Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,518 members, 7,808,888 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:41 PM

What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? (34312 Views)

What does a lady mean when She Says "I Was There For Him" / What Do People Mean When They Say They Are "In An Open Relationship"? / What Does It Mean When Ladies Can't Look At A Guy Straight In The Eye? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by Djicemob: 2:45pm On Jan 19, 2015
Pardon my ignorance but i've been hearing and seeing this for quite a while now without really getting full grasp of what it actually entail.This is mostly common in social media platforms or dating sites.On people's profile,the column where you get to signify your relationship status,you find the phrase on some people's profile "I'm in an open relationship" instead of the conventional "i'm single" ,"i'm dating" or "i'm married".Could this be what am thinking? lipsrsealed

Relationship experts in the house,what's your take on this?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Jan 19, 2015
I think google can help out

7 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by ammyluv2002(f): 2:55pm On Jan 19, 2015
Test the waters 'two can play the game' grin

5 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by ronald4lif(m): 2:58pm On Jan 19, 2015
Open relationship means the person is in an unhappy or unstable relationship and is open to give someone better a try. Prolly don't want to let go of their present partner until a new and better person come into their life

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by Djicemob: 3:03pm On Jan 19, 2015
ammyluv2002:
Test the waters 'two can play the game' grin
The open relationship waters? I dont know what it entails but something tells me it might be exciting. cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jan 19, 2015
u r both in a relationship but r allowed to date outside as well. kapish?

17 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by Djicemob: 5:00pm On Jan 19, 2015
Prixus:
u r both in a relationship but r allowed to date outside as well. kapish?
More like a free pass.Or maybe a runs girl ID?
Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jan 19, 2015
Djicemob:
More like a free pass.Or maybe a runs girl ID?
free pass, yes. runs girl, nah...
Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by Djicemob: 5:18pm On Jan 19, 2015
Prixus:

free pass, yes. runs girl, nah...
True but i've been wondering,how would someone be in a relationship and still open to other relationships? What is the difference between a girl who does that and a runs girl or a boy who does that and a playboy? Semantics? cheesy

4 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jan 19, 2015
Djicemob:
True but i've been wondering,how would someone be in a relationship and still open to other relationships? What is the difference between a girl who does that and a runs girl or a boy who does that and a playboy? Semantics? cheesy
well it could just be semantics but d fundamental difference is that they both agree to it.

4 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by Djicemob: 5:21pm On Jan 19, 2015
ronald4lif:
Open relationship means the person is in an unhappy or unstable relationship and is open to give someone better a try. Prolly don't want to let go of their present partner until a new and better person come into their life
It only applies to people in "unhappy" or "unstable" relationships?
Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by Djicemob: 5:32pm On Jan 19, 2015
Prixus:

well it could just be semantics but d fundamental difference is that they both agree to it.
Do we say a person in an "open relationship must find his/her kind for it to work? Thats one Crazy relationship status if i must say.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by ronald4lif(m): 5:40pm On Jan 19, 2015
Djicemob:
It only applies to people in "unhappy" or "unstable" relationships?

I think so, there could be more to it. Also, it may not all be about being in an unhappy and unstable relationship. Someone could still be in a very happy and stable relationship but still be open for new dates, mainly for more financial and material gains in the case of women, for men it could be for more mind blowing sex. Others may disagree on this though

3 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by Djicemob: 5:48pm On Jan 19, 2015
ronald4lif:

I think so, there could be more to it. Also, it may not all be about being in an unhappy and unstable relationship. Someone could still be in a very happy and stable relationship but still be open for new dates, mainly for more financial and material gains in the case of women, for men it could be for more mind blowing sex. Others may disagree on this though
Before i created the post,i had this feeling that any girl that says she is in an open relationship is a runs girl,i MIGHT be right afterall.Well am waiting to see what the girls got to say concerning this.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jan 19, 2015
Djicemob:
Do we say a person in an "open relationship must find his/her kind for it to work? Thats one Crazy relationship status if i must say.
yes. sure. u must find a partner who agrees to it. it's not common but it's d best. of all d relationships a girl or guy will have in life only one leads to marriage so when u r still young y should u limit ursef to one partner who u will still break up with after a while? most girls nowadays by 20 hv had 3 or more bfs so who's deceiving who? there's no such thing as love btw such young one. so it's best to keep ur options open.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by jnrbayano(m): 6:17pm On Jan 19, 2015
Let's look at it this way,

....it's a "no holds barred" relationship. A relationship which has a dwarf fence around it.

