Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,649 members, 7,801,891 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:07 AM

Are Traditionalist/Cultural Conservatives And Boko Haram Fighting The Same War? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are Traditionalist/Cultural Conservatives And Boko Haram Fighting The Same War? (1277 Views)

Should A Traditionalist Rule In Nigeria? / Ooni Ogunwusi Unveils Logo Of The Yoruba Cultural Carnival Worldwide / Cross Cultural Marriage:interesting Tweets From White Lady Married To A Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Traditionalist/Cultural Conservatives And Boko Haram Fighting The Same War? by AAinEqGuinea: 12:01pm On Jan 17, 2015
Is Boko haram, whose name loosely translates to "western education is sin", seeking the same social proposition as Traditionalists, dissimilar only in brutish means to obtain such objective?

Many Africans take pride in preserving culture, but how extreme is the advocacy before one is siding with objectives Boko haram is also believing it is fighting for?

This question isn't intented to take advantage of associating traditionalist minds with the same social stigma as Boko haram, nor is it a forceful interpretation framing traditionalists' advancements as "western education".
Re: Are Traditionalist/Cultural Conservatives And Boko Haram Fighting The Same War? by Nobody: 5:59am On Jan 18, 2015
AAinEqGuinea:
Is Boko haram, whose name loosely translates to "western education is sin", seeking the same social proposition as Traditionalists, dissimilar only in brutish means to obtain such objective?

Many Africans take pride in preserving culture, but how extreme is the advocacy before one is siding with objectives Boko haram is also believing it is fighting for?

This question isn't intented to take advantage of associating traditionalist minds with the same social stigma as Boko haram, nor is it a forceful interpretation framing traditionalists' advancements as "western education".
I believe so. (Now I do not support religious extremism of any kind.)

The only difference is that the cultural emancipation they are fighting for is also religious.

Am sorry to say that this is the war of the future. Idealistic war against globalization. The US & Co calls it threat to their "values." It is.

2 Likes

Re: Are Traditionalist/Cultural Conservatives And Boko Haram Fighting The Same War? by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:31am On Mar 31, 2015
Traditionalists are fighting a war?

where?

make i join them. *smh

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Traditionalist/Cultural Conservatives And Boko Haram Fighting The Same War? by Fulaman198(m): 7:09am On Mar 31, 2015
AAinEqGuinea:

Boko Haram doesn't mean "Western Education is sin". That's definitely not the Hausa translation (in fact it was mis-translated). In any case, thats besides the point.

Boko Haram are a group of illiterates and terrorists that are not fighting for tradition or Islam. They have killed so many Muslims in the NE region where I am from, they have also killed many people of different ethnic and religious backgrounds.

Keep in mind that there is no such thing as "Western Education" it's a total misnomer and many people are brainwashed into thinking that education was "created in the West".

Muslim scholars in the 10th and 11 centuries in Timbuktu (present-day Mali) were studying Astronomy, so how can these philosophers who knew nothing about the West or the then backwards Western world be studying "Western Education".

2 Likes

Re: Are Traditionalist/Cultural Conservatives And Boko Haram Fighting The Same War? by AAinEqGuinea: 9:16pm On Mar 31, 2015
Fulaman198:

Boko Haram doesn't mean "Western Education is sin". That's definitely not the Hausa translation (in fact it was mis-translated). In any case, thats besides the point.

Boko Haram are a group of illiterates and terrorists that are not fighting for tradition or Islam. They have killed so many Muslims in the NE region where I am from, they have also killed many people of different ethnic and religious backgrounds.

Keep in mind that there is no such thing as "Western Education" it's a total misnomer and many people are brainwashed into thinking that education was "created in the West".

Muslim scholars in the 10th and 11 centuries in Timbuktu (present-day Mali) were studying Astronomy, so how can these philosophers who knew nothing about the West or the then backwards Western world be studying "Western Education".

It's the use of prominent religion to impose governance on the Free will of others. B.H is peculiarly considered "more extreme" but if a human can be imprisoned or subjected to any form of penalty by a governing body for simply exercising free will, these sanctions are equally extreme, in my opinion.

Let's consider Prostitution as an example, an act between to two consenting adults. It is often assumed that "illegal" or "immoral" behavior exists collinearly with the act, which helps to curry mass support (potentially from a religious populace as well) shaming and criminalizing all parties involved. Marriage is a religious construct, male/female relations out of wedlock is an abomination stemming from religious constructs... Yet there exists no other reasons to object to the act considering it is also a victim-less crime, similarity with drug enforcement, and anti-lgbt laws. We may have our own personal objections, but should we let our preferences infringe on the free will of others around us?

It's interesting that the bible's 10 commandments regarding human conduct only instructs humans to NOT infringe on others, but today certain interpretations of the bible's gospels will have leaders and a populace using their beliefs to criminalize or sanction someone, similar BH does this to justify their killing of individuals only lacking of a process.
Re: Are Traditionalist/Cultural Conservatives And Boko Haram Fighting The Same War? by Fulaman198(m): 9:47pm On Mar 31, 2015
AAinEqGuinea:

It's the use of prominent religion to impose governance on the Free will of others. B.H is peculiarly considered "more extreme" but if a human can be imprisoned or subjected to any form of penalty by a governing body for simply exercising free will, these sanctions are equally extreme, in my opinion.

