Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,465 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:22 PM

Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People (2210 Views)

Seperate Yourself From Religious Bondage Today. The Right Way! / Why Do Atheists Shift The Burden Of Proof? / Why Do Atheists Attack Mostly Christians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by lilcutie8916(m): 1:41pm On Jan 15, 2015
I was once a christian, a devout one at that, but right now I can't people that I have doubts towards god talk more of not believing in him. The very moment I tell someone I am an atheist I get that look of disgust and they immediately get offended. Yet christians still claim to suffer persecution, well maybe in a parallel universe. So my question is why can't they just let us be.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by Blakjewelry(m): 1:50pm On Jan 15, 2015
Because the world fears what it does not understand

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by Ploy(m): 2:24pm On Jan 15, 2015
lilcutie8916:
I was once a christian, a devout one at that, but right now I can't people that I have doubts towards god talk more of not believing in him. The very moment I tell someone I am an atheist I get that look of disgust and they immediately get offended. Yet christians still claim to suffer persecution, well maybe in a parallel universe. So my question is why can't they just let us be.

because atheism is also a religion of those that are too proud to reference the being above.

My friend, a man can never be empty, you either have God in you or the devil. No matter what, God is God.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by Ploy(m): 2:26pm On Jan 15, 2015
lilcutie8916:

Take it or leave it, there is God. I will like you to read this book: Beyond The Gate of Death. It was written by an atheist.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by sinequanon: 2:34pm On Jan 15, 2015
lilcutie8916:

When you were a devout Christian, did you look in disgust at non-Christians? Were you aware that some of your fellow Christians were looking in disgust at non-Christians?

Now that you are non-Christian, do you look in disgust at what Christians are doing, at their intolerance? Do you look in disgust at anybody else?

The point of these questions is to suggest that, maybe, you actually know from experience the answer to your own question.

I also have an anecdote.

A friend of mine, a quiet girl whom I have mentioned on another thread, had surprising acerbic wit. Unexpectedly, her "razor tongue" would just come out and she would lambaste somebody's appearance or behaviour. One day, she came in to work with a new hair-do. I must have said something wrong, because she suddenly looked at me, as if she had left her purse on a park bench, and rushed out of the room. She returned ten minutes later with her hair redone to its previous style. That is when I realized just how sensitive she was to other people's comments. (Mine wasn't even intended to be critical.)

People who sneer at other people are most afraid of being sneered at.

The more you are able to live and let live, the less concerned you will be about those who don't.
Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by davien(m): 2:49pm On Jan 15, 2015
lilcutie8916:
Bigotry is common in religion because of the emotional attachment to the affirmation that you "know the truth"....I wasn't bad to non-christians....I argued with atheists often too.....till I became one,and now i'm not in a position to accept something that demotes human lives.. smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jan 15, 2015
You make me laugh....
Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by An2elect2(f): 3:05pm On Jan 15, 2015
1.Well, i think people fear associating with foolz.
2. It(atheism) doesn't sit well with their conscience.

They are right. Its only a matter of time for you and others to see that they are right.
Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by davien(m): 3:19pm On Jan 15, 2015
An2elect2:
1.Well, i think people fear associating with foolz.
2. It(atheism) doesn't sit well with their conscience.

They are right. Its only a matter of time for you and others to see that they are right.
This is a good case study...
Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by undercat: 3:27pm On Jan 15, 2015
The reason they can't let you be is that you're an atheist, genius.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by lilcutie8916(m): 4:02pm On Jan 15, 2015
Ploy:

Take it or leave it, there is God. I will like you to read this book: Beyond The Gate of Death. It was written by an atheist.
And u thing this book will make me change my point of view? u are not answering the question and don't go quoting the bible
Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by lilcutie8916(m): 4:03pm On Jan 15, 2015
striktlymi:
You make me laugh....
in what way please
Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by UyiIredia(m): 4:10pm On Jan 15, 2015
I think lilcutie8916 should answer sinequanon's questions. How would you have viewed atheists when you were a Christian ? Maybe that would put things in perspective.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by lilcutie8916(m): 4:20pm On Jan 15, 2015
I have never had any preference of people based on religious grounds. That is why it pains me this much
Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by Ploy(m): 4:30pm On Jan 15, 2015
lilcutie8916:
And u thing this book will make me change my point of view? u are not answering the question and don't go quoting the bible

