Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,324 members, 7,808,085 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:56 AM

What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? (32818 Views)

Anything Wrong With Sleeping In This Position With My Sister? - Jayzeez / What Is Wrong With This Couple In This Photo? / What Is Wrong With This Picture? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by winnieberry(f): 10:04pm On Jan 15, 2015
Helloo am an intovert by nature ,quiet love been indoors watching tv reading novels browse with my phone rather than chat with people.it gives people a wrong steroetype of me to them am wicked oor lack sympathy becos I hardly call or chat with people,even they collect my number.My family and friends nag me a lot E.g am not sociable,I don't go out its bad for a girl hw will toasters or my Future husband find me. It hurts me at times why can't people let me be for who I am cmon everyone can't be d same.To them am too secretive and sensitive,I choose to be secretive cos people can't just keep secrets , u tell smone somting .d nxt ting every else knows wat u told them.A lot of people tink am probably suffering frm insecurity,inferirity complex ,lowself esteem,Hell no .Pls anything wrong with been an introvert?

77 Likes 10 Shares

Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by eleojo23: 10:08pm On Jan 15, 2015
Introverts...the most misunderstood beings on the planet even though they have contributed immensely to the progress of mankind (great scientists, musicians, inventors etc).
If you need someone who will think outside the box by reflex, you'll most likely find that among the introverts.

Nothing wrong with being an introvert.

It is your nature and you did not choose to be made that way. But the problem is that the world prefers and celebrates extroversion.

One thing however is that both are needed to create balance in the human society.
Look at a picture of both personalities.

The extrovert is an outgoing person who is excited by being among/around people, he/she is easily bored when there is no activity to engage in. Yeah, he's got lots of energy to spare. He has no difficulty expressing his feelings. When he's angry, you know and when he's happy, it's also very obvious ('cos he can just throw a party to show his happiness). He may not be so much interested in deep intellectual talk (not in all cases though) but he likes small talks like discussing about the weather and things like that.

But the introvert is different. He is the quiet type who does most of his talking in his head. Yeah, he thinks a lot and likes to engage in deep and intellectual conversations. He can stay alone for days and not get bored. He is not so easy to 'read' when compared with the extrovert. You may not know when he's happy or sad because his default expression is
'blank'. He could be experiencing intense joy on the inside but the best he may do to show it would just be a smile (no, he won't go jumping up and down, screaming in excitement). He likes depth in whatever he does and as such prefers quality to quantity. He may be slow in doing stuff but when he is done, you would appreciate his work because of the quality of it.
He is very good at understanding people but unfortunately for him, the gesture is not reciprocated as he is often misunderstood by many.
He doesn't make friends and get attached to people easily but once he considers you his friend, you are most likely going be his friend for life. You can now see why he has to keep someone on his 'probation' list for some time before admitting that person into his circle of friends (which is usually small).
He likes to work from the background, away from the spotlight. He hates noise!
Cool music playing in the background and a book in hand is a perfect way for him to spend the day.
When he loves, he is usually very committed to the one he loves...

#my fingers are already getting numb from typing... #

Hence, you see that both are needed to complement each other so don't ever entertain the thought that something is wrong with you because you're an introvert.
However, you can try making friends with a moderate extrovert and you will see how it will help you open up a little, just the same way an extrovert's excesses are curbed when she has an introverted friend. I say moderate extrovert because a highly extroverted friend can drive you nuts with too much stimulation (from talking and other activities peculiar to her nature).

Pardon my long epistle smiley

362 Likes 68 Shares

Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by DesChyko: 10:17pm On Jan 15, 2015
All people aren't the same. As long as you go for what you need, who cares?

5 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by mutter(f): 10:24pm On Jan 15, 2015
No! great minds need their own company.

The problem is you are like a closed book, but the moment you open up: they read you, use you, abuse you and dump you.

Remain the way you! Be true to yourself. The world has got enough court clowns.

54 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by undercat: 10:57pm On Jan 15, 2015
You'll get used to it with time.

People usually get comfortable with each other by talking. If you're an introvert it means you speak less and people are less able to be comfortable around you. Even an introvert isn't comfortable around another person who speaks or wants to interact very little. When people complain about your introversion it means they want to be more comfortable around you.

Introversion is natural, and the effect of it is that you'll have fewer friends that your extroverted fellows. Incidentally, introverts are comfortable with fewer friends, so that's not your problem. It's the problem of those who want to be your friend.

