Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,455 members, 7,781,313 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:17 PM

Kalabari People! - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Kalabari People! (114579 Views)

Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) / Rivers Wedding (opobo N Kalabari) / Kalabari Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kalabari People! by AndreUweh(m): 10:30am On Sep 22, 2012
I love the Kalabari culture. Can any one nice here educate us about the Kalabari women fattening culture.

1 Like

Re: Kalabari People! by aljharem(m): 12:46pm On Sep 22, 2012
ijaw citizen: LOL..... I LAUGH IN KALABARI! NOW YOU'RE SOUNDING LIKE MY KID BROTHER. HE SAID " I DON'T LIKE FISH BUT I LIKE SARDINE!". BROS ANDRE UWEH, ABEG HOW OLD ARE YOU?

Are you minding the iddeeiot. the dude is a ret.ard grin grin grin grin
Re: Kalabari People! by ijawcitizen(m): 6:28pm On Sep 22, 2012
Re: Kalabari People! by Obiagu1(m): 12:56am On Jan 16
kiwi992:
4. It amazes me, when people don't know that:
a) Kalabaris are NOT Ijaws.
Jene jene, gboru Kalabari be furo tu bo so, be bia mine,
mbo Ijaw na bo. Omine te ama ogono bu anga ari be
apu ma, mie me onimi gbe wurari.
There's no true Kalabari out there that would ever say that
he or she is an Ijaw. NEVER!! You go to Buguma,
Abonnema, Bakana, Tombia, Degema, Obuama, Bile, Ke,
Kula, Old Bakana, Bukuma, and so on, and people would
tell you that Kalabaris are most definitely NOT Ijaws. We
only got bundled together with the Ijaws as belonging to
the same tribe, by the clue-less European colonialists.
What's with this Ijaw agenda? Our neighbours - the
Okirikas, Ikwerres and Ibos, even know that Kalabaris are
not Ijaws.
You Chameleons, you hide under Ijaw ethnic group to attack,
accuse, abuse and insult the Igbos yet you're here claiming
Kalabari is not Ijaw.
If Nigeria ever disintegrates, Western Ijaw, Kalabari and Okrika
will be in one country, Ijawland, that's my wish and let you
guys use treachery kill each other.

MR KIWI, HOW DO YOU FEEL WHEN A NON-IJAW KNOWS MORE ABOUT IJAW THAN YOU. IT IS A SHAME THAT AN IGBO PERSON FOR THAT MATTER (MOST OF WHOM SPREAD MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT IJAWS) WOULD BE CORRECTING YOU.

WELL, I'M SURE YOU ARE ONE OF THESE KALABARIS WHOSE BLOOD HAS BEEN CONTAMINATED BY IGBOS, NOW ITS AFFECTING YOUR REASONING AND UR ENTIRE BRAIN.

IF YOU DONT LIKE UR KALABARI-IJAW NATURE, I SUGGEST YOU GO AND JOIN UR IGBO RELATIVES AND LEAVE IJAWLAND ALONE. WHAT IS EVEN UR PROBLEM?

ARE YOU MORE KALABARI THAN ASARI DOKUBO, ANN-KIO BRIGGS, ALABO MASHALL HARRY, CHIEF HORSFALL, ALABO GRAHAM DOUGLAS AND OTHER KALABARIS?
Re: Kalabari People! by Abagworo(m): 7:18pm On Sep 22, 2012
ijaw citizen:

MR KIWI, HOW DO YOU FEEL WHEN A NON-IJAW KNOWS MORE ABOUT IJAW THAN YOU. IT IS A SHAME THAT AN IGBO PERSON FOR THAT MATTER (MOST OF WHOM SPREAD MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT IJAWS) WOULD BE CORRECTING YOU.

WELL, I'M SURE YOU ARE ONE OF THESE KALABARIS WHOSE BLOOD HAS BEEN CONTAMINATED BY IGBOS, NOW ITS AFFECTING YOUR REASONING AND UR ENTIRE BRAIN.

IF YOU DONT LIKE UR KALABARI-IJAW NATURE, I SUGGEST YOU GO AND JOIN UR IGBO RELATIVES AND LEAVE IJAWLAND ALONE. WHAT IS EVEN UR PROBLEM?

ARE YOU MORE KALABARI THAN ASARI DOKUBO, ANN-KIO BRIGGS, ALABO MASHALL HARRY, CHIEF HORSFALL, ALABO GRAHAM DOUGLAS AND OTHER KALABARIS?

The problem I have with people like you and Killayut is double standard. In Rivers State Ijaw is not recognized as an ethnic group if you know what I mean. The only people recognized as Igbo are Oyigbo, Etche and Egbema. In the broad sense of it there are however Igbo and Ijaw groups that have evolved into ethnic groups of their own and Kalabari is one of them. They might belong to INC just like Ogba and Ikwerre belong to Ohaneze but their ethnic independence remains intact. Rivers State was created in such a way as to have many minority groups with equal opportunities but what you and killayut are doing is trying to amalgamate all the Ijoid groups and terming them Ijaw while claiming that the Igboid groups are not Igbo. In Rivers State we know Okrika, Kalabari, Ikwerre, Andonni, Bonny, Degema, Engenni, Ekpeye, Abua etc as distinct ethnic groups and not as clans of another ethnic group.

The Nigerian constitution and even world ethnologue report recognizes them all as distinct. If you observe my contributions on the Ikwerre/Igbo thread, I made it clear that I was not arguing about their ethnic status but I was trying to correct some lies drafted by enemies of Ikwerre to make them rootless. They are definitely Igbo rooted in every sense of it but have attained ethnic recognition after a fully planned strategy during the civil war.

