Kalabari People! by shota(m): 12:45pm On Feb 07, 2015
MEBIyalla:
I yim bere kiwi992,

Trust you are well. I have spent a lot of time reading your posts on Kalabari people and been so fascinated with your knowledge. My name is Owunaribo Iyalla and my dad is the late comptroller of Nigerian customs Maurice E. B. Iyalla. Regardless of the many issues plaguing our dear Bakana, I'm a proud member of Chief Bagshaw's house of Iyalla polo and grandson of Chief E. S. Yellowe - Indeed, a truly PROUD Kalabari man.

It is exciting to chat to you on here. Mentioning this thread to my mom, she mentioned she spoke to big Aunty Otokini last year when her mum Sisi passed. You come from greatness as well and I salute the memory of your dad the late Dr C. I Berepiki.

I live in central London and thought I'd say hello on here.

P.s, rest assured none of that political melodrama that people drum up is none of my concern. I'm just happy to meet another true Kalabari man, more so, my brother.

Stay great,

MEBIyalla
Yall need to go back to Bakana and build that lost decaying settlement.. I still remember when I used to be the only human being sleeping at Berepiki Polo when I briefly lived in Bakana. This was because, the compound people have ran away . Today even Obuama ( Harrys town ) is more developed than BAKANA .
Re: Kalabari People! by ijawcitizen(m): 3:34pm On Feb 07, 2015
shota:

There is Piri ( Pere ) in Ijaw which means Give and it is different from Pere which means wealth or King Pere as wealth or King is also spelt as Peri in Kalabari . The PEREBO in question simply means PERE of.. Your problem is senselessness . BANTU is not a language group but a Race aand every Southern West African tribe is of the BANTU race. IGODO is an EDO word and the IGODO ame were Edo people that lived in Torusarama piri... The Father of Perebo Kalabari ( Not a name but a title ) is a MAN from MEIN kingdom whose name was not also known... MEIN is an Ijaw clan . Perebo Kalabari's father is from OGOBIRI settlement of MEIN clan which is more than 1000 years far from UGE era.

The Igodo ame people are not edos but part of the ancient ijaws (orus) who founded the Ogiso dynasty in ancient benin, the name has no meaning in bini. The largest chunk of those ijaws are within Iduwini clan today
Re: Kalabari People! by shota(m): 2:03pm On Feb 08, 2015
ijawcitizen:
The Igodo ame people are not edos but part of the ancient ijaws (orus) who founded the Ogiso dynasty in ancient benin, the name has no meaning in bini. The largest chunk of those ijaws are within Iduwini clan today

My brother Thank you for that correction.. That's what I had in mind to drop tho.. This my Gbanaye uncle I am sure does not even know what the SO mean in the name SOTONYE . I am sure he does not even know what Ogina so or Ogiso is in Kalabari .
Re: Kalabari People! by shota(m): 2:08pm On Feb 08, 2015
nayeb:

This is what KULA people wrote about themselves as part of the KALABARI kingdom...... READ IT and learn and stop making the history of your forefathers a general Kalabari kingdom history...

The origin of the people now known as Kula in the Eastern Niger Delta area dates back to many centuries ago with a long chequered history. The exact time of the movement from their remote ancestral homelands into the Eastern Niger Delta base to establish the Kula Kingdom is, however, not easy to come by for some prevalent reasons, being a pre-literate period. History has it that Kula is an amalgam of fourteen (14) ancient independent communities scattered around the present Kula territory. These include: Opu-Kula, Boro, Nangwo-ama, Kongo-ama, Kilama/Diaba/Offo, Isoma, Ingeje, Owuangaye, Ibiame, Tubo, Ariame, etc. Today, these and other satellite communities combine with the present Kula Town (Anyame-Kula) to make up the Kula Kingdom.