Ok, you are facing persecution because you reference yourself, your ego and your vanity than the supreme being. There is an infinite power governing the world.
Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by lilcutie8916(m): 4:41pm On Jan 15, 2015
Ploy:

Ok, you are facing persecution because you reference yourself, your ego and your vanity than the supreme being. There is an infinite power governing the world.
let me teach u your bible hebrew 12:14 follow peace with all men mathew 5:5 blessed are the meek bro I am sure this is the doctrine u claim to leave by so why can't u just pretend at least to live by it
Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by sinequanon: 5:55pm On Jan 15, 2015
lilcutie8916:
I have never had any preference of people based on religious grounds. That is why it pains me this much

When you were a devout Christian, did you think that non-Christians were hell bound?
Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by Ploy(m): 10:12pm On Jan 15, 2015
lilcutie8916:
let me teach u your bible hebrew 12:14 follow peace with all men mathew 5:5 blessed are the meek bro I am sure this is the doctrine u claim to leave by so why can't u just pretend at least to live by it

For your eye, you be confirm atheist abi? De there, Mr Bible.

Religions and faith have crossed centuries, cultures and civilizations unchanged. It is only the truth that can endure that long, you can deny it but who cares? You are responsible for your decisions....

I hope you see the light before it is too late. Peace
Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by lolaxavier(m): 10:28pm On Jan 15, 2015
Ploy:

because atheism is also a religion of those that are too proud to reference the being above.

My friend, a man can never be empty, you either have God in you or the devil. No matter what, God is God.

Your point is not in anyway proven, hence it remains invalid.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by UyiIredia(m): 11:45pm On Jan 15, 2015
lilcutie8916:

Well, you might have to avoid it except when necessary. The next best thing I would say is to ignore such reactions; its more likely you'll receive more of it, Nigerians are very religious.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by omoiseselagba: 6:31am On Jan 17, 2015
Ploy:

religious bigot.your brain needs servicing.
Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by Ploy(m): 1:36pm On Jan 17, 2015
omoiseselagba:
religious bigot.your brain needs servicing.

Thank you brain mechanic
Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jan 17, 2015
lilcutie8916:

Why do atheists always lump all religions together?
Now see what you made me do. You made me click on a post that has nothing to do with me.
Change your title please.
Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by EvilBrain1(m): 3:28pm On Jan 17, 2015
The reason most religious people behave like bigots is because theyve been brainwashed into thinking those who dont share their faith are morally deficient and not to be trusted. Its religions way of shielding its members from hearing contrasting ideas that can undermine the brainwashing. Make the sheep afraid of talking to outsiders so they never learn that there is life outside the farm.

The best way to combat this is to be a kind and decent person whiile living openly as an atheist. Let them see for themselves that it is perfectly possible to be good without god. If people people like and admire you, it will be hard for them to justify mistreating you to themselves. Ive even had religious people jumping to my defense when their coreligionists start prejudging me.

And the greedy scumbag pastors, mass-murdering muslims and redemption camp going politicians will help you drive home the point every single day. Homosexuals in America were able to overcome all the lies and bigotry against them in a single generation just by coming out of the closet and showing everyone around them that they were a huge community of mostly decent people. If they could do it, I dont see why we cant.

Whenever your neighbours and co-workers go to church or mosque, and the head wizard starts ranting about how evil all the godless people are, let them think of you and wonder.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by Redlyn: 10:47pm On Jan 17, 2015
EvilBrain1:
The reason most religious people behave like bigots is because theyve been brainwashed into thinking those who dont share their faith are morally deficient and not to be trusted. Its religions way of shielding its members from hearing contrasting ideas that can undermine the brainwashing. Make the sheep afraid of talking to outsiders so they never learn that there is life outside the farm.

The best way to combat this is to be a kind and decent person whiile living openly as an atheist. Let them see for themselves that it is perfectly possible to be good without god. If people people like and admire you, it will be hard for them to justify mistreating you to themselves. Ive even had religious people jumping to my defense when their coreligionists start prejudging me.

