Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,580 members, 7,809,107 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:19 PM

A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State (58329 Views)

Kiyi, A Community In FCT That Still Kills Twins And Triplets? / The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) / Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by ezanafe(m): 5:49pm On Jan 16, 2015
Historical Origin (Circa 1700 AD)

The International African Institute London has, since 1945, been engaged in the preparation and publication of an Ethnographic Survey of Africa, the objective being to present information on the various peoples of Africa in terms of location, natural environment, economy, crafts, social structure, political organization, religious beliefs and cults. A Committee of the Institute set up under the Chairmanship of Professor Radcliffe Brown under took the editing of the survey with the generous collaboration of Research Institutions, Anthropologists, the British Colonial Development and Welfare Funds and the Belgian authorities through the Commission d’Ethnologie of the Institute Royal Colonial Belge. The Book titled Ethnographical Survey of Africa, The Benin Kingdom and The Edo-Speaking Peoples of South Western Nigeria was co-published by R.E. Bradbury and P.C. Lloyd in 1957.

In that publication Ibillo was classified as number 5 of the 28 autonomous or semi autonomous Edo speaking communities in the northern part of Kukuruku Division with the population of 4,180 people including stranger element and Leper Settlement vide the 1952 Census Bulletin with 8 families and 4 wards. The ancestors of most of these communities were said to have migrated from Benin or from the Yoruba country on the west while Ibillo was stated to have originated from Ife. This historical origin of Ibillo substantiated the earlier report titled: An Intelligence Report on 34 Independent Villages of the Kukuruku Division, Benin Province by R.L.V. Wilkes D.O. (District Officer) published in 1940. Also by this Report Ibillo was said to be founded by a man called Ibillo who was stated to have come direct from Ife. Ibillo was administered since 1890 from Ikare, Kabba, Okene, Ido, Fugar and Auchi and in 1920 became part of Imeri District under the Onimeri. This historic fact was confirmed by the Mid Western State of Nigeria Administrative Research and Support Division Report on the Investigations into the Role of Chiefs in the Mid Western State 1970. Ibillo population as at 1940 was 615 people and under a native administration comprised of Elders Council and Age Grade System at both the quarters and village levels.

Cc: O. A. Richard
O. E. James

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Sleekydee(m): 6:03pm On Jan 16, 2015
great write up...iRepLampese!!!

2 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by ezanafe(m): 6:10pm On Jan 16, 2015
Sleekydee:
great write up...iRepLampese!!!
great guy... up OKPAMERI... i have been longing to meet someone from Edo State on Nairaland.

1 Like

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by ezanafe(m): 6:25pm On Jan 16, 2015
With all due respect MODS, pls let this hit front page.

1 Like

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by thegoodone2(m): 6:44pm On Jan 16, 2015
The war bw Ife and modakeke around 1800 make ibillo leave Ife to Edo.

1 Like

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by economia: 7:02pm On Jan 16, 2015
ezanafe:
Historical Origin (Circa 1700 AD)

The International African Institute London has, since 1945, been engaged in the preparation and publication of an Ethnographic Survey of Africa, the objective being to present information on the various peoples of Africa in terms of location, natural environment, economy, crafts, social structure, political organization, religious beliefs and cults. A Committee of the Institute set up under the Chairmanship of Professor Radcliffe Brown under took the editing of the survey with the generous collaboration of Research Institutions, Anthropologists, the British Colonial Development and Welfare Funds and the Belgian authorities through the Commission d’Ethnologie of the Institute Royal Colonial Belge. The Book titled Ethnographical Survey of Africa, The Benin Kingdom and The Edo-Speaking Peoples of South Western Nigeria was co-published by R.E. Bradbury and P.C. Lloyd in 1957.

