Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,416 members, 7,808,487 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:39 PM

Kalabari People! - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Kalabari People! (115381 Views)

Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) / Rivers Wedding (opobo N Kalabari) / Kalabari Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kalabari People! by joyblinks(f): 7:40pm On Jun 29, 2009
Complicated u said?

well dat is my name and my suppose names (if changes occur to urs)
Re: Kalabari People! by Shentz(f): 10:13pm On Jun 29, 2009
Hii everyone not a Kalabari person myself, and this may come across as ignorant but I have always wanted to know the difference between the history of both Kalabari and Calabar that if you mind me asking. I have looked it up on the internet but just want to widen my sources of information. Thanks
Re: Kalabari People! by ow11(m): 10:35pm On Jun 29, 2009
*Shentz*:

Hii everyone not a Kalabari person myself, and this may come across as ignorant but I have always wanted to know the difference between the history of both Kalabari and Calabar that if you mind me asking. I have looked it up on the internet but just want to widen my sources of information. Thanks

Ermm, In a nutshell, Kalabari people are descendants from the Izon in present day Bayelsa state. Calabar is a city in CrossRiver state that is home to the Efiks and I don't know anything about their history but I do know there is no common ancestry in the history.

www.kalabari-dictionary.org and www.ijawdictionary.com can also aid your searches.
Re: Kalabari People! by joyblinks(f): 12:36am On Jun 30, 2009
@*Shentz*. like most people say, you want to know if kalabari migrated from calabar.

lol.
i get it Kalabari
calabar with a difference of K and I

i beg where Kiwi dey oh. make you come xplain to her
Re: Kalabari People! by seunnowell: 7:36am On Jun 30, 2009
*Shentz*:

there is really no common history but i did read some where how the confusion came about in the names. the confusion if i am correct is for the mispronunciation by the Portuguese. it is a long write up and it is on my facebook but i can't give u the link on my fb, if i do i will have to kill ya grin grin grin
Re: Kalabari People! by seunnowell: 7:37am On Jun 30, 2009
joyblinks:

Complicated u said?

well dat is my name and my suppose names (if changes occur to urs)

well the name is mike tyson tongue tongue tongue
Re: Kalabari People! by joyblinks(f): 10:29am On Jun 30, 2009
if u re mike tyson

then i am Lekiha Spicer.
Re: Kalabari People! by seunnowell: 5:28pm On Jun 30, 2009
joyblinks:

if u re mike tyson

then i am Lekiha Spicer.

i am the Amayanabo cool cool cool
Re: Kalabari People! by ow11(m): 7:50pm On Jun 30, 2009
As narrated by an erudite Kalabari Historian:
* Mr. Daboikiabo Jack ©

IZON (Ijo or Ijaw) gave birth to: Mein, Tarakiri & Oporoza
MEIN gave birth to: Ugo (Ogo or Pere-kor 1 of Ogobiri)
UGO gave birth to: Perebo-kala-bari (King Kalabari)
                            [Founder and Ancestor]

In the first place, the name 'kalabari' is taken from the second part of the name of the founder and first ancestor of the Kalabari people, King Perebo-kalabari. From the sketch above, it is clear that Perebo-kalabari was the son of Ugo the son of Mein, the son of Izon (Ijo or Ijaw). Perebo-kalabari the first son of Ugo lived in Ogobiri.

He became the monarch after the death of his father. He had a wife from Isoko who was accused of witchcraft. He had to escape with her to a far town to avoid her death. While in this new place of refuge, he became very  wealthy and famous which led to envy by the people there. He then decided to migrate further,in search of his brother Kengema, to somewhere near the present Emohua (called Amafo by the Kalabaris). When he arrived there, Kengema had left the place.

Nevertheless, he decided to settle there with his people, hence the place became known as "Kengemabe Kalabari". While here, Perebo-kalabari was joined by his brother and cousin, Owoume and Igodo respectively. Thus, three of them became the first 3 chiefs of the place with Perebo-kalabari as the paramount and so, the first king of Kalabari. In the course of time, Perebo-kalabari died and was buried in Obu Amafo (back of Emuoha) which was now "Kengemabe Kalabari".