And the greedy scumbag pastors, mass-murdering muslims and redemption camp going politicians will help you drive home the point every single day. Homosexuals in America were able to overcome all the lies and bigotry against them in a single generation just by coming out of the closet and showing everyone around them that they were a huge community of mostly decent people. If they could do it, I dont see why we cant.

Whenever your neighbours and co-workers go to church or mosque, and the head wizard starts ranting about how evil all the godless people are, let them think of you and wonder.

Amen bro
Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by Redlyn: 10:47pm On Jan 17, 2015
For the most party they are closed minded and brainwashed souls living in a bubble of delusion.
Since they need the bible or another holy book to tell them right from wrong they are afraid of people who have a moral code without reading their list of dos and don't dos. So for them either you follow a religion or you are bound to be somehow evil. They cant comprehend the concept of secular humanism.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by Horus(m): 11:24pm On Jan 17, 2015
If you do not believe as a Christian does, you are called crazy. I have debated with Christians many times in an open forum and all of their reasoning is the same; you are a cult if you believe outside of the bible. Thus, I use the bible as proof when debating with Christians. I show them what is written right in their bible in the languages they were originally revealed and they still can’t handle the facts. I have said it before and I will say it again, the bible is nothing more than an ancient soap opera. It is filled with hate, death, murder, prostitution, suicide and lust. Look at the many contradictions, errors and non-sense stories that are written in the bible, if you are a Christian, you will realize that you are the crazy person for believing in it, living by it and dying for it.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by lilcutie8916(m): 12:38pm On Jan 18, 2015
Horus:
If you do not believe as a Christian does, you are called crazy. I have debated with Christians many times in an open forum and all of their reasoning is the same; you are a cult if you believe outside of the bible. Thus, I use the bible as proof when debating with Christians. I show them what is written right in their bible in the languages they were originally revealed and they still can’t handle the facts. I have said it before and I will say it again, the bible is nothing more than an ancient soap opera. It is filled with hate, death, murder, prostitution, suicide and lust. Look at the many contradictions, errors and non-sense stories that are written in the bible, if you are a Christian, you will realize that you are the crazy person for believing in it, living by it and dying for it.
the other day some of my neighbors killed and burned a stray cat that entered the compound in search of food calling it a witch. what pained me the most was how they were thanking god for helping them catch it. I was so mad coz i love cats they were all like how can u see spiritual things since u are blind spiritually. I was so saddened how backward we are in this country thanks to religion.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jan 18, 2015
Redlyn:
For the most party they are closed minded and brainwashed souls living in a bubble of delusion.
Since they need the bible or another holy book to tell them right from wrong they are afraid of people who have a moral code without reading their list of dos and don't dos. So for them either you follow a religion or you are bound to be somehow evil. They cant comprehend the concept of secular humanism.

Hey, quit the generalisations. I take my moral code from a Holy Book, and I do not believe atheists are evil; or anyone else for that matter. Individuals are just different mixes of moral and immoral.
As for your moral codes, they are derived from the values and norms already present in the society where you were born, and believe me, those were derived from one Holy Book or the other. All morals are.
Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by EvilBrain1(m): 5:54pm On Jan 18, 2015
Abuamam:

Hey, quit the generalisations. I take my moral code from a Holy Book, and I do not believe atheists are evil; or anyone else for that matter. Individuals are just different mixes of moral and immoral.
As for your moral codes, they are derived from the values and norms already present in the society where you were born, and believe me, those were derived from one Holy Book or the other. All morals are.

Wrong!!!

Morality evolved as a result of human social interactions. Being part of a herd means you need to reign in your individual selfishness in favour of the needs of the group. Our ancestors needed to work together to survive the harsh environment they lived in for millions of years. Groups of humans that didn't cooperate got outcompeted by other groups that did. And individuals that failed to cooperate within a group got socially isolated, reducing their chances of survival and reproductive success. Morality is simply what we call those instincts that allow us to live and work together, and those instincts came from natural selection. Humanity's superior ability to cooperate is probably our greatest evolutionary advantage over other animals.