1 Like

Re: Kalabari People! by ijawcitizen(m): 8:52pm On Sep 22, 2012
Abagworo:

The problem I have with people like you and Killayut is double standard. In Rivers State Ijaw is not recognized as an ethnic group if you know what I mean. The only people recognized as Igbo are Oyigbo, Etche and Egbema. In the broad sense of it there are however Igbo and Ijaw groups that have evolved into ethnic groups of their own and Kalabari is one of them. They might belong to INC just like Ogba and Ikwerre belong to Ohaneze but their ethnic independence remains intact. Rivers State was created in such a way as to have many minority groups with equal opportunities but what you and killayut are doing is trying to amalgamate all the Ijoid groups and terming them Ijaw while claiming that the Igboid groups are not Igbo. In Rivers State we know Okrika, Kalabari, Ikwerre, Andonni, Bonny, Degema, Engenni, Ekpeye, Abua etc as distinct ethnic groups and not as clans of another ethnic group.

The Nigerian constitution and even world ethnologue report recognizes them all as distinct. If you observe my contributions on the Ikwerre/Igbo thread, I made it clear that I was not arguing about their ethnic status but I was trying to correct some lies drafted by enemies of Ikwerre to make them rootless. They are definitely Igbo rooted in every sense of it but have attained ethnic recognition after a fully planned strategy during the civil war.

Mr Abagworo, kalabari, okrika, ibani and other ijoid groups are not independent tribes on their own. The only reason why they still cling to their clannish identities is because of bloody wars they have fought in the past. They all know themselves as being of the same Ijaw stock and different from all others (Igbo, Efik, Urhobos etc). As such, despite the difference their dialects, they are still mutually intelligible (some to some extent).

I'd advice you to stay clear of Ijaw business as none of it should concern or bother you in the first place. Let the kalabaris, okrikas, andonnis, ibani etc who think they are not Ijaws be the ones to challenge me, not an outsider like you. What is even ur problem, I just can't imagine myself going to an Igbo thread to talk stupid things like the way you're doing here.
Re: Kalabari People! by Abagworo(m): 10:10pm On Sep 22, 2012
ijaw citizen:

I'd advice you to stay clear of Ijaw business as none of it should concern or bother you in the first place. Let the kalabaris, okrikas, andonnis, ibani etc who think they are not Ijaws be the ones to challenge me, not an outsider like you. What is even ur problem, I just can't imagine myself going to an Igbo thread to talk stupid things like the way you're doing here.

This is a Kalabari thread and not Ijaw thread.

I would have been here just to learn more about Kalabari people and I have the right to as an Igbo and a Nigerian just like you do as an Ijaw and a Nigerian.

2 Likes

Re: Kalabari People! by ijawcitizen(m): 12:28am On Sep 23, 2012
Abagworo:

I would have been here just to learn more about Kalabari people and I have the right to as an Igbo and a Nigerian just like you do as an Ijaw and a Nigerian.
DOES UR DISPOSITION SO FAR PORTRAY THAT YOU'RE HERE TO LEARN WHEN YOU'VE BEEN SPREADING LIES AND MANUFACTURED HISTORIES ABOUT IJAWS IN OTHER THREADS?

NOW THAT YOU NOW KNOW THAT THEY ARE EQUALLY IJAWS AGAINST WHAT YOU EXPECTED, OYA USE SHAME COMOT FOR HERE. I'M NOT SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU WANT OR WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR, SO I'M GONNA ASK YOU JUST ONE TIME; WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM THE IJAWS?
Re: Kalabari People! by Abagworo(m): 1:23am On Sep 23, 2012
ijaw citizen: DOES UR DISPOSITION SO FAR PORTRAY THAT YOU'RE HERE TO LEARN WHEN YOU'VE BEEN SPREADING LIES AND MANUFACTURED HISTORIES ABOUT IJAWS IN OTHER THREADS?

NOW THAT YOU NOW KNOW THAT THEY ARE EQUALLY IJAWS AGAINST WHAT YOU EXPECTED, OYA USE SHAME COMOT FOR HERE. I'M NOT SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU WANT OR WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR, SO I'M GONNA ASK YOU JUST ONE TIME; WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM THE IJAWS?

I'm not the one to say who they are but when Killayut entered this thread to deviate it, he was cautioned by a reputable Kalabari man not to call Kalabari, Ijaw. He committed a lot of fallacies that he was corrected by Kalabarians. I'm not interested in that any way because we all have our issues. Where I had problem with your claims is when you differentiate various Igbo groups and amalgamate different Ijaw groups(Kalabari, Okrika and Bonny) as well as non-Ijaw groups like Degema, Abua, Engenni and Andonni to claim majority in Rivers State. You and I know that Ikwerre is majority in Rivers State today. I only corrected those wrong notions and nothing more.