In that publication Ibillo was classified as number 5 of the 28 autonomous or semi autonomous Edo speaking communities in the northern part of Kukuruku Division with the population of 4,180 people including stranger element and Leper Settlement vide the 1952 Census Bulletin with 8 families and 4 wards. The ancestors of most of these communities were said to have migrated from Benin or from the Yoruba country on the west while Ibillo was stated to have originated from Ife. This historical origin of Ibillo substantiated the earlier report titled: An Intelligence Report on 34 Independent Villages of the Kukuruku Division, Benin Province by R.L.V. Wilkes D.O. (District Officer) published in 1940. Also by this Report Ibillo was said to be founded by a man called Ibillo who was stated to have come direct from Ife. Ibillo was administered since 1890 from Ikare, Kabba, Okene, Ido, Fugar and Auchi and in 1920 became part of Imeri District under the Onimeri. This historic fact was confirmed by the Mid Western State of Nigeria Administrative Research and Support Division Report on the Investigations into the Role of Chiefs in the Mid Western State 1970. Ibillo population as at 1940 was 615 people and under a native administration comprised of Elders Council and Age Grade System at both the quarters and village levels.

Cc: O. A. Richard
Ezanafe. O.
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jan 16, 2015
ezanafe:
great guy... up OKPAMERI... i have been longing to meet someone from Edo State on Nairaland.
frm EDO state bro, from ugboshi afe exactly. Wht is ur stake
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Sleekydee(m): 7:19pm On Jan 16, 2015
ezanafe:

hehehe, we full here bro.....
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by ezanafe(m): 12:23am On Jan 17, 2015
Sleekydee:

hehehe, we full here bro.....
So my fellow Okpameri pple dae here. iRepOkpameri. So my people am frm Ibillo. pls let us show case our talent.
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Funjosh(m): 5:24am On Jan 17, 2015
Ibilo, Lampese are they Yoruba or Edo.

1 Like

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by ezanafe(m): 5:05pm On Jan 17, 2015
Funjosh:
Ibilo, Lampese are they Yoruba or Edo.
They are Edo but originated from the Yoruba race.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Redoil: 8:01pm On Jan 19, 2015
ezanafe:
They are Edo but originated from the Yoruba race.
do they speak Yoruba as their native language if no then they are not from yorubaland.

2 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by RAO1(m): 6:52pm On Jan 21, 2015
Oh ! I do pass along these places when travelling to Kogi state.. I thought they are part of Ondo/Kogi state.
Ibilos love selling fried yam.

4 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by TonySpike: 4:46am On Jan 22, 2015
Redoil:
do they speak Yoruba as their native language if no then they are not from yorubaland.

Ibillo is part of the greater Akokoland, although politically they are Akoko-Edos. Yoruba culture is predominant in this area and a dialect of Yoruba language is officially spoken in this area. So, it is logical to categorise them as part of the Yoruba commonwealth.

13 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by ezanafe(m): 2:34pm On Jan 26, 2015
TonySpike:

Ibillo is part of the greater Akokoland, although politically they are Akoko-Edos. Yoruba culture is predominant in this area and a dialect of Yoruba language is officially spoken in this area. So, it is logical to categorise them as part of the Yoruba commonwealth.
Sir, Ibillo's official spoken language is Ibillo. But truly Yoruba culture is predominant in the area. Thanks

5 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by ezanafe(m): 2:38pm On Jan 26, 2015
RAO1:
Oh ! I do pass along these places when travelling to Kogi state.. I thought they are part of Ondo/Kogi state.
Ibilos love selling fried yam.
Truly they sell yam a lot in this area.

1 Like

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by ezanafe(m): 2:42pm On Jan 26, 2015
Redoil:
Their native language is Ibillo and they originated from Yoruba and some how they diverted from speaking Yoruba to Ibillo dialect.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Redoil: 2:50pm On Jan 26, 2015
ezanafe:
Their native language is Ibillo and they originated from Yoruba and some how they diverted from speaking Yoruba to Ibillo dialect.
i put it to you that they are not from Yoruba land. Yoruba people know ho to re write history to make it look as if every other tribe arround them are from Yoruba.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by ezanafe(m): 9:31am On Jan 27, 2015
Redoil:
i put it to you that they are not from Yoruba land. Yoruba people know ho to re write history to make it look as if every other tribe around them are from Yoruba.
As it is stated in my brief historical origin of ibillo, "The ancestors of most of these communities were said to have migrated from Benin or from the Yoruba country on the west while Ibillo was stated to have originated
from Ife". " Also by this Report Ibillo was said to be founded by a man called Ibillo who was stated to have
come direct from Ife. Ibillo was administered since
1890 from Ikare, Kabba, Okene, Ido, Fugar and
Auchi and in 1920 became part of Imeri District
under the Onimeri. This historic fact was
confirmed by the Mid Western State of Nigeria
Administrative Research and Support Division
Report on the Investigations into the Role of
Chiefs in the Mid Western State 1970".

