Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,357 members, 7,780,967 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:33 AM

Samsung In Talks To Acquire Blackberry For $7.5 Billion - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Samsung In Talks To Acquire Blackberry For $7.5 Billion (1046 Views)

MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv / Samsung In New Partnership With Microsoft / Samsung Seeks To Acquire Blackberry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Samsung In Talks To Acquire Blackberry For $7.5 Billion by zeepatoprick(m): 5:46pm On Jan 18, 2015
Samsung is reportedly in talks with
BlackBerry on a $7.5 billion deal, even
though spokespeople at Seoul and Ontario
both claim no talks are presently
happening.
First reported by Reuters, Samsung is
interested in BlackBerry’s rather lucrative
enterprise patents, which Samsung could
use in patent battles against Apple, IBM and
any other enterprise company looking to
lock them out the battle.
Both Samsung and BlackBerry have
enterprise level applications, although
BlackBerry (formerly RIM) also has patents
regarding networking, wireless equipment
and hardware, something Samsung lacks.
The acquisition would give Samsung control
of a high-profile messaging app, BlackBerry
Messenger (BBM), something the South
Korean giant has reportedly been searching
for since late-2014.
BlackBerry has an excellent selection of
enterprise applications and services, and
should Samsung acquire the company it will
integrate these services into the KNOX
security platform, built specifically for
business customers.
Samsung will also grab hold of the Passport,
Classic and other smartphone brands,
which might be useful in the business
market where the Galaxy S5 and Note 4 are
not extremely popular.
The move reminds us of a very similar move
by Google in 2011 for Motorola Mobility’s
patents, only to find out it had spent $12.5
billion on cheap patents and a company
running at an operating loss. It sold the
mobile division to Lenovo in 2014 for $2.91
billion, allowing Lenovo a path into the U.S.
mobile market.
BlackBerry might become more than just a
patent company if Samsung acquires it, but
the number is $7.5 billion, almost 50
percent over the stock price for the
Canadian based smartphone manufacturer
currently.
Stock rose to a third of the original price
when hearing news about a Samsung
takeover, but quickly dipped following
denials from both companies. It is not the
first time Samsung has been linked to a
BlackBerry sale, but before the new CEO Jon
Chen, Samsung could not agree to a price.
Lenovo was another potential BlackBerry
buyer back in 2014, but things did not work
out between the two companies.
Re: Samsung In Talks To Acquire Blackberry For $7.5 Billion by Randerl: 5:54pm On Jan 18, 2015
Ok.

Combinatiön of a strong manufacturing tradition, smartware.z and a solid enterprise security platforms.
Re: Samsung In Talks To Acquire Blackberry For $7.5 Billion by ramdris(m): 5:58pm On Jan 18, 2015
I think I will wait a while bfre buying my z30 bb.
Re: Samsung In Talks To Acquire Blackberry For $7.5 Billion by zeepatoprick(m): 6:24pm On Jan 18, 2015
Samsung is feeling the heat of competition, a smart move by them...
Re: Samsung In Talks To Acquire Blackberry For $7.5 Billion by Jboy8844(m): 10:06pm On Jan 18, 2015
well, they should just try and do something about the battery capacity of blackberry.....
Re: Samsung In Talks To Acquire Blackberry For $7.5 Billion by nefertiitii: 1:26am On Jan 19, 2015
Nice move
Re: Samsung In Talks To Acquire Blackberry For $7.5 Billion by jerflakes(m): 3:16am On Jan 19, 2015
SEEE AS MOTOROLLA DEFRAUD A WHOLE GOOGLE.

1 Like

Re: Samsung In Talks To Acquire Blackberry For $7.5 Billion by Cool83(m): 9:55am On Jan 19, 2015
Nice move,hope it will lead to quality service
Re: Samsung In Talks To Acquire Blackberry For $7.5 Billion by Youngzedd(m): 1:36pm On Jan 19, 2015
The fear of Xiaomi.

They should better buckle up.
Re: Samsung In Talks To Acquire Blackberry For $7.5 Billion by Goahead(m): 3:09pm On Jan 19, 2015
In my opinion Blackberry does not worth that amountlipsrsealed
Re: Samsung In Talks To Acquire Blackberry For $7.5 Billion by martineverest(m): 9:43pm On Jan 19, 2015
Patents worth more than d hardware....google bought motorola at 12billion dollars and sold it to lenovo at 3billion.......the difference of 9billion is d patent which google retained
Goahead:
In my opinion Blackberry does not worth that amountlipsrsealed
Re: Samsung In Talks To Acquire Blackberry For $7.5 Billion by zeepatoprick(m): 10:33pm On Jan 19, 2015
Youngzedd:
The fear of Xiaomi.

They should better buckle up.

Xiaomi is now the third largest smartphone maker in the
world followed by Lenovo and LG at fourth and fifth place respectively. Samsung remains at the first place despite declining
shipment volume, followed by Apple Inc. at second place.

Xiaomi products are manufactured by FOXCONN.. Foxconn is the world's largest electronics contractor manufacturer, Notable products that the company manufactures include the BlackBerry,iPad, iPhone, Kindle,
PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Wii U.
If u doubt me ask google.. So they should be worried.
Re: Samsung In Talks To Acquire Blackberry For $7.5 Billion by Elsquidme(m): 4:53pm On Jan 20, 2015
zeepatoprick:

Xiaomi is now the third largest smartphone maker in the
world followed by Lenovo and LG at fourth and fifth place respectively. Samsung remains at the first place despite declining
shipment volume, followed by Apple Inc. at second place.

Xiaomi products are manufactured by FOXCONN.. Foxconn is the world's largest electronics contractor manufacturer, Notable products that the company manufactures include the BlackBerry,iPad, iPhone, Kindle,
PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Wii U.
If u doubt me ask google.. So they should be worried.
me gree for that one, no need to ask Google but for others, they can. not only mobile phone products but also computer products from dextop to laptops they do manufacture.

(1) (Reply)

5 Things Galaxy S6 Can Do That The Iphone 6 Can’t -TechRez / My Iphone 4s Is Disabled Because I Forgot My Code / Is This Possible?!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.