1 Like

Re: Kalabari People! by ijawcitizen(m): 9:29am On Sep 23, 2012
Mr Abagworo, kalabari, okrika, ibani and other ijoid groups
are not independent tribes on their own. The only reason
why they still cling to their clannish identities is because of
bloody wars they have fought in the past. They all know
themselves as being of the same Ijaw stock and different
from all others (Igbo, Efik, Urhobos etc). As such, despite
the difference their dialects, they are still mutually
intelligible (some to some extent).
Re: Kalabari People! by ijawcitizen(m): 11:07am On Oct 18, 2012
Where are all the Ijaw haters?
Re: Kalabari People! by ijawcitizen(m): 4:47pm On Oct 18, 2012
WHERE IS EVERYBODY?
Re: Kalabari People! by Nobody: 6:02pm On Dec 07, 2012
Abagworo:

ABAGWORO... YOU do not learn. You are just one typical Nigerian who do not learn. There is nothing like Ijaw without the Ijaw clans and KALABARI is one of the Ijaw clans. Before the name KALABARI was infact adopted there were settlements like KULA, KE, MINAMA, OPOROAMA , IDAMA, SOKU , ABISSA, ANGULAAMA, ABALAMA , KRAKRAMA , SANGAMA , IFOKO, KENGEMA AND THE PEOPLE OF THESE SETTLEMENTS ARE 100% IJAW . KALABARI was another settlement founded by fishermen from the mentioned places including others that came from Yenagoa, Kolokuma and Oruma ( Oruama) and BILLE and the initial name of the fishing port was callled NAMA SIBI or ORUSARAMA PIRI which first settler was one female spiritist named IKPAKIABA claimed to have come from BILLE. Another prominent group that came from a trading post near Emohua which is called OBU AMA led by the ancestors of MEIN who was an Ijaw man from Kolokuma who had a son named PERE-BO- KALABARI gave the name KALABARI to the fishing settlement . The adoption of the name KALABARI was during the era of KING AMAKIRI. KING AMAKIRI thereafter sought to unite all the Ijaw clans of the area under one rule which was the first TRUE KINGDOM making in the NIGER DELTA. The rise of that became the KALABARI KINGDOM. Unfortunately there were not much unity cos the various Group leaders of the people could not agree on many things. That disagreement led to splinter kingdoms LIKE BONNY,OPOBO,BAKANA, BILLE. KALABARI is just a political name and the people are 100% IJAWS...

PLEASE stop arguing about what you do not know. The Igbos of KALABARI, BONNY, OPOBO AND OKRIKA were adopted FREED IGBO SLAVES formerly owned by the merchant CHIEFS of the IJAWS.

Thank you..

1 Like

Re: Kalabari People! by Nobody: 6:23pm On Dec 07, 2012
ijaw citizen: Re: Kalabari People! by Obiagu1(m): 12:56am On Jan 16
kiwi992:
4. It amazes me, when people don't know that:
a) Kalabaris are NOT Ijaws.
Jene jene, gboru Kalabari be furo tu bo so, be bia mine,
mbo Ijaw na bo. Omine te ama ogono bu anga ari be
apu ma, mie me onimi gbe wurari.
There's no true Kalabari out there that would ever say that
he or she is an Ijaw. NEVER!! You go to Buguma,
Abonnema, Bakana, Tombia, Degema, Obuama, Bile, Ke,
Kula, Old Bakana, Bukuma, and so on, and people would
tell you that Kalabaris are most definitely NOT Ijaws. We
only got bundled together with the Ijaws as belonging to
the same tribe, by the clue-less European colonialists.
What's with this Ijaw agenda? Our neighbours - the
Okirikas, Ikwerres and Ibos, even know that Kalabaris are
not Ijaws.
You Chameleons, you hide under Ijaw ethnic group to attack,
accuse, abuse and insult the Igbos yet you're here claiming
Kalabari is not Ijaw.
If Nigeria ever disintegrates, Western Ijaw, Kalabari and Okrika
will be in one country, Ijawland, that's my wish and let you
guys use treachery kill each other.

I BEG.. NO MIND OBIAGU or what ever his name is.. he typed KALABARI dialect and does not see that he typed Typical Ijaw cos of his ignorance... jene jene he typed is actually JEN ENE, JEN ENE and that is pure Ijaw JEN means another while ENE means day.. JEN ENE means another day.. and that is the same statement in OKRIKA, IBANI, AND EVEN KOLOKUMA, NEMBE AND OTHER IJAW CLANS..

gboru Kalabari be furo tu bo.. IS 100% IJAW again his ignorant does not make him know that.. GBORU is actually GBORI ORU.. GBORI MEANS one unit while ORU means orderliness or sanity GBORI ORU OR GBORU then means one unity or oneness.. The GBORI is an adulterated form of the word GBERIYE which means one. GBERIYE is used by the elderly Kalabari SPEAKERS... furo is also an Ijaw word meaning FAMILY and can be used to mean BELLY . TU BO is also pure IJAW meaning person.. In Ijaw the word IZON OTU means IJAW person.. OTU-BO means person and in KALABARI otu-bo BECAME TU-BO for short..

be bia mine,mbo Ijaw na bo... This is pure Ijaw also... Be bia is a wrong way of putting it. The person was trying to say.. WILL NOT SAY.. say in Ijaw is actually.. Gba me or gba ipiri.. MEH was adulterated to be BEH in KALABARI and so GBA MEH BECAME gba beh.. beh is wrong..therefore will not say SHOULD BE meh bia.. Now BIA which means will not is a negation and negation in EASTERN IJAW and Ijaw proper is AGHA and not IA. EG. ALAMIEYESIGHA would be ALAMIEYESIA in KALABARI. the right way is agha.. and so WILL NOT SAY should be MEH BEGHA ( to be pronounced as MEH BE-Ah ) but meh is not used these days and so BEH -BE-AH ) is used and it is IJAW.

I can go on and correct all the anomalies there but there is no need. It is KALABARI dialect of the IJAW LANGUAGE.. just adulterated in a way.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Kalabari People! by Nobody: 6:37pm On Dec 07, 2012
Andre Uweh: I love the Kalabari culture. Can any one nice here educate us about the Kalabari women fattening culture.

