Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,990 members, 7,806,880 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:03 AM

A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State (58304 Views)

Kiyi, A Community In FCT That Still Kills Twins And Triplets? / The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) / Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by lawani: 2:22pm On Apr 26, 2016
macof:

this is what I call gullibility. how can you believe every dumb shiit you read online?
who gave the authors of those online articles the knowledge of the Egyptian language?

all those things are lies Mr. man

Well, we all learn from others, no one is an island , I learn from millions of people. This is the researchn work. i dont accept everything in it as I wrote a rejoinder on my facebook page

http://obamaandpeace..com.ng/2010/03/oduduwa-and-yoruba-revolution-in-world.html
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Wulfruna(f): 4:51pm On Apr 26, 2016
lawani:

You can google it, words like suegbe-fool, ika-wicked, lareja-knowledge, ibudo-dwelling place, On-person, ma-know and over half of modern Yoruba vocab was used in exactly thesame way in kemitic Egypt. So that our current language is descended from that language is not debateable. it is the fact. i for one believe our ancestors spoke Akoko dialects in the past. I once heard an Awo on radio saying our old word for house was Arigidi and that Ile is new. That we speak a language descended from kemitic Egypt does not mean we are descended wholly from kemitic Egypt but definitely a large number of them joined us and we adopted the language same way we are now adopting English.

Sir, how can suegbe be an Egyptian word? Ancient Egyptian was an Afro-Asiatic language. How many Afro-Asiatic languages do you know that have a 'gb' sound? Sometimes I wonder where you people get these things from.

3 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Babacele: 8:10pm On Jul 25, 2016
ezanafe:

Its God's doing.
I have been doing a lot of research about Ososo, Ewan, Arigidi, idoani, ipe, isua, ijebu, ife, Bini,Igala etc . please can you tell me the meaning of these expression in Ososo?
1. Ewe so e.........like the Ijebu greeting
2. Shalaye ran me ......
3. O yator......
4. iyaan(Ososo)...Oyan in egbira ...

5. IBU.....for cooking soup.
6. ukuba like okuba in Arigidi in Ondo
7. Osha mi di me like Idoani people in Ondo that say Osha mi gbe me.
8. what is the meaning of Oke - a quarter in Ososo.
9. is it true that the ani are considered the earliest settlers or elders in Ososo. what is the meaning of 'ani'.
10. enere...... relating to food. The verb ' re' how do I explain it? thanks.

1 Like

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Nobody: 12:29am On Aug 14, 2016
I know there.
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Maximus85(m): 10:39pm On Sep 29, 2016
Where can one download Ibillo songs?
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Nobody: 7:43am On Oct 22, 2016
so happy to see this online. wow. am a proud Ibillo. born and bred. I need some ibillo songs on my phone though, Leo fadaka or Oslo would do.
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by furthest(m): 4:33am On Oct 23, 2016
super cool to see this thread..am from ikiran ile, afe'ye.
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by ezanafe(m): 12:38am On Nov 21, 2016
ENIMONEY:
so happy to see this online. wow. am a proud Ibillo. born and bred. I need some ibillo songs on my phone though, Leo fadaka or Oslo would do.

I can only share with you on WhatsApp.
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by ezanafe(m): 12:40am On Nov 21, 2016
furthest:
super cool to see this thread..am from ikiran ile, afe'ye.

Wow...nice to meet an Afeye indigene
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by furthest(m): 1:52am On Nov 21, 2016
ezanafe:

Wow...nice to meet an Afeye indigene
am happy to meet you as well..are you from ikiran-ile?
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by ezanafe(m): 10:36am On Dec 15, 2016
furthest:
am happy to meet you as well..are you from ikiran-ile?

No, am from Ibillo.
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by oyatz(m): 9:05pm On Dec 27, 2016
Those peoples have MIXED ancestry ; Edo , Yoruba, Igala and Ebira but like in most cases with similar circumstances, the small tribes get assimilated into the larger tribe, so it is safe to say the Yorubas are in majority but politically, they fall under the administration of the Edos just as in the case of Bida and Ilorin Emirates where the conquering Fulani Jihadists gained POLITICAL POWER via religion but became assimilated into their larger hosts of Nupe and Yoruba ethnic groups respectively
Redoil:
seriously on point.
Do you believe or accept that these people you mention do not originate from Yoruba land as postulated by a poster above?
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by gawu1: 10:42pm On Dec 27, 2016
ezanafe:
As it is stated in my brief historical origin of ibillo, "The ancestors of most of these communities were said to have migrated from Benin or from the Yoruba country on the west while Ibillo was stated to have originated
from Ife". " Also by this Report Ibillo was said to be founded by a man called Ibillo who was stated to have
come direct from Ife. Ibillo was administered since
1890 from Ikare, Kabba, Okene, Ido, Fugar and
Auchi and in 1920 became part of Imeri District
under the Onimeri. This historic fact was
confirmed by the Mid Western State of Nigeria
Administrative Research and Support Division
Report on the Investigations into the Role of
Chiefs in the Mid Western State 1970".