So bros it is crystal clear that IBILLO's origin can be traced to yoruba race but they lost their TRUE native language along the way which resulted to now speaking ibillo dialect as their local language. The way their TRUE language was lost is best known to the forefathers of the land. Thanks

6 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by scholes0(m): 9:35am On Jan 27, 2015
Redoil:
i put it to you that they are not from Yoruba land. Yoruba people know ho to re write history to make it look as if every other tribe arround them are from Yoruba.

Are you saying you know the people of Ibillo, Ikpeshi, Isua, Ogori ,Imeri, Lamkpeshe, Ososo, Etc more than the people themselves?
If you have been through the area, you will know that these people of Northern Edo/North-East Ondo (AKOKO/AKOKO-EDO) are Yoruba, with some Edo influences.
Each group in Akoko and surrounding areas have their own language, one town can have one language/local dialect, but the general language and predominant culture in the area is Yoruba.

10 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by TonySpike: 9:44am On Jan 27, 2015
scholes0:

Are you saying you know the people of Ibillo, Ikpeshi, Isua, Ogori ,Imeri, Lamkpeshe, Ososo, Etc more than the people themselves?
If you have been through the area, you will know that these people of Northern Edo/North-East Ondo (AKOKO/AKOKO-EDO) are Yoruba, with some Edo influences.
Each group in Akoko and surrounding areas have their own language, one town can have one language/local dialect, but the general language and predominant culture in the area is Yoruba.

Don't mind that guy. He is just another Igbo troll who has so much dislike for Yorubas.

8 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by scholes0(m): 9:45am On Jan 27, 2015
ezanafe:
Sir, Ibillo's official spoken language is Ibillo. But truly Yoruba culture is predominant in the area. Thanks

True, The local dialect spoken in Ibilo town is Ibilo (Okpameri) - but It is gradually fading away to Yoruba influences. Many of the Younger generation cant speak it anymore.
How can we preserve the local dialects of the area?

5 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by scholes0(m): 9:48am On Jan 27, 2015
TonySpike:

Don't mind that guy. He is just another Igbo troll who has so much dislike for Yorubas.

oh.....
I actually thought he had a genuine interest in the topic, or was asking a genuine question..... now I know better.

8 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Redoil: 10:43am On Jan 27, 2015
scholes0:

one thing i am very sure of is that the people of akoko edo speaks more than 20 languages and which Yoruba is not part off. The fact that the people of akoko edo have decided to assimilate and associate with Yoruba people, culture, and language for easy access to trade with them does not make akoko edo people more or less originated from Yoruba land.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Redoil: 10:49am On Jan 27, 2015
TonySpike:

hmmm. Do you realy think i am another igbo guy just because i associated more with them on nairaland? Wonder why?
Ok let me take you round akoko edo all the towns clann and languagestowns include
1.Igarra,
2.Enwan,
3.Aiyegunle,
4.Ugboshi-Afe, 5.Ibillo,
6.Ikiran-Ile,
7.Somorika,
8. Lampese,
you can cotinue reading from this links which is copied from a research i contributed to.
https://m./457065920985347?view=permalink&id=886182438073691&refid=18&_ft_&__tn__=%2As.
I am from ososo with name; omokhowa