The practice is called IRIA -BO SUO or IRIA-BO SO.. and it is not just a KALABARI practice but an IJAW practice mainly of the EASTERN IJAWS From Nembe, BILLE, OKRIKA, IBANI, and even ANDONI.. Being big in our race is considered beauty cos our women do not get big uselessely. They get big with nice figure shape and the fat make them look plumpy and very sexy which we call BETE BETE. There are different types of this tradition. The first is when a young girl becomes of age. At 16 to 18 The girl will be made an Iria and this type of IRIA ceremony DOES NOT REQUIRE THE GIRL TO BE hidden and over fed. But the beauty of the young girl and her maturity would be shown to the world for young men to see shes of age and ready to marry . And so her people must make sure shes well fed and looking FRESHLY BEAUTIFUL Which we call YORI-YORI.. This is the word now made popular in Nigeria by a music group.. The other stage of IRIA is when a woman gives birth. She will be placed in a confined place and well taken cared of and after a while brought to show the world again of how beautiful she is even after child birth. In essence IRIA is to show case the beauty of the woman to the world which is to the glory of her family and delight of Young men. The female fattening done in CALABAR town was by the very original natives of CALABAR who were IJAWS and not Efiks and it was those IJAWS who were KALABARI Ijaws that was documented by the PORTUGUESE as CALABAR ( NOTE, IN Portuguese there is no KA but CA and a BAR word is pronounced as BARI or BAREE..)

Thanks.
Re: Kalabari People! by NRIPRIEST(m): 3:07pm On Dec 10, 2012
Buuullsh..it..When Yaradua got sick and was flown abroad for treatment and Jonathan isn't even aware of what's going and the northern cabals led by Aadonaka the chief justice seized the power and relegated Jonathan to the back door it was an Igbo woman Dora Akunyili that fought the north and moved a motion for Jonathan to be installed as the interim President. She received insult from the north for fighting for your toothless kinsmen and you dare insult Igbo after all the support and block votes we gave to your son Let me tell you nonentities something;Ijaw is a toddler when it comes to political tussle...Rejoice while you can...the Igbo are your superiors and will always be...Your treachery will be addressed with due time....let's see how far you go...fuuucking charcoal looking shoeless fedora wearing drunkards....cultureless bastards...I see you lots feel like its time for you to open your ogogoro mouth to speak to your superiors....with two million population let see what becomes of your future...Remember we are right there on top of you..eediots!

2 Likes

Re: Kalabari People! by AndreUweh(m): 3:35pm On Dec 10, 2012
NRI PRIEST: Buuullsh..it..When Yaradua got sick and was flown abroad for treatment and Jonathan isn't even aware of what's going and the northern cabals led by Aadonaka the chief justice seized the power and relegated Jonathan to the back door it was an Igbo woman Dora Akunyili that fought the north and moved a motion for Jonathan to be installed as the interim President. She received insult from the north for fighting for your toothless kinsmen and you dare insult Igbo after all the support and block votes we gave to your son Let me tell you nonentities something;Ijaw is a toddler when it comes to political tussle...Rejoice while you can...the Igbo are your superiors and will always be...Your treachery will be addressed with due time....let's see how far you go...fuuucking charcoal looking shoeless fedora wearing drunkards....cultureless bastards...I see you lots feel like its time for you to open your ogogoro mouth to speak to your superiors....with two million population let see what becomes of your future...Remember we are right there on top of you..eediots!
Nwannem, take it easy Biko.
Re: Kalabari People! by Sealeddeal(m): 1:57pm On Dec 11, 2012
If what i see and read here from some Ijaws are really the mind of an average Ijaw man,then lets see what Nigeria hold for us.By the time we are through,everybody will count his loss.
Re: Kalabari People! by Sealeddeal(m): 2:03pm On Dec 11, 2012
NRI PRIEST: Buuullsh..it..When Yaradua got sick and was flown abroad for treatment and Jonathan isn't even aware of what's going and the northern cabals led by Aadonaka the chief justice seized the power and relegated Jonathan to the back door it was an Igbo woman Dora Akunyili that fought the north and moved a motion for Jonathan to be installed as the interim President. She received insult from the north for fighting for your toothless kinsmen and you dare insult Igbo after all the support and block votes we gave to your son Let me tell you nonentities something;Ijaw is a toddler when it comes to political tussle...Rejoice while you can...the Igbo are your superiors and will always be...Your treachery will be addressed with due time....let's see how far you go...fuuucking charcoal looking shoeless fedora wearing drunkards....cultureless bastards...I see you lots feel like its time for you to open your ogogoro mouth to speak to your superiors....with two million population let see what becomes of your future...Remember we are right there on top of you..eediots!
....what makes them feel funky is Oil. And if not for God,a mere endorsement of offshore/onshore dichotomy from Igbos in favour of north's argument will be very effective to colonise them and push them to the wall.we have what it takes to cripple Ijaws.well,i do not wish to believe tha Ijaws are Igbos' haters.
Re: Kalabari People! by ijawcitizen(m): 7:29pm On Dec 12, 2012
YOU CALL YOURSELVES ZIONIST, YET YOU'RE ALL WORST THAN THE NAZIS- ALWAYS SEEING YOURSELVES AS A SUPERIOR RACE OVER THE IJAWS.
WHAT CAN I CALL THIS? SELF AGGRANDIZEMENT DISORDER OR ACUTE MEGALOMANIA?
LOOK AT THESE IGBO MEN ATTEMPTING TO DO WHAT HITLER CANNOT ACHIEVE EVEN WITH ALL HIS TECHNOLOGY.