Oral traditions and recorded history portray the Kula people to be very old and well established for a long time in their present domain. Nembe traditions recall hostilities between Kula and Onyoma (one of the early seven settlements of Nembe) at a period in her early history before the reign of Kala-Ekule who regrouped together the remnants of the seven ancestor settlements (which were thitherto ravaged by either internal wars, plagues or external attacks) to form the nucleus of the present city-state or kingdom of Nembe.[2] The period of this ruler (King Kala-Ekule of Nembe) has been estimated to about 1400.[3] Judging from this tradition of the neighbouring Nembe Kingdom gives a relative age of Kula much earlier than 1400 CE. In a similar vein, early European records[4] reported European explorers meeting the Kula people in their present site in 1472 before moving to the New Calabar river due to some unfavourable environmental conditions (According to accounts by Dr P.Armoury-Talbot, a colonial administrator at Degema[5] ). More over, the report of the Justice G. G. Robinson's Commission of Inquiry into the Okrika-Kalabari dispute, in the then Degema Division, in 1950 maintained the fact that Kula (like Bille and Ke) was established before the arrival of the Kalabaris at the Old Shipping (Elem-Kalabari) despite being associated with the latter through administrative convenience, inter-marriage, neighbourliness etc.
Re: Kalabari People! by nayeb: 10:19pm On Feb 08, 2015
shota:

There is Piri ( Pere ) in Ijaw which means Give and it is different from Pere which means wealth or King Pere as wealth or King is also spelt as Peri in Kalabari . The PEREBO in question simply means PERE of.. Your problem is senselessness . BANTU is not a language group but a Race and every Southern West African tribe is of the BANTU race. IGODO is an EDO word and the IGODO ame were Edo people that lived in Torusarama piri... The Father of Perebo Kalabari ( Not a name but a title ) is a MAN from MEIN kingdom whose name was not also known... MEIN is an Ijaw clan . Perebo Kalabari's father is from OGOBIRI settlement of MEIN clan which is more than 1000 years far from UGE era.

The lies of this man never ceases to flow. He has become so pathetic that he no longer even knows when his lies have started to become very obvious: Consider for instance his statement as made bold above. For that statement to be true, then Ogobiri will have been formed since 100 AD but that would be before the Arabs attacked the Blacks from North Africa southwards that started the migration of the Ijaws along the West African Coast lands. The fact is at about 100 AD the Sahara Desert was still teeming with life being in some state of forest. Shame he does not even realize that he is declaring himself as a pathetic and pathological liar.
Re: Kalabari People! by nayeb: 10:26pm On Feb 08, 2015
shota:

My brother Thank you for that correction.. That's what I had in mind to drop tho.. This my Gbanaye uncle I am sure does not even know what the SO mean in the name SOTONYE . I am sure he does not even know what Ogina so or Ogiso is in Kalabari .

The shota fool continues the parade of his ignoramus self: consider that he lies about Igodo-ame being Edo people resident of Torusarama piri which is the same as Iwo Kalabari (Old Shipping) and when he is called out as a liar that the people are actually in Iduwini Clan in the Ijaw lands, then he writes thus: "My brother Thank you for that correction.. That's what I had in mind to drop tho..". Now how in Gods name does Old Shipping become Iduwini Clan locale? Other than that the man, the Shota fool, is disgracefully pathological mentally and in recognizing truths. How was it that he had it in mind to show that Old Shipping is also Iduwini Clan locale? The mental state of this man has become questionable. Really he needs help.
Re: Kalabari People! by nayeb: 10:35pm On Feb 08, 2015
shota:

Just go and delete that piece of rubbish you called Kalabari history cos all the clans are coming up with their history now. The history of KE was published last year and the books are on sale. The History of KULA is in the making. History of ANGULAMA, MINAMA, IFOKO, SOKU, ABISSE are all to be made soon . These communities existed over 100s of years before the Kingdom of KALABARI was formed in the 17th century by AMAKIRI.

This shota fool, indeed has become a disgrace to himself, as he has started to disgrace his community: Consider that he writes Soku had been in existence for 100s of years before Amakiri formed the ' kingdom of Kalabari", yet the Harry (Ombo) family has been claiming that their father Ombo founded Soku, although Amakiri was the man who bought Ombo as an Igboman slave whose towns folk were selling off because he was a murderer and Amakiri needed murderers to kill the Kalabari people and so brought Ombo to Kalabari City State. So then how was it that Ombo founded Soku 100s of years before Amakiri formed "the Kingdom of Kalabari"? Now it is becoming obvious why these wanton liars would never write their lies into a book with their names attached, less they become branded as pathological liars like that other fool, Enefaa Johnbull.
Re: Kalabari People! by pazienza(m): 10:40pm On Feb 08, 2015
Well, the word Igodo is not exclusive to Edo people. In Igbo, Igodo means Key/Padlock.

