Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,792 members, 7,802,516 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:42 PM

Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures (213747 Views)

Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria / Green House Tomato Production / Cassava Production And Processed Products Made From Cassava (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Pavore9: 9:20pm On Jan 19, 2015
Liferace:
please who are the target market for those kind of tomatoes in shoprite and Spa?...and why is it so expensive?
lt is for ajebutters.

5 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by nikaShow(m): 9:29pm On Jan 19, 2015
Its amazing to see farmers share their experiences like this !

Jehtro , God bless you...and be confident that you are inspiring many of we younger-aspiring farmers !

4 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jeffmyson(m): 9:31pm On Jan 19, 2015
jethro2:
We have been discussing and exchanging ideas on the first type of market which i refered to as Open or general market.
Now the second type of market which I termed standard market.
I first heard of this type of market from the Pacesetter farms.
They produce tomatoes to supply Shoprite at Ibadan at N400 per kilo.
Once in a week they supply 500kg.

Hmmmnn. You wonder
What makes the market unique
1. The packaging and specifications are given by the buyers. Most cases a perforated paper cartons with label such as
1. Name of producers,
2. Day of harvest
3. Size in kilo
4. Weight etc
The tomatoes are also sorted out in Sizes and quality
Like earlier said, this kind of market demands for quality and consistence in supply.
This type of markets are Shopeites, hotels and restaurants, grocery stores, Spars. Eateries etc
Before you can supply, there must have been an agreement signed to be consistence in supply and to always bring quality.

Imagining you having just 10 of those network to supply throughout the year.
With time we may have to so some estimated counting's of all the standard hotels.
52 weeks in a year
500kg for 10 network gives 5000kg
52 multiply by 5000 gives 260,000kg in a year
Then lets assume we get to supply at N200
260,000 multiply by N200.
Do the maths yourself ?
But as usual, its easier said than done
e easy for paper to calculate roi
On a more serious note.
Have you wonder where these group of markets are getting their supply from?
Off course we all know they don't patronize the local farmers.
Nor did they source from mile 12 market
Guess what?
They import.
Import?
Yes vegetables and fruits are daily imported into Nigeria from other African countries

Supermarkets (Shoprite, Spar) will only buy tomatoes that are of same size, colour and variety. Most Nigerian suppliers are not able to offer this because it requires a lot of sophistication to be able to offer the spec they need. Another factor is that most Nigerian tomatoes are open field farmed and deteriorate easily as soon as harvested. For tomatoes to last 2 to 3 weeks they must be harvested before they ripe and artificially ripened in a ripening room using a controlled method that preserve them.

We are still a long way from south africa and kenya who have developed an organized way to run successful vegetable farms.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 9:39pm On Jan 19, 2015
Kalusam:
I am following keenly because I know how important this is to me ATM.
Hmnnnn. See farmers
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 9:43pm On Jan 19, 2015
Liferace:
please who are the target market for those kind of tomatoes in shoprite and Spa?...and why is it so expensive?
The Ajebutters as my Oga Pavore rightly said. Nigerians are beginning to demand for quality. They are now concerned about their health. They are concerned of how their food are produce.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 9:50pm On Jan 19, 2015
Pavore9:
l have always had preference for d standard market option though it involves a lot of work to standardize one's operation bt once u scale through, d reward worths it. l have helped packaged organic strawberry & saw cheques change hands, it worth it!
The end actually justify the means. It requires lot of work and scaling through. But like you said its worth the effort
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 9:51pm On Jan 19, 2015
nikaShow:
Its amazing to see farmers share their experiences like this !

Jehtro , God bless you...and be confident that you are inspiring many of we younger-aspiring farmers !
Thank you so much
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 9:56pm On Jan 19, 2015
That's where the hard work comes in.
Quality and standard needs to be met
Consistence supply is another factor
Durability of vegetable is also considered

I believe we are getting there. A problem shared they say is half solved. Also once one knows he has a problem then finding solution will not be difficult.
jeffmyson:

Supermarkets (Shoprite, Spar) will only buy tomatoes that are of same size, colour and variety. Most Nigerian suppliers are not able to offer this because it requires a lot of sophistication to be able to offer the spec they need. Another factor is that most Nigerian tomatoes are open field farmed and deteriorate easily as soon as harvested. For tomatoes to last 2 to 3 weeks they must be harvested before they ripe and artificially ripened in a ripening room using a controlled method that preserve them.

We are still a long way from south africa and kenya who have developed an organized way to run successful vegetable farms.

