Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,414 members, 7,808,477 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:33 PM

Update from Lagos Gubernatorial Debate Today. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Update from Lagos Gubernatorial Debate Today. (2292 Views)

Ondo Governorship Debate Today At 7pm On Channels Television. / Lagos Gubernatorial Elections Collation Updates / Lagos Gubernatorial Debate video, Ambode Clearly Not As Intelligent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Update from Lagos Gubernatorial Debate Today. by Alphaoscar: 6:34pm On Jan 15, 2015
PM News – It was drama and firework at the 2015 Lagos State Gubernatorial Debate organised by the Anglican Communion, Diocese of Lagos West in collaboration with the Diocese of Badagry and Mainland.

The debate which had in attendance 17 governorship candidates of various political parties, was held at Archbishop Vining Memorial Church Cathedral, Oba Akinjobi Way, GRA, Ikeja, Lagos.

Moderator and panelists of the debate included: Reverend Professor Dapo Folorunsho Asaju, President, Guild of Editors, Femi Adeshina, Editor-in-chief Business Day, Ray Echiebere and Dr Oladimeji Alo.

The candidate of Action Alliance, AC, Mr Ishola Aregbesola left the audience reeling in laughter when he was giving his autobiography rather than his programme for the state.

He rounded up his speech by saying he was not duly invited for the programme and was surprised when he saw his name on the list when he came in.

“I can’t see free education, health and housing after the tenure of Alhaji Lateef Jakande. Free education, health must continue in Lagos. Affordable housing must continue under my leadership,” he said.

The governorship candidate of National Conscience Party, NCP, Ayodele Akele, ran foul of the laid down rules of the debate by attacking the government in power.

He rounded up his speech by pledging that his government would stop illegal towing of vehicles on the highways, purchase 50,000 vehicles to ease transportation and build ring roads across the state.

“Nothing has changed in the last six years in Lagos. The state is surrounded by water and there is no potable water to drink. There is chaotic traffic situation everywhere. There is impunity in Lagos. There is closure of markets. The government is a looter of treasury,” he said.

The governorship candidate of All Progressives Congress, APC, Akinwunmi Ambode hinged his programme on L.A.G.O.S, meaning: Leadership, Accountability, Governance, Opportunity and Selfless service.

“All my life, I have continually served humanity. I served Lagos for 25 years. Lagosians are looking for people that will stand up and serve them. My vision is to have a clean and more prosperous Lagos state. We are looking at a Lagos that will serve all of us. I have the experience, character and capability to rule this state.

“My programme is tagged L.A.G.O.S. Leadership, Accountability, Good Governance, Opportunity and Selfless service. We will improve on what is on ground and create more jobs for the youths and create employment through our Trust Fund with corporate organisations,” he pledged.

Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governorship candidate, Jimi Agbaje pledged a robust programme tagged S.H.E.L.L.T.E.R which includes security, housing, economic empowerment, leadership among others.

“I started as a shop keeper and I know run a small scale business. Experience and qualification are two different things when we are talking of good governance. We will bring in bold ideas, vision of creating a global city of well educated, healthy and skilled people living in a prosperous environment.

“We will bring opportunities to the people irrespective of gender, tribe or religion so that they can realise their aspirations. We can’t continue to talk about education and skills if we have not provide a viable platform.

“Lagos State spends three per cent on education. When you have such foundation, you will build on nothing. It is time to rejig those figures and give our children education. Nearly 70 per cent of Lagos is slum and the state has gotten it right. It is time to mass produce houses,” he said.

Labour Party candidate, Olulana Olurotimi who was represented by his deputy, Pastor Michael Abiodun Popoola unveiled the party’s four cardinal points, a foundation on which he said his party intends to build a new Lagos.

“Education is in shambles particularly in Lagos state. We will re-access teaching aids currently in use and encourage the involvement of corporate organisations in the educational sector.

“There is need for a vibrant policy for security of lives and property and find ways to finance infrastructural development in Lagos and also provide the much needed jobs to curb unemployment,” he said.

Alliance for Democracy candidate, AD, Bolaji Ogunseye said he’s bringing back the party in Lagos in order to impact on the lives of the people come February 28.

“We are facing a desperate situation in Lagos. I’m here to talk to the youths and the unemployed. Inner cities has been taken over by mafias. I’m worried because we cannot afford to have a Mexico in Lagos.

“We will create small scale businesses in all the local governments across the state, deal with critical situations like transport, health, education etc. We will bring down the cost of rents, build houses and boost food supply,” he averred.

Mega Progressives Party, MPP, candidate, Pastor Kayode Jacobs, this is not the time to put Lagos in jeopardy or in care of an inexperienced, adding that his party will take Lagos to the promise land.

“We are in darkness and Mega Party is the rising star. Our logo is star and we shine in the dark. Our programme for Lagos is S.T.A.R; Standard primary education from primary level, Total health care delivery, Affordable housing and Road network expansion.

“We will make sure every child of school age are in school. Teachers are not dignified, they don’t go on leave and are not paid leave bonus. Mega Party will revive the health sector and provide adequate housing system.

“Workers are civil servants and should leave in the town not Ikorodu. We will ensure that the people are housed. We will expand the road networks even to the rural areas The debate was ongoing as at the time of filing this report.