Following his death, Owoume became the second King instead of Prince Ende the first son of Perebo-kalabari. During the reign of King Owoume, the Kalabaris had some ritual assasination problems with their close neigbhours. This led to revenge and fighting. Once again, the Kalabaris had to leave for a safer place. They came to the place known today as Elem Kalabari (Old Shipping). For them, it was Iwo Kalabari. Later, King Owoume also died and his son Opu-koroye became the third King of Kalabari. It should be pointed out that Prince Ende, the first son of Perebo-kalabari died while King Owoume was still reigning. From King Opu-koroye to the civil war in 1879, thirteen (13) kings reigned with King Amakiri (Amachree I) becoming the most powerful and most popular of all the Kings of Kalabari. It was after the civil war in 1881 that the three major Kalabari towns - Abonnema, Bakana and Buguma dispersed to their present sites.

Past Kings of this great Kingdom

1.  King Perebo-kala-bari 
    (Kalabari)        
2. King Owoume
3. King Opu-koroye
4. King Owuere-ye Daba
5. King Igbessa
     (alias Igbo-ye Owibo)
6. King Kamalo
    (alias King Robert)
7. King Mangiye Suku
    (Duke Monmouth)
8. King Igonibo
9. King Ngbesa
10. King Omuye
11. King Bokoye
12. King Daba
13. King Kalagbea
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Modern Kings (from 1669)

♦ King Amakiri (Amachree) 1                          1669 ~ 1757
♦ King Amakoro Tyger Amachree II                  1757 ~ 1782
♦ King Karibo Amachree III                          1782 ~ 1863
♦ HM King Abbi Karibo Amachree IV                  1863 ~ 1900
♦ HM King Kieni Charles Amachree V          1900 ~ 1917
♦ HM King W. Princewill Amachree VI          1919 ~ 1927
♦ HM King J. T. Princweill Amachree VII          1927 ~ 1960
♦ HM King F. T.Princewill Amachree VIII          1960 ~ 1973
♦ HM King Cotton Charles Amachree IX          1973 ~ 1975
♦ HM King Obaye Abbiye-Suku Amachree X 1977 ~ 1998
♦ HM King (Prof) T.J. T Princewill Amachree XI 2002 ~    ?

culled from www.kalabari-dictionary.org
Re: Kalabari People! by joyblinks(f): 5:01am On Jul 01, 2009
@seunnowell

i am Amayanabo taa.
Re: Kalabari People! by seunnowell: 6:06am On Jul 01, 2009
joyblinks:

@seunnowell

i am Amayanabo taa.

i am 2face lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Kalabari People! by joyblinks(f): 8:08am On Jul 01, 2009
2face.

in this case, i think i have many names but i will chosse
Ann Macauley.
Re: Kalabari People! by seunnowell: 6:49pm On Jul 01, 2009
joyblinks:

2face.

in this case, i think i have many names but i will chosse
Ann Macauley.

LMFAO! grin grin grin grin

I am Larry King cool cool cool
Re: Kalabari People! by aje49ja(m): 5:52am On Jul 02, 2009
i am Ajeminayanate Lawson from Buguma/ Tema

Iyaminapo are U'na Sim oh

1 Like

Re: Kalabari People! by joyblinks(f): 6:46pm On Jul 02, 2009
@aje.

imbre, torbra mor?

@seunnowell

depends on the Larry King you are sha. 9JA or Foreign
Re: Kalabari People! by kiwi992(m): 9:35pm On Jul 02, 2009
Iya Minapu,

Ari omine sim. 

Omine bu gbege ibi wurari?  Nde ama sime bara?  Anam mine ama ofiri lama wurari.  Anie me miete ibiongbo si ari, ene goye goye. 

I yeri be, bekina apu ama bu anga me i furo bin te!  Mbo gbo suma jen ama anga weni-i to ene baka laba?  Ibite sisi, ibite.  Tiye paka?  Ama bo itari lama ari kuma ibala fa ri, gbalaburo dein ama bu ofori, omu me go te.  Tamuno pa bara sua wa mine se me piri.

Iyeri be, ene goye goye a Tamuno teke-ari mine se opa dein ke wamine ama me bu su, gbalaburo mi pulo me, opu bere anie ani ke bo wapiri ari!  Pulo me gbala gboye bara - ani miete dein bari wa mine se me bu ofori.  Tamuno pa wamine tomi te omu mu wurari be apu me boma.  O nangwo dumo na ibi sibi bio na ke ina piri.  Ina biongbo kuro.  O duku te gboru siye so ina lama ma, Amen.     