FOR UR INFORMATION, THE IJAW NATION HAS ALREADY MADE THE CALCULATION THAT IF THERE IS A BREAKDOWN OF GOVERNMENT IS THIS COUNTRY, IT ALREADY AN OPEN SECRET THAT THE IGBOS WOULD ATTEMPT TO ANNEX IJAWLAND. FIGURE OUT THE REST YOURSELVES, STUPID AFRO-NAZIS
Re: Kalabari People! by Sealeddeal(m): 7:50pm On Dec 12, 2012
ijaw citizen: YOU CALL YOURSELVES ZIONIST, YET YOU'RE ALL WORST THAN THE NAZIS- ALWAYS SEEING YOURSELVES AS A SUPERIOR RACE OVER THE IJAWS.
WHAT CAN I CALL THIS? SELF AGGRANDIZEMENT DISORDER OR ACUTE MEGALOMANIA?
LOOK AT THESE IGBO MEN ATTEMPTING TO DO WHAT HITLER CANNOT ACHIEVE EVEN WITH ALL HIS TECHNOLOGY.

FOR UR INFORMATION, THE IJAW NATION HAS ALREADY MADE THE CALCULATION THAT IF THERE IS A BREAKDOWN OF GOVERNMENT IS THIS COUNTRY, IT ALREADY AN OPEN SECRET THAT THE IGBOS WOULD ATTEMPT TO ANNEX IJAWLAND. FIGURE OUT THE REST YOURSELVES, STUPID AFRO-NAZIS
Nigeria is indivisible.So,you should stop thinking of what Igbos will do if Nigeria breaks.You should be thinking of how to work with one of the major ethnic groups in nigeria.Ijaws and Igbos have common haters. So,both need to unite.
Re: Kalabari People! by pazienza(m): 8:31pm On Dec 12, 2012
Is Nigeria really indivisible? History disagrees,nigeria is as divisible as they come.

1 Like

Re: Kalabari People! by Abagworo(m): 8:33pm On Dec 12, 2012
killayut:

The practice is called IRIA -BO SUO or IRIA-BO SO.. and it is not just a KALABARI practice but an IJAW practice mainly of the EASTERN IJAWS From Nembe, BILLE, OKRIKA, IBANI, and even ANDONI.. Being big in our race is considered beauty cos our women do not get big uselessely. They get big with nice figure shape and the fat make them look plumpy and very sexy which we call BETE BETE. There are different types of this tradition. The first is when a young girl becomes of age. At 16 to 18 The girl will be made an Iria and this type of IRIA ceremony DOES NOT REQUIRE THE GIRL TO BE hidden and over fed. But the beauty of the young girl and her maturity would be shown to the world for young men to see shes of age and ready to marry . And so her people must make sure shes well fed and looking FRESHLY BEAUTIFUL Which we call YORI-YORI.. This is the word now made popular in Nigeria by a music group.. The other stage of IRIA is when a woman gives birth. She will be placed in a confined place and well taken cared of and after a while brought to show the world again of how beautiful she is even after child birth. In essence IRIA is to show case the beauty of the woman to the world which is to the glory of her family and delight of Young men. The female fattening done in CALABAR town was by the very original natives of CALABAR who were IJAWS and not Efiks and it was those IJAWS who were KALABARI Ijaws that was documented by the PORTUGUESE as CALABAR ( NOTE, IN Portuguese there is no KA but CA and a BAR word is pronounced as BARI or BAREE..)

Thanks.

While your write up sounds interesting, it is full of controversy like alleging that Calabar was Ijaw. I live in Port Harcourt and have many Kalabari friends but you seem to contradict their. Own view. I believe you are not Kalabari anyway. I urge Kalabaris to come in here and give us a more accurate account of this culture which by the way is shared among Igbo, Efik/Ibibio, Ijaw and most other groups in the Southeastern part of Nigeria.
Re: Kalabari People! by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jan 04, 2013
Abagworo:

While your write up sounds interesting, it is full of controversy like alleging that Calabar was Ijaw. I live in Port Harcourt and have many Kalabari friends but you seem to contradict their. Own view. I believe you are not Kalabari anyway. I urge Kalabaris to come in here and give us a more accurate account of this culture which by the way is shared among Igbo, Efik/Ibibio, Ijaw and most other groups in the Southeastern part of Nigeria.