4 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 10:10pm On Jan 19, 2015
Back to my story.
I got 2 hectares of land. Gave some money to my friend to purchase seed.
(I never even bother to ask for the seed name or variety). I was banking on the fact that since she claimed to have been in the farm then i am with an expert.
I knew virtually nothing about tomato planting. When I say nothing i meant a complete novice
But one thing stand out " My brain was always calculating the millions of naira to be realised" . Based on this I buried myself into tomato planting.
Since I am following a suppose expert in Tomato, my next occupation is taking instruction on the phone on all methods and system to be used.
The first set of seeds never survive the nursery. Its either it does not germinates and those that germinate died in the nursery
We kept buying different types of seed. Please don't ask me for the seed names for i don't know.
I was only interested in achieving my millions

22 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Nobody: 7:15am On Jan 20, 2015
Thanks for this great post OP.

My question is " how good is the market for dehydrated (dried) tomato"?.

Thanks once again.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 8:05am On Jan 20, 2015
TheLight001:
Thanks for this great post OP.

My question is " how good is the market for dehydrated (dried) tomato"?.

Thanks once again.
I don't know the market for it yet.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 8:34am On Jan 20, 2015
Our first nursery was in the month of March with the target market of the month of June July.
We kept applying so many fertilizers eg NPK, cocoa boost and some other names i will never get to know.
At some stages we make use of liquid soap and aspirin.
Aspirin? Yes the normal aspirin that you and i take.
This are all in the bid to save the nursery plants.
All this while, I was still following my tomato teachers instruction.
Then one day my farm manager said " The farmers in the village has been planting tomato for ages without using any fertilizer or whatever from nursery, probably all these things we are applying are the ones affecting the nursery"
Wow. Being someone open to suggestion, I gave him the go ahead. Actually i said " Do it your own way".
And then the nursery survives.
Meanwhile we are in the month of May.
May is one of the peak month for tomato market.
I was receiving daily market price that made my heart bleeds.
The big basket was sold for N14,000 at some time.
By the time my tomatoes were out. I could barely sold at N4,000.
Even at that transportation to market now rear its ugly head

7 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jan 20, 2015
jethro2:

I don't know the market for it yet.

Ok, thanks.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by nikaShow(m): 7:19am On Jan 21, 2015
Please ma , as much as you are answering people's question...
also continue your story ma ! We are eagerly reading !
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 10:19am On Jan 21, 2015
nikaShow:
Please ma , as much as you are answering people's question...
also continue your story ma ! We are eagerly reading !
I will do that sir. Its just that i have been in transit since Sunday. Thank you for reading

6 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 10:36am On Jan 21, 2015
TRANSPORTATION ISSUES
My first harvest from the tomato farm was a basket.
Yes a basket. 15kg size.
Is it worth taking to market?
Capital NO.
What did i do?
I don't have much choice. Its either i sell it at the prevailing price in my village. (You can imagine what that will be)
Or I chattered a 6 setter passenger seat to take it to market (Which will be the cheapest)
Or I dash the tomato out
Sure you are wondering "No be only one basket"
Hmnnnn. So Na dash i dash.
Subsequent harvest increase to 8 basket
Still I dash
The next one increase to 14 basket
I sent to our local market.
A basket then was sold for N500.
It was then it dawn on me that transportation and the yield of tomato harvest was not factor into my plan.

Mind you that basket at N500 should fetch me not less than N1500 if i could get it to some outside market.

Meanwhile I have heard so much about Mile 12 market but i have no link or connection. Remembered its run like a mafia group. It belongs to the Northerners

6 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 10:49am On Jan 21, 2015
Then i travelled to Lagos. I went home.
My place is Okokomaiko, along Bagagry express in Lagos.
(I gave the area to comprehend the distance to Mile 12 for those that knows Lagos)
I have a pally in my step mum. So i told her my plights.
Ahhh. There is one pepper seller in our neighbour hood. This woman goes to Mile 12 to source for pepper and tomato. She should be able to sell for you since you would have save her the stress and give a reasonable price. That was my step mum talking.
So we approached the woman.
Lo and behold she said we can bring.
She has people that can buy. Even if i bring trailers they will buy. She gave me a supposed sample basket from Mile 12 and the price from Mile 12.
She told me the same story i have heard several times
"They will not allow you bring in produce to mile 12. Even if they do, its the MamaLojas(market leaders) that will dictate price and collect from you"
Offcourse i have seen alternative why go to Mile 12?. I thought within me
Such a big relief.
Farm here i come.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Liferace: 10:54am On Jan 21, 2015
Wow...interesting...i love the spirit of entrepreneur in you!!its about not giving up until you get the desired result.Kudos to you!!

3 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 11:04am On Jan 21, 2015
Importance of Yield calculation with transportation.
When you plant one acre of tomatoes. The first harvest comes at 1 or 2 basket of 15kg. Subsequent ones begin to increase gradually. Your yield also depend on the seed for planting. (We will discuss the types of tomato and yield when the time comes)
Considering I am in a village that is 4 hours to Lagos. How do you take that to market?
Even if you are close to Lagos. O,e will still find it difficult transporting 1or fee basket to market.
The options you have us chattering a vehicle. The smallest commercial vehicles are those small golf that commercial people do force 4 passenger in.
If someone could ask me later how to overcome transportation problem then i will attend to that.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Liferace: 11:07am On Jan 21, 2015
Ofcourse, we will ask you everything..hehehehehe....HOW DO WE OVERCOME TRANSPORTATION WAHALA?lol And before we get to that i have few questions
1.can tomato farm be anywhere in Nigeria or does it require particular soil type?
2.From your experience is nursery really important?
3.Is there any other market aside from Mile 12 that can buy tomatoes at good price and for Mile 12 is there a particular quantity one must have before thinking that kind of market.?
4.How small/big can one start from that will worth it.?