...It's an unrestricted relationship. It's members are at liberty to flaunt it's rules of engagement and that's if there were any ab initio.

...It's an illusionized dating. The members interests (sex, money etc) date but their persons don't.

...An opportunistic dating. The perpetrators enjoy all the benefits in dating but they hate the committment side of it, which is the real deal.

...And yes, it deserves every bad name one calls it.

smiley

9 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by mzPtgemini: 6:18pm On Jan 19, 2015
an open relationship means they are not ready to commit and be exclusive.
it might be as a result of emotional instability on either or both sides and could also be a sign of immaturity. But either ways, its not a ship that leads to a good destination.
Two people should be together because they make each other happy!! undecided
Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by ronald4lif(m): 6:22pm On Jan 19, 2015
Djicemob:
Before i created the post,i had this feeling that any girl that says she is in an open relationship is a runs girl,i MIGHT be right afterall.Well am waiting to see what the girls got to say concerning this.

I am not sure you are right. I beg to differ not any/every girl in an open relationship is out for financial gratification. There are some who are in a relationship that has no focus or direction, or in an abusive relationship, so they are open to meeting someone who is focus, responsible, and treats them right. We don't expect a girl in her mid twenties and above to be in a relationship with an undergraduate or even a graduate who has refused to sit up and make his life useful, do we? A lady who's looking forward to settling down in a few years can't be faulted for wanting a defining relationship.

Also, I noticed you conveniently avoided guys who are in an open relationship for more mind blowing sex. Interesting really.

6 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by Stanpeed: 6:27pm On Jan 19, 2015
mzPtgemini:
an open relationship means they are not ready to commit and be exclusive it might be as a result of emotional instability on either or both sides and could also be a sign of immaturity. But either ways, its not a ship that leads to a good destination.
Nd if d only way 2 be happy is by being free nko? undecided
Dis gotta be a sweet syd to relationships.

Ps:Mods this space is not for sale
Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by DonaldGenes(m): 6:30pm On Jan 19, 2015
Djicemob:
Pardon my ignorance but i've been hearing and seeing this for quite a while now without really getting full grasp of what it actually entail.This is mostly common in social media platforms or dating sites.On people's profile,the column where you get to signify your relationship status,you find the phrase on some people's profile "I'm in an open relationship" instead of the conventional "i'm single" ,"i'm dating" or "i'm married".Could this be what am thinking? lipsrsealed

Relationship experts in the house,what's your take on this?

It means being Nak.ed in your Romantic dealings with your spouse-just being hysterically explicit
Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by Djicemob: 6:52pm On Jan 19, 2015
ronald4lif:

I am not sure you are right. I beg to differ not any/every girl in an open relationship is out for financial gratification. There are some who are in a relationship that has no focus or direction, or in an abusive relationship, so they are open to meeting someone who is focus, responsible, and treats them right. We don't expect a girl in her mid twenties and above to be in a relationship with an undergraduate or even a graduate who has refused to sit up and make his life useful, do we? A lady who's looking forward to settling down in a few years can't be faulted for wanting a defining relationship.

Also, I noticed you conveniently avoided guys who are in an open relationship for more mind blowing sex. Interesting really.
Well you are spot on,however what i don't get is why would someone be in an open relationship? If you feel you are not ok with the relationship and you are not getting what you want,why not take a walk? why give your initial partner the illusion that you are with him or her? Is that not 'eating your cake and having it'? You are either single,dating or married.The idea of being in an open relationship gives a morally bad name to romance,relationship or whoever practice such, dont you think so? What is bad is bad,i guess someone wanted to give a sugar-coated or stylish name to something morally bad to present it in a good light hence the fanciful "open relationship phrase".