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by ezanafe(m): 10:56pm On Jan 27, 2015
Redoil:
hmmm. Do you realy think i am another igbo guy just because i associated more with them on nairaland? Wonder why?
Ok let me take you round akoko edo all the towns clann and languagestowns include
1.Igarra,
2.Enwan,
3.Aiyegunle,
4.Ugboshi-Afe, 5.Ibillo,
6.Ikiran-Ile,
7.Somorika,
8. Lampese,
you can cotinue reading from this links which is copied from a research i contributed to.
https://m./457065920985347?view=permalink&id=886182438073691&refid=18&_ft_&__tn__=%2As.
hmmmm Ososo guy. i can now see.
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by scholes0(m): 1:43am On Jan 28, 2015
ezanafe:
hmmmm Ososo guy. i can now see.

dont be fooled so easily by what he claims to be.
Anybody can call themselves anything on the internet.

11 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by scholes0(m): 1:46am On Jan 28, 2015
Redoil:
1.Igarra,
2.Enwan,
3.Aiyegunle,
4.Ugboshi-Afe, 5.Ibillo,
6.Ikiran-Ile,
7.Somorika,
8. Lampese,

No you cant take me around the area, because I am very familiar with all the areas you listed, and it is something anybody can google up and paste....... look up Akoko-Edo on wikipedia or google, and the name of all those towns are there.
I am telling you the reality on ground in these places.
Even the thread OP already told you how he and his people self identify, but you still insist on being adamant....... Whatever man.

11 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by scholes0(m): 1:52am On Jan 28, 2015
Redoil:
one thing i am very sure of is that the people of akoko edo speaks more than 20 languages and which Yoruba is not part off. The fact that the people of akoko edo have decided to assimilate and associate with Yoruba people, culture, and language for easy access to trade with them does not make akoko edo people more or less originated from Yoruba land.

The people of Akoko Edo are very fragmented, just like the peoples of Akoko proper. Almost every town have different languages and dialects, but speak Yoruba as a general language. And it is not for trading with Yoruba people but rather, trading and relating with themselves..
Between Isua Akoko (Ondo state) and Ogori Magongo (Kogi state) for example, you might come across up to 20 languages and dialects, how else are they supposed to communicate with one another.

Culturallly speaking the area is at the boundry where yoruba-Edo and Ebira meet, and the people theselves are a mixture of all three, with Yoruba ancestry being dominant.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Redoil: 6:23am On Jan 28, 2015
scholes0:

No you cant take me around the area, because I am very familiar with all the areas you listed, and it is something anybody can google up and paste....... look up Akoko-Edo on wikipedia or google, and the name of all those towns are there.
I am telling you the reality on ground in these places.
Even the thread OP already told you how he and his people self identify, but you still insist on being adamant....... Whatever man.
i like ur analysis and it shows that you know more about ur people and those arround them.
My point is that our ancestors migrating and settled in the boarders of yorober town does not make them Yoruba and that is onething i will always accept.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Redoil: 6:27am On Jan 28, 2015
scholes0:

The people of Akoko Edo are very fragmented, just like the peoples of Akoko proper. Almost every town have different languages and dialects, but speak Yoruba as a general language. And it is not for trading with Yoruba people but rather, trading and relating with themselves..
Between Isua Akoko (Ondo state) and Ogori Magongo (Kogi state) for example, you might come across up to 20 languages and dialects, how else are they supposed to communicate with one another.

Culturallly speaking the area is at the boundry where yoruba-Edo and Ebira meet, and the people theselves are a mixture of all three, with Yoruba ancestry being dominant.
seriously on point.
Do you believe or accept that these people you mention do not originate from Yoruba land as postulated by a poster above?

1 Like

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Redoil: 6:31am On Jan 28, 2015
scholes0:

dont be fooled so easily by what he claims to be.
Anybody can call themselves anything on the internet.
yes you ar right by saying anybody can call themselves anything on the internet. But why have you decide to choose such path?

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Adeyemi & His Wives At His Daughter's wedding (Photos) / “The Next Ooni Will Not Eat Sijuwade’s Heart” - Ife Chief / The Beauty Of Northern Nigerian Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.