When next someone complains that you're too quiet, keep in mind that what they really want is for you to make them more comfortable. You decide if you want to put them at ease.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by LordReed(m): 11:11pm On Jan 15, 2015
As long as your introversion is not destructive or depressive. Also don't hide yourself because you think you are misunderstood, that is something everybody feels at some point but you learn that there are people who will love you for you and it can be worth your while to look for and develop such relationships. Nobody has it completely hassle free in this world so locking yourself away won't make that go away.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by Nobody: 11:22pm On Jan 15, 2015
winnieberry:
Helloo am an intovert by nature ,quiet love been indoors watching tv reading novels browse with my phone rather than chat with people.it gives people a wrong steroetype of me to them am wicked oor lack sympathy becos I hardly call or chat with people,even they collect my number.My family and friends nag me a lot E.g am not sociable,I don't go out its bad for a girl hw will toasters or my Future husband find me. It hurts me at times why can't people let me be for who I am cmon everyone can't be d same.To them am too secretive and sensitive,I choose to be secretive cos people can't just keep secrets , u tell smone somting .d nxt ting every else knows wat u told them.A lot of people tink am probably suffering frm insecurity,inferirity complex ,lowself esteem,Hell no .Pls anything wrong with been an introvert?
lol,my kinda girl, you might want to read this article I wrote - www.nairaland.com/2081337/seven-reasons-why-should-date
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by PureLife22: 4:20am On Jan 16, 2015
Nothing wrong at all
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by Olarewajub: 5:13am On Jan 16, 2015
@Op, i will recommend you visit Nairaland Introvert Lounge. https://www.nairaland.com/1830091/introverts-lounge-extroverts-pls-keep

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by Nobody: 6:10am On Jan 16, 2015
Hell No!!!.

It's not at all wrong to be an introvert. It's just the society we live in that makes us feel that way. All our institutions are designed for extroverts, in-considerably assuming that extroversion is the only way to go about, without realizing many of world's greatest leaders, musicians and creators are also introverts, so my dear don't mind your folks!,Even though, the reality remains that people still value the better talker more than the person with the better idea. And I believe this has got to do with the way humans have evolved, and nothing can be done much about it, at least in the near future. However, I can suggest some ways to go about being and introvert and enjoying it

Find something YOU really enjoy doing, and be awesome at that. That could also stop the teasing to some extent.

Try to be around people who do not make fun of you, and find friends who actually understand you. smiley. this is really important
Try doing something creative; something you enjoy!, it can be used as a topic for good conversations with the people you surround yourself with. I hope this helps you.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by Nutase: 7:52am On Jan 16, 2015
intro, extro, nitro & outro all are d same because they end with tro.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by hydeka: 8:44am On Jan 17, 2015
Nutase:
intro, extro, nitro & outro all are d same because they end with tro.
Funny
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by Nobody: 8:48am On Jan 17, 2015
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by mhyra(f): 9:26am On Jan 17, 2015
Dearie, there are lots and loads of benefits being an introvert.
you'd have a good One-to-One Relationships..
you'd be able to Maintain Long-Term Friendships..
Independence..
Strong Ability To Concentrate..
Self-Reflective..
Responsible..
Creative, Out-of-the-Box thinking..
Analytical Skills That Integrate Complexity..
Studious and Smart.

so my dear, never, NEVER you apologize for being introverted.. we are very special beings that the so-called extroverts find awkward.
unique is your middle name smiley

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by Nobody: 9:30am On Jan 17, 2015
Nope.. Nothing wrong with it.
You are who you are..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by Nobody: 10:54pm On Feb 21, 2015
eleojo23:

If you need someone who will think outside the box by reflex, you'll most likely find that among the introvert.

U got everything else right but this. Creative thinking has never been the exclusive trait of introverts.

I've met many stupid introverts. And I've met many intelligent, deep-thinking extroverts.

Introvert is not a synonym for intelligence. Day shdnt be over-hyped.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by eleojo23: 5:37am On Feb 22, 2015
obongproff:

U got everything else right but this. Creative thinking has never been the exclusive trait of introverts.

I've met many stupid introverts. And I've met many intelligent, deep-thinking extroverts.

Introvert is not a synonym for intelligence. Day shdnt be over-hyped.

Look at the statement again.
If you need someone who will think outside the box by reflex, you'll most likely find that among the introvert.

You'll see that I said 'most likely' not 'always'.

4 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by Youngpo413: 12:00am On Jun 18, 2015
mutter:
No! great minds need their own company.

The problem is you are like a closed book, but the moment you open up: they read you, use you, abuse you and dump you.