Religion is just behaving like Apple Computer and claiming to have invented things that have been in existence long before they were. You don't need any stüpid holy book to tell you not to kill people or steal things. Our African ancestors knew this before the oyimbos brought their imported nonsense here. Even monkeys and chimpanzees have a sense of fairness and social justice and none of them have read the bible or koran.

If anything, religion only serves to corrupt people's morals and make them do evil things while thinking they are good. Like those who kill over cartoons, bomb primary schools and kidnap schoolgirls for god. Or the christian soldiers over the ages who've killed heretics, burnt witches massacred Jews and bombed abortion clinics.

Morality did not come from any religion, and its not enhanced by any religion. It just helps people feel they are moral even when they are acting like complete ässholes.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jan 18, 2015
EvilBrain1:

Wrong!!!

Morality evolved as a result of human social interactions. Being part of a herd means you need to reign in your individual selfishness in favour of the needs of the group. Our ancestors needed to work together to survive the harsh environment they lived in for millions of years. Groups of humans that didn't cooperate got outcompeted by other groups that did. And individuals that failed to cooperate within a group got socially isolated, reducing their chances of survival and reproductive success. Morality is simply what we call those instincts that allow us to live and work together, and those instincts came from natural selection. Humanity's superior ability to cooperate is probably our greatest evolutionary advantage over other animals.

Religion is just behaving like Apple Computer and claiming to have invented things that have been in existence long before they were. You don't need any stüpid holy book to tell you not to kill people or steal things. Our African ancestors knew this before the oyimbos brought their imported nonsense here. Even monkeys and chimpanzees have a sense of fairness and social justice and none of them have read the bible or koran.

If anything, religion only serves to corrupt people's morals and make them do evil things while thinking they are good. Like those who kill over cartoons, bomb primary schools and kidnap schoolgirls for god. Or the christian soldiers over the ages who've killed heretics, burnt witches massacred Jews and bombed abortion clinics.

Morality did not come from any religion, and its not enhanced by any religion. It just helps people feel they are moral even when they are acting like complete ässholes.

Hmm. You might have some points (barring the profanity and bad language), , but you are not totally correct.
Animals do not actually have a similar moral code as you claim. And they certainly have no concept of 'fairness' or 'justice'. Primates are known to kill the young of their species. They attack, kill and steal from among themselves and from other groups; and as you say, they have no religion to teach them that. In actual fact, survival of the fittest promotes selfishness over the good of the species. No hungry animal would give its food to a hungrier animal... unless forced to. Each individual is after propagating his own genes. Even in animals with grouping tendencies, lions for example, the incoming male tends to kill all the cubs of his predecessor. So it is wrong to say that animals have a moral code. It is an instinct to survive, and there is nothing moral about it.
Even among some backward tribes, stealing, killing, cannibalism and the like were highly valued codes of conduct, may still be. Our African ancestors were continually involved in inter village wars and plunder, and selling off their fellows as slaves.
As for fighting for religious reasons, most religionists believe that it is excused to prevent a greater harm to society. Even YOU would hold that the death penalty or killing in self defence is morally justified in some cases. The problem is in the difference in opinion between what is justifiable and what is not. Those who go to extremes tend to be very free with their justifications... including atheists like Stalin and Mao.
Religion has brought a lot of good, when combined with moderation and wisdom. It is the misapplication of religion that can bring harm to society.
Re: Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People by Redlyn: 7:28pm On Jan 18, 2015
Abuamam:

I didn't say all Christians i said most. And that is the case in my experience with Christians where they consider atheists to be on the devils side. If you don't think so good for you. So according to you before literature people were just killing each other, raping kids willy nilly and the victims approved of it I suppose. There are things that have not been condemned in the bible (slavery) but as a society we have unanimously turned against it as it causes harm to another. We use the same thought process to know killing for selfish reasons is bad. I don't need to read it on a list. There are things that have been condemned in the bible that majority (even you likely) ignore as they are not morally relevant (eating seafood, rounded haircuts, blended fabrics etc). So the bible is no the authority on morality like you think. Its unlikely that we will agree on this.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can A Christian Take A Personal Stance On Doctrinal Matters / Was Jesus Created? / Your Final Decision On Whether To Die As A Christian Or As A Muslim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.