There is no controversy about that. It is just a piece of history that you have not heard before. Many KALABARIS do not also know about this just as Efiks or Ibibios do not know. Research bring to light many hidden facts and this is one light that is shining now. Calabar as a name was a Portuguese documentation . It was KALABARI that was spelt and Documented as CALABAR BUT PRONOUNCED as KALABAH by the Dutch and then the British.. The Portuguese how ever pronounced it rightly as CALABAREE.. At that time it was not necessarily a town but just a fishing settlement of the KORO AME Ijaws who were descendants of PEREBO KALABARI the son of MEIN OWEI WHO CAME from KOLOKUMA and Opokuma area.The people referred to themselves as KALABARI AWOME meaning children of KALABARI and was documented as CALABAR people by the Portuguese which was still pronounced as CALABAREE people by the Portuguese. They controlled the modern day river Calabar AND MET THE AROCHUKWU Igbos at the mouth of the River. In KALABARI oral history it is strongly said that Efik and Ibibio who they referred to as MBOKO people were their neighbours . The KALABARI in question here are the members of who are known today as Owuere daba Family and mainly in Abonnema and BAKANA. The rest of the KALABARI think these group came from CALABAR town and as such were Efiks. It is a wrong notion cos they were actually some of the children of KALABARI who drifted to settle at the rio real which is the shore from Calabar TOWN to Bakassi peninsula. When the Dutch came in the 17th century around 1650 and kicked the Portuguese away. The people suffered a great deal since the Dutch were almost trying to relocate them to Guyana and Surinam. At this time the population has become a mixture with a few Arochukwu Igbos who were brought by the people as they paddled the river Calabar BACK AND FORTH as middle men taking people from the ARO long Juju shrine to the Portuguese ship in the ocean. Resistance against Dutch brutality was what led to the people abandoning the area and moving back to join their kits and kins in the modern Kalabari AREA WERE SCORES of Perebo descendants were living as well. It was in the reign of King Owuere daba who was a direct descendant of Opu Koroye a grand child of Perebo KALABARI. As they left the area ,the Dutch occupied and settled in the area and maintained the name Calabar which they now pronounce KALABA ( CALABA ) in Dutch accent. At this time the Efik were direct nighbours of the place living at near by settlements like ATAKPA and others. In that same 17th century the British came and kicked out the Dutch. It was in this British era the Efiks now directly traded with the British since the Ijaws ( Kalabaris ) have already left. The name CALABAR became firmly known as CALABA ( kalaba ) instead of the normal CALABAREE ( kalabari ) pronunciation. It was then a purely European town. In about 1680s The Efiks decided to Move their Obong from ATAKPA which the British called Duke town to CALABAR near the European neighbourhood. The Efiks then started to move in gradually and eventually settled there . The only traces of the Ijaws were scattered settlements by the ocean which became mixture of the Kalabari Ijaws and the AROCHUKWU slaves. This mixture over years involved some neighbouring Efiks and Ibibios too and the over all mixture of the Ijaws, Arochukwu and Efik. Ibibio resulted in to the OBOLO tribe who still claim to be Ijaws. Nkoro town is the major Obolo town which is in the Rivers side today. many other Obolo towns are in Akwa Ibom. This is a WELL researched confirmed history and every evidence is clearly revealing.. In GUYANA, It has been found that the bulk of the Black slaves were Ijaws and their dialect became the Berbice CREOLE which was a KALABARI Ijaw dialect base Ijaw / dutch mixture. In calabar TOWN TODAY there are still Pure Ijaw tradition like the female FATTENING which in KALABARI /BONNY AND OKRIKA is known as IRIA . It is an obvious practice of remnant Ijaws who never left the place that eventually have fused in to be Efiks or Ibibios. The Efiks till tomorrow do not know the meaning of CALABAR and how the town was founded. They only claim it was founded by the Portuguese. The EFIK IBIBIOS agreed to have moved their Obong from ATAKPA to Calabar just about that time the KALABARIS moved away.. When the British came KALABARI was called NEW CALABAR obviously because of the similarity of the name. Till today if you tell any European you are a KALABARI what they hear is KALABAH . There is no K in portuguese alphabet so it should be understanble to why the PORTUGUESE spelt KALABARI as CALABAR and since R consonant is always pronounced in their accent CALABAR would be pronounced as CALABAREE..The Efik neighbors of the KALABARI were forbidden to be married cos they were the people often caught to sacrifice to the water spirit ( ORU). If it is a strong believe that Efik Ibibio were KALABARI neighbours , WHERE then are they in the modern KALABARI land or territory ? They are not any where near to be KALABARI neighbours today so KALABARI must have been some where near the Efik / Ibibio land or territory and that was CALABAR town of Today.KALABARI even claimed to be neighbours of the AROCHUKU who they call just SUKU people and would always go to the Long Juju to consult the Oracle for any problem. Arochukwu is not anywhere near KALABARI of today . And so this was only possible when KALABARI was at the river CALABAR estuary of today.

1 Like

Re: Kalabari People! by Nobody: 5:31pm On Jan 04, 2013
Abagworo:

Do not also forget that A modern day KALABARI man could be Igbo or Ijaw and so an Igbo KALABARI man would always say a wrong history of KALABARI. The Igbos were adopted and their adoption never made the Ijaw land of KALABARI any Igbo or make the original Ijaw KALABARI man any Igbo. majority of the adopted Igbos were also loyal to their adopted families.
Re: Kalabari People! by kiwi992(m): 11:40pm On Feb 03, 2013
TO:

ALL THE KALABARIS, OKRIKAS AND IKWERRES

Hi All,

I need your advice.

I have spirits in my house and would be most grateful if you guys could possibly advice me on what to do, inorder to get rid of them. This has been going on for quite a while but it's beginning to get worse, as they've started tapping on my windows, kitchen door, banging on the stairs, noise inside the loft, and so on. The radiators in the house make a loud banging noise whenever the central heating comes on early in the mornings or evenings - it never used to be like this. I've even bled the radiators, just in case there's air in them.

A few years ago, they even whistled in my ear whilst I was listening to music on my mobile phone. It was a wolf whistle - just like you whistle, if you fancied a girl. The normal occurrence now is that whenever I go to play chess online, they whistle through the speakers in my laptop, as if to acknowledge me, so, out of courtesy to them, I also whistle back. Like I said, this occurs whenever I go to play chess online, for example, today. This in itself does not upset me, 'cos I feel they are trying to be friendly or something.

However, what's beginning to get me upset is the fact that they've started tapping on my doors and windows, banging on the staircase, occasionally clattering the dishes in the kitchen and things like that, even in the daytime. Really hard to believe but that's just the way it is. One thing though, I'm never ever, scared of them 'cos I've never harmed anybody in my life, so have no reason to be scared.