Remain the way you! Be true to yourself. The world has got enough court clowns.
TOUCHE
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by hydeka: 6:45pm On Jun 19, 2015
Absolutely nothing.
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jun 21, 2015
Okay
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by CHARLEH(m): 8:13pm On Jun 21, 2015
Hmmmm

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by exlinkleads(f): 8:13pm On Jun 21, 2015
practically nothing
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by NaLaugh: 8:13pm On Jun 21, 2015
Nothing. PROVIDED you're not missing out on certain basic things.

e.g you constantly fail job interviews because your personality isn't compatible with the company's drive.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by Tamee(f): 8:14pm On Jun 21, 2015
lol cheesy
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by omoadeleye(m): 8:14pm On Jun 21, 2015
people don't mingle with a boring people, you will just be dulling spirit.
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by kazmanbanjoko(m): 8:14pm On Jun 21, 2015
Introvert!!! What does it mean in a lay-man understanding bcoz i dont really get it. Or wait, lemme check google maybe i can get d answer i want.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by YerYer: 8:14pm On Jun 21, 2015
I must confess, i'm probably one of the biggest introverts known to mankind! I'm not as socially awkward as most introverts though.. They say introverts are very creative and caring in general. Although, I do wish I had a fair balance of introversion and extroversion cuz if you look around you, most of the famous and very successful people are extroverts. Your boss is most likely going to promote a confident extroverted person before an introvert; sad but that's how the cookie crumbles. Statistically, they say extroverts make more money, but introverts are usually the innovators and creators. ex late Steve Jobs

3 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by CHARLEH(m): 8:14pm On Jun 21, 2015
Nothing! #SMH
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by TDonald: 8:14pm On Jun 21, 2015
eleojo23:
Introverts...the most misunderstood beings on the planet even though they have contributed immensely to the progress of mankind (great scientists, musicians, inventors etc).
If you need someone who will think outside the box by reflex, you'll most likely find that among the introverts.

It is your nature and you did not choose to be made that way. But the problem is that the world prefers and celebrates extroversion.

One thing however is that both are needed to create balance in the human society.
Look at a picture of both personalities.

The extrovert is an outgoing person who is excited by being among/around people, he/she is easily bored when there is no activity to engage in. Yeah, he's got lots of energy to spare. He has no difficulty expressing his feelings. When he's angry, you know and when he's happy, it's also very obvious ('cos he can just throw a party to show his happiness). He may not be so much interested in deep intellectual talk (not in all cases though) but he likes small talks like discussing about the weather and things like that.

But the introvert is different. He is the quiet type who does most of his talking in his head. Yeah, he thinks a lot and likes to engage in deep and intellectual conversations. He can stay alone for days and not get bored. He is not so easy to 'read' when compared with the extrovert. You may not know when he's happy or sad because his default expression is
'blank'. He could be experiencing intense joy on the inside but the best he may do to show it would be just a smile (no, he won't go jumping up and down, screaming in excitement). He likes depth in whatever he does. Cool music playing in the background and a book in hand is a perfect way for him to spend the day. When he loves, he is usually committed to the one he loves... #my fingers are already getting numb from typing... #

Hence, you see that both are needed to complement each other so don't ever entertain the thought that something is wrong with you because you're an introvert.
However, you can try make friends with a moderate extrovert and you will see how it will help you open up a little, just the same way an extrovert's excesses are curbed when she has an introverted friend. I say moderate extrovert because a highly extroverted friend can drive you nuts with too much stimulation (from talking and other activities peculiar to her nature).

Pardon my long epistle

Source grin
BTW this topic was created over 5months ago, the mod who digged is up, is he also an INTROVERT?

4 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by Pavore9: 8:14pm On Jun 21, 2015
Nothing as each of us is unique in our own way.
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by INTROVERT(f): 8:14pm On Jun 21, 2015
WHO IS TALKING ABOUT ME grin grin

Hey Winnieberry I feel your pain but being an introvert is totally awesome for many reasons.
Being an introvert dosent mean you won't have friends or go out or have fun or boring. Take me for example, ave been a guest on NL for 2 years and I just registered last month but am well known now for just causing ish on FTC. As an introvert, It means you are in control of yourself and your emotions. Even if you are misunderstood don't mind them or give an F.

You Don't need to suck up to any friend.
You are intelligent and a deep intellectual cos you spend a lot of time reading books and surfing the net
[s]You become a goddess of the front page of NL[/s]

Don't let any one change you and as for your man, Hey sister don't rush or push it cos at the appropriate time you will get the best God has planned out for you.
Besides many men are looking for quiet(introverts).

kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss xo xo.

10 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

I Found My Father After 24 Years, But... / It's My 16th Wedding Anniversary, 16 Years Since I Married My Best Friend. / Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.