Well,like i said in a previous post,i see guys in open relationships as playboys and they are not exonerated away from this relationship vice...i think.

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by Djicemob: 7:00pm On Jan 19, 2015
mzPtgemini:
an open relationship means they are not ready to commit and be exclusive it might be as a result of emotional instability on either or both sides and could also be a sign of immaturity. But either ways, its not a ship that leads to a good destination.
True,Should we look at this people who are not ready to commit and are free to date as much as they like as being in a good relationship? This is a no-string attached relationship where anything goes,right? In my own little layman's language,cant i call a girl who practice such as "runs-girl" and the guy a "playboy"?
Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by mzPtgemini: 7:01pm On Jan 19, 2015
@op I have a friend who was dating this guy in their final year and he made it clear he wasn't settling in d next four yrs, and decided they could be in an open relationship, if she meets someone who was willing to settle she was free to go!
Does it make her a runs girl?
Does it mean the guy was looking for mind blowing sex?

There is more to life than material things! smiley

7 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by Djicemob: 7:07pm On Jan 19, 2015
mzPtgemini:
@op I have a friend who was dating this guy in their final year and he made it clear he wasn't settling in d next four yrs, and decided they could be in an open relationship, if she meets someone who was willing to settle she was free to go!
Does it make her a runs girl?
Does it mean the guy was looking for mind blowing sex?

There is more to life than material things! smiley
A relationship built on nothing,What else was he looking for? A nanny? Or a stay at home mannequin? undecided

3 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by ronald4lif(m): 7:08pm On Jan 19, 2015
Djicemob:
Well you are spot on,however what i don't get is why would someone be in an open relationship? If you feel you are not ok with the relationship and you are not getting what you want,why not take a walk? why give your initial partner the illusion that you are with him or her? Is that not 'eating your cake and having it'? You are either single,dating or married.The idea of being in an open relationship gives a morally bad name to romance,relationship or whoever practice such, dont you think so? What is bad is bad,i guess someone wanted to give a sugar-coated or stylish name to something morally bad to present it in a good light hence the fanciful "open relationship phrase".

Well,like i said in a previous post,i see guys in open relationships as playboys and they are not exonerated away from this relationship vice...i think.

You are equally right on the money bruv. If one is not contented in a relationship the best they could do is take a walk out. I don't find the idea of an open relationship plausible. But on a flip side it could be that such people find it hard to be lonely or in subtle term single, so they preferably stick with their partner until they find someone better. There are also cases where some ladies (applies to men as well) are in self-denial of being in an open relationship, cases where they know they are not happy in a relationship and feels they deserve better but refuses to admit it, thinking things can change and they can make it work, but all that changes the moment they meet someone who treats them right and way better than their present partner. I think such a people can also be said to be in an open relationship albeit in self-denial.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by jnrbayano(m): 8:31am On Jan 20, 2015
Djicemob:

Beautifully said.

In my definition of it earlier I forgot to include, "hypocritical dating" in the list, though I suggested it indirectly.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by mcdokwe(m): 10:26am On Jan 20, 2015
No commitments
Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by tuffgongjo(m): 10:27am On Jan 20, 2015
Simply put;"you can fuckkk around as much as you like".
Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by ichidodo: 10:27am On Jan 20, 2015
Every man's wet dream...you get to f**k around very much and still be in a warm relationship with that which you love very much....yaay!!.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by stanisbaratheon: 10:27am On Jan 20, 2015
as the name implies it is open. In such relationship i don't own you, and you don't own me. In otherwords i can do whatever i like with whoever i want.

I refer to it as bloody relationship. If you are not the type that can tolerate nonsense don't dare go into it. Shikena
Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by MZdamola(f): 10:27am On Jan 20, 2015
Freedom to have sidechicks and sideniggaz, no hard feelings attached

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? by MrPresident1: 10:27am On Jan 20, 2015
Friends with benefit? undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lawyer Proposes To His Girlfriend On A Train Ride From Abuja To Kaduna / Can I Get Married To Her Now Or It’s Too Early? / "Before Sex, He Promised Marriage But He Stopped Talking About It Now" - Lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.