Thanks and God bless

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 12:38pm On Jan 21, 2015
Liferace:
Ofcourse, we will ask you everything..hehehehehe....HOW DO WE OVERCOME TRANSPORTATION WAHALA?lol And before we get to that i have few questions
1.can tomato farm be anywhere in Nigeria or does it require particular soil type?
3.Is there any other market aside from Mile 12 that can buy tomatoes at good price and for Mile 12 is there a particular quantity one must have before thinking that kind of market.?

Thanks and God bless
1. Yes tomato can be planted everywhere in Nigeria. Some soil are good for it but i later learnt from my Ogas that you can treat the soil that are not good.
2. No nursery, No tomato. Extremely important
3. There are plenty markets for tomatoes. One needs to find it. If you are fortunate to have tomatoes during the peak period. Market will look for you.
You can take any quantity of tomatoes to mile 12 market. There is no limit
4. That 4th question get k leg. You ve got to learn the ropes. Know the in and out. Before deciding on how big or small you want to be involve

8 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 12:43pm On Jan 21, 2015
Liferace:

Thanks and God bless
Still attending to question 4
Someone could start big and mess it up while some one could start small and successfully build it up. its could be vice versa. There are lots of factors that affect production and marketing

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by felixzo1(m): 1:09pm On Jan 21, 2015
weldone bro.my respect for you have increased from today. when is it best to plant tomatoes and get a good price
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Liferace: 2:03pm On Jan 21, 2015
Jethro..thanks a lot.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by okych16(m): 2:41pm On Jan 21, 2015
What have I been doing in nairaland all this while... please is there a register for n winkairaland farmers cos I what to join... and thank you very much @Op. You are the best... all my dream this year is to go into agricultural, but I don't know where to start from, but this section of nairaland is opening my eyes gradually. Thanks to you all...still following.

7 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by glade319(m): 2:48pm On Jan 21, 2015
@Madam Jethro,great job u are doing here!!!impacting life.

YABDI........get involved.

2 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 2:54pm On Jan 21, 2015
felixzo1:
weldone bro.my respect for you have increased from today. when is it best to plant tomatoes and get a good price
A season farmer should plant all year round.
Reason.
Tomato prices flunctuates. But as long as you have produce you get to sell at profit be it in the season nor out of season. If one plant himself/herself, you must surely make profit.
Targeting market to plant is not advisable because the seeds might mess you up. pest and diseases could invade your farm. There are lots of uncontrollable factors

9 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 2:56pm On Jan 21, 2015
Liferace:
Jethro..thanks a lot.
You are welcome
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 2:59pm On Jan 21, 2015
okych16:
What have I been doing in nairaland all this while... please is there a register for n winkairaland farmers cos I what to join... and thank you very much @Op. You are the best... all my dream this year is to go into agricultural, but I don't know where to start from, but this section of nairaland is opening my eyes gradually. Thanks to you all...still following.
Lol. Information is power. Take good advantage of it so we can all make Nigeria a better place

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 3:00pm On Jan 21, 2015
glade319:

Yes we can
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 3:00pm On Jan 21, 2015
glade319:

Thank you.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 3:26pm On Jan 21, 2015
First obstacle on getting back to farm; No basket to take tomatoes to Lagos.
I deploy people out to go and buy basket for me.
I thought its going to be a walk over since i have the sample basket and offcourse village people will get some job if only for some time.
But its never to be
How?
There is no basket weaver in my own village
Wow¡¡¡
Then move to the next village I told my manager. And the next, and the next if need be.
Thank God for a motorcycle i bought when i first move in.( even though i cant ride, its serving a great purpose)
NOTE
Every body in the village owns one form of motorcycle or the other. Mobility is important even if na bicycle

A week running, only 20 basket despite that we have deposited some substantial amount with 3 basket weavers in 3 different villages.
" We went for egungun festival"
"Nobody to cut the palm frondfor me" an elderly man
Those were party of the excuses i have got to deal with.
Meanwhile basket price has increased since there is demand for it. Just do it was my response
Dont forget we have to harvest maximum of 7 days interval.
Lagos pepper seller was calling me to know when i will bring tomatoes
By the end of second week with about thirty something basket, I called the driver which i have bewn making arrangement with and said we are entering Lagos by wednesday night

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (39) (Reply)

Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Updated Price Of Grains And Location. / Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.