Joy, i bem mine abo dugo omine piri wa mine Kalabari na apu ke Mboko na apu na kiri bara.  I yeri so i koko nimi wurari mine wa mine Kalabari na apu nji anie wa pei a beye.  Mboko na apu obiri anie ini pei a beye.

Tamuno pa wamine Kengema Kalabari me boma, o piki wamine se me so boma.  O dein na sime, iya minapu.

kiwi992.

NB:
Ow11- that was a good posting but I really doubt it very much as to the accuracy of some of the facts, especially, the bits about our Ijaw ancestry.  Sorry!

Kalabari be apu Ijaw na apu-a nde!  Tamuno so duku ma.  Buru te a bekin anie wamine mgba ke Ijo bu su ye.
Re: Kalabari People! by ow11(m): 11:14pm On Jul 02, 2009
@Kiwi

Iyimbre Ari siim. . .

I got it off that website and have heard this story from my uncle (although not like this). Pastor Dawari Braide owns that website and is a very popular Kalabari historian and publicist in PH. He also sells Kalabari-English dictionaries through some bookshops at Town market.

I think that is the story King TJT Princewill also carries but I do not think it is fixed and will like to think there's more to it especially why Igbo people say we are actually Igbos that settled in RV state.
Re: Kalabari People! by seunnowell: 12:28am On Jul 03, 2009
ow11:

@Kiwi

Iyimbre Ari siim. . .

I got it off that website and have heard this story from my uncle (although not like this). Pastor Dawari Braide owns that website and is a very popular Kalabari historian and publicist in PH. He also sells Kalabari-English dictionaries through some bookshops at Town market.

I think that is the story King TJT Princewill also carries but I do not think it is fixed and will like to think there's more to it especially why Igbo people say we are actually Igbos that settled in RV state.

I strongly disagree with the whole idea that we have any link to the Igbo race
Re: Kalabari People! by Ezeagu2: 1:15am On Jul 03, 2009
Some Igbo people have the surname Nwaubani (Nwa-Ubani = Child/son of Ubani) some have straight up Ubani,

seunnowell:

I strongly disagree with the whole idea that we have any link to the Igbo race

Who has no link to the 'Igbo race'? It better not be any of those coastal communities your talking about or I'll kolo.
Re: Kalabari People! by seunnowell: 7:32am On Jul 03, 2009
Ezeágu:

Some Igbo people have the surname Nwaubani (Nwa-Ubani = Child/son of Ubani) some have straight up Ubani,

Who has no link to the 'Igbo race'? It better not be any of those coastal communities your talking about or I'll kolo.

yes, i am talking abt my heritage, kalabari and we sure live by the coast
Re: Kalabari People! by Ezeagu2: 1:56pm On Jul 03, 2009
seunnowell:

yes, i am talking abt my heritage, kalabari and we sure live by the coast

How on God's earth would Kalabari have NO link with the 'Igbo race' when all the women that birthed you guys are mostly igbo?

http://books.google.com/books?id=y5e7WI-eM1QC&pg=PA167&dq=Kalabari+igbo

The Igbo and Kalabari Ijo people have a long history of trade exchange carried
out through the creeks of the Niger Delta.

from: http://books.google.com/books?id=5_G3r3ANaZMC&pg=PA73&dq=Kalabari+igbo
Re: Kalabari People! by ow11(m): 2:19pm On Jul 03, 2009
@Ezeagu

Good links there. . . .

Yes many Kalabari men marry Igbo women but not all kalabari people have Igbo mothers. You are also right about both communities having been trade partners in the past. The Igbo traditional men's shirt with different animal heads for example came to Igbo land through trade.
Re: Kalabari People! by kiwi992(m): 3:26pm On Jul 03, 2009
Ezeagu

Isn't it so typical of you Ibos - having to claim all things and everything!  Oh yeah, claim this, claim that. 

What on earth makes you think we have any connection with you guys, other than the evil attrocities committed by you lot against us during the Biafran war.  Remember what you buggers did to Bakana during the civil war?  You bloody evacuated the whole town, thereby causing the deaths of thousands of our townsfolk.  How dare you? 