Let's consider Prostitution as an example, an act between to two consenting adults. It is often assumed that "illegal" or "immoral" behavior exists collinearly with the act, which helps to curry mass support (potentially from a religious populace as well) shaming and criminalizing all parties involved. Marriage is a religious construct, male/female relations out of wedlock is an abomination stemming from religious constructs... Yet there exists no other reasons to object to the act considering it is also a victim-less crime, similarity with drug enforcement, and anti-lgbt laws. We may have our own personal objections, but should we let our preferences infringe on the free will of others around us?

It's interesting that the bible's 10 commandments regarding human conduct only instructs humans to NOT infringe on others, but today certain interpretations of the bible's gospels will have leaders and a populace using their beliefs to criminalize or sanction someone, similar BH does this to justify their killing of individuals only lacking of a process.

I understand what you are saying, but Boko Haram have never been in the right. There is no where in the Qur'an that justifies their actions.

As aformentioned, they are just evil-spirited people that are looking for excuses to kill others
Re: Are Traditionalist/Cultural Conservatives And Boko Haram Fighting The Same War? by macof(m): 9:59pm On Apr 01, 2015
Fulaman198:

I understand what you are saying, but Boko Haram have never been in the right. There is no where in the Qur'an that justifies their actions.

As aformentioned, they are just evil-spirited people that are looking for excuses to kill others

In my observations, boko haram is a jihadist group that seeks to create a caliphate of Islam out of the old Kanem-borno empire
Re: Are Traditionalist/Cultural Conservatives And Boko Haram Fighting The Same War? by Aniekwe1: 10:08pm On Apr 01, 2015
Re: Are Traditionalist/Cultural Conservatives And Boko Haram Fighting The Same War? by Fulaman198(m): 12:11am On Apr 02, 2015
macof:

In my observations, boko haram is a jihadist group that seeks to create a caliphate of Islam out of the old Kanem-borno empire

That's very possible as Book Haram are predominantly Kanuri. However, whatever they are doing has absolutely nothing to do with Islam even though the Boko I'd.iots say they are fighting for it.

They just seek to destroy.
Re: Are Traditionalist/Cultural Conservatives And Boko Haram Fighting The Same War? by Fulaman198(m): 12:20am On Apr 02, 2015
Aniekwe1:

So what does BH actually mean? It would be interesting to know.

Anyway if theyre not fighting in the name of any of the things you mentioned - although they would say they definitely are- then what would you say they are fighting for?

They have killed Muslims in your region I assume because they disagree with them as did that (was it an Emir? I cant remember) who they tried to blow up at a mosque, not realising that he was out of the country at the time. For them, that these people disagree with them puts them out of the realm of "true believers". So in their eyes they are still "fighting for Islam" even if you don't think so.

Well Boko in itself is some kind of foreign script or writing, like Latin alphabet is Boko for example to the region. Or something that isn't of the regions roots is termed as 'Boko'.

They are fighting for their self-interests and for their own personal gain. They are wreaking havoc and mischief. There is no real reason behind their actions, but you can tell that they are not mentally stable.

If they actually took the time to become educated, they wouldn't be trying to kill others to justify their own shortcomings and illiteracy.

It's really a big shame because their murderous actions prevented a lot in the North East from voting (though I don't think much would have changed anyways.)

To prevent Boko Haram and others like them from flourishing, we really need to fight off the evil called corruption. Chad has really made fools out of us over the past few weeks.
Re: Are Traditionalist/Cultural Conservatives And Boko Haram Fighting The Same War? by AAinEqGuinea: 6:20am On Apr 02, 2015
PAGAN9JA:
Traditionalists are fighting a war?

where?

make i join them. *smh

Geographical disparities may explain us having different interpretations of traditionalist [/i]or [i] conservatism ..

U.S. and the Americas were imbued by Christianity during its intrusive advent, subsequently forced on African slaves, and once used a tool to measure assimilation among new immigrants. The country's history has been known to allow Christians' grotesques interpretation of the Bible to kill those suspected of being an enemy of doctrine, the US has had its witchhunts. Today, however, the country continues this battle on more political battleground, echoing the remnants of the religious extremists who are still around. This month two US states have attempted to enact laws in which businesses can discriminate on who to serve based on a business's religious preference. This is huge step backwards for the country which claims it is beyond the historical wounds that religion and other social constructs has caused. Legislation of this kind welcomes the slippery slope of discrimination of anyone, if disdain for a certain race, gender, religion is the business owner's religious preference.