Sometimes, they stop the banging for a bit, when I speak to them in Kalabari, so there might be some connection there, I don't know - just speculating. Other times, when the banging gets too much, I just burst out in anger and swear at them or challenge them to come out in human form and face me, but they never manifest themselves, so, I call them cowards, bone heads, restless spirits, attention seekers or whatever. I've even asked them as to what they wanted from me, yet no response. I've also threathened to bind their spirits - as they do in Kalabari, by calling out the one's name and nailing it to a tree, if you know who it is. I think it's called 'dwein toru fina'

In saying that, at the time that we lived at home as kids, there used to be a very powerful prayer house in our town. It was called Bakana Prayer House, and located in Iyalla's Compound. I don't know if it's still there but the medium that ran it at the time was called Ine but she passed away. People used to come from all over Nigeria to attend the prayer house inorder to make contact with their loved ones that had departed this Earth. It was a part of the Christ Army Church. Had it been she were alive, this problem would have been solved a very, very long time ago 'cos she would have most definitely told me who they are and why they are in my house.

I don't know if you guys would be kind enough as to offer me some sound advice on what to do to get rid of them, as it's starting to get me down. Possibly checking out Bakana Prayer House for me, if it's still there. Looks like I'm running out of all the available options - including reading the Lord's Prayers (Bible), Ayatul Kursi (the most powerful verse in the Koran to get rid of jin's (spirits)), and so on. They get quiet for a bit and start all over again. I'm just bloody fed up!

Thanks.

kiwi992.
Re: Kalabari People! by Abagworo(m): 8:24am On Feb 04, 2013
killayut:

Do not also forget that A modern day KALABARI man could be Igbo or Ijaw and so an Igbo KALABARI man would always say a wrong history of KALABARI. The Igbos were adopted and their adoption never made the Ijaw land of KALABARI any Igbo or make the original Ijaw KALABARI man any Igbo. majority of the adopted Igbos were also loyal to their adopted families.

Kalabari people of today just like Igbos and Ibibios etc. include almost every ethnic group around either by marriage or absorption because we all intermarry a lot.If you know your history very well then you should know that the Sukus or Aros established markets at Akpo which many tribes traded in different goods including slaves and guns. Kalabaris were trading with Igbos at Akpo which today is Choba, Ozuoba, Aluu(Uniport) axis and if you make a careful observation, you can notice the mix of Igbo and Kalabari settlements in that area.

In my hometon of Oguta, we have a place called Kalabari beach and Aro quaters where they also traded.

On a side note, I've observed that you are too aggressive, tribalistic and lack diplomacy and that is why I sometimes regret sharing some precious knowledge with you. If your grandparents are alive, ask them what I just wrote above.
Re: Kalabari People! by ijawcitizen(m): 9:24am On Feb 04, 2013
Abagworo:

Kalabari people of today just like Igbos and Ibibios etc. include almost every ethnic group around either by marriage or absorption because we all intermarry a lot.If you know your history very well then you should know that the Sukus or Aros established markets at Akpo which many tribes traded in different goods including slaves and guns. Kalabaris were trading with Igbos at Akpo which today is Choba, Ozuoba, Aluu(Uniport) axis and if you make a careful observation, you can notice the mix of Igbo and Kalabari settlements in that area.

In my hometon of Oguta, we have a place called Kalabari beach and Aro quaters where they also traded.

On a side note, I've observed that you are too aggressive, tribalistic and lack diplomacy and that is why I sometimes regret sharing some precious knowledge with you. If your grandparents are alive, ask them what I just wrote above.

MR ABAGWORO
I THINK YOUR MAJOR PROBLEM IS THAT YOU LACK THE MOST PRELIMINARY KNOWLEDGE AND COMPREHENSION OF THE DYNAMICS OF PEOPLES & CULTURES ALONG THE BOUNDARIES OF DIFFERENT ETHNIC GROUPS.

BEFORE YOUR DESCRIBE IJAW MAINLAND AS "MIXED WITH IGBOS" PLS DO SOME "REAL", NOT "VERBAL" INVESTIGATION OF NDOKI, NDONI, UKWANNI(NDOKWA), EGBEMA(IMO & RIVERS) AND EVEN OTHER IGBO GROUPS IN RIVERS STATE THAT HAVE ADOPTED ASPECTS OF IJAW CULTURE LIKE MODE OF DRESSING & MASQUERADES.

FYI -IJAWLAND DO NOT HAVE A "DIRECT" BOUNDARY WITH IGBOS. OUR NEIGHBOURS IN AKWA IBOM @ANDONNI(OBOLO) TERRITORY ARE THE EFIK & IBIBIOS. @BONNY/OPOBO -IBIBIO & OGONI GROUPS
@OKRIKA KINGDOM -IKWERRE & OGONI
@KALABARI -IKWERRE, NDONI,EGBEMA, AHOADA
@ABUA/ODUA -IKWERRE, NDONI, EGBEMA, AHOADA
@OGBIA & ENGENNI -AHOADA & EKPEYE
@NORTHERN BAYELSA -AHOADA, NDOKWA(UKWANNI) & NDONI
@PATANI -NDOKWA, ISOKO & URHOBO
@BOMADI -URHOBO
@BURUTU -URHOBO
@WARRI -URHOBO & ITSEKIRI
@EDO IJAWS -BINIS & Itsekiri
@ONDO IJAWS -ILAJE & IKALES (YORUBA)

ALL OF THESE GROUPS YOU CLAIM AS IGBOS ABOVE, THEY CLAIMED EITHER NOT HAVE ANY ANCESTRY FROM IGBO, MIGRATED FROM ELSEWHERE OR ARE HIGHLY MIXED WITH IJAWS AND IGBOS.