You guys had tried to woefully lay a claim to the Ikwerre's, then the Ibanis, Opobos, Okirikas.  Now it's the turn of the Kalabaris.  Soon, it would be the Ijaws, Edos, Yorubas and so on.  You initially said:

You got the reply that you wanted, confirming that we, the Kalabaris are a coastal people and therefore have no connection with you lot.  Now you come back, contradicting yourself by saying:

How on God's earth would Kalabari have NO link with the 'Igbo race' when ALL the women that birthed you guys are mostly igbo?

You know what?  Your argument is flawed as there is no basis whatsoever, to your claims.  That doesn't mean, mind, that Kalabari MEN never inter-married with the Ibos IN THE OLDEN DAYS.  Indeed, a handful (yes, a handful) of them actually did but this was never the norm for you to make such a sweeping statement. 

Why wouldn't they?  Aren't the Ibos human beings?  You are, afterall, our upland neighbours and I can't see anything wrong with any Kalabari guy or gal marrying an Ibo.  What I don't take to, kindly, is when you make such blanket statements as quoted above.

Here's a bit of Kalabari custom and tradition for you:

If a Kalabari guy went out and married an Ibo woman in the olden days, the woman, on arrival in her husband's hometown, gets initiated into Kalabari society during a traditional ceremony attended by the chiefs and elders of the compound of her husband's family.  She gets given a Kalabari name and foresakes her Ibo heritage.  She then becomes a Kalabari woman per se, a house is built for her in her husband's compound, she also learns our culture and tradition, including how to speak the language, amongst others. 

In view of this ceremony, she severs all ties with her erstwhile Ibo family and never, ever, goes back there until her dying day.  She never gets addressed as an Ibo woman either 'cos that would be contrary to our culture and tradition.  She herself would NEVER say she is of Ibo origin, proud to be a Kalabari woman.  Her offsprings could never be classed as having an Ibo heritage either.  Never, because that would not be deemed a sensible thing to say and would bring down the wrath of the elders on the one that makes such callous statement because it is indeed, contrary to Kalabari customs and tradition.

So, there!  Be careful what you say next time.

kiwi992.
Re: Kalabari People! by Ezeagu2: 4:20pm On Jul 03, 2009
kiwi992:

Ezeagu

Isn't it so typical of you Ibos - having to claim all things and everything!  Oh yeah, claim this, claim that. 

What on earth makes you think we have any connection with you guys, other than the evil attrocities committed by you lot against us during the Biafran war.  Remember what you buggers did to Bakana during the civil war?  You bloody evacuated the whole town, thereby causing the deaths of thousands of our townsfolk.  How dare you? 

You guys had tried to woefully lay a claim to the Ikwerre's, then the Ibanis, Opobos, Okirikas.  Now it's the turn of the Kalabaris.  Soon, it would be the Ijaws, Edos, Yorubas and so on.  You initially said:

You got the reply that you wanted, confirming that we, the Kalabaris are a coastal people and therefore have no connection with you lot.  Now you come back, contradicting yourself by saying:

You know what?  Your argument is flawed as there is no basis whatsoever, to your claims.  That doesn't mean, mind, that Kalabari MEN never inter-married with the Ibos IN THE OLDEN DAYS.  Indeed, a handful (yes, a handful) of them actually did but this was never the norm for you to make such a sweeping statement. 

Why wouldn't they?  Aren't the Ibos human beings?  You are, afterall, our upland neighbours and I can't see anything wrong with any Kalabari guy or gal marrying an Ibo.  What I don't take to, kindly, is when you make such blanket statements as quoted above.

Here's a bit of Kalabari custom and tradition for you:

If a Kalabari guy went out and married an Ibo woman in the olden days, the woman, on arrival in her husband's hometown, gets initiated into Kalabari society during a traditional ceremony attended by the chiefs and elders of the compound of her husband's family.  She gets given a Kalabari name and foresakes her Ibo heritage.  She then becomes a Kalabari woman per se, a house is built for her in her husband's compound, she also learns our culture and tradition, including how to speak the language, amongst others. 