So bros it is crystal clear that IBILLO's origin can be traced to yoruba race but they lost their TRUE native language along the way which resulted to now speaking ibillo dialect as their local language. The way their TRUE language was lost is best known to the forefathers of the land. Thanks
Your facts are unambiguous, at least. Ask him to bring forward his own if he insisted.
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by gawu1: 11:13pm On Dec 27, 2016
oyatz:
Those peoples have MIXED ancestry ; Edo , Yoruba, Igala and Ebira but like in most cases with similar circumstances, the small tribes get assimilated into the larger tribe, so it is safe to say the Yorubas are in majority but politically, they fall under the administration of the Edos just as in the case of Bida and Ilorin Emirates where the conquering Fulani Jihadists gained POLITICAL POWER via religion but became assimilated into their larger hosts of Nupe and Yoruba ethnic groups respectively
Can you Please buttress your claim with facts and sources just like how the poster of the topic did. History does not relies on supposition, but basic and absolute facts and evidence from verifiable sources.
Besides, that the Ibillo are part of Edo state today does not mean they were politically Edos from history. The present state boundaries demarcation are just not only mere geographical expressions but also arbitrary conglomeration of people living adjacent to one another for administration purposes. They are not necessarily reflection of cultural and historical grouping of the people of nigeria. This has being government policy since colonial era.

3 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Nobody: 10:42am On Dec 28, 2016
Redoil:
i put it to you that they are not from Yoruba land. Yoruba people know ho to re write history to make it look as if every other tribe arround them are from Yoruba.
Na igbo wey rewrite history pass not even Yoruba

5 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by aljharem(m): 7:27am On May 02, 2017
Deadlytruth:
I know Igarra very well. Well, Igarras are not Yorubas and they have no links with Yorubas in any way. Igarras have v and z in their alphabets while yorubas don't have these letters in their own alphabetical system. Igarra people of Akoko-Edo speak Etuno dialect of the Oshuku language. Some Igarra names are Ozioma, Ofuje, Adaviriku, Adeche, Eneze, Ajimego, Ochavinekine, Asusheyi, Iramofu, Ukana, Osireyeriopa, Ozaime, Ozeyeivo, etc, and I don't think any Yoruba man here can interpret any of these names based on Yoruba diction.

Based on my dialect and I am from Lagos

Ozioma means something good
adaviriku means not seeing death
Asusheyi means Asu did this
Iramofu means some have

Take more my yoruba is not even good !

2 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by ezanafe(m): 5:49pm On May 18, 2017
Ibillo as a town is the far most developed community in Okpameri. Various social amenities are being installed periodically.
Ibillo is the next gold-rush community.
Watch out in future!

2 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Deadlytruth(m): 12:22pm On Dec 25, 2017
aljharem:

Based on my dialect and I am from Lagos

Ozioma means something good
adaviriku means not seeing death
Asusheyi means Asu did this
Iramofu means some have

Take more my yoruba is not even good !

In Igarra usage:
Ozioma means a responsible child develops the trait naturally and not due much to parental efforts.
Iramofu means the future always is greater than the past and present.
Adaviriku means that a responsible father is a like a forest into which members of the family run for protection.
Asusheyi is actually a condensed pronunciation of A si ewu sha eyi and it transliterates to 'You should not hurry' meaning no hurry in life.

So they are not Yoruba names and have nothing to do with Yoruba.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by macof(m): 4:33pm On Dec 25, 2017
Deadlytruth:

In Igarra usage:
Ozioma means a responsible child develops the trait naturally and not due much to parental efforts.
Iramofu means the future always is greater than the past and present.
Adaviriku means that a responsible father is a like a forest into which members of the family run for protection.
Asusheyi is actually a condensed pronunciation of A si ewu sha eyi and it transliterates to 'You should not hurry' meaning no hurry in life.

So they are not Yoruba names and have nothing to do with Yoruba.

Not being Yoruba doesn't mean they have nothing to do with Yoruba

Yoruba and Igala share a common origin, one more closely connected than the Yoruba-Edo-Igbo origin infact, and the Okun- Ekiti sub groups have had a lot of interaction with the Igala for centuries.

Don't take all lay man's translation seriously, just because aljharem gave his suggestion doesn't mean that's all to it...

3 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by RedboneSmith(m): 4:57pm On Dec 25, 2017
macof:

Yoruba and Igala share a common origin, one more closely connected than the Yoruba-Edo-Igbo origin infact, and the Okun- Ekiti sub groups have had a lot of interaction with the Igala for centuries.

Don't take all lay man's translation seriously, just because aljharem gave his suggestion doesn't mean that's all to it...

Igarra is different from Igala.

3 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Probz(m): 5:24pm On Dec 25, 2017
macof:

Igarra’s not Igala. More akin to Ebira.
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Nobody: 7:51pm On Dec 25, 2017
You are not being reasonable, the name of the people is AKOKO-EDO ! And you are claiming that they are not Edo.
I don't know if you guys are aware but the entire Edo state is part of the Benin Kingdom !
Would you guys please stop trying to make yourselves spokesmen for the cultures of people you know nothing about !
Will yoruba ever stop claiming our Edo people through the backdoor ?

macof:
I hope you all know that the case here is like every other. .
Take Ekiti for instance, we have different dialects within ourselves but all are generally considered Ekiti, Ekiti also considered a dialect of Yoruba
So the various Akoko dialects are simply under AKOKO which is also a Yoruba dialect. ..or has evolved into that

Being in Edo state doesn't make Akoko ethnically Edo
That would be like saying Okun are Kogi because they are in Kogi state grin

1 Like

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Nobody: 7:59pm On Dec 25, 2017
People here who keep talking about Edo state without any knowledge of the history of the Edo are speaking nonesense.
You need to stop confusing what takes place in other states with Edo state.
The Edo people had a country of theirs: The Benin Kingdom whose capital is Benin City, and the Edo also had an empire of vassal states.
The Edo had their own flag and were trading with europeans as equals.
The british military invaded the Benin Kingdom in 1897, that is why the Benin Kingdom is part of Nigeria and remember that Edo state is only a small part of the Benin Kingdom. Here is a video and some pre-colonial maps of the Benin Kingdom.
I don't know why yoruba are so obsessed with claiming everything Edo. Let us be for God's sake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IlUMUGUorw

Some ancient maps of Benin Kingdom:

This one dates to around 1699:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595525w/f1.item.r=Benin.zoom

An other map of Benin made in the 17th century once again:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b530530714.r=Benin?rk=214593;2

An other map of Benin from the 17th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595583b.r=Benin?rk=193134;0

This one date to the 19th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8469390z/f1.item.r=Benin.zoom

An other map from the 17th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595527q/f1.item.r=Benin.zoom

1 Like

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Nobody: 7:59pm On Dec 25, 2017
In your dreams only.
macof:

1 Like

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Nobody: 8:04pm On Dec 25, 2017
Thank you sir, yoruba are seriously getting on Edo nerves with their constant attaempts at rewriting Edo history.
They have claimed that they are the ones who taught us Edo how to do our art, they have claimed that Omo n'Oba n'Edo is from ile ife, they have claimed thatthe capital of the Benin Kingdom is from ile ife, they have claimed that Benin monarch speakS yoruba in his royal court, they have claimed that Lagos was founded by people from ife, it is just claim after claim. Now they are claiming that Akoko-Edo are yoruba not Edo !?
They even tried to claim ijaw, it is getting tiring as the yoruba seem very confused and willing to force their confusion on everybody else.

Redoil:
i put it to you that they are not from Yoruba land. Yoruba people know ho to re write history to make it look as if every other tribe arround them are from Yoruba.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Nobody: 8:15pm On Dec 25, 2017
yoruba it is time to stop this nonesense.
Stop claiming Northern Edo, they are Edo, not yoruba.
Actually stop claiming people all together, just let others be, we can't all be derived from ife.
Just keep your ife stories for yourselves and leave my Edo people out of it, we want none of it.
Stop claiming Benin City, Benin CIty is Edo, it is the capital of Benin Kingdom. We are not Yoruba, we are Edo !
go and claim illorin instead.
Just leave Edo people alone, is that too much to ask ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by macof(m): 11:47pm On Dec 25, 2017
Probz:

Igarra’s not Igala. More akin to Ebira.
wait! Really? I thought the person I replied was referring to Igala
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by macof(m): 11:48pm On Dec 25, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Igarra is different from Igala.
grin I have a habit of thinking of "igara" the Yoruba name for the Igala

My bad

1 Like

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Deadlytruth(m): 11:53pm On Dec 25, 2017
macof:

You obviously don't know that Igarra (Etuno) is different from Igala.
Igarra refers to a town in Edo State and has no linguistic affinity with Igala in Kogi State. They are totally different from each other, so don't confuse them at all. It is like assuming that a village in Delta State called Ashaka is inhabited by Hausa-Fulanis just because there is another village named Ashaka too in Funakaye LGA of Gombe State. It doesn't work that way. In fact there is a town named Igara in Brazil but is not in any way related to Igarra in Edo State Nigeria.
Igalas speak Igala Language which has a lot of Yoruba variants in it. But Igarras speak Etuno Language which has nothing to do with Yoruba as you have already seen above.

2 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by macof(m): 12:00am On Dec 26, 2017
Deadlytruth:

You obviously don't know that Igarra (Etuno) is different from Igala.
Igarra refers to a town in Edo State and has no linguistic affinity with Igala in Kogi State. They are totally different from each other, so don't confuse them at all.
Igalas speak Igala Language which has a lot of Yoruba variants in it. But Igarras speak Etuno Language which has nothing to do with Yoruba as you have already seen above.
You are right, I confused them because i had forgotten the earlier discussion on the thread from long ago
Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by macof(m): 12:16am On Dec 26, 2017
historyworld031:
You are not being reasonable, the name of the people is AKOKO-EDO ! And you are claiming that they are not Edo.
I don't know if you guys are aware but the entire Edo state is part of the Benin Kingdom !
Would you guys please stop trying to make yourselves spokesmen for the cultures of people you know nothing about !
Will yoruba ever stop claiming our Edo people through the backdoor ?

the name of the people is generally Akoko.
"Edo" is simply added to distinguish the area from akoko-ondo politically not cultural; there's enough cultural and linguistic diversity within Akoko as a whole.

So "Akoko-edo" is modern Nigerian administrative protocol. And the area was not part of the Bini kingdom, part of the empire yes, but not Kingdom, and the empire doesn't exist anymore, Akoko-edo people answer to "Akoko" not Bini. P.s even Esan people are not part of Bini kingdom

Akoko area contains actual edoid, yoruboid, egbira and even it's very own Akoko(independent from others) dialects or languages
These core Akoko independent dialects are what I'm talking about not Edoid or Etunu languages

Please leave my mentions cause you have nothing to contribute to this entire culture section

2 Likes

Re: A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State by Nobody: 1:24am On Dec 26, 2017
Prove your claims.
You claim that their name is not AKOKO-EDO, then prove it.
You really have to take a look at the pre-colonial maps before saying such and such place was not part of the Benin Kingdom.
The entire Edo state was a small part of the Benin Kingdom.
The likes of you just keep confusing Benin Kingdom with its capital (Benin City).
And claiming that the Benin empire no longer exists is nonsensical, the people of the empire are still alive, the empire is not any less existing than your ife village or the sokoto caliphate. I know that you yorubas are very busy claiming bits after bits of the Benin empire with the usual "you be yoruba, you dey come from ife".
I just keep wondering why yoruba just have this incredible vanity to think that they know us Edo better than we know ourselves.
You don't even base your "knowledge" on scientific nor histoical facts but on some yoruba story tellers tales or on your personal emotions.
Hear what the Esan princes have to say about Omo n'Oba n'Edo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MqF5JhgX0g
You have to understand this, we Edo are one people with one king: Omo n'Oba n'Edo.
Can you imagine your arrogance ?
I actually wonder if you do know that the expression "Oba of Benin" is actually not the real title of the Oba, his real title is "Omo n'Oba n'Edo". One fact which I doubt you ever knew. Also I doubt that you actually knew that the name of the people of the Benin Kingdom is Edo.
And stop this foolish "analysis" about language, we all speak english today, does that make us british ?
People learn other languages in order to interact with other peoples (trade, conquest, marrage ...)
By the way, when my Dad was in the army, he learnt haussa, are you going to claim that he is partly haussa now ?
Jamaicans speak english, does that make them british ?
The irish speak english, does that make them englishmen ?
The problem with you macof is that your intellect is very small. You don't know what in hell you are talking about, you can't reason, all you can do is parrot others.

macof:
the name of the people is generally Akoko.
"Edo" is simply added to distinguish the area from akoko-ondo politically not cultural; there's enough cultural and linguistic diversity within Akoko as a whole.

So "Akoko-edo" is modern Nigerian administrative protocol. And the area was not part of the Bini kingdom, part of the empire yes, but not Kingdom, and the empire doesn't exist anymore, Akoko-edo people answer to "Akoko" not Bini. P.s even Esan people are not part of Bini kingdom

Akoko area contains actual edoid, yoruboid, egbira and even it's very own Akoko(independent from others) dialects or languages
These core Akoko independent dialects are what I'm talking about not Edoid or Etunu languages

Please leave my mentions cause you have nothing to contribute to this entire culture section

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Adeyemi & His Wives At His Daughter's wedding (Photos) / “The Next Ooni Will Not Eat Sijuwade’s Heart” - Ife Chief / The Beauty Of Northern Nigerian Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.