ANYTHING BEYOND THOSE LINE IS AS GOOD AS FULLY INTEGRATED INTO EITHER IJAW OR IGBO. UNLESS YOU WANT TO INSIST THAT THERE WERE NO MIGRATION FROM IJAW INTO IGBO MAINLAND.

HAVE A NICE DAY!
Re: Kalabari People! by Nobody: 9:33pm On Feb 07, 2013
kiwi992: TO:

ALL THE KALABARIS, OKRIKAS AND IKWERRES

Hi All,

I need your advice.

I have spirits in my house and would be most grateful if you guys could possibly advice me on what to do, inorder to get rid of them. This has been going on for quite a while but it's beginning to get worse, as they've started tapping on my windows, kitchen door, banging on the stairs, noise inside the loft, and so on. The radiators in the house make a loud banging noise whenever the central heating comes on early in the mornings or evenings - it never used to be like this. I've even bled the radiators, just in case there's air in them.

A few years ago, they even whistled in my ear whilst I was listening to music on my mobile phone. It was a wolf whistle - just like you whistle, if you fancied a girl. The normal occurrence now is that whenever I go to play chess online, they whistle through the speakers in my laptop, as if to acknowledge me, so, out of courtesy to them, I also whistle back. Like I said, this occurs whenever I go to play chess online, for example, today. This in itself does not upset me, 'cos I feel they are trying to be friendly or something.

However, what's beginning to get me upset is the fact that they've started tapping on my doors and windows, banging on the staircase, occasionally clattering the dishes in the kitchen and things like that, even in the daytime. Really hard to believe but that's just the way it is. One thing though, I'm never ever, scared of them 'cos I've never harmed anybody in my life, so have no reason to be scared.

Sometimes, they stop the banging for a bit, when I speak to them in Kalabari, so there might be some connection there, I don't know - just speculating. Other times, when the banging gets too much, I just burst out in anger and swear at them or challenge them to come out in human form and face me, but they never manifest themselves, so, I call them cowards, bone heads, restless spirits, attention seekers or whatever. I've even asked them as to what they wanted from me, yet no response. I've also threathened to bind their spirits - as they do in Kalabari, by calling out the one's name and nailing it to a tree, if you know who it is. I think it's called 'dwein toru fina'

In saying that, at the time that we lived at home as kids, there used to be a very powerful prayer house in our town. It was called Bakana Prayer House, and located in Iyalla's Compound. I don't know if it's still there but the medium that ran it at the time was called Ine but she passed away. People used to come from all over Nigeria to attend the prayer house inorder to make contact with their loved ones that had departed this Earth. It was a part of the Christ Army Church. Had it been she were alive, this problem would have been solved a very, very long time ago 'cos she would have most definitely told me who they are and why they are in my house.

I don't know if you guys would be kind enough as to offer me some sound advice on what to do to get rid of them, as it's starting to get me down. Possibly checking out Bakana Prayer House for me, if it's still there. Looks like I'm running out of all the available options - including reading the Lord's Prayers (Bible), Ayatul Kursi (the most powerful verse in the Koran to get rid of jin's (spirits)), and so on. They get quiet for a bit and start all over again. I'm just bloody fed up!

Thanks.

kiwi992.

LOL.. This is superstition . Back in the days what moved people in those KALABARI shrine was the booze ( kai kai ) and the song ( gyration ). It was that intoxication and possession which in KALABARI they call DJOODJOO ( JOOJOO ) that came to be JUJU. To conjure Juju is to make a person be in that state of trance. Now when is in that state , Kalabari PEOPLE SIMPLY SAY O joojoo te which means he is confused, in trance or possessed . INE was not the name of that spirit. In KALABARI INE is used to call a respectable woman and it is derived from IGBO. Many KALABARI water deity are feminine and so INE is used to call them . The spirit of deity has a proper name anyways. I know in IYALLA compound they have the AKU and the AKU shrine is by the water bank near the Churh in Iyalla compound. There are how ever lots of other shrine and another one is right behind the POLO square by the right when going towards the River bank.. Go and see a doctor if you are hearing any kind of voice or sound. It means your ear drum needs to be corrected. And as per all those banging stuffs, they are imagination. I hope you are not single and boozing a lot.
Re: Kalabari People! by Nobody: 9:41pm On Feb 07, 2013
Abagworo:

Kalabari people of those days never called those people as IGBOS. The Igbos were called OSU-AMA people while the IKWERES OUR PEOPLE TRADED with were simply termed humans while the places you mentioned were markets. It was even claimed that those markets were founded by the KALABARI COS IT WAS THE KALABARI people that brought their goods to the place and actually lived there while the Ikweres would bring their farm goods to the places. for instance OGBOGORO would be deep inside the forest while the market would be at the river bank with the Kalabari people living at the river banks or simply anchored there waiting for buyers and sellers to arrive. Human beings and other goods were sold and the buyers were mainly the KALABARI people. WHILE KALABARI controlled the OGBOGOR,CHOBA, ALUU axis of the river, The Bonny people controlled the Imo river .

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (19) (Reply)

Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures / Botha's Speech 1985 (a Must Read!) / Video Of Oluwo Of Iwo Rolling Weed Released By Chanel Chin, His Ex Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 160
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.