Other governorship candidates at the debate were: Progressive People’s Alliance, PPA, Mrs Adegbe Pauline; Kowa Party, KP, candidate, Adeniji Victor; Peoples Democratic Movement, PDM, candidate, Badmus Akin; United Progressive Party, UPP, candidate, Igbinova Festus; All Progressive Grand Alliance, APGA, candidate, Izuchukwu Edion among others.
Re: Update from Lagos Gubernatorial Debate Today. by Alphaoscar: 6:34pm On Jan 15, 2015
Ambode & JK

Re: Update from Lagos Gubernatorial Debate Today. by gen2briz(m): 6:35pm On Jan 15, 2015
Waiting
Re: Update from Lagos Gubernatorial Debate Today. by Alphaoscar: 6:43pm On Jan 15, 2015
Team Ambode for Governor

8 Likes

Re: Update from Lagos Gubernatorial Debate Today. by donphilopus: 6:47pm On Jan 15, 2015
Alphaoscar:
JK & Ambode at the "2015 Gubernatorial Debate" organized by the Diocese of Lagos West of the Anglican Church, at the Archbishop Vining Memorial Church Cathedral, Ikeja.

Politics aside, this Diocese is the richest Anglican Diocese in Nigeria. cool
Re: Update from Lagos Gubernatorial Debate Today. by PassingShot(m): 6:49pm On Jan 15, 2015
Will it be live on air? If yes, what station?
Re: Update from Lagos Gubernatorial Debate Today. by Alphaoscar: 6:51pm On Jan 15, 2015
PassingShot:
Will it be live on air? If yes, what station?

You can look up for the updates
Re: Update from Lagos Gubernatorial Debate Today. by Alphaoscar: 6:53pm On Jan 15, 2015
donphilopus:

Politics aside, this Diocese is the richest Anglican Diocese in Nigeria. cool

3 Likes

Re: Update from Lagos Gubernatorial Debate Today. by Alphaoscar: 6:56pm On Jan 15, 2015
The governorship candidate of All Progressives Congress, APC, Akinwunmi Ambode hinged his programme on L.A.G.O.S, meaning: Leadership, Accountability, Governance, Opportunity and Selfless service.

“All my life, I have continually served humanity. I served Lagos for 25 years. Lagosians are looking for people that will stand up and serve them. My vision is to have a clean and more prosperous Lagos state. We are looking at a Lagos that will serve all of us. I have the experience, character and capability to rule this state.

“My programme is tagged L.A.G.O.S. Leadership, Accountability, Good Governance, Opportunity and Selfless service. We will improve on what is on ground and create more jobs for the youths and create employment through our Trust Fund with corporate organisations,” he pledged.

3 Likes

Re: Update from Lagos Gubernatorial Debate Today. by braine(m): 7:01pm On Jan 15, 2015
Nice.
Re: Update from Lagos Gubernatorial Debate Today. by madan(f): 7:16pm On Jan 15, 2015
I love Jimi's speech. If truly he said that.

1 Like

Re: Update from Lagos Gubernatorial Debate Today. by lolababe331e: 7:17pm On Jan 15, 2015
Ambode proved to me once again why he is the best man for the job

1 Like

Re: Update from Lagos Gubernatorial Debate Today. by motherlode: 7:24pm On Jan 15, 2015
cheesy Lagos will remain and be a better Lagos. I love that smart programme L.A.G.O.S = leadership, accountability, governance, opportunity, selfless service.
#teamAmbode for governor!

1 Like

Re: Update from Lagos Gubernatorial Debate Today. by Alphaoscar: 7:24pm On Jan 15, 2015
lolababe331e:
Ambode proved to me once again why he is the best man for the job

That is the crown Governor now.

2 Likes

Re: Update from Lagos Gubernatorial Debate Today. by austinvsb1(m): 8:10pm On Jan 15, 2015
Ambode for lagos 2015. #NoShaking!

1 Like

Re: Update from Lagos Gubernatorial Debate Today. by ayukdaboss(m): 9:11pm On Jan 15, 2015
While Ambode (APC) has prepared his agenda and plans for moving Lagos forward, Jimi Agbaje (PDP) plans to "rule Lagosians how other PDP governors are ruling their states".

Lagosians vote wisely so you don't regret in future like one state called EKITEE

2 Likes

Re: Update from Lagos Gubernatorial Debate Today. by cornelin(m): 9:35pm On Jan 15, 2015
Agbaje speech was a top notch for me. Our education is really dwindling and needs serious attention. Who else but Jimi. #JkisOk

2 Likes

Re: Update from Lagos Gubernatorial Debate Today. by Alphaoscar: 9:48pm On Jan 15, 2015
cornelin:
Agbaje speech was a top notch for me. Our education is really dwindling and needs serious attention. Who else but Jimi. #JkisOk

He lied about the amount % earmarked for education in Lagos state. Fashola will never earmark a paltry 3% of the budget to education. He is not that silly now.

1 Like

Re: Update from Lagos Gubernatorial Debate Today. by citizenY(m): 10:41pm On Jan 15, 2015
madan:
I love Jimi's speech. If truly he said that.

How can you love what you have not heard? Your second sentence says so!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Update from Lagos Gubernatorial Debate Today. by wiloy2k8(m): 11:46pm On Jan 29, 2015
i heard JK was better in d debate . i wld go for him . PDP for lagos , Buhari for President .
Re: Update from Lagos Gubernatorial Debate Today. by mgbeketoto: 11:48pm On Jan 29, 2015
17 governorship candidates?
What a den of CROOKS! grin

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Tunde Bakare To Head EFCC / BREAKING!!! Top PDP Financier, Arthur Eze, Visits Buhari / BREAKING NEWS: Tribunal Orders PDP To Remove Bags Containing ‘fraudulent’ Forms.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.