In view of this ceremony, she severs all ties with her erstwhile Ibo family and never, ever, goes back there until her dying day.  She never gets addressed as an Ibo woman either 'cos that would be contrary to our culture and tradition.  She herself would NEVER say she is of Ibo origin, proud to be a Kalabari woman.  Her offsprings could never be classed as having an Ibo heritage either.  Never, because that would not be deemed a sensible thing to say and would bring down the wrath of the elders on the one that makes such callous statement because it is indeed, contrary to Kalabari customs and tradition.

So, there!  Be careful what you say next time.

kiwi992.

Excuse me, but

1. do we not share secret societies?

2. If the Kalabari people do a DNA test will it not trace back by a significant amount to the Igbo people, regardless of the Igbo women's allegiance to the Kalabari when married because of culture?

3. Are our homelands not in a close proximity?

4. How different are our cultures (taking into account the huge differences that are already in the man subgroups of the Igbo)?

If there was intermarrying (which equals links with genes), inter-trading, same secret societies for goodness sakes how then is there no link between us.

*btw I'm not claiming, an Ngwa man is an Ngwa man, an Enugu man is an Enugu man so there can't look at us as one homogenous nation trying to impose our homogenous culture on everyone, because were not
Re: Kalabari People! by seunnowell: 7:40am On Jul 04, 2009
Ezeágu:

Excuse me, but

1. do we not share secret societies?

2. If the Kalabari people do a DNA test will it not trace back by a significant amount to the Igbo people, regardless of the Igbo women's allegiance to the Kalabari when married because of culture?

3. Are our homelands not in a close proximity?

4. How different are our cultures (taking into account the huge differences that are already in the man subgroups of the Igbo)?

If there was intermarrying (which equals links with genes), inter-trading, same secret societies for goodness sakes how then is there no link between us.

*btw I'm not claiming, an Ngwa man is an Ngwa man, an Enugu man is an Enugu man so there can't look at us as one homogenous nation trying to impose our homogenous culture on everyone, because were not

dude i understand u how important it is 4 u to zip us into the igbo culture but i say thanks but no thanks, i am not igbo, never was, never will be. [size=16pt]I AM A VERY PROUD KALABARI MAN, TRUE BREED! [/size] cool cool
Re: Kalabari People! by Ezeagu2: 12:35pm On Jul 04, 2009
seunnowell:

dude i understand u how important it is 4 u to zip us into the igbo culture but i say thanks but no thanks, i am not igbo, never was, never will be. [size=16pt]I AM A VERY PROUD KALABARI MAN, TRUE BREED! [/size] cool cool

Can you read, or was there another thread where I said Kalabari people are Igbo? How special are you that I would want to zip you into Igbo culture?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kalabari People! by seunnowell: 8:26pm On Jul 04, 2009
Ezeágu:

Can you read, or was there another thread where I said Kalabari people are Igbo? How special are you that I would want to zip you into Igbo culture?

oh, very special and yes unlike u, I can read and comprehend
Re: Kalabari People! by ezeagu(m): 9:20pm On Jul 04, 2009
seunnowell:

oh, very special and yes unlike u, I can read and comprehend

grin Seunnowell, its not thats serious, but how can Kalabari people have no links with Igbo people?
Re: Kalabari People! by seunnowell: 2:22am On Jul 05, 2009
ezeagu:

grin Seunnowell, its not thats serious, but how can Kalabari people have no links with Igbo people?

the very same way igbo ppl dont have links with yorubas
Re: Kalabari People! by ezeagu(m): 8:11pm On Jul 05, 2009
seunnowell:

the very same way igbo ppl dont have links with yorubas

That makes no sense at all because we have linguistic ties with them, talk less of people in our backyard (no offence). PLus it was not our women that gave birth to all their kids.  smiley But I'll leave this thread for Kalabari people.
Re: Kalabari People! by seunnowell: 9:18pm On Jul 05, 2009
ezeagu:

That makes no sense at all because we have linguistic ties with them, talk less of people in our backyard (no offence). PLus it was not our women that gave birth to all their kids.  smiley But I'll leave this thread for Kalabari people.

we appreciate the fact that u will leave the thread for kalabari ppl, i am such there is an igbo thread some where begging for attention.
Re: Kalabari People! by na2day2(m): 11:53pm On Jul 05, 2009
those kalabari wannabes, it will cost u

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? / If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. / Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.