Just had to point that out.
Re: Kalabari People! by nayeb: 10:45pm On Feb 08, 2015
shota:

This is ridiculous of this mentally deprived, shota fool; he writes that Amakiri formed the "Kingdom of Kalabari" in the 17 century which would be in the 16th Hundreds, yet in 1715 -1720 Kininyanabo Igonibo, (the first son of late Mgbeye Akeamaoloye, Kininyanabo of Kalabari Union I) was ruling Kalabari as is well-documented?

Besides he has also called the Ke people liars because the Ke people whom he had been promoting in conjunction with the Kula as the truth tellers said that their King received Amakiri the fugutive in about 1735, and asked Kininyanabo Daba to protect him from his numerous crimes. So now either the Ke people are outright liars or this shota fool has become truly pathological, and must be completely disregarded as not qualifying as even a human being. He no longer even realizes when he has started to contradict himself and started to get himself tangled up in his own lies.
Re: Kalabari People! by nayeb: 10:57pm On Feb 08, 2015
shota:

This is what KULA people wrote about themselves as part of the KALABARI kingdom...... READ IT and learn and stop making the history of your forefathers a general Kalabari kingdom history...

The origin of the people now known as Kula in the Eastern Niger Delta area dates back to many centuries ago with a long chequered history. The exact time of the movement from their remote ancestral homelands into the Eastern Niger Delta base to establish the Kula Kingdom is, however, not easy to come by for some prevalent reasons, being a pre-literate period. History has it that Kula is an amalgam of fourteen (14) ancient independent communities scattered around the present Kula territory. These include: Opu-Kula, Boro, Nangwo-ama, Kongo-ama, Kilama/Diaba/Offo, Isoma, Ingeje, Owuangaye, Ibiame, Tubo, Ariame, etc. Today, these and other satellite communities combine with the present Kula Town (Anyame-Kula) to make up the Kula Kingdom.

Oral traditions and recorded history portray the Kula people to be very old and well established for a long time in their present domain. Nembe traditions recall hostilities between Kula and Onyoma (one of the early seven settlements of Nembe) at a period in her early history before the reign of Kala-Ekule who regrouped together the remnants of the seven ancestor settlements (which were thitherto ravaged by either internal wars, plagues or external attacks) to form the nucleus of the present city-state or kingdom of Nembe.[2] The period of this ruler (King Kala-Ekule of Nembe) has been estimated to about 1400.[3] Judging from this tradition of the neighbouring Nembe Kingdom gives a relative age of Kula much earlier than 1400 CE. In a similar vein, early European records[4] reported European explorers meeting the Kula people in their present site in 1472 before moving to the New Calabar river due to some unfavourable environmental conditions (According to accounts by Dr P.Armoury-Talbot, a colonial administrator at Degema[5] ). More over, the report of the Justice G. G. Robinson's Commission of Inquiry into the Okrika-Kalabari dispute, in the then Degema Division, in 1950 maintained the fact that Kula (like Bille and Ke) was established before the arrival of the Kalabaris at the Old Shipping (Elem-Kalabari) despite being associated with the latter through administrative convenience, inter-marriage, neighbourliness etc.

I am sure that the mind of this shota fool has been fried from all the drugs he has been taking. Let's face were this not so, he would have taken the time to read my book (http://www.amazon.com/Kalabari-History-Evolution-Under-Monarchs/dp/0988996073) and then shown that the information he has quoted about the Kula people contradicted anything I have written in my book about Kula and how they became part of the Kalabari Ethnic Nationality. He and the Kula people may forget that the documents attesting to that history are available; and they are in the Oxford University Library archives, and I doubt anyone wants ultimately to be called out as a liar.

Kula became Kalabari people during the reign of Kininayanbo Igonibo, and the records are there, they subordinated their monarchy to the Kalabari Kininyanabo of the Igonibo reign.

So liar ignoramus shota fool, when you come out here and contradict what I have written in the book, we shall talk again on this subject. For now your quote is meaningless nonsense.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (19) (Reply)

Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? / If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. / Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.