Indiana
Arkansas

For Nigeria, I see the same battle ensuing. There are occasions where FP has a story of ritualists committing acts of violence exercising their beliefs. BH's proclamation of Islam may seem misguided to many, but BH is not the only group of Islamic extremists today who violently profess their faith. BH is not an isolated case of extremism for us to believe that the group's advocacy makes them the sole lost fish in the waters of misinterpretation. To BH, they are reinforcing a cultural shield from western influences, so it is claimed, and violence is their means of execution. Religion meeting Modernity in Nigeria as well, innocent people are dying while in the battle's cross-hairs. Jonathan signed similar legislation heard around the world, potentially jailing people for living a lifestyle. Where did Jonathan's idea stem from; it is safe to assume some Religious interpretation.
Re: Are Traditionalist/Cultural Conservatives And Boko Haram Fighting The Same War? by Aniekwe1: 11:14am On Apr 02, 2015
Fulaman198:

Well Boko in itself is some kind of foreign script or writing, like Latin alphabet is Boko for example to the region. Or something that isn't of the regions roots is termed as 'Boko'.

They are fighting for their self-interests and for their own personal gain. They are wreaking havoc and mischief. There is no real reason behind their actions, but you can tell that they are not mentally stable.

If they actually took the time to become educated, they wouldn't be trying to kill others to justify their own shortcomings and illiteracy.

It's really a big shame because their murderous actions prevented a lot in the North East from voting (though I don't think much would have changed anyways.)

To prevent Boko Haram and others like them from flourishing, we really need to fight off the evil called corruption. Chad has really made fools out of us over the past few weeks.

Lol, they have co-ordinated over 10 successful attacks in the past two years. I doubt that they are mentally instable. Immoral, yes. But their brains are just fine. They know exactly what they're doing.
Re: Are Traditionalist/Cultural Conservatives And Boko Haram Fighting The Same War? by macof(m): 3:29pm On Apr 02, 2015
Fulaman198:

That's very possible as Book Haram are predominantly Kanuri. However, whatever they are doing has absolutely nothing to do with Islam even though the Boko I'd.iots say they are fighting for it.

They just seek to destroy.

Are you saying there's nothing Islamic about Almoravid Caliphate, Sokoto caliphate and many more
Isil, Boko haram want the same thing - an Islamic state to boost the spread of Islam
It's hard not see them as Islamic fighters

1 Like

Re: Are Traditionalist/Cultural Conservatives And Boko Haram Fighting The Same War? by Fulaman198(m): 3:38pm On Apr 02, 2015
macof:

Are you saying there's nothing Islamic about Almoravid Caliphate, Sokoto caliphate and many more
Isil, Boko haram want the same thing - an Islamic state to boost the spread of Islam
It's hard not see them as Islamic fighters

Boko Haram doesn't want the same thing. They are killing for the sake of killing. They kill indiscriminately and seem to take joy in committing barbarous acts. Boko Haram are trouble makers, they don't want an Islamic state because what they do is not of Islam. What they want is a state of Anarchy.
Re: Are Traditionalist/Cultural Conservatives And Boko Haram Fighting The Same War? by macof(m): 10:53am On Apr 03, 2015
Fulaman198:

Boko Haram doesn't want the same thing. They are killing for the sake of killing. They kill indiscriminately and seem to take joy in committing barbarous acts. Boko Haram are trouble makers, they don't want an Islamic state because what they do is not of Islam. What they want is a state of Anarchy.
I doubt if anybody would kill for the sake of killing. People always have a cause, a goal they are fighting for which might not go well with many...but that doesn't make them less humans fighting for what they believe in
Whether state of anarchy or not, there's a reason

But what's then difference between boko haram and Isil? After all Shekau has pledged allegiance to Isil

1 Like

Re: Are Traditionalist/Cultural Conservatives And Boko Haram Fighting The Same War? by AAinEqGuinea: 4:38pm On Apr 03, 2015
Not singling out Islam but in the last 24hours the world was again reminded of the domineering effect of radical religiosity

April 02, 2015 - Over 150 killed at Kenya university by Al-Shabaab

According to witnesses gunmen polled potential victims "If you were a Christian you were shot on the spot". Victims were reportedly shot in the back of head.

Not the first time this happened...

October 2013 - 67 killed at Kenya's Westgate Mall

SAME pathological killings - gunmen posed trivial Quran questions to potential victims, if unable to answer the questions to gunmans' pleasing the hostages were killed.

BH may appear to have killed indiscriminately, but BH, like Al-Shabaab were instructed to kill less Muslims but more Christians to have their cell inducted within the ranks of Al-Qaida. As long it is known that each group cause mass civil unrest to ultimately reach some objective, they will aim to kill less Muslim but more non-Muslims.

B.H and Al-shabaab are lower, more direct illustrations of men drunk off religion which severely affects others Free will. There are no exceptions when gov't entities use religion influence to affect free will, blurring the lines between and free will and being treated as a criminal. I'll be watchful and critical of Buhari here.

They're fighting the same war..

(1) (Reply)

FACTS: Why Jews Are So Smart / Biafra: Igbo Vs Niger Delta Migration In 100years Time (photos) / Idea Adopted By